Lawn Care Business Forum Lawn Care Business Book Lawn Care Business Blog Lawn Care Software
Home Forum Contract & Flyer Templates Blog Software Videos Podcast Calculators / Estimators Store Mower Review Design It Yourself Lawn Business School

Go Back   GopherHaul Landscaping & Lawn Care Business Marketing Forum > Business > Trials & Tribulations - The drama of running a business and of life.

Trials & Tribulations - The drama of running a business and of life. It's not as easy as it looks. Running a business is full of drama. Customers, employees, money, family, time. You name it, it's a problem. Share with us your drama and how you handled it.

Stuck in a rut


Trials & Tribulations - The drama of running a business and of life.

It's not as easy as it looks. Running a business is full of drama. Customers, employees, money, family, time. You name it, it's a problem. Share with us your drama and how you handled it.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #21  
Old 08-22-2009, 01:24 PM
MikeO
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default well

LOL...overpaid and underworked has its advantages as well.... I think only you can decide for yourself what the best option is for you and your family is. I know for me I have to keep moving and making money and people like me have no choice really. I am a certified welder i can go anywhere and work. I make more doing this then i would doing that. I do both, one for not very long. So, i just plug away I have great benefits at my current job and thats why i am still there untill i can produce enough $$$ every month to be able to walk away and not worry about that. Lot of variables.
Reply With Quote

Stop guess-timating. Learn how to estimate and make money! $$$
Mow Time Estimator Lawn Care Price Estimator Mulch and Topsoil Calculator Snow Plow Estimate Calculator


  #22  
Old 08-22-2009, 03:06 PM
Steve's Avatar
Steve Steve is online now
Administrator
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 35,752
Rep Power: 10
Steve has disabled reputation
Default

Lawn care business tipsLawn Care Business Book
Quote:
I jsut got this overwhelming feeling the other day that is for the most part unexplainable. I don't know what brought it on.
Last week, one of my friend's lost his mother to a long illness. I hadn't gotten much of a chance to talk to him at all until the other day and I sat down and looked at him.

He had a thousand yard stare and it was very difficult for him to engage into the conversation. We were talking and I asked when he was going back to work and he said he didn't know if he would. He was saying this as his young son wandered about the room.

He looked up at me and said he didn't know why he had spent so much of his life working with people he didnt like. Spending the majority of the day with people he didn't like and then spending the least amount of time with his new son.

He felt he should be spending more time with him because he was coming to the conclusion life is short.

What will he do? I don't know.

But I don't think it takes a death to put you into the mood of reflecting on things.

A brief moment of pondering can do it and then you start to wonder. What is it I am doing? Why am I doing it?

We all tend to get where we are at, slowly over time with small steps that don't stand out. Then one day we are somewhere, where we might not have wanted to be and wonder how we got there.

Maybe this realization is good though as a course correction. Maybe we need times like these to regroup and re-evaluate. Then we can come up with a new direction. But this is always really tough to do. It's hard to break old habits.
__________________
- Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 08-22-2009, 04:03 PM
CHEESE2009's Avatar
CHEESE2009 CHEESE2009 is offline
Dr. Scott - Ruler of the Underworld
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Switzerland, Grindelwald
Age: 73
Posts: 4,475
Rep Power: 10
CHEESE2009 is on a distinguished road
Default

I have a few plans which keep me interested in my work.

I think the problem is that your doing all this work with no time to enjoy life to the fullest!


I plan to expand & bring in more money until I can afford a nice big ol' boat!

With the boat I can start a company where I take people fishing, or just an adventure, maybe an expedition! LMAO

Fisher Boat
Water Taxi
Luxury Dining (could have a chef on board) where people come on board & pay big money to eat fine food out in the middle of nowhere.

I have no set idea! Sounds like a great retirement job to me.



Do you have any future plans to keep you motivated? Maybe you haven't figured out what you want to do for a living yet?
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 08-22-2009, 04:09 PM
Steve's Avatar
Steve Steve is online now
Administrator
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 35,752
Rep Power: 10
Steve has disabled reputation
Default

Quote:
Maybe you haven't figured out what you want to do for a living yet?
Also who's to say if there is ever a single thing that is out there that you would want to do for a living. It could be possible that it changes overtime. New interests arise as older interests get boring.
__________________
- Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 08-22-2009, 07:44 PM
jasonw's Avatar
jasonw jasonw is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,008
Rep Power: 7
jasonw is on a distinguished road
Default

id almost bet it had somthing to do withnot getting big enough fast enough. i had one job this week which sucks. next week however i have at least 3 going. it would be nice to get more and make more money but calls have compleatly stoped coming in now
__________________
White Company
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 08-22-2009, 07:54 PM
jasonw's Avatar
jasonw jasonw is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,008
Rep Power: 7
jasonw is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BREEZE2009 View Post
I have a few plans which keep me interested in my work.

I think the problem is that your doing all this work with no time to enjoy life to the fullest!


I plan to expand & bring in more money until I can afford a nice big ol' boat!

With the boat I can start a company where I take people fishing, or just an adventure, maybe an expedition! LMAO

Fisher Boat
Water Taxi
Luxury Dining (could have a chef on board) where people come on board & pay big money to eat fine food out in the middle of nowhere.

I have no set idea! Sounds like a great retirement job to me.



Do you have any future plans to keep you motivated? Maybe you haven't figured out what you want to do for a living yet?
no plans. i live for today not for tomorow
__________________
White Company
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 08-22-2009, 08:35 PM
MikeO
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default ok

what have you been doing for advertising to drive people to call you?
What are you offering as services?
What makes you stand out from everybody else that are in this line?
The phone needs to ring everyday so, the work comes in.

The biggest reason thsat motivates me is my 2 year old daughter.
what is going to happen in 18 years from now when she wants schooling or a vehicle or wants to move to puerto vallarta mexico? How can I offord all that?

guys like me have to keep working and moving. when i spend 5 dollars i have to find a way to make 15.00. That is my mindset. It has to be. If you have advertised in the past how many calls were you getting daily/weekly?

I saw your website are you going to do more with it?
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 08-23-2009, 02:53 AM
Steve's Avatar
Steve Steve is online now
Administrator
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 35,752
Rep Power: 10
Steve has disabled reputation
Default

Quote:
id almost bet it had somthing to do withnot getting big enough fast enough. i had one job this week which sucks. next week however i have at least 3 going. it would be nice to get more and make more money but calls have compleatly stoped coming in now
This is a very good point. When a business is getting going there is a lot of frustration because you have all this energy and all this time and you just want to fill it up with work and be as productive as possible.

I can understand this and we were talking about this recently in another post. One of the things you can do is, if you can't be working on work and find you have a lot of energy and un-optimized time, you can try to take it and harness it and come up with creative ideas to market yourself.

I bet there are plenty of other entrepreneurs in your area in the same boat. Feeling the same way. They may not do anything to stand out and differentiate themselves. But you can, if you want too.

MikeO just brought up a lot of great questions. All of these things can be focused on and worked on.

You might find that realizing others go through this same mental situation at times will show that you are not alone. And because you are not alone you might see this as part of the growth process of a business. Then you might want to take it and use it as energy to fuel your creative thought process and push yourself forwards even more.

You can do it.
__________________
- Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 08-23-2009, 10:12 AM
jasonw's Avatar
jasonw jasonw is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,008
Rep Power: 7
jasonw is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeO View Post
what have you been doing for advertising to drive people to call you?
What are you offering as services?
What makes you stand out from everybody else that are in this line?
The phone needs to ring everyday so, the work comes in.

The biggest reason thsat motivates me is my 2 year old daughter.
what is going to happen in 18 years from now when she wants schooling or a vehicle or wants to move to puerto vallarta mexico? How can I offord all that?

guys like me have to keep working and moving. when i spend 5 dollars i have to find a way to make 15.00. That is my mindset. It has to be. If you have advertised in the past how many calls were you getting daily/weekly?

I saw your website are you going to do more with it?
Curently my services are
Lawn maintenance (mowing, edging, etc)
Leaf Removal
Insect Spraying
Weed Spraying
Drip Systems
Bush Trimming
Chipping/Shredding

I need to remove the chipping/shredding though as my chipper is out of commission and I am not sure I can fix it.

As far as advertising I have been pouting out fliers, handing out cards. Posting to craigs list and my local paper. So far 100% of my business has come from the local paper. I am not sure what makes me stand out other than reliability and good honest work. Unfortunately I don't get much motivation. I do have 2 kids as well but if one wants a car or a trip to Mexico I would just go buy them a car or give them a credit card. As far as schooling its already paid for. I maintain an education account for my children so they will have no worried when the day comes. Calls would come in spuraticly. I live in a fairly rural area and would get a few calls every few days but have gotten no calls the past couple weeks. I have been reflecting on all this and think there are some organizational problems as well. Mainly with the quotes I am giving people. I was not writing them down then got buisy enough to start forgetting. I would give a quote then a few days later get a call to do the work and forget the price I quoted. I have not had anyone question a bill yet though so I must begetting lucky. I am now writing all this info down though. I also have no set business bank account. I have 2 checking accounts, 4 savings accounts and a brokerage account and when I get paid I just toss the money in what ever account I want to so maybe designating one for only business would be a good idea.
__________________
White Company
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 08-23-2009, 10:14 AM
jasonw's Avatar
jasonw jasonw is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,008
Rep Power: 7
jasonw is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
This is a very good point. When a business is getting going there is a lot of frustration because you have all this energy and all this time and you just want to fill it up with work and be as productive as possible.

I can understand this and we were talking about this recently in another post. One of the things you can do is, if you can't be working on work and find you have a lot of energy and un-optimized time, you can try to take it and harness it and come up with creative ideas to market yourself.

I bet there are plenty of other entrepreneurs in your area in the same boat. Feeling the same way. They may not do anything to stand out and differentiate themselves. But you can, if you want too.

MikeO just brought up a lot of great questions. All of these things can be focused on and worked on.

You might find that realizing others go through this same mental situation at times will show that you are not alone. And because you are not alone you might see this as part of the growth process of a business. Then you might want to take it and use it as energy to fuel your creative thought process and push yourself forwards even more.

You can do it.
That may be possible Steve. I have never gone through this though. I have simply had an idea, acted on it and made money. This is the first time I can honestly say I had to work towards a business venture.
__________________
White Company
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I got stuck in the mudd pretty bad last summer... musician/lawnman Show Off - Picture Post - Photo Gallery 14 01-20-2009 07:56 AM
Getting stuck in wet turf. Steve Lawn Maintenance / Lawn Renovation 12 05-18-2006 11:30 PM

» Recent Threads
  RatingTitle, Username, & Date Last Post Replies Views
Customers droping like...
goodtimez
Yesterday 09:53 AM
Yesterday 09:36 PM
by Greg'slawnandlandscape
6 113
2.5 acre mowing
xandrew245x
Yesterday 06:55 AM
Yesterday 08:57 PM
by xandrew245x
6 96
new to this forum!
mower13126
Yesterday 07:37 PM
Yesterday 07:37 PM
by mower13126
0 32
Back for this year
xandrew245x
02-21-2014 04:30 PM
Yesterday 05:36 PM
by Steve
13 836
Best Bulk Mulch delivery...
Steven Virgadamo
Yesterday 09:52 AM
Yesterday 05:34 PM
by Steve
2 50
this mower is driving me...
boog
04-17-2014 12:07 PM
Yesterday 05:10 PM
by Steve
3 107
Steve Virgadamo,...
Steven Virgadamo
Yesterday 09:49 AM
Yesterday 05:08 PM
by Steve
2 43
Instagram
Gerardo_Landscape
04-16-2014 11:28 AM
Yesterday 04:51 PM
by Steve
3 85
What Fertilizer to Use?
acrajchel
04-07-2014 01:56 PM
Yesterday 04:49 PM
by Steve
11 330
Help with weed liability!
Prolawnofchatt
04-15-2014 09:10 AM
Yesterday 04:47 PM
by Steve
5 175
Looking for advice on a...
Tekeda1
04-13-2014 09:53 AM
Yesterday 04:43 PM
by Steve
16 338
These are the days on...
ExtremeLawncareServices
03-22-2014 09:12 AM
Yesterday 04:41 PM
by Steve
31 1,035
Nationwide lawn care...
Billy Goat
04-15-2014 05:21 PM
Yesterday 04:39 PM
by Steve
9 192
Truck Signage
Dan Tanner
04-16-2014 11:00 PM
Yesterday 04:04 PM
by stevef1201
10 185
leaf removal
tlf59263
04-15-2014 10:00 PM
Yesterday 03:59 PM
by stevef1201
6 162
REO calling
Dan Tanner
04-16-2014 05:03 PM
Yesterday 10:06 AM
by kslawn
9 212
Pay per click advertising
roostertail
02-12-2014 07:26 PM
04-17-2014 07:11 PM
by yardrate
10 600
Accepting credit cards,...
Darksteel
03-17-2014 08:01 PM
04-16-2014 01:02 PM
by jymie
15 713
Trimec
acrajchel
04-15-2014 08:24 PM
04-16-2014 11:10 AM
by Steve
3 94
Gopher Forum Discount!
BlackRain75
04-12-2014 10:44 PM
04-16-2014 10:50 AM
by Steve
9 264
hello
NFrailey
04-15-2014 01:39 PM
04-16-2014 10:48 AM
by Steve
1 85
Any greenhouse operators...
GoGreenerKS
04-15-2014 11:21 AM
04-16-2014 10:43 AM
by Steve
3 110
Pricing a Mulch Job
dmcalpi
04-07-2014 02:16 PM
04-16-2014 09:40 AM
by jymie
21 594
google earth
CDLAWNCARE
04-12-2014 03:24 PM
04-16-2014 09:36 AM
by jymie
8 221
There has to be an...
CDLAWNCARE
04-14-2014 12:59 PM
04-15-2014 04:06 PM
by Dan Tanner
6 163
First Day Back!
BelleCityLawn1
04-09-2014 09:13 PM
04-15-2014 11:16 AM
by Steve
11 298
Mow America
stevegredler
04-13-2014 01:02 PM
04-14-2014 09:53 PM
by kslawn
5 197
Power Broom
acrajchel
04-14-2014 07:46 AM
04-14-2014 12:47 PM
by CDLAWNCARE
2 99
Say Hello !!!
Steve
03-19-2007 11:18 AM
04-14-2014 11:34 AM
by Steve
1,176 285,301
Equipment reviews
Greg'slawnandlandscape
04-09-2014 07:17 AM
04-14-2014 11:27 AM
by Greg'slawnandlandscape
13 419
Sulky and Turf Tracer
acrajchel
04-07-2014 01:44 PM
04-14-2014 10:51 AM
by Steve
8 318
Aerating Prices?
Dan Tanner
04-08-2014 03:16 PM
04-14-2014 10:31 AM
by Steve
13 419
Estimating help
acrajchel
04-11-2014 06:06 PM
04-14-2014 10:20 AM
by Steve
3 167
Lawn Renovation
stevef1201
04-11-2014 12:00 PM
04-14-2014 10:03 AM
by Steve
5 191
Need help bidding church...
GreenRidge Lawn&Landscape
04-07-2014 08:01 PM
04-14-2014 09:49 AM
by Steve
12 403
Hello all
Griff20114
04-12-2014 05:08 PM
04-14-2014 09:46 AM
by Steve
1 111
Step by Step Spring Lawn...
WarriorLawnscaping
04-10-2014 07:01 AM
04-14-2014 09:43 AM
by Steve
5 232
Jeff Cowden
jcowden
04-11-2014 07:27 PM
04-14-2014 09:39 AM
by Steve
1 105
Exmark Commercial 30...
Dan Tanner
04-11-2014 05:35 AM
04-14-2014 09:37 AM
by Steve
4 188
What Was Your Setup When...
superrman77
02-11-2014 10:53 AM
04-14-2014 08:04 AM
by acrajchel
21 1,583
Small guy time to get a...
googus
04-08-2014 08:16 AM
04-13-2014 07:18 PM
by A. Kulak Landscaping
9 316
Weekly vs. Bi-weekly
CDLAWNCARE
04-12-2014 01:48 PM
04-13-2014 06:03 PM
by kslawn
9 328
Weed ID help
TwinBrosLC
04-12-2014 10:39 AM
04-13-2014 07:40 AM
by stevef1201
4 161
Lexington, KY
acrajchel
04-07-2014 01:06 PM
04-11-2014 09:49 PM
by acrajchel
1 133
Food Plot Management
BlackRain75
04-11-2014 10:20 AM
04-11-2014 03:51 PM
by Steve
4 132
Estimating a job
acrajchel
04-08-2014 11:07 AM
04-11-2014 03:32 PM
by Steve
6 291
New Boomless Sprayer!
BlackRain75
01-03-2014 01:01 PM
04-11-2014 03:25 PM
by Steve
11 1,004
Hello....
SWFloridaLawns
04-10-2014 06:15 PM
04-11-2014 02:28 PM
by Steve
2 125
Truck, Trailer,...
hawthornelawncare
12-23-2011 12:01 AM
04-10-2014 10:33 PM
by ExtremeLawncareServices
78 25,074
Trading Accounts
goodtimez
04-09-2014 05:42 PM
04-10-2014 01:55 PM
by Steve
2 159
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.1.0

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:13 AM.


(C) 2011 Riggs Publications - Terms of use & Privacy Policy

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:13 AM.

(C) 2011 Riggs Publications - Terms of use & Privacy Policy