Lawn Care Business Forum Lawn Care Business Book Lawn Care Business Blog Lawn Care Software
Home Forum Contract & Flyer Templates Blog Software Videos Podcast Calculators / Estimators Store Mower Review Design It Yourself Lawn Business School

Go Back   GopherHaul Landscaping & Lawn Care Business Marketing Forum > Just starting your lawn care or landscaping business? > Starting a lawn care business.

Starting a lawn care business. How to start a lawn mowing business, lawn care business, or landscaping business. If you are starting a lawn care business, ask your questions here.

Minimum charge per lawn?


Starting a lawn care business.

How to start a lawn mowing business, lawn care business, or landscaping business. If you are starting a lawn care business, ask your questions here.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 07-30-2009, 01:57 PM
shaunster
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Minimum charge per lawn?

What should the minimum charge be per lawn..

I have it set at $35.00 ??

Cut, Trim ,Bagged..

Cheers,
Shaun
Reply With Quote

Stop guess-timating. Learn how to estimate and make money! $$$
Mow Time Estimator Lawn Care Price Estimator Mulch and Topsoil Calculator Snow Plow Estimate Calculator


  #2  
Old 07-30-2009, 03:29 PM
mark123's Avatar
mark123 mark123 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Pennsyltucky
Posts: 1,402
Rep Power: 7
mark123 is on a distinguished road
Default

Lawn care business tipsLawn Care Business Book
The way I set my minimum price is with a stop charge which I add to the amount I ask per 1000 square feet. The stop charge is the amount I want to drive there, unload my equipment and load it up again to go to the next one. I doubt you'd sell a city lot at $35. I do some houses that are 800 square feet each. Each one takes me about 10 total minutes including weed whacking and blowing. Even asking $14 each that extrapolates to $84 per hour.

The stop charge plus certain amount per 1000 square feet makes the smaller lawns more profitable especially if you line up more than one at one stop.

Why are you bagging?

Last edited by mark123; 07-30-2009 at 03:32 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-30-2009, 03:39 PM
shaunster
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark123 View Post
The way I set my minimum price is with a stop charge which I add to the amount I ask per 1000 square feet. The stop charge is the amount I want to drive there, unload my equipment and load it up again to go to the next one. I doubt you'd sell a city lot at $35. I do some houses that are 800 square feet each. Each one takes me about 10 total minutes including weed whacking and blowing. Even asking $14 each that extrapolates to $84 per hour.

The stop charge plus certain amount per 1000 square feet makes the smaller lawns more profitable especially if you line up more than one at one stop.

Why are you bagging?
When I say bagging..On my mowers we have bags..so we just remove all the cuttings..no racking..

Some say you should price each lawn by the minute..??

Shaun
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-30-2009, 04:12 PM
mark123's Avatar
mark123 mark123 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Pennsyltucky
Posts: 1,402
Rep Power: 7
mark123 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaunster View Post
When I say bagging..On my mowers we have bags..so we just remove all the cuttings..no racking..
I have no idea what racking is but bagging the clippings is detrimental to the and is more work. I can't see an upside to doing it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaunster View Post
Some say you should price each lawn by the minute..??
By the minute or by the square foot. Each square foot takes a certain amount of time so area is time and time is area, right.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-30-2009, 04:19 PM
Steve's Avatar
Steve Steve is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 36,540
Rep Power: 10
Steve has disabled reputation
Default

Hi shaunster,

Have you gotten a chance to play around with our business calculators yet?

They will get you thinking about how much your overhead is and how much you need to charge per hour.

Ultimately you want to know what your expenses are. Then you want to figure out how much you need to charge per hour to cover those expenses and make a profit.

When you are first getting started you see a lot of business owners not sure of what their expenses are so they shoot for a $45 to $60 an hour range when they are bidding. But as you are in business longer you learn more what YOU need to be profitable and you base your prices on what YOU need. Not what others need.

Does this help?
__________________
- Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-30-2009, 04:28 PM
shaunster
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Hi shaunster,

Have you gotten a chance to play around with our business calculators yet?

They will get you thinking about how much your overhead is and how much you need to charge per hour.

Ultimately you want to know what your expenses are. Then you want to figure out how much you need to charge per hour to cover those expenses and make a profit.

When you are first getting started you see a lot of business owners not sure of what their expenses are so they shoot for a $45 to $60 an hour range when they are bidding. But as you are in business longer you learn more what YOU need to be profitable and you base your prices on what YOU need. Not what others need.

Does this help?
Thanks guys for your response..

And yes Steve this whole forum has been a great spot for guys like me that are just starting out..I'm up here in Nova Scotia, Canada so the season is short..

I may be over pricing some of my jobs and in return is why I'm not getting them..I'll take a look at the business calculators ..

Thanks again,
Shaun
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-30-2009, 04:48 PM
Steve's Avatar
Steve Steve is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 36,540
Rep Power: 10
Steve has disabled reputation
Default

Quote:
I may be over pricing some of my jobs and in return is why I'm not getting them..I'll take a look at the business calculators ..
Well if you want to experiment, when you give your bids, do it in person. See how the homeowner reacts to your bid. If they sign up on the spot, great! If they don't, try and figure out why they aren't. Ask them what you could do to get them to agree.

The more you ask your potential customers, the more you will learn.

Don't let this be a mystery. Ask them what you need to do to resolve the issue so you can perform their yard service.

I'd love to hear what happens from this.

Keep me posted.
__________________
- Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-30-2009, 04:52 PM
shaunster
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Well if you want to experiment, when you give your bids, do it in person. See how the homeowner reacts to your bid. If they sign up on the spot, great! If they don't, try and figure out why they aren't. Ask them what you could do to get them to agree.

The more you ask your potential customers, the more you will learn.

Don't let this be a mystery. Ask them what you need to do to resolve the issue so you can perform their yard service.

I'd love to hear what happens from this.

Keep me posted.
We will..

Cheers!,
Shaun
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-30-2009, 06:18 PM
justin_time justin_time is offline
Justin
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: French River, ON, Canada
Age: 29
Posts: 1,801
Rep Power: 0
justin_time is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaunster View Post
Thanks guys for your response..

And yes Steve this whole forum has been a great spot for guys like me that are just starting out..I'm up here in Nova Scotia, Canada so the season is short..

I may be over pricing some of my jobs and in return is why I'm not getting them..I'll take a look at the business calculators ..

Thanks again,
Shaun
I welcome another Canadian onto this forum I am from Northern Ontario, just to let you know
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07-30-2009, 06:28 PM
ritchiem
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

I charge a minimum of $35.00 per lawn...never any less. There are some companies in my area that charge $50.00 minimum...which is ridiculous IMO. If you have the quality to back up what you are charging you'll never have a problem.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
GopherHaul Lawn Care Business Show. How to charge bi-weekly lawn care customers. Steve GopherHaul Lawn Care Business Show, Video, Book & Podcast Discussions. 0 07-22-2009 02:28 PM
GopherHaul Lawn Care Business Show. How to charge bi-weekly lawn care customers. Steve Lawn Care Business Marketing - GopherHaul Forum News 0 07-22-2009 02:27 PM
What to charge for new lawn and sprinkler install? espartolawncare Online Lawn Care Estimator - Help me bid this job 4 04-17-2009 02:14 PM
Minimum wage $9.50? Steve General Business Discussions 3 07-29-2006 09:16 PM
Minimum charge tiedeman General Business Discussions 8 04-29-2006 03:09 AM

» Recent Threads
  RatingTitle, Username, & Date Last Post Replies Views
hello, new to this site
tonyorwig
Yesterday 09:49 PM
Yesterday 11:10 PM
by biglee
1 47
Lawn Care business...
crieg122
10-23-2014 01:23 PM
Yesterday 10:29 PM
by ExtremeLawncareServices
18 817
These are the days on...
ExtremeLawncareServices
03-22-2014 09:12 AM
Yesterday 10:08 PM
by ExtremeLawncareServices
161 12,152
Pavers
crieg122
10-28-2014 02:49 PM
Yesterday 12:49 PM
by Steve
6 302
Client won't pay...
WesleySnips
10-30-2014 02:53 PM
Yesterday 12:00 PM
by Steve
6 225
Hi Steve From West...
Mr. Mow
10-21-2014 01:59 PM
Yesterday 11:56 AM
by Steve
5 620
Got my first lawn job...
SGL1
06-11-2014 09:19 PM
Yesterday 09:53 AM
by Max Wagner
30 2,571
Gie-review / What's new...
ExtremeLawncareServices
10-25-2014 09:19 AM
Yesterday 09:30 AM
by ExtremeLawncareServices
7 517
Business Name
sanchez5
10-28-2014 11:55 PM
Yesterday 05:51 AM
by ringahding1
10 355
"Price...
Mr. Mow
10-30-2014 03:21 PM
Yesterday 05:48 AM
by ringahding1
3 197
Help a brother...
tbtigers03
09-28-2014 11:41 AM
Yesterday 05:41 AM
by ringahding1
15 1,996
sod job
SGlawncare
10-30-2014 08:21 PM
10-30-2014 08:21 PM
by SGlawncare
0 49
Difference between lawn...
sanchez5
10-29-2014 04:20 PM
10-30-2014 02:08 PM
by Steve
2 225
My Newest Toy (B.P....
Dan Tanner
10-23-2014 05:50 PM
10-29-2014 12:26 PM
by Steve
6 576
West cost lawn prices
SGlawncare
10-09-2014 09:51 PM
10-28-2014 11:08 PM
by SGlawncare
4 938
Say Hello !!!
Steve
03-19-2007 11:18 AM
10-28-2014 02:51 PM
by Steve
1,193 341,225
Business Cards
crieg122
10-25-2014 12:03 PM
10-28-2014 02:37 PM
by crieg122
4 450
So how do you guys...
Mr. Mow
10-26-2014 07:55 AM
10-28-2014 04:56 AM
by Billy Goat
2 386
Pressure Washing Like a...
TNTurf
08-01-2014 11:47 PM
10-27-2014 10:36 PM
by SGlawncare
12 1,304
new to the forum
madmedic8575
10-24-2014 02:52 PM
10-27-2014 12:14 PM
by Steve
1 407
Dealing With Gas Can...
Mr. Mow
10-21-2014 01:41 PM
10-26-2014 10:59 AM
by stevef1201
13 774
Leaf removal
madmedic8575
10-24-2014 04:14 PM
10-26-2014 07:45 AM
by Mr. Mow
5 542
raking leaves ?
robert8509
10-22-2014 09:19 PM
10-25-2014 12:09 PM
by biglee
10 678
Leaf Box & Loader Set...
ringahding1
10-21-2014 06:20 AM
10-25-2014 11:46 AM
by crieg122
6 670
hey everyone
robert8509
10-22-2014 08:16 PM
10-24-2014 11:07 PM
by robert8509
7 567
12 Years in Business!
Chilehead
10-23-2014 08:07 AM
10-23-2014 11:08 PM
by Chilehead
2 485
Cheapskate Landlord...
Mr. Mow
10-20-2014 06:33 AM
10-23-2014 05:55 PM
by biglee
13 825
Hi from SoCal
Jmoney
10-23-2014 11:29 AM
10-23-2014 12:51 PM
by Steve
1 446
Workmans compensation...
CDLAWNCARE
10-15-2014 08:05 AM
10-23-2014 12:33 PM
by Steve
5 919
Pda
stevef1201
10-18-2014 02:05 PM
10-23-2014 06:12 AM
by ringahding1
4 747
Hello, from TEXAS
sanchez5
10-17-2014 09:56 PM
10-22-2014 01:27 PM
by Steve
6 813
Organic Lawn Care...
NHray
10-17-2014 06:05 PM
10-22-2014 01:23 PM
by Steve
3 773
first year update
cmdlawncare
08-12-2014 05:41 PM
10-22-2014 07:47 AM
by ringahding1
4 1,764
What parts do you carry...
Just for Cuts
10-17-2014 09:08 AM
10-21-2014 01:36 PM
by Mr. Mow
16 1,058
Jungle to Beautiful
stevef1201
10-17-2014 09:54 AM
10-21-2014 01:26 PM
by stevef1201
11 917
Sunny Beach Tennis...
SGL1
10-19-2014 11:24 PM
10-21-2014 01:04 PM
by SGL1
4 646
Have you ever had to...
SouthernRootsLawnCare
07-26-2014 02:41 PM
10-20-2014 08:34 PM
by biglee
10 2,240
Look out Bob Villa -...
Mr Dave
09-30-2014 10:06 AM
10-20-2014 05:42 PM
by SGL1
7 1,743
how to fi d commercial...
mchampion319
10-19-2014 09:50 PM
10-20-2014 04:41 PM
by Steve
1 609
Hello From Tennessee
mrmann901
10-17-2014 10:02 PM
10-20-2014 04:24 PM
by Steve
1 681
questions on order to...
jack2048
10-13-2014 11:15 AM
10-20-2014 03:27 PM
by Mr. Mow
15 1,142
This sucks...
Matther777
09-18-2014 04:56 PM
10-20-2014 02:14 PM
by Steve
14 2,683
Cement mixer
KevinsLawns
10-15-2014 08:03 PM
10-20-2014 02:11 PM
by Steve
7 863
Hello ! New guy Rob here
RWorthley1
10-17-2014 04:05 PM
10-20-2014 02:09 PM
by Steve
1 717
Snow Blowing
gwilson98
10-12-2014 02:21 PM
10-17-2014 02:51 PM
by Steve
6 1,065
Spreading Weeds?
WesleySnips
07-27-2014 09:46 PM
10-17-2014 07:49 AM
by SGL1
6 1,364
Grasswhoopins.com Anyone...
GRASS WHOOPINS
06-21-2011 11:38 PM
10-16-2014 01:30 PM
by ExtremeLawncareServices
42 9,767
I Want to buy old...
ExtremeLawncareServices
10-10-2014 10:04 PM
10-15-2014 09:12 PM
by ExtremeLawncareServices
6 1,074
Do you find weed eating...
chuck2s
10-15-2014 02:10 PM
10-15-2014 02:10 PM
by chuck2s
0 794
Incorporating &...
WesleySnips
10-01-2014 09:39 PM
10-15-2014 01:37 PM
by kslawn
20 1,940
» Popular Tags
4wd aerocore apartment bid apartment lawn care estimate applying article marketing bid billy goat brushcutter blades bush charge collections subcontractor decorating deliquentaccounts ditches employee problems equipment rental estimate exmark ferris first truck foreman georgia gopherhaul gravely growing a lawn care business honda how much to charge husqvarna hydraulic installation introduction landscape services lawn lawn care lawn care business lawn care business seo lawn care business show lawn care business website lawn care business website seo lawn care website marketing mechanic monthly mulch mulch price new business new mower ordinance podcast reo running a business scag scag v-ride search engine optimization seo shreaded snow snow plowing starting a business start up lawn care business steep lawns steve stihl theft of services toro trailer truck new used landscape walker won't return
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.1.0

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:53 AM.


(C) 2011 Riggs Publications - Terms of use & Privacy Policy

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:53 AM.

(C) 2011 Riggs Publications - Terms of use & Privacy Policy