Lawn Care Business Forum Lawn Care Business Book Lawn Care Business Blog Lawn Care Software
Home Forum Contract & Flyer Templates Blog Software Videos Podcast Calculators / Estimators Store Mower Review Design It Yourself Lawn Business School

Go Back   GopherHaul Landscaping & Lawn Care Business Marketing Forum > Business > General Business Discussions

General Business Discussions A place to talk about general business discussions.

Price on fuel depot?


General Business Discussions

A place to talk about general business discussions.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 07-01-2009, 05:27 AM
firstchoice1 firstchoice1 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 12
Rep Power: 7
firstchoice1 is on a distinguished road
Default Price on fuel depot?

A larger/smarter landscape company will have a large fuel tank where everyone can fill up in the morning to save time.

Was wondering if anyone had any idea of how much those things generally cost? I was thinking like 1k+ gallon tanks. Also does it entail to have someone drop by to refuel it cost wise?

Thanks,
Travis
Reply With Quote

Stop guess-timating. Learn how to estimate and make money! $$$
Mow Time Estimator Lawn Care Price Estimator Mulch and Topsoil Calculator Snow Plow Estimate Calculator


  #2  
Old 07-01-2009, 06:10 AM
picframer's Avatar
picframer picframer is offline
Andy
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia
Posts: 2,885
Rep Power: 11
picframer will become famous soon enough
Default

Lawn care business tipsLawn Care Business Book
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstchoice1 View Post
A larger/smarter landscape company will have a large fuel tank where everyone can fill up in the morning to save time.

Was wondering if anyone had any idea of how much those things generally cost? I was thinking like 1k+ gallon tanks. Also does it entail to have someone drop by to refuel it cost wise?

Thanks,
Travis
I have wanted to do this for years however where I live you need an environmental permit and in short you will not get one. What companies like mine do however is have a gas box in the bed of their truck that will hold 100 to 250 gallons, I opted to not do this as it takes too much room.

As for cost, they run in the $500.00 range when I saw them years ago, when it was allowed.
__________________
Andy
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-01-2009, 06:13 AM
Steve's Avatar
Steve Steve is online now
Administrator
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 37,925
Rep Power: 10
Steve has disabled reputation
Default

Would it be possible to get a delivery of gas if you created say a trailer with a few of these tanks? Or would you need to provide permits to get delivery?
__________________
- Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-01-2009, 08:44 AM
firstchoice1 firstchoice1 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 12
Rep Power: 7
firstchoice1 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by picframer View Post
I have wanted to do this for years however where I live you need an environmental permit and in short you will not get one. What companies like mine do however is have a gas box in the bed of their truck that will hold 100 to 250 gallons, I opted to not do this as it takes too much room.

As for cost, they run in the $500.00 range when I saw them years ago, when it was allowed.

Well adding a 100-250 gallon container in the bed of the truck would also cost a lot of gas to haul it around everywhere, not to mention like you said, take up much of their bed.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-01-2009, 08:47 AM
firstchoice1 firstchoice1 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 12
Rep Power: 7
firstchoice1 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Would it be possible to get a delivery of gas if you created say a trailer with a few of these tanks? Or would you need to provide permits to get delivery?
That might be a good idea steve, I imagine if you got a decent deal on a good size trailer, after cost of trailer and tanks of say 3k. I would imagine though that it would take some time to pay for itself. If lets say it cost 100 dollars each time you had the gas delivered.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-01-2009, 08:51 AM
firstchoice1 firstchoice1 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 12
Rep Power: 7
firstchoice1 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstchoice1 View Post
That might be a good idea steve, I imagine if you got a decent deal on a good size trailer, after cost of trailer and tanks of say 3k. I would imagine though that it would take some time to pay for itself. If lets say it cost 100 dollars each time you had the gas delivered.
I would imagine though you'd have to get fueled up at a major fuel depot, I'm guessing that a gas station won't allow you to buy a thousand or more gallons of gas at a time. Also a depot may offer a better deal, maybe you could save the 5 or so cents a gallon a gas station operator would make since you are buying so much from the depot.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-01-2009, 02:08 PM
picframer's Avatar
picframer picframer is offline
Andy
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia
Posts: 2,885
Rep Power: 11
picframer will become famous soon enough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Would it be possible to get a delivery of gas if you created say a trailer with a few of these tanks? Or would you need to provide permits to get delivery?
Unless you have a farmers license they wil not deliver and only then if you have a permit which requires an enviromential impact certificate, this is a major thorn in my side as I pay$1.76 a gallon in taxes yet not one piece of equipment is driven on the road.....I have been tempted to burn furnace oil in the diesels as it's the same product just marked, it would save a few hundred a month....but probably against some law...
__________________
Andy
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-02-2009, 02:09 AM
SuperiorPower
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

I would highly recommend not using a tank (especially a stationary above-ground tank) unless you use it all within a few days of filling it. This is especially true if you only have access to ethanol fuel. I am still working on the ethanol article......
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-02-2009, 04:43 AM
firstchoice1 firstchoice1 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 12
Rep Power: 7
firstchoice1 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperiorPower View Post
I would highly recommend not using a tank (especially a stationary above-ground tank) unless you use it all within a few days of filling it. This is especially true if you only have access to ethanol fuel. I am still working on the ethanol article......

Why must you use it all in a few days?
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07-02-2009, 04:57 AM
Steve's Avatar
Steve Steve is online now
Administrator
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 37,925
Rep Power: 10
Steve has disabled reputation
Default

Quote:
Unless you have a farmers license they wil not deliver and only then if you have a permit which requires an enviromential impact certificate, this is a major thorn in my side
I can see that being a problem. I am guessing a gas delivery service would not want the potential liability of filling a tank to only have it leak and then THEY could be held liable for filling it.
__________________
- Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Office Depot profit slumps 85% Steve General Business Discussions 4 02-27-2008 01:59 PM
Home Depot is looking this way, should you? Steve General Business Discussions 0 10-26-2006 03:00 PM
Home Depot selling ZTRs Steve Lawn Maintenance / Lawn Renovation 4 07-11-2006 03:50 PM
Higher Fuel Price tiedeman General Business Discussions 7 04-19-2006 12:40 AM
Office depot sells them Steve General Business Discussions 2 04-13-2006 02:24 PM

» Recent Threads
  RatingTitle, Username, & Date Last Post Replies Views
Having an issue with...
Mr. Mow
Yesterday 03:58 PM
Today 05:04 AM
by Sprinkler Buddy
2 49
Hello From Virginia
JJand M Lawncare
04-25-2016 01:02 PM
Yesterday 05:20 PM
by Steve
5 91
Hello from Calgary
Freshcut
04-22-2016 06:10 PM
04-25-2016 05:46 PM
by Freshcut
2 89
knowledge is Key
Greg'slawnandlandscape
04-23-2016 02:23 AM
04-25-2016 02:40 PM
by Steve
2 91
Echo Bed Redefiner...
NPM_LLC
04-12-2016 10:54 AM
04-22-2016 06:15 PM
by Freshcut
4 287
Has anyone done a garden?
Brian3137
03-28-2016 10:42 AM
04-22-2016 04:42 PM
by biglee
13 9,702
What would you charge?
markty
04-18-2016 03:28 PM
04-22-2016 09:01 AM
by chris2500hd
6 226
Replaced Mower Engine
Sprinkler Buddy
04-15-2016 06:21 AM
04-19-2016 11:03 AM
by Sprinkler Buddy
6 229
Hello from Oklahoma
Ron Hall
03-24-2016 06:59 PM
04-16-2016 03:51 AM
by Ron Hall
9 9,430
Laying down some stripes
MATTNAPIER89
04-11-2016 09:55 PM
04-14-2016 11:55 PM
by Steve
3 303
Find out what business...
MATTNAPIER89
04-11-2016 09:58 PM
04-13-2016 12:32 PM
by MATTNAPIER89
2 260
Hello my name is Matt
MATTNAPIER89
04-11-2016 09:46 PM
04-13-2016 12:58 AM
by Steve
1 210
How to drop some...
nickeckes
04-11-2016 01:07 AM
04-12-2016 05:22 PM
by Steve
4 293
Trash Receptacle for a...
tannerduncan
04-12-2016 05:02 PM
04-12-2016 05:19 PM
by Steve
1 192
Small Project Lawn
tannerduncan
03-31-2016 08:21 PM
04-12-2016 05:16 PM
by Steve
7 9,317
Please Help! Bidding...
Dorali
02-15-2016 12:02 PM
04-06-2016 01:08 AM
by Steve
36 12,933
Hello
pbcleff
04-05-2016 07:45 PM
04-06-2016 12:35 AM
by Steve
1 383
Hello
llewelwa
03-18-2016 12:47 AM
04-05-2016 12:14 AM
by Steve
3 9,301
Poop and Scooping
llewelwa
04-01-2016 05:48 PM
04-05-2016 12:08 AM
by Steve
1 9,091
help with sole...
greenbuds
03-24-2016 12:21 PM
04-04-2016 05:33 PM
by WarriorLandscapingCAN
2 9,261
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.1.0

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:44 PM.


(C) 2011 Riggs Publications - Terms of use & Privacy Policy

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:44 PM.

(C) 2011 Riggs Publications - Terms of use & Privacy Policy