Originally Posted by Steve
What do you feel are the top say 5 things a lawn care business owner can do that are free that can help them with their Search Engine Optimization?
Good question. It really applies to any business.
Top 5 Things, hands down:
1. Optimize TITLE Tag. Should include phrases such as "Target City + Landscape Company", and/or "Target City + Landscaping Company"
EG: TITLE Tag: Chicago Landscape Company - Chicago Landscaping Company
- no more than 75 characters in length **
2. META description tag should look like this:
*** No more than 150 characters. Include your most important key phrases within.
3. Repeat your important keywords within the "content" (text) of your page.
4. Optimize each page on your website seperately. Do not repeat the same title and meta tags throughout every page of the website. A page about pavers should be optimized for "Chicago Pavers" not "Chicago Landscape Company". Each page is like it's own website.
5. Do not build your site in all flash. Make sure your text is text, and not just fake text imbedded within images. No frames either. Any of those three things will prevent your website from being read by the search engines.
6. Stop stressing the meta keywords tag search engines including google do not read them anymore because they have been abused too much in the past.
7 Add quality links from places like dir.yahoo.com, botw.org, yahoo local, yellowpages.com. The more links you get back to your site the better. When possible include keywords in "anchor text" in other words,
<Top SEO Directories
is my list of directories you can use for SEO purposes, of which I have optimized for the term "Top SEO Directories" and I am on the 1st page of Google... because I have links like this that have the keyword in the text that points to the website.
But more importantly, directories like yahoo (who don't allow anchor text actually technically) are more important because of how old and important the directory is considered. It's like an electoral vote for your website.
OR alternatively since you asked for FREE things you can do, instead of those directories most of which are paid directories, you can get links from websites like ezinearticles.com. Write articles and you get 1-2 links in each article back to your website. Also, goarticles.com, amazines.com are good too. Usfreeads is another good one. Free-press-release.com for press releases you can create press releases and get a link back to your website for $1 each. Also create profiles in social media platforms like facebook, twitter, digg.com, and create a link back to your website there. The more links.... the better!
BEST BOOK Hands down for SEO is "SEO For Dummies" as corny as it sounds it's a GREAT book.
If you have any questions let me know!