Lawn Care Business Forum Lawn Care Business Book Lawn Care Business Blog Lawn Care Software
Home Forum Contract & Flyer Templates Blog Software Videos Podcast Calculators / Estimators Store Mower Review Design It Yourself Lawn Business School

Go Back   GopherHaul Landscaping & Lawn Care Business Marketing Forum > Lawn Care, Landscaping, and Property Management Forums > General Talk

General Talk If it doesn't fit anywhere else, post it here.

The Customer


General Talk

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, post it here.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 09-03-2009, 05:56 PM
picframer's Avatar
picframer picframer is offline
Andy
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia
Posts: 2,885
Rep Power: 9
picframer will become famous soon enough
Default The Customer

We all have customer that make us sit back and wonder what the heck we are doing in this business, had a few this summer.....then there are these customers that make us want to do even more.

Back in May I had a call from the Deere dealership, there was a German man and his wife in looking at an excavator as they needed some work done, decidced it was to much $$$ and asked the sales guy who did good work, the sales guy gave me a call and explained what was going on the job was mainly drains, anyhow I talked to the guy then met with him, he is a captain of a big shipping rig, was going on a three month term but would be home in September, anyhow we talked about the project and my rates and he said he would call when he got home.

His neighbours son is one of my sons best friends and they travel together for team Canada in track, anyhow I talk to the boys parents quite often and the subject of this job came up a few weeks ago, based on their comments I was a little concerned, they have an amazing house on the ocean, the landscaping is simply amazing, I was told they are extremly hard to work for and very fussy and go through contractors like water.

Anyhow I started the job this Monday with two excavators and a loader, brought my two best operators, we finished today....what a job....128 ton's of rock and 760 feet of drains were made.

The client(s) were beside us every second we were there, we did everything they asked, after all they were paying per hour per machine, fussy would be an understatement, I took my two guys out for beer and wings tonight and we talked about them, you know as difficult as they were, their constant kind comments made them one of the best clients we have worked for this year, and their parting comments really made us smile "You are the best contractor we have hired, we will tell all our friends and we want you back next month to build gardens" they gave each of the guys a $100.00 tip as they knew there were University students, he gave me a 40oz of rum.....which I don't drink but it was nice and they want us over for beer and a barbacue Friday night with some of their friends, I never turn down food

Anyhow it was really nice to have worked for them.
__________________
Andy
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Reply With Quote

Stop guess-timating. Learn how to estimate and make money! $$$
Mow Time Estimator Lawn Care Price Estimator Mulch and Topsoil Calculator Snow Plow Estimate Calculator


  #2  
Old 09-03-2009, 06:16 PM
lawncrafter56 lawncrafter56 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Ia.
Posts: 159
Rep Power: 6
lawncrafter56 is on a distinguished road
Default

Lawn care business tipsLawn Care Business Book
Andy.. Do you do quite a few fench drains? Do you haul out the spoil?

I am thinking that would be an simple & excellent service for some to offer as most diggers are to busy to fool with such. If one were to advertise the advantages of a drain then schedule the clients for a slower date in the season like right now you could do enough to rent a mini excavator and a dump trailer and yet make good money. At your hourly rate what does a French drain cost the customer? It would be a great way for the lawn mower to break into excavation.!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-03-2009, 07:03 PM
picframer's Avatar
picframer picframer is offline
Andy
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia
Posts: 2,885
Rep Power: 9
picframer will become famous soon enough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawncrafter56 View Post
Andy.. Do you do quite a few fench drains? Do you haul out the spoil?

I am thinking that would be an simple & excellent service for some to offer as most diggers are to busy to fool with such. If one were to advertise the advantages of a drain then schedule the clients for a slower date in the season like right now you could do enough to rent a mini excavator and a dump trailer and yet make good money. At your hourly rate what does a French drain cost the customer? It would be a great way for the lawn mower to break into excavation.!
We have done 67 so far this year, they are excellent money, I gross around $780 a day, takes two to three guys, excavator and a loader, I started by using a tractor with a backhow and loader but we got to busy and a mini excavator is about four times faster.

The soil removed is left with the customer, we have had a few wanting it hauled away, in these cases I rent a dump trailer from a friend, he leaves it the night before and I call when it needs to be dumped, he gives me a rate of $150 per load and I charge the client back.

I am smaller than the big guys so I pick up a lot of jobs they don't want plus I can get where they can't so it works well.
__________________
Andy
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-03-2009, 08:44 PM
justin_time justin_time is offline
Justin
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: French River, ON, Canada
Age: 28
Posts: 1,801
Rep Power: 0
justin_time is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by picframer View Post
We all have customer that make us sit back and wonder what the heck we are doing in this business, had a few this summer.....then there are these customers that make us want to do even more.

Back in May I had a call from the Deere dealership, there was a German man and his wife in looking at an excavator as they needed some work done, decidced it was to much $$$ and asked the sales guy who did good work, the sales guy gave me a call and explained what was going on the job was mainly drains, anyhow I talked to the guy then met with him, he is a captain of a big shipping rig, was going on a three month term but would be home in September, anyhow we talked about the project and my rates and he said he would call when he got home.

His neighbours son is one of my sons best friends and they travel together for team Canada in track, anyhow I talk to the boys parents quite often and the subject of this job came up a few weeks ago, based on their comments I was a little concerned, they have an amazing house on the ocean, the landscaping is simply amazing, I was told they are extremly hard to work for and very fussy and go through contractors like water.

Anyhow I started the job this Monday with two excavators and a loader, brought my two best operators, we finished today....what a job....128 ton's of rock and 760 feet of drains were made.

The client(s) were beside us every second we were there, we did everything they asked, after all they were paying per hour per machine, fussy would be an understatement, I took my two guys out for beer and wings tonight and we talked about them, you know as difficult as they were, their constant kind comments made them one of the best clients we have worked for this year, and their parting comments really made us smile "You are the best contractor we have hired, we will tell all our friends and we want you back next month to build gardens" they gave each of the guys a $100.00 tip as they knew there were University students, he gave me a 40oz of rum.....which I don't drink but it was nice and they want us over for beer and a barbacue Friday night with some of their friends, I never turn down food

Anyhow it was really nice to have worked for them.
You can send me the Rhum, i'll take care of it
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-04-2009, 08:55 AM
Steve's Avatar
Steve Steve is online now
Administrator
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 36,285
Rep Power: 10
Steve has disabled reputation
Default

Quote:
I was told they are extremly hard to work for and very fussy and go through contractors like water.
Andy,

Do you feel when you get a heads up about a customer like this it's going to be a crap shoot where it could go either way? Or do you try to take extra special care with them to give them the attention they want while you are working?

It seems like some customers want to simply be customers while others want to be the general contractor and tell you how to do it all.
__________________
- Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-04-2009, 10:16 AM
picframer's Avatar
picframer picframer is offline
Andy
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia
Posts: 2,885
Rep Power: 9
picframer will become famous soon enough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Andy,

Do you feel when you get a heads up about a customer like this it's going to be a crap shoot where it could go either way? Or do you try to take extra special care with them to give them the attention they want while you are working?

It seems like some customers want to simply be customers while others want to be the general contractor and tell you how to do it all.
I do appreciate a heads up, at the same time I can probably cound on one hand the number of people in this world I simply could/can not work with, I am pretty easy going and we do good work.

I learned long ago when working with people, not all but most, if they are difficult and you involve them when stuff happens they were part of the problem and it makes like a lot easier.

If a client says put that large rock here even though we may feel it isn't right,we will do it, when they change their mind well, it's their nickle.

Seth, Shaun and I actually really like this client as difficult as it was having someone constantly tell you what to do or having to stop all the time and explain something, their attitude was right so it's all good.

At the same time I have had clients want to act as general contractor, as always if I have an uneasy feeling, I never take the job, that happens a few times a month, happened this Wednesday on a retaining wall, I knew without question there was going to be problems, so I thanked them and suggested they go with one of the other six quotes......that is another subject, I can get out of people just how many others have looked at their project and by the time they tell me they haven't realized where the probing questions were leading. If you get more than three quotes, IMHO something is up.
__________________
Andy
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-05-2009, 09:31 AM
Steve's Avatar
Steve Steve is online now
Administrator
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 36,285
Rep Power: 10
Steve has disabled reputation
Default

This is very interesting!

So I am guessing there is a fine line between a homeowner that wants to get involved and one that wants to be the general contractor.

How can you tell the difference? Where is that line drawn?
__________________
- Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
bad customer quickcleanlawn General Business Discussions 2 07-31-2008 10:06 PM
new customer Wendicp Gopher Software Support Archived Question & Answers - Read Only 0 08-29-2007 04:40 PM
The $20 a cut customer Steve Show Off - Picture Post - Photo Gallery 5 09-05-2006 08:18 PM
More Customer gman Show Off - Picture Post - Photo Gallery 3 07-31-2006 08:23 PM
Customer F.A.Q.'s Steve Gopher Software Support Archived Question & Answers - Read Only 0 02-23-2004 10:34 AM

» Recent Threads
  RatingTitle, Username, & Date Last Post Replies Views
Yearly contract Pricing
jrob0691
Today 08:57 AM
Today 05:08 PM
by stevef1201
3 66
Fuel Can Spouts
Shark1611
08-16-2014 09:09 AM
Today 05:06 PM
by stevef1201
10 235
Have you ever had to...
SouthernRootsLawnCare
07-26-2014 02:41 PM
Today 05:03 PM
by stevef1201
6 546
yearly contract help...
jrob0691
Today 04:09 PM
Today 04:09 PM
by jrob0691
0 12
How do I approach...
Bradcook21
Today 01:48 AM
Today 01:58 PM
by Steve
5 107
Softball field
kslawn
08-15-2014 09:28 AM
Today 01:43 PM
by Steve
9 247
Hello
M2Dave
Today 12:32 AM
Today 01:38 PM
by Steve
1 33
New Landscaping Business
rekon32
08-16-2014 02:26 PM
Today 12:33 PM
by SouthallMowing
8 304
These are the days on...
ExtremeLawncareServices
03-22-2014 09:12 AM
Yesterday 04:09 PM
by ExtremeLawncareServices
100 5,938
Downed Tree Chop Bid
WesleySnips
08-16-2014 03:47 PM
Yesterday 01:44 PM
by SGL1
10 303
2014 Gie-expo
ExtremeLawncareServices
08-19-2014 11:22 PM
Yesterday 12:01 PM
by Steve
1 58
60 inch honda/bunton...
pblawncare
08-17-2014 11:30 AM
08-18-2014 03:19 PM
by Steve
2 100
Replacement Parts -...
nicholas-KC
08-16-2014 08:40 AM
08-18-2014 03:16 PM
by Steve
4 155
Preparing the soil
Billy Goat
08-16-2014 06:18 PM
08-18-2014 03:01 PM
by Steve
1 99
What to pay help
phlawncare
08-04-2014 08:33 PM
08-18-2014 10:33 AM
by jrs.landscaping
29 861
Hello
Jeff1
08-07-2014 11:18 PM
08-15-2014 11:53 PM
by Jeff1
11 386
Lie #2 RESIDENTIAL...
ExtremeLawncareServices
01-06-2014 05:02 AM
08-15-2014 01:46 PM
by mattthelawnguy
54 6,304
Need help 30 HP koler...
Shady Grady
08-01-2014 03:31 PM
08-15-2014 08:46 AM
by kslawn
18 573
New Boomless Sprayer!
BlackRain75
01-03-2014 01:01 PM
08-14-2014 02:37 AM
by BlackRain75
12 1,732
Stihl engine isn't...
Marcintosh
08-12-2014 08:30 PM
08-13-2014 03:34 PM
by Steve
3 154
first year update
cmdlawncare
08-12-2014 05:41 PM
08-13-2014 03:29 PM
by Steve
1 197
Hello from Jacksonville,...
JM Lawn Care
08-10-2014 07:15 AM
08-13-2014 07:04 AM
by Sprinkler Buddy
9 298
Hello everyone new to...
maddyandrays
08-11-2014 04:51 PM
08-12-2014 08:58 PM
by Shark1611
2 155
Walk behinds
hpruitcei
08-07-2014 06:28 PM
08-12-2014 02:35 PM
by mattthelawnguy
7 405
New name help
stevef1201
08-10-2014 04:27 PM
08-12-2014 12:03 PM
by Steve
6 277
my little green dilemmas
Lawn Techie
08-03-2014 11:47 AM
08-11-2014 01:20 PM
by Steve
7 394
what the best...
CleanCutsLLC
08-02-2014 01:02 AM
08-11-2014 01:16 PM
by Steve
6 401
Texas lawn care company...
Livingston Lawn Care
07-25-2014 11:29 AM
08-11-2014 01:19 AM
by ExtremeLawncareServices
13 681
Covering all the bases
janslawncare
08-08-2014 10:11 AM
08-08-2014 01:41 PM
by Steve
1 226
New from Florida
ADE
08-06-2014 08:40 PM
08-08-2014 01:32 PM
by Steve
4 308
JOB - Landscape Install...
janslawncare
08-08-2014 10:06 AM
08-08-2014 10:06 AM
by janslawncare
0 194
Battery power tools or...
Steve
08-07-2014 12:24 PM
08-07-2014 05:18 PM
by mattthelawnguy
2 204
My client just told me...
Greg'slawnandlandscape
08-04-2014 08:39 AM
08-06-2014 11:14 PM
by grassdoctore
12 530
Illegal spraying
GoGreenerKS
07-04-2014 09:11 AM
08-06-2014 02:03 PM
by Steve
13 1,147
Mowing the hills
prmenter@gmail.com
07-08-2014 12:22 PM
08-06-2014 01:40 PM
by Steve
20 1,352
Crop Rotation Techniques...
eastsidelandcare
07-17-2014 03:47 PM
08-06-2014 10:29 AM
by eastsidelandcare
5 577
Got my first lawn job...
SGL1
06-11-2014 09:19 PM
08-05-2014 07:12 PM
by TheBeast
30 1,955
Late charge
Simon Abousaada
07-30-2014 07:23 PM
08-05-2014 06:46 PM
by TheBeast
12 780
buy out a lawn care...
rvezakis
08-05-2014 01:38 PM
08-05-2014 06:40 PM
by TheBeast
10 482
Please help
unitedlawncare48867
03-26-2014 08:29 PM
08-05-2014 05:27 PM
by TheBeast
27 1,565
Help with Estimate
donslawns
08-02-2014 09:10 AM
08-05-2014 02:24 PM
by Steve
6 440
Stuck again!!!!
Greg'slawnandlandscape
08-01-2014 11:02 PM
08-05-2014 09:05 AM
by Greg'slawnandlandscape
10 449
Mow and leaf cleanup bid
SGL1
07-29-2014 07:28 PM
08-05-2014 07:22 AM
by petscanning
25 949
Building credit
Matther777
07-27-2014 05:20 PM
08-04-2014 06:53 PM
by kslawn
17 741
Lowballers scrubs &...
Darksteel
01-13-2014 07:35 AM
08-04-2014 01:09 PM
by Steve
48 5,767
long time no see
Tuscan Gardens
08-02-2014 03:21 PM
08-04-2014 12:04 PM
by Steve
1 275
Pressure Washing Like a...
TNTurf
08-01-2014 11:47 PM
08-04-2014 11:58 AM
by Steve
2 317
trimming back shrubs
WesleySnips
07-31-2014 06:14 AM
08-04-2014 11:52 AM
by Steve
6 419
Pressure Washing...
WesleySnips
07-31-2014 06:13 PM
08-04-2014 11:50 AM
by Steve
3 348
Grass hopper mower
ExtremeLawncareServices
12-05-2013 08:51 AM
08-02-2014 07:55 AM
by ExtremeLawncareServices
24 3,495
» Popular Tags
2wd 4x4 ads birdscaping care charge christmas christmas light hanging collections subcontractor commercial craigslist customers ditches ecosymbiosis employee problems exmark fall ferris foreman franchise gopherhaul grass gravely holiday how much to charge how to bid husqvarna hydraulic installation invoice labor cost landscape services late lawn lawn care lawn care business seo lawn care business show lawn care business website lawn care business website seo lawn care website lawn service leaf cleanup lesco lighting brass outdoor lights marketing mowing mulch estimate new buisness podcast promotion riding mower scag scag v-ride seo small engine repair starting a business steep lawns stihl sulky theft of services tips top dresser toro trailer mate pro truck new used landscape upsell walk behind walker winter money making ideas won't return
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.1.0

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:35 PM.


(C) 2011 Riggs Publications - Terms of use & Privacy Policy

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:35 PM.

(C) 2011 Riggs Publications - Terms of use & Privacy Policy