Lawn Care Business Forum Lawn Care Business Book Lawn Care Business Blog Lawn Care Software
Home Forum Contract & Flyer Templates Blog Software Videos Podcast Calculators / Estimators Store Mower Review Design It Yourself Lawn Business School

Go Back   GopherHaul Landscaping & Lawn Care Business Marketing Forum > Lawn Care, Landscaping, and Property Management Forums > Outdoor Power Equipment Discussion, Repairs, Buy or Sell

Outdoor Power Equipment Discussion, Repairs, Buy or Sell Outdoor power equipment discussions. Questions on commercial lawn mowers, lawn mower, mower parts, lawn tractors, engines, edgers, trimmers, pole saws, aerators, hydro seeders, snow plows, chain saws, stump grinders, trucks and trailers?

Tire Problems


Outdoor Power Equipment Discussion, Repairs, Buy or Sell

Outdoor power equipment discussions. Questions on commercial lawn mowers, lawn mower, mower parts, lawn tractors, engines, edgers, trimmers, pole saws, aerators, hydro seeders, snow plows, chain saws, stump grinders, trucks and trailers?
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 06-11-2009, 10:25 PM
swstout's Avatar
swstout swstout is offline
Steve
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Canastota, NY
Age: 65
Posts: 1,082
Rep Power: 7
swstout is on a distinguished road
Default Tire Problems

After 12 days of heavy rain storms I got back to work today. First job was a Insect Guard Spray job. Had a flat tire on my sprayer after about 30 minutes. Went and got a new tub and had it fixed. Shortly after I started again the other tire went flat.

These are 2 of the 4 flats I have had this season. My question, I was looking at solid rubber tires for replacements. A local shop, "The Lawnmower shop" carries them in just about every size. While there I bought a refurbished 25 gallon Fimco LG 2500 sprayer. It had the solid rubber tires on it.

Has anyone else switched and is there any advantage having the pneumatic tires over the solid rubber tires.

Steve
__________________


Reply With Quote

Stop guess-timating. Learn how to estimate and make money! $$$
Mow Time Estimator Lawn Care Price Estimator Mulch and Topsoil Calculator Snow Plow Estimate Calculator


  #2  
Old 06-11-2009, 11:19 PM
turfmaster's Avatar
turfmaster turfmaster is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Midwest
Posts: 366
Rep Power: 5
turfmaster is on a distinguished road
Default

Lawn care business tipsLawn Care Business Book
Quote:
Originally Posted by swstout View Post
After 12 days of heavy rain storms I got back to work today. First job was a Insect Guard Spray job. Had a flat tire on my sprayer after about 30 minutes. Went and got a new tub and had it fixed. Shortly after I started again the other tire went flat.

These are 2 of the 4 flats I have had this season. My question, I was looking at solid rubber tires for replacements. A local shop, "The Lawnmower shop" carries them in just about every size. While there I bought a refurbished 25 gallon Fimco LG 2500 sprayer. It had the solid rubber tires on it.

Has anyone else switched and is there any advantage having the pneumatic tires over the solid rubber tires.

Steve
I have not switched yet however I am thinking of going to solid rubber tires on the front casters of my ZTR. Tired of them damn flats.

I don't see any advantage over having air tires over solid rubber other than weight.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-12-2009, 04:29 AM
SuperiorPower
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

About the only thing I can think of is possibly slightly more shock absorption. But I don't expect that to be an issue. I don't think you would ever notice the difference. But now that you have a sprayer with each type of tire, see if you can tell the difference.

The benefits of the flat free tire are obvious and I doubt I have to spell it out for anyone.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-12-2009, 05:06 AM
picframer's Avatar
picframer picframer is offline
Andy
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia
Posts: 2,885
Rep Power: 9
picframer will become famous soon enough
Default

Haven't had a flat on any of the equipment....yet.

Steve these come, at least I think, tubeless, I carry tubes for every size we operate in the event of a flat, if given the choice and I had a flat on a tow behind I would go solid. If it is something I am riding or driving I put a tube in and a can of that no more flat stuff. I have had one flat on a tractor, was pulling the bigger sprayer and the employee went on some shale, it spun a bit and poked a hole.

Congradulations on the sprayer. I will give you guys a tip, these Femco sprayers have two very fine filters, the Organic Fertilizer sometimes has very small particles which will plug the sprayer after about 60 +/- gallons, strain everything you put in with those paper paint funnel filters, they are around $7.00 for 250, you will never have an issue again. Something I started doing two weeks ago when a sprayer plugged.

Andy
__________________
Andy
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-12-2009, 05:21 AM
swstout's Avatar
swstout swstout is offline
Steve
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Canastota, NY
Age: 65
Posts: 1,082
Rep Power: 7
swstout is on a distinguished road
Default Tow behinds

Quote:
Originally Posted by picframer View Post
Haven't had a flat on any of the equipment....yet.

Steve these come, at least I think, tubeless, I carry tubes for every size we operate in the event of a flat, if given the choice and I had a flat on a tow behind I would go solid. If it is something I am riding or driving I put a tube in and a can of that no more flat stuff. I have had one flat on a tractor, was pulling the bigger sprayer and the employee went on some shale, it spun a bit and poked a hole.

Congradulations on the sprayer. I will give you guys a tip, these Femco sprayers have two very fine filters, the Organic Fertilizer sometimes has very small particles which will plug the sprayer after about 60 +/- gallons, strain everything you put in with those paper paint funnel filters, they are around $7.00 for 250, you will never have an issue again. Something I started doing two weeks ago when a sprayer plugged.

Andy
It is the tow behind equipment tires I am tlking about. These have been tubeless tires that I could not break the seals on to insert the tubes in a reasonable time frame. Cost wise, it has been cheaper to take them for repair (about $7.00 per tire). The solid rubber tires, new, are about $15.00 each.

Steve
__________________


Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-12-2009, 05:26 AM
picframer's Avatar
picframer picframer is offline
Andy
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia
Posts: 2,885
Rep Power: 9
picframer will become famous soon enough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by swstout View Post
It is the tow behind equipment tires I am tlking about. These have been tubeless tires that I could not break the seals on to insert the tubes in a reasonable time frame. Cost wise, it has been cheaper to take them for repair (about $7.00 per tire). The solid rubber tires, new, are about $15.00 each.

Steve
Then I would go solid bud, doesn't matter how rough the ride is for them it will not have any impact on you on the tractor. I had thought at one time of putting a tire brake down device in the trailer but there is a chain in the city that does these small tires for ten bucks, they have shops everywhere so I never bothered.

I have found most places, if you inform them you are a contractor, they will take you right away as they want your business and I get a cut at pretty much every store.
__________________
Andy
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-12-2009, 09:31 PM
swstout's Avatar
swstout swstout is offline
Steve
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Canastota, NY
Age: 65
Posts: 1,082
Rep Power: 7
swstout is on a distinguished road
Default Going solid

Quote:
Originally Posted by picframer View Post
Then I would go solid bud, doesn't matter how rough the ride is for them it will not have any impact on you on the tractor. I had thought at one time of putting a tire brake down device in the trailer but there is a chain in the city that does these small tires for ten bucks, they have shops everywhere so I never bothered.

I have found most places, if you inform them you are a contractor, they will take you right away as they want your business and I get a cut at pretty much every store.
Bought 6 solid tires for my old sprayer, my dump tariler, and my seeder. 4 worked thetires for the dump trailer have a different size axel (maybe 1/16th inch larger). I'll change them tomorrow.

There seems to be a lot of people getting out of the lawn care business judgeing by the amount or used equipment at the Lawnmower Shop. Had nothing there 2 weeks ago. John, the owner goes over them cleans and adjusts them and then resells them. I got paid for 4 jobs today and may go "shopping" tomorrow.

Steve
__________________


Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-12-2009, 10:54 PM
Steve's Avatar
Steve Steve is online now
Administrator
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 35,729
Rep Power: 10
Steve has disabled reputation
Default

Quote:
I got paid for 4 jobs today and may go "shopping" tomorrow.
What are you looking to get?
__________________
- Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06-12-2009, 11:50 PM
andyjoneslawncare's Avatar
andyjoneslawncare andyjoneslawncare is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Sarasota, FL
Age: 41
Posts: 75
Rep Power: 6
andyjoneslawncare is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by swstout View Post
Bought 6 solid tires for my old sprayer, my dump tariler, and my seeder. 4 worked thetires for the dump trailer have a different size axel (maybe 1/16th inch larger). I'll change them tomorrow.

There seems to be a lot of people getting out of the lawn care business judgeing by the amount or used equipment at the Lawnmower Shop. Had nothing there 2 weeks ago. John, the owner goes over them cleans and adjusts them and then resells them. I got paid for 4 jobs today and may go "shopping" tomorrow.

Steve
Thanks for the tip. I should go check out the used stuff and see if I can find a deal on anything. Maybe its from people upgrading at the start of season? There are two ways to look at it. There could be more people in the industry because of layoffs, downsizing, etc, or there could be less because not as many people can afford lawn service now. Its the combination thats really hurting the industry, but you're smart enough to stay ahead of the game with your other services. At $15/tire I can't think of a reason not to get them. Do they make solids for back tires also? I'm assuming they'd be more pricey? Has anyone tried that green Slime stuff? I heard it fills the tire so it cant go flat but I think its around $10- $12 a bottle anyway. So far I've been able to get away with fix-a-flat and topping them off with a regular bike pump and haven't had to put air in for about a month now, but for a while it was almost daily. So many thorns and fence panels with nails in the grass, etc.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 06-13-2009, 07:30 AM
SuperiorPower
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyjoneslawncare View Post
Has anyone tried that green Slime stuff? I heard it fills the tire so it cant go flat but I think its around $10- $12 a bottle anyway. So far I've been able to get away with fix-a-flat and topping them off with a regular bike pump and haven't had to put air in for about a month now, but for a while it was almost daily. So many thorns and fence panels with nails in the grass, etc.
Slime is an excellent product. Works very well. I sell the 16 oz bottles for about $8.99 and like you said, the 24 oz bottles, which is the recommended size for lawnmowers, sell for about $12. They have a tubeless product and a tube tire product along with tubes prefilled with slime and several other products. Check out their website.

I would recommend going with Slime if you are having problems with thorns and nails. One bottle will do the average lawn mower tire. It will immediately stop leaks in tires if you hit thorns and nails. Just the centrifugal force will push the Slime to the bead area of the tire and at the moment the nail or thorn pokes through the sire, the Slime is right there to seal up the tire, immediately. Slime "Repairs punctures up to ¼" (6mm) using Fibro-Seal™ technology".

Good luck,
Eli
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
trial problems Gopher Software Support Archived Question & Answers - Read Only 5 03-15-2007 02:53 PM
More problems!  Need HELP!! Ric3077 Gopher Software Support Archived Question & Answers - Read Only 3 05-18-2006 06:58 PM
#12 template problems wahlturfcare Search Engine Optimization and Website Design Discussions. 7 02-15-2006 04:29 PM
problems Gopher Software Support Archived Question & Answers - Read Only 2 11-07-2005 08:23 AM
dog problems xtreme lawn General Business Discussions 6 06-15-2003 09:55 PM

» Recent Threads
  RatingTitle, Username, & Date Last Post Replies Views
leaf removal
tlf59263
Today 10:00 PM
Today 10:00 PM
by tlf59263
0 14
Trimec
acrajchel
Today 08:24 PM
Today 09:18 PM
by ExtremeLawncareServices
1 23
What Fertilizer to Use?
acrajchel
04-07-2014 01:56 PM
Today 08:27 PM
by acrajchel
4 175
Nationwide lawn care...
Billy Goat
Today 05:21 PM
Today 08:25 PM
by Dan Tanner
1 51
Looking for advice on a...
Tekeda1
04-13-2014 09:53 AM
Today 06:58 PM
by Tekeda1
10 181
There has to be an...
CDLAWNCARE
Yesterday 12:59 PM
Today 04:06 PM
by Dan Tanner
6 117
Gopher Forum Discount!
BlackRain75
04-12-2014 10:44 PM
Today 02:31 PM
by kslawn
8 192
hello
NFrailey
Today 01:39 PM
Today 01:39 PM
by NFrailey
0 30
These are the days on...
ExtremeLawncareServices
03-22-2014 09:12 AM
Today 12:40 PM
by ExtremeLawncareServices
24 823
Any greenhouse operators...
GoGreenerKS
Today 11:21 AM
Today 11:55 AM
by GoGreenerKS
2 63
Help with weed liability!
Prolawnofchatt
Today 09:10 AM
Today 11:32 AM
by Steve
2 79
First Day Back!
BelleCityLawn1
04-09-2014 09:13 PM
Today 11:16 AM
by Steve
11 263
Mow America
stevegredler
04-13-2014 01:02 PM
Yesterday 09:53 PM
by kslawn
5 151
Power Broom
acrajchel
Yesterday 07:46 AM
Yesterday 12:47 PM
by CDLAWNCARE
2 73
google earth
CDLAWNCARE
04-12-2014 03:24 PM
Yesterday 11:37 AM
by Steve
7 163
Say Hello !!!
Steve
03-19-2007 11:18 AM
Yesterday 11:34 AM
by Steve
1,176 283,867
Pricing a Mulch Job
dmcalpi
04-07-2014 02:16 PM
Yesterday 11:32 AM
by Steve
20 485
Equipment reviews
Greg'slawnandlandscape
04-09-2014 07:17 AM
Yesterday 11:27 AM
by Greg'slawnandlandscape
13 342
Sulky and Turf Tracer
acrajchel
04-07-2014 01:44 PM
Yesterday 10:51 AM
by Steve
8 250
Aerating Prices?
Dan Tanner
04-08-2014 03:16 PM
Yesterday 10:31 AM
by Steve
13 356
Estimating help
acrajchel
04-11-2014 06:06 PM
Yesterday 10:20 AM
by Steve
3 125
Lawn Renovation
stevef1201
04-11-2014 12:00 PM
Yesterday 10:03 AM
by Steve
5 143
Need help bidding church...
GreenRidge Lawn&Landscape
04-07-2014 08:01 PM
Yesterday 09:49 AM
by Steve
12 342
Hello all
Griff20114
04-12-2014 05:08 PM
Yesterday 09:46 AM
by Steve
1 78
Step by Step Spring Lawn...
WarriorLawnscaping
04-10-2014 07:01 AM
Yesterday 09:43 AM
by Steve
5 194
Jeff Cowden
jcowden
04-11-2014 07:27 PM
Yesterday 09:39 AM
by Steve
1 83
Exmark Commercial 30...
Dan Tanner
04-11-2014 05:35 AM
Yesterday 09:37 AM
by Steve
4 147
What Was Your Setup When...
superrman77
02-11-2014 10:53 AM
Yesterday 08:04 AM
by acrajchel
21 1,510
Accepting credit cards,...
Darksteel
03-17-2014 08:01 PM
04-13-2014 10:31 PM
by AkersLawn
12 612
Small guy time to get a...
googus
04-08-2014 08:16 AM
04-13-2014 07:18 PM
by A. Kulak Landscaping
9 273
Weekly vs. Bi-weekly
CDLAWNCARE
04-12-2014 01:48 PM
04-13-2014 06:03 PM
by kslawn
9 266
Weed ID help
TwinBrosLC
04-12-2014 10:39 AM
04-13-2014 07:40 AM
by stevef1201
4 118
Lexington, KY
acrajchel
04-07-2014 01:06 PM
04-11-2014 09:49 PM
by acrajchel
1 97
Food Plot Management
BlackRain75
04-11-2014 10:20 AM
04-11-2014 03:51 PM
by Steve
4 105
Estimating a job
acrajchel
04-08-2014 11:07 AM
04-11-2014 03:32 PM
by Steve
6 244
New Boomless Sprayer!
BlackRain75
01-03-2014 01:01 PM
04-11-2014 03:25 PM
by Steve
11 969
Hello....
SWFloridaLawns
04-10-2014 06:15 PM
04-11-2014 02:28 PM
by Steve
2 104
Truck, Trailer,...
hawthornelawncare
12-23-2011 12:01 AM
04-10-2014 10:33 PM
by ExtremeLawncareServices
78 24,922
Trading Accounts
goodtimez
04-09-2014 05:42 PM
04-10-2014 01:55 PM
by Steve
2 127
Grass that has...
erock289
04-09-2014 10:21 AM
04-10-2014 01:52 PM
by Steve
3 147
Prowrap Trimmer Engine...
Steve
05-24-2006 07:05 PM
04-10-2014 01:09 PM
by Steve
10 2,181
1st annual Easter egg...
Greg'slawnandlandscape
04-09-2014 06:58 AM
04-10-2014 01:07 PM
by Steve
1 95
Hello everyone
aceslawnandgarden
04-03-2014 06:54 PM
04-10-2014 01:06 PM
by Steve
9 329
Weed control programs
Mallard91
04-02-2014 12:25 PM
04-10-2014 12:56 PM
by Steve
6 309
homeowner vs...
GoGreenerKS
04-07-2014 10:54 AM
04-10-2014 12:52 PM
by Steve
8 246
Hello
smgibson
04-07-2014 10:06 PM
04-10-2014 12:39 PM
by Steve
2 102
33" Cub Cadet Walk...
Dan Tanner
04-07-2014 08:49 AM
04-10-2014 12:35 PM
by Steve
5 169
They may never even see...
Darksteel
04-05-2014 11:40 AM
04-09-2014 05:13 PM
by goodtimez
7 304
$300 and counting
acrajchel
04-04-2014 10:03 AM
04-07-2014 10:34 PM
by Steve
12 475
Hello From North Texas
stanleylawncare
04-07-2014 01:14 PM
04-07-2014 10:15 PM
by Steve
1 95
» Popular Tags
2wd 4x4 advertisement article marketing birdscaping blower care charge christmas light service collections subcontractor customers echo ecosymbiosis exmark fall ferris financing flower bed for sale four wheel drive franchise fs90r gopherhaul gravely gravely 34" zero turn holiday holiday decorating how much to charge installation invoice labor cost late lawn lawn care lawn care business lawn care business show lawn clarksville lawn service lawn service clarksville tn leaf cleanup lesco llc marketing monthly mowing mulch mulch price new and restored landscapes new buisness new business oil podcast promotion scag seo snow sole proprietorship starting a business steve stihl story subcontractor taxes theft of services tips turfgrass consulting walker winter yard clarksville zero turn
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.1.0

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:00 PM.


(C) 2011 Riggs Publications - Terms of use & Privacy Policy

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:00 PM.

(C) 2011 Riggs Publications - Terms of use & Privacy Policy