Lawn Care Business Forum Lawn Care Business Book Lawn Care Business Blog Lawn Care Software
Home Forum Contract & Flyer Templates Blog Software Videos Podcast Calculators / Estimators Store Mower Review Design It Yourself Lawn Business School

Go Back   GopherHaul Landscaping & Lawn Care Business Marketing Forum > Lawn Care, Landscaping, and Property Management Forums > Lawn Maintenance / Lawn Renovation

Lawn Maintenance / Lawn Renovation
A great way to talk about all things lawn care related. Grass, turf, shrubs, trees, aeration, fertilization, reseeding, hydro-seeding, mowing, grub control, chemicals and pesticides. Ask questions, give answers. Grow!

commercial grade battery lawn equipment

Lawn Maintenance / Lawn Renovation

A great way to talk about all things lawn care related. Grass, turf, shrubs, trees, aeration, fertilization, reseeding, hydro-seeding, mowing, grub control, chemicals and pesticides. Ask questions, give answers. Grow!

Old 01-17-2010, 08:36 PM
Administrator

Steve has disabled reputation

Well if you build the brand and create an operations manual, I am sure you could expand it.

Stop guess-timating. Learn how to estimate and make money! $$$
Mow Time Estimator Lawn Care Price Estimator Mulch and Topsoil Calculator Snow Plow Estimate Calculator

Old 01-23-2010, 11:18 PM
Justin

justin_time is on a distinguished road
Default Video

Old 01-24-2010, 04:01 PM
Administrator

Good find on the video. The product looks really interesting. I like the glowing orange parts
Old 01-25-2010, 01:55 AM
Dr. Scott - Ruler of the Underworld

CHEESE2009 is on a distinguished road

Old 01-25-2010, 12:45 PM
SuperiorPower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Yea but you gotta admit, it's a creative niche and there are a group of customers out there who want that.

I don't think anyone is saying electric equipment is going to replace gas equipment now but who knows what the future holds! Technology is always progressing and I am sure we will be impressed with what is created.

Sure, it is a creative niche, but it is just that a niche. It is not even remotely a smart move for a commercial user.

And yes, Our dear Bob here did say that they will have to replace gas powered equipment:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob91403 View Post
Sounds like you're full of gas. 110 accounts sounds like a pretty big operation. How many employees, trucks, lawnmowers is he using now? No, I'm not saying that a big operation should switch to battery. I'm just saying that as technologies advance it will not only be possible, it will become necessary. How many industries have been changed by technology? I remember doing paste up in an advertising company. We used to have to go out to a typographer for the copy, then cut it out and glue it to a board. Well, today, there are no such jobs anymore. The computer you're sitting in front of eliminated them. There are three things you can count on, death, taxes, and that everything changes.
And like someone else said, they are no where near being efficient for a number of reasons. My next post will address this more tho....
Old 01-25-2010, 05:07 PM
SuperiorPower

Default Bob, this is a JOKE.

Quote:
I know what you mean. That bean and cheese burrito I just had is kicking back. But, with me it's just the opposite fast food to me is just that, FAST! I know that a lot of people feel the same way you do. Unless global warming causes you to get your shoes wet and have to role up your pants, It's not your problem. It's exactly that attitude that's caused the situation. Unless we ALL start to take some personal responsibility for our actions, there will be no solution. I'm sure if you had any kids you'd feel differently. But, if all you intend to leave behind is worm castings to feed the grass they plant over you, I totally understand.
Sure, yours is a niche business and if someone is willing to pay you to do it, fine. Just don't expect the rest of us to do so. I am tired of hearing all this global warming bologna and how the sky is falling in. It is just that, bologna. You know what bologna is? Its "scrap" or "cheap" meat that is left over after the legit stuff is made and is generally NOT HEALTHY! If you believe that all this global warming stuff is true, than I suppose that is your business. Just stay in California with the rest of those that are content with destroying the economy trying to fix a global warming problem that doesn't exist (ever wonder why California is the only bankrupt state??????). Now if you want to ride a bike because its healthier because of the exercise or since you don't use a vehicle enough to justify its expense, fine, just say so and leave the global warming thing out of it.

And as far as you being "green", I say you are no more green than any of the other users here.... Let me re-post what I have posted before here (you may want to read that entire thread since it has more info for you to digest). Here is my post I am talking about (it was not directed toward you but as they say, if the shoe fits, wear it):

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperiorPower View Post
First off, let me tell you, all of the emissions put out by all the engines in the world affect the ozone less than you think. If I recall correctly, emissions and all the "hazards" of emissions account for less than 1% (I think) of the lost/destroyed ozone. The only reason I like better fuel economy is because it is cheaper in my pocket. Period.

Besides, no one, yes I said no one, is emissions free. I will stand by that statement. "Emissions free" is a scam. And I will stand by that statement as well. Global warming is a scam. There are several hundred of the top scientists in the world that will agree with me on that.

Back to emissions free, let me just ask several questions to clarify my position.

How do they transport their equipment? Truck? Bicycle and trailer? If by bicycle and trailer, where were the bicycle and trailer made? Emissions free China????? Give me a break. China emits far more emissions than the USA does. In fact, the USA emits only a fraction of the emissions per capita of powered equipment/machinery/vehicles, etc. users in the world. Possibly, even probably, less as a whole than any other "civilized" nation in the world. But back to the emissions questions at hand....

How was the bicycle made? Using emissions free machines? Not hardly.

How were the tires made? Emissions free in South America or Mexico? I doubt it. They don't care about emissions. Slave/child labor sounds good to me.... But that is another issue for another day and another thread.

How was the iron mined that was used for the steel in the bicycle? By hand, using "emissions free" hand shovels? Ahhhhhh. Hmmmm, so where did the shovel come from? And the steel for the shovel?

How was the wood for the shovel handle made? Oh, that's right, by a tree cut down by hand using an ax....

Oh, where did the ax come from? And the ax handle? Oh, that's right, the ax and shovel both had a fiberglass handle. I am sure that was emissions free too.....

How do they commute when they are not riding their bicycles for mowing lawns? Where/how were their clothes made? All emissions free, huh? Not likely....

What about the house they live in? Who built it? Did they drive trucks? What about the people who cut the trees down for the lumber? That's right. Gotta love those emissions free electric "logging" chain saws... What? You mean electric "logging" chain saws don't even exist?!?! We know that electricity is emissions free so they need to invent some electric "logging" chain saws!! I mean with those wind turbines and everything. Heck those strong turbines are made out of steel and aluminum and the ore is mined using.... Ahhhh, what did you say is used to mine the ore?

How did the builders nail the lumber together for the house? Nails? Where did the nails come from? Oh, here we go with the steel issue again.... Emissions. I am choking on emissions.....

What about the tools to cut the boards? Hand saws. Right. And where did the steel for the hand saw blade come from? And how was the wood for the handle formed?

And we have not even addressed how the bicycle was brought here from China. And the reel push mower, which was likely made in China (was well). Oh, what am I thinking? A sail boat. No dirty engines to pollute the air.... After all, the shippers are the most emissions minded people in the world......

Anyway, I digress. But I still say, no one is emissions free. Unless you live in Africa or somewhere where there are no machines to make emissions. But where did their clothes come from? Are they emissions free? AHHHHH. Here we go again! No one is emissions free. PERIOD!!!!
What I have learned since then is this: These Eco-friendly machines, cars, etc, are MUCH "dirtier" to manufacture than the "dirty" machines are. Example: The Toyota Prius is a very fuel efficient car but it is EXTREMELY dirty (by the emissions freaks own standards) to manufacture. Why? example, the batteries needed to make the car "clean" are "dirty" to manufacture themselves. Here is the link to an article about it. As follows is actually an excerpt that I wanted to point out:

Quote:
Some people have said that the Prius loses most of its environmental cred when the hybrid’s manufacturing process is taken into account. Toyota acknowledges that Prius production is more carbon dioxide heavy than that of gas-engine cars.
What's more, Al Gore doesn't believe all his own hype. Just this past weekend I heard that Al Gore uses more electricity than like 30,000 (I think it was 30,000, but possibly more) Ugandans do. And he is telling them they have to reduce their electricity use. He is either mistaken and/or a liar and outright deceitful.

So, back to commercial grade electric powered lawn equipment. Like was mentioned by someone else, commercial grade lawn equipment WILL be much heavier. For example, a riding mower, whether the tractor type or ZTR type, this is bad whether you work in the rain or not. It is unhealthy for the lawn by sheer design. Its called compaction.

Lets think about this. Electric powered. Requires electricity to recharge batteries. Electricity is not always exactly "clean" when it is made. Electricity power equipment requires electric motors, which have to be manufactured. Though I am not certain of the exact process, it is not emissions free either.

Then, the "dirtiest" part of all. The batteries. And yes, it takes more than one. Batteries are heavy. This creates an extremely heavy machine if you want a machine where the batteries will not die as soon as you start using it. Sure, they last much longer than they did even a few years ago. They are more efficient. But still not as efficient as a internal combustion engine.

Some more bad news. Remember how you argued that they have far fewer moving parts? Perhaps they they do. BUT consider this. The replacement parts will be far more expensive when needed. Remember the $600 for replacement batteries you mentioned? That will buy a rather good quality Commercial push mower that will last you many many seasons. Sure, you have to buy gas but you also have to plug in your electric mowers. Maintenance tends to be less expensive for internal combustion engines than for battery powered.

They may have fewer parts but they are not designed as service friendly as a typical commercial mower. Lets start with the deck. Think of all the extra weight that you have to lug around on the deck just because you are mounting electric motors on the deck. So now, either your deck material has to be stronger or than take a chance on lasting less time. And God forbid that the use of the machine causes damage to the components (perhaps occasionally hitting items the neighbor's stupid dog drug into your yard). See, just because there is no internal combustion engine doesn't mean that there will be no "wear and tear" on the machine.

But now, instead of all that wear and tear going to a bearing assembly with a belt to take up the shock, all that impact or shock is going directly to the electric motor. So if something breaks, well, I hate to tell you, but, you will be buying an electric motor, not just a bearing assembly. At least if Husvarna's design is any indication of what is to come. Which, by the way, I don't believe it is a commercial unit anyway. The Husqvarna's deck design looks like it will be only for short grass that was mowed just a few days ago since it really has no place for a large amount of grass to be discharged to.

Another problem I suspect would be coming is that electronic components like switches, connections, smart boards, etc. will likely be extremely expensive and cost prohibitive to replace.

The design is not conducive to being used for commercial uses. I hope you get the point because I could go on and on about the problems with trying to use these types of products in a commercial way. So, the problem is 2 fold: Global warming is a farce and electric power equipment is a long way from being commercial ready.

But in ending, I really gotta ask, do you really believe that if we don't stop this global warming we will all just float away and there will be no more earth? Really???? Or perhaps I should let you explain exactly what you meant by this statement:

Quote:
I know that a lot of people feel the same way you do. Unless global warming causes you to get your shoes wet and have to role up your pants, It's not your problem. It's exactly that attitude that's caused the situation. Unless we ALL start to take some personal responsibility for our actions, there will be no solution. I'm sure if you had any kids you'd feel differently. But, if all you intend to leave behind is worm castings to feed the grass they plant over you, I totally understand.
And while you are at it, could you also explain what was meant by the scientists hiding global warming facts in those emails that were hacked, including these statements.

Quote:
So, if we could reduce the ocean blip by, say, 0.15 degC, then this would be significant for the global mean – but we’d still have to explain the land blip.
Quote:
It would be good to remove at least part of the 1940s blip, but we are still left with “why the blip”.
Quote:
The fact is that we can’t account for the lack of warming at the moment and it is a travesty that we can’t. The CERES data published in the August BAMS 09 supplement on 2008 shows there should be even more warming: but the data are surely wrong. Our observing system is inadequate.***
Old 01-26-2010, 06:50 AM

Bob91403 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default And your point was,...?

You seem to be on a rant. The internal combustion engine is one of the most inefficient devices made by man. Sure, you can make breathing look bad too. I mean you exhale CO2, that's a greenhouse gas, maybe we should all stop breathing? Anything can be argued. But, in debating this you bring light to the question of "a pitchfork, or a shovel?" If you got that, I salute you. If not, I understand.
Old 01-26-2010, 07:03 AM
Administrator

Remember we are all here to learn and grow. Let's keep all the posts positive and educational.

We don't have to agree but we should do our best to get along.
Old 01-27-2010, 02:09 AM
SuperiorPower

Steve,

Point taken. I was out of line to start name calling and I apologize for doing so on your forum. Again, Sorry.

Bob,

I apologize for calling this a joke. Though I strongly disagree with you and your perceived point of view on global warming, I should not have called you a "joke". Even though, as I am sure you can tell, I believe global warming is a scam and a joke. But that is no reason for me to call you a joke. Sorry, it won't happen again.

And as such, let me say I got what you meant (and I say, both pitchfork and a shovel, it depends what you are doing ... ) but I won't comment further on that.
Old 06-06-2013, 07:36 AM

Grass Whisperer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by espartolawncare View Post
Looking to purchase commercial grade battery lawn equipment. any help would be appreciated.

matt

www.meangreenproducts.com/
Experience the World's most Powerful zero turn electric riding lawn mower.
‎Powerful Electric Products - ‎About Us - ‎LEED - ‎Usgbc

This is the direction I am heading in.