Lawn Care Business Forum Lawn Care Business Book Lawn Care Business Blog Lawn Care Software
Home Forum Contract & Flyer Templates Blog Software Videos Podcast Calculators / Estimators Store Mower Review Design It Yourself Lawn Business School

Go Back   GopherHaul Landscaping & Lawn Care Business Marketing Forum > Just starting your lawn care or landscaping business? > Starting a lawn care business.

Starting a lawn care business. How to start a lawn mowing business, lawn care business, or landscaping business. If you are starting a lawn care business, ask your questions here.

Adding a business phone line


Starting a lawn care business.

How to start a lawn mowing business, lawn care business, or landscaping business. If you are starting a lawn care business, ask your questions here.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 07-11-2009, 09:09 AM
mark123's Avatar
mark123 mark123 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Pennsyltucky
Posts: 1,404
Rep Power: 9
mark123 is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb Adding a business phone line

I've been considering adding a second phone line since my son likes to answer the main phone and interview perspective customers on the issues that Spongebob faces on a daily basis.

The expense of adding a second line (setup fee, extra monthly cost and getting charged extra because it's a business) looked pretty steep. Normally, I'd probably use my cell phone but my carrier didn't have any local numbers (I'm switching carriers soon) which I didn't realize until I got my home phone bill.

Well, I'm sure we've all seen the ads on tv for MagicJack. I saw one at walmart and figured if I don't like it I can return it there with no issues so I picked one up.

So far I like it and I use it for the business and have put the number on my business cards. I also use it for long distance and plan to cancel the long distance service on my main line.

I've read all the complaints online and they had initially turned me off to the product. I have the slowest DSL I've ever seen and the calls are clear, both ends can hear the conversation clearly but I understand that dialup is a no-go. I do have a fast computer using Vista that I built myself two years ago but I read that some older computers can have issues. I did not have to put in a credit card number to start the service as the first year of service is included in the purchase price. You have to have the computer on to make outgoing calls but if the computer is off the voicemail or forwarding still work so that's not a real issue to me.

My favorite part is that you get any voicemail messages in your email. You can also forward the magicjack number to another number if you don't want to use the voice mail from the service.

All in all, I like it. It makes sense to spend the $40 for the MagicJack and one year of service which is just the connection fee for a business line. I'll report if I have any troubles with it.

Anyone else use MagicJack?
Reply With Quote

Stop guess-timating. Learn how to estimate and make money! $$$
Mow Time Estimator Lawn Care Price Estimator Mulch and Topsoil Calculator Snow Plow Estimate Calculator


  #2  
Old 07-11-2009, 09:26 AM
swstout's Avatar
swstout swstout is offline
Steve
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Canastota, NY
Age: 67
Posts: 1,082
Rep Power: 9
swstout is on a distinguished road
Default

Lawn care business tipsLawn Care Business Book
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark123 View Post
I've been considering adding a second phone line since my son likes to answer the main phone and interview perspective customers on the issues that Spongebob faces on a daily basis.

The expense of adding a second line (setup fee, extra monthly cost and getting charged extra because it's a business) looked pretty steep. Normally, I'd probably use my cell phone but my carrier didn't have any local numbers (I'm switching carriers soon) which I didn't realize until I got my home phone bill.

Well, I'm sure we've all seen the ads on tv for MagicJack. I saw one at walmart and figured if I don't like it I can return it there with no issues so I picked one up.

So far I like it and I use it for the business and have put the number on my business cards. I also use it for long distance and plan to cancel the long distance service on my main line.

I've read all the complaints online and they had initially turned me off to the product. I have the slowest DSL I've ever seen and the calls are clear, both ends can hear the conversation clearly but I understand that dialup is a no-go. I do have a fast computer using Vista that I built myself two years ago but I read that some older computers can have issues. I did not have to put in a credit card number to start the service as the first year of service is included in the purchase price. You have to have the computer on to make outgoing calls but if the computer is off the voicemail or forwarding still work so that's not a real issue to me.

My favorite part is that you get any voicemail messages in your email. You can also forward the magicjack number to another number if you don't want to use the voice mail from the service.

All in all, I like it. It makes sense to spend the $40 for the MagicJack and one year of service which is just the connection fee for a business line. I'll report if I have any troubles with it.

Anyone else use MagicJack?
My In-Laws tried Magic Jack and had nothing but trouble with it so I didn't use it for my service. I insteas went with Vonage. Have 2 lines (with local numbers). Costs a little more but the service is great.

For 24/7 service, I keep my computer on and have an uninteruptable power source fo it incase of power loss. It will keep it active for about 2 hours during power failures. WalMart carries them.

Steve
__________________


Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-11-2009, 09:30 AM
ritchiem
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

we put a second residential line in our office...the business line was way too expensive and didn't have enough perks. Both phone lines with long distance packages costs about $80.00 for us. Never tried magic jack and I wouldn't let it control my business calls from what I have read.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-11-2009, 01:28 PM
mark123's Avatar
mark123 mark123 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Pennsyltucky
Posts: 1,404
Rep Power: 9
mark123 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritchiem View Post
... Never tried magic jack and I wouldn't let it control my business calls from what I have read.
Yeah, I read the disgruntled customers as well. Are any of the articles recent? Many of the accusations seem unfounded at best and purposely inflamatory at worst.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-11-2009, 02:29 PM
XtreemGreen XtreemGreen is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Pasco, Fla
Age: 45
Posts: 429
Rep Power: 9
XtreemGreen is on a distinguished road
Default

Ive been running magic jack for almost a year without a hitch... As long as you have a good stable high speed connection, you shouldnt have problems..
__________________


In Memory of My Dad..1943-2008..Gary "Snuffy" Smith
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-12-2009, 01:21 AM
jasonw's Avatar
jasonw jasonw is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,010
Rep Power: 9
jasonw is on a distinguished road
Default

Att cell phone. Add a line for $9.95 per month. Sence we already have cell phones we can just do this. This is exactly what Iplan to do when the need for a business line rises which is coming very soon. I find it IMPOSSIBLE to take a day off when all your adds have your cell phone as your contact number. You can be on a beach in Cancun and still have to work.
__________________
White Company
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-13-2009, 12:09 AM
Little's's Avatar
Little's Little's is offline
Brandon
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Shasta Lake CA.
Posts: 814
Rep Power: 10
Little's is on a distinguished road
Default

I looked into MagicJack, but the closest area code I could get to my local area code was like 2 hours away, which meant that anyone wanting to call me would actually be calling long distance. So that doesnt work.
__________________
Northern California
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-13-2009, 05:23 AM
mark123's Avatar
mark123 mark123 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Pennsyltucky
Posts: 1,404
Rep Power: 9
mark123 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little's View Post
I looked into MagicJack, but the closest area code I could get to my local area code was like 2 hours away, which meant that anyone wanting to call me would actually be calling long distance. So that doesnt work.
Yes, that is a big issue. I did check their site for my local area code. You can't look for the exchanges though. There are some exchanges in my area code that are long distance so I guess I rolled the dice a little bit.

Anyone considering magicjack should check the area code availability first.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-13-2009, 05:02 PM
XtreemGreen XtreemGreen is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Pasco, Fla
Age: 45
Posts: 429
Rep Power: 9
XtreemGreen is on a distinguished road
Default

Being in the Tampa Bay area... I guess I lucked out...I use my magic jack for the county I use to live in.. My home is 727 and the area I use to live in is 813..Works out well if you works in 2 diff area codes..
__________________


In Memory of My Dad..1943-2008..Gary "Snuffy" Smith
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07-13-2009, 06:49 PM
picframer's Avatar
picframer picframer is offline
Andy
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia
Posts: 2,885
Rep Power: 11
picframer will become famous soon enough
Default

I have a business blackberry plan and we run everything off their BES software on a server here at the house, this way I get all my calls, emails, send images to clients at work if we need approval for something, mainly excavation, every team lead carries one, unlimited sms, email, I think the data is around 500 meg a month, we have 6 units and it runs around $300.00 a month all in.

Works well and we get a lot of business by the quick replies to email inquiries and customers rave at images they receive around noon on how a crew is doing, just an added touch that works well for us and the staff love the positive feedback they receive.
__________________
Andy
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Adding another service XtreemGreen General Talk 1 06-11-2009 04:28 PM
a tag line for a lawn care business landonkade Lawn Care Marketing & Post your marketing material for review! 28 03-26-2008 06:14 PM
lawn care business adding pressure washing landonkade Show Off - Picture Post - Photo Gallery 11 09-19-2007 12:04 PM
Adding prices??? Gopher Software Support Archived Question & Answers - Read Only 3 01-21-2005 11:14 AM
Custom Business Phone Number Gopher Tech General Business Discussions 0 07-28-2003 08:43 PM

» Recent Threads
  RatingTitle, Username, & Date Last Post Replies Views
Enter to win Free...
arthur712
Today 11:28 AM
Today 11:28 AM
by arthur712
0 15
What were your top...
WarriorLandscapingCAN
09-13-2016 05:10 PM
Yesterday 12:12 PM
by jrs.landscaping
3 340
I have a new show!
Chilehead
09-19-2016 06:50 PM
09-23-2016 05:45 AM
by Chilehead
7 118
First commercial estimate
WarriorLandscapingCAN
09-19-2016 12:42 PM
09-22-2016 05:42 PM
by acrajchel
7 119
Larger projects - Labor...
WarriorLandscapingCAN
09-18-2016 07:38 AM
09-21-2016 06:51 AM
by Chilehead
5 143
I need some business...
Firehouselawn@hotmail.com
07-06-2016 05:42 AM
09-16-2016 01:50 PM
by DLC123
5 592
Is it too late?
Cpadgett
05-28-2016 09:10 AM
09-16-2016 01:35 PM
by DLC123
15 1,307
Not a newbie just...
lwlawn
09-09-2016 02:32 PM
09-16-2016 01:25 PM
by DLC123
2 499
I'm making stupid money...
WarriorLandscapingCAN
08-07-2016 07:07 PM
09-16-2016 01:15 PM
by DLC123
6 1,376
Lawn problem
magiccc
09-14-2016 11:37 AM
09-15-2016 06:14 AM
by Chilehead
2 273
What kind of seed do you...
Bradcook21
09-02-2016 02:58 PM
09-12-2016 07:18 AM
by joshp
4 897
Commercial Flail Mower...
Chickenthief
09-05-2016 04:46 PM
09-09-2016 04:50 PM
by Steve
7 761
Newbie here
paulgrant
09-07-2016 04:52 PM
09-09-2016 12:01 AM
by paulgrant
2 606
Hello, New Member Here,...
Chickenthief
09-05-2016 06:19 PM
09-08-2016 09:35 PM
by Chickenthief
6 721
Pricing fall cleanups?
WarriorLandscapingCAN
09-06-2016 11:17 AM
09-07-2016 04:06 PM
by Steve
3 695
Say Hello !!!
Steve
03-19-2007 11:18 AM
09-06-2016 05:25 PM
by Steve
1,255 443,688
My Invention
biglee
01-11-2015 06:51 PM
08-31-2016 02:47 PM
by Steve
21 3,250
fliers
joshp
08-19-2016 03:23 PM
08-30-2016 07:47 PM
by SC93
11 1,927
fert/lawn programs
joshp
08-28-2016 10:43 AM
08-30-2016 03:27 PM
by acrajchel
2 1,107
Landscaper taking on odd...
WarriorLandscapingCAN
08-07-2016 06:57 PM
08-28-2016 10:31 AM
by joshp
7 1,315
Review of our lawn care...
Lawnline
07-12-2016 06:40 PM
08-27-2016 10:51 AM
by Steve
7 2,154
» Popular Tags
annual apartment become an entrepreneur best mower be your own boss bidding business business education business help business management complex contractor hacks contracts convention converting customer dethatcher edging entrepreneur entrepreneur education estimate estimates fuel problems fuel pump half moon blade intro introduction jjandm lawncare l.t.rich landscape landscape design landscaping landscaping design company landscaping richmond va landscping lawn lawncare lawnservice lowering grade marketing mulch planting raising grade residential lawn care richmond va richmond virginia lawn care seasonal snowblower snow plowing snow shovel sprayer start a business start a lawn care business start business start up toro timecutter townhome tree tree service video web design websites what to charge work from home z-max z-spray
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.1.0

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:58 PM.


(C) 2011 Riggs Publications - Terms of use & Privacy Policy

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:58 PM.

(C) 2011 Riggs Publications - Terms of use & Privacy Policy