Lawn Care Business Forum Lawn Care Business Book Lawn Care Business Blog Lawn Care Software
Home Forum Contract & Flyer Templates Blog Software Videos Podcast Calculators / Estimators Store Mower Review Design It Yourself Lawn Business School

Go Back   GopherHaul Landscaping & Lawn Care Business Marketing Forum > Business > Trials & Tribulations - The drama of running a business and of life.

Trials & Tribulations - The drama of running a business and of life. It's not as easy as it looks. Running a business is full of drama. Customers, employees, money, family, time. You name it, it's a problem. Share with us your drama and how you handled it.

What a week!


Trials & Tribulations - The drama of running a business and of life.

It's not as easy as it looks. Running a business is full of drama. Customers, employees, money, family, time. You name it, it's a problem. Share with us your drama and how you handled it.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 08-22-2009, 10:00 AM
swstout's Avatar
swstout swstout is offline
Steve
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Canastota, NY
Age: 67
Posts: 1,082
Rep Power: 9
swstout is on a distinguished road
Default What a week!

Monday started out as usual, 104F at noon. At about 1 we got a thunderstorm that hit AT&T's broadband center and sent a surge over their DSL lines. Fried my modem and about 70 others in the Hartsville area. Without the modem, I have had no phone or Internet until this morning.

It took AT&T 5 days to send me a replacement. I have a cell phone, but can't get service where I live so I have basically been out of reach for family, friends and customers. Voice mail is empty.

The temp has been in triple digits all week so I guess I got a little break. Only supposed to go up to 91 today and rain Sunday and Monday.

Because many of my customers are DIYing it now I decided to sell Nature's Lawn products to the DIYers. I pre-mix the different products for their particular turf types in quart, 1/2 gallon and gallon jugs. I offer hose end sprayers also. Until Monday, I was getting a good response.

Quart jugs cost $0.14 each in lots of 120, 1/2 gallon jugs are $0.18 in lots of 60 each and Gallon jugs are $0.49 in lots of 60 each. Labels are about $0.15 each using my color laser printer and Avery stock labels.

I contacted Nature's Lawn and they thought it was a good idea and had no problem with my doing it.

You might want to check it out.

Steve
__________________


Reply With Quote

Stop guess-timating. Learn how to estimate and make money! $$$
Mow Time Estimator Lawn Care Price Estimator Mulch and Topsoil Calculator Snow Plow Estimate Calculator


  #2  
Old 08-22-2009, 10:11 AM
turfmaster's Avatar
turfmaster turfmaster is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Midwest
Posts: 366
Rep Power: 8
turfmaster is on a distinguished road
Default

Lawn care business tipsLawn Care Business Book
Quote:
Originally Posted by swstout View Post
Monday started out as usual, 104F at noon. At about 1 we got a thunderstorm that hit AT&T's broadband center and sent a surge over their DSL lines. Fried my modem and about 70 others in the Hartsville area. Without the modem, I have had no phone or Internet until this morning.

It took AT&T 5 days to send me a replacement. I have a cell phone, but can't get service where I live so I have basically been out of reach for family, friends and customers. Voice mail is empty.

The temp has been in triple digits all week so I guess I got a little break. Only supposed to go up to 91 today and rain Sunday and Monday.

Because many of my customers are DIYing it now I decided to sell Nature's Lawn products to the DIYers. I pre-mix the different products for their particular turf types in quart, 1/2 gallon and gallon jugs. I offer hose end sprayers also. Until Monday, I was getting a good response.

Quart jugs cost $0.14 each in lots of 120, 1/2 gallon jugs are $0.18 in lots of 60 each and Gallon jugs are $0.49 in lots of 60 each. Labels are about $0.15 each using my color laser printer and Avery stock labels.

I contacted Nature's Lawn and they thought it was a good idea and had no problem with my doing it.

You might want to check it out.

Steve
Steve, How much is your mark up for the products?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-22-2009, 10:24 AM
swstout's Avatar
swstout swstout is offline
Steve
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Canastota, NY
Age: 67
Posts: 1,082
Rep Power: 9
swstout is on a distinguished road
Default Mark-up

Quote:
Originally Posted by turfmaster View Post
Steve, How much is your mark up for the products?
I calculated my cost per oz for the products including shipping and label.

For the quart bottles I mark it up 100%

For the 1/2 gallon jugs, I mark it up 75%

For the gallon jugs, I mark it up 50%

At the moment, I am delivering the product but am making arrangements with a used car lot to rent out one of his offices. It is climate controled so the bio-enhanced dethatcher can be kept in range (41 to 78 degrees F).

Different lawns have different requirements. I. E. Centipede lawns require no more that 9% N twice a year, 0% P, and no more than 5% K.

I also carry liquid sulfur, iron, and corn glutin (9-0-0) as the fertilizer and pre-emergent weed controler.

At present I am only ordring product in 2-1/2 and 5 gallon jugs. When I get it going and have the equipment to handel it, I will be ordering in 55 gallon drums.

Steve
__________________


Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-22-2009, 10:49 AM
Steve's Avatar
Steve Steve is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 38,038
Rep Power: 10
Steve has disabled reputation
Default

Quote:
Different lawns have different requirements. I. E. Centipede lawns require no more that 9% N twice a year, 0% P, and no more than 5% K.
I don't know anything about this. How does such lawn requirements effect the different mixtures you would make?

I am guessing there is a product that has Nitrogen and you mix it with (k = potassium?). Then with the two different products mixed into one new product, you are all set?
__________________
- Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-22-2009, 03:26 PM
swstout's Avatar
swstout swstout is offline
Steve
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Canastota, NY
Age: 67
Posts: 1,082
Rep Power: 9
swstout is on a distinguished road
Default mixtures

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
I don't know anything about this. How does such lawn requirements effect the different mixtures you would make?

I am guessing there is a product that has Nitrogen and you mix it with (k = potassium?). Then with the two different products mixed into one new product, you are all set?
For example, Centipede turf requires very little nitrogen (no more than 9% mixture in the spring and fall. More causes stress and disease. Most weed and feeds have too much N, P, and K so you should not use a weed and feed on Centipede. For greening use iron or sulfur. Both are very compatable with Centipede due to its low pH requirements (ideal pH is 5.0 to 6.0). For centipede, the only fertilizer I would use is liquid corn glutin - 9-0-0 (also a pre-emergent weed control). Getting the ideal formulation is a little time consuming for each grass type, but once you have it all that is left is the mixing.

Steve
__________________


Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-22-2009, 04:32 PM
Steve's Avatar
Steve Steve is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 38,038
Rep Power: 10
Steve has disabled reputation
Default

I think this is very creative!

Can you create your own brand and imagery on your label for these mixtures? Could you sell it through other local lawn care business owners? Maybe even at local garden centers?

Have you been thinking about how best to market this to reach your intended audience?
__________________
- Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-22-2009, 04:51 PM
swstout's Avatar
swstout swstout is offline
Steve
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Canastota, NY
Age: 67
Posts: 1,082
Rep Power: 9
swstout is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
I think this is very creative!

Can you create your own brand and imagery on your label for these mixtures? Could you sell it through other local lawn care business owners? Maybe even at local garden centers?

Have you been thinking about how best to market this to reach your intended audience?
At this time, I am not particularly interested in "Branding" so to speak. I am putting my own labels on with a Stout Services Lawn Care Plus title and then a description of contents and seasonal data (Early Spring, Spring, Summer, Early Fall, and Late fall). I am "specializing" the product by lawn and season.

I am not interested in supplying other lawn care business owners (at this time). I'm offering a service they haven't thought of yet. Lowe's here in Hartsville contacted me to hold some lawn care classes at the store. Their Garden manager is one of my first DIY customers.

I feel that if I wholesale to them, it will not be long before they bury me with a product of their own and economy of scale. A little competition by a small local company probably will not entice them to offer a product line that they could offer nationwide. I want to keep small and profitable until I have the resources to economically turn to wholesale.

As for marketing, I do not have it on my website yet but have started offering it on my blog. My blog is now carried on the Hartsville website. By Fall Cleanup time, I will have it on my website and run ads in the local paper.

Steve
__________________



Last edited by swstout; 08-22-2009 at 04:55 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-23-2009, 04:40 AM
Steve's Avatar
Steve Steve is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 38,038
Rep Power: 10
Steve has disabled reputation
Default

Quote:
Lowe's here in Hartsville contacted me to hold some lawn care classes at the store.
That's fantastic! You could do this and make an article on the topic and send it into the local paper for their home & garden section!
__________________
- Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-23-2009, 05:51 AM
swstout's Avatar
swstout swstout is offline
Steve
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Canastota, NY
Age: 67
Posts: 1,082
Rep Power: 9
swstout is on a distinguished road
Default Local paper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
That's fantastic! You could do this and make an article on the topic and send it into the local paper for their home & garden section!
The local paper doesn't have a home & garden section. They are more interested in selling space and church news! It comes out weekly, is about 12 pages, and usually has 5-6 pages on church news.

Advertising is not expensive and I have had good results advertizing there.

Steve
__________________


Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What A Freakin' Week! kdexpd Trials & Tribulations - The drama of running a business and of life. 6 08-27-2009 10:10 AM
Bad Start To The Week kdexpd General Talk 3 07-25-2009 11:10 PM
rough week quickcleanlawn General Talk 4 11-18-2008 01:10 PM
Bad, yet good week tiedeman General Talk 7 04-24-2006 11:16 PM
What a week!!! tiedeman General Business Discussions 16 04-04-2006 07:04 PM

» Recent Threads
  RatingTitle, Username, & Date Last Post Replies Views
Start My Own Business?
mowandblow1980
01-12-2016 07:43 PM
Yesterday 12:55 PM
by Steve
19 2,110
fliers
joshp
08-19-2016 03:23 PM
Yesterday 07:16 AM
by Chilehead
6 246
Looking for new host
Just for Cuts
11-26-2015 06:58 AM
08-24-2016 09:05 PM
by Stephen Alberts
10 1,889
Facebook advertising
Just for Cuts
12-13-2015 07:49 AM
08-24-2016 08:59 PM
by Stephen Alberts
14 13,062
Landscaper taking on odd...
WarriorLandscapingCAN
08-07-2016 06:57 PM
08-24-2016 10:27 AM
by Steve
6 457
Breaking into commercial...
SGL1
08-19-2016 07:02 AM
08-24-2016 10:12 AM
by mowandblow1980
7 263
Snow Plow
acrajchel
08-17-2016 10:21 AM
08-22-2016 11:21 AM
by Steve
5 245
Quarter Acre Woodland...
ew411
08-16-2016 06:50 AM
08-18-2016 12:25 PM
by Steve
4 237
Bidding Bushhogging
acrajchel
08-15-2016 11:52 AM
08-17-2016 05:32 PM
by acrajchel
4 231
Hello From the Florida...
KevinShuman
08-15-2016 08:57 PM
08-16-2016 01:52 PM
by SC93
2 225
I'm making stupid money...
WarriorLandscapingCAN
08-07-2016 07:07 PM
08-16-2016 12:42 AM
by SC93
5 515
A quick Intro
BLE
08-14-2016 05:17 PM
08-15-2016 10:54 AM
by acrajchel
2 225
New Customer - Gettting...
acrajchel
08-05-2016 05:00 PM
08-15-2016 10:52 AM
by acrajchel
4 488
helping out a friend set...
Doug D
08-13-2016 11:33 AM
08-15-2016 09:45 AM
by Steve
1 236
Small bed job
Bradcook21
08-09-2016 09:52 PM
08-10-2016 03:51 PM
by Steve
1 356
Hello from NoVa
jtwlawn
08-03-2016 11:20 AM
08-09-2016 10:45 AM
by jtwlawn
4 487
How much to charge for...
jymie
03-31-2013 05:59 PM
08-08-2016 04:33 PM
by Steve
27 6,624
Needing a website built
burtle
06-17-2015 09:02 AM
08-07-2016 10:21 AM
by Just for Cuts
18 19,779
Review of our lawn care...
Lawnline
07-12-2016 06:40 PM
08-07-2016 08:44 AM
by Lawnline
5 1,773
New Site Hows it look
Infinitelawn
03-16-2015 10:32 AM
08-07-2016 08:37 AM
by Lawnline
8 11,255
Hey guys! Greetings from...
thegardener
08-05-2016 05:45 AM
08-05-2016 03:26 PM
by Steve
1 398
First Time Bidding-Need...
capitallawncrew
08-01-2016 08:30 AM
08-03-2016 09:52 AM
by Steve
3 530
Show us your stripes
Just for Cuts
05-21-2015 03:07 PM
08-01-2016 08:28 PM
by ExclusiveLawns
7 3,772
String trim BEFORE mow...
Mr. Mow
04-12-2015 08:13 AM
07-31-2016 10:36 AM
by joshp
13 5,918
Now Hiring Just South of...
Chilehead
07-27-2016 11:38 AM
07-27-2016 11:38 AM
by Chilehead
0 389
» Popular Tags
apartment become an entrepreneur best mower be your own boss bidding break business business education business help business management complex contractor hacks contracts deck lift dethatcher edging entrepreneur entrepreneur education estimate estimates fuel problems fuel pump half moon blade intro introduction jjandm lawncare l.t.rich landscape landscape design landscaping landscaping design company landscaping richmond va landscping lawn lawncare lawnservice lowering grade marketing mulch planting raising grade residential lawn care richmond va richmond virginia lawn care safety scag snowblower snow plowing snow shovel sprayer start a business start a lawn care business start business start up toro timecutter townhome tree tree service video web design websites what to charge work from home z-max z-spray
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.1.0

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:52 AM.


(C) 2011 Riggs Publications - Terms of use & Privacy Policy

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:52 AM.

(C) 2011 Riggs Publications - Terms of use & Privacy Policy