Lawn Care Business Forum Lawn Care Business Book Lawn Care Business Blog Lawn Care Software
Home Forum Contract & Flyer Templates Blog Software Videos Podcast Calculators / Estimators Store Mower Review Design It Yourself Lawn Business School

Go Back   GopherHaul Landscaping & Lawn Care Business Marketing Forum > Just starting your lawn care or landscaping business? > Community Assistance

Community Assistance Community questions, comments, and suggestions. Problems posting? Email me.

Tiller Assistance


Community Assistance

Community questions, comments, and suggestions. Problems posting? Email me.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 05-16-2009, 11:51 PM
swstout's Avatar
swstout swstout is offline
Steve
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Canastota, NY
Age: 65
Posts: 1,082
Rep Power: 7
swstout is on a distinguished road
Default Tiller Assistance

This week I have done 2 jobs where I tilled the entire lawn. One 24,000 sg. ft. and the other 19,000 sq. ft. I rented a Kubuto front loader with a rerar tiller ($400.00 per day plus delivery and pick-up and fuel - $530.00 plus). I charge rental fees plus $350.00 labor. I'm looking at picking up another 8 - 10 jobs.

I found this http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...000P?adCell=W3 for $1,200.00. If I charged $350.00 per job, I could pay for it with just 4 jobs. Also, with the rental tractor, I have to skip where the septic tank is and use a walk behind for fear of crushing the septic tank. This would bypass that.

I have a Craftsman 26HP ZTT-52 tractor/mower I picked up at an estate auction for $1,100.00 to pull it with.

Any input would be greatly appreciated. I was looking at putting down $6,000.00 and financing a model similar to what I am now renting and then would hae to get a different truck (SC law requires a 1 ton capacity vehicle to transport it).

Any suggestions?

Steve
__________________


Reply With Quote

Stop guess-timating. Learn how to estimate and make money! $$$
Mow Time Estimator Lawn Care Price Estimator Mulch and Topsoil Calculator Snow Plow Estimate Calculator


  #2  
Old 05-17-2009, 05:17 AM
picframer's Avatar
picframer picframer is offline
Andy
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia
Posts: 2,885
Rep Power: 9
picframer will become famous soon enough
Default

Lawn care business tipsLawn Care Business Book
Steve, At the rate you are going I would encourage you to consider a small four wheel drive Kubota or John Deere tractor that has a three point hitch and PTO, I know it is considerable capital to start with however it will open a lot of doors and pay for itself fairly quick.

I do not know your terrain so my observation would be based on my experience here. I pull tiller for a lawn tractor would not work well, we till a lot of gardens and lawns and we quite often use four wheel drive for grades etc.

Does your rental place rent a pull tiller you could attach to one of your tractors to try so that you would know if it might work? I believe what you are renting is PTO driven. The other thing I would do it talk to the rental place and work a deal, we rent a compactor from time to time and they give us a 50% discount off consumer rental prices.

You might also be able to lease a tractor if the up front capital is a concern, keep in mind Kubota and John Deere have 0% financing on at the moment.

You had mentioned the Kubota dealer was getting a small CUT (Compact Utility Tractor) in, these things really hold their value and are not cheap but then again in my experience they pay for themselves in 6 months or less.

Andy
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-17-2009, 08:20 AM
swstout's Avatar
swstout swstout is offline
Steve
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Canastota, NY
Age: 65
Posts: 1,082
Rep Power: 7
swstout is on a distinguished road
Default Job and ecomonny outlook

Quote:
Originally Posted by picframer View Post
Steve, At the rate you are going I would encourage you to consider a small four wheel drive Kubota or John Deere tractor that has a three point hitch and PTO, I know it is considerable capital to start with however it will open a lot of doors and pay for itself fairly quick.

I do not know your terrain so my observation would be based on my experience here. I pull tiller for a lawn tractor would not work well, we till a lot of gardens and lawns and we quite often use four wheel drive for grades etc.

Does your rental place rent a pull tiller you could attach to one of your tractors to try so that you would know if it might work? I believe what you are renting is PTO driven. The other thing I would do it talk to the rental place and work a deal, we rent a compactor from time to time and they give us a 50% discount off consumer rental prices.

You might also be able to lease a tractor if the up front capital is a concern, keep in mind Kubota and John Deere have 0% financing on at the moment.

You had mentioned the Kubota dealer was getting a small CUT (Compact Utility Tractor) in, these things really hold their value and are not cheap but then again in my experience they pay for themselves in 6 months or less.

Andy
Andy,

I see your point, but you are much larger than I am. I have 2 equiped trucks and 3 employees (took on 2 this week). I do plan on getting what you suggest, but I want to do it without financing if possible. At the rate I charge per sq. ft, I could recap my investment with 3-4 jobs and have that income to build my cash reserve for future purchases. I give myself a salary and refrain from "dipping in" to the assets of the business.

I'm 60 years old, My equipment is all paid for, I have 3 years - 7 months left on my house mortgage. Maybe, if I see more assurances that jobs and the market will continue to grow I will change my outlook. I feel our current President is only going to make doing business more difficult and much more expensive. Unemployment here is now 9.9% and growing.

The terrain here is mostly compacted sand with some clay here and there so I feel this equipment will do the job for now. I have a 6 month living expense reserve and would like to keep it for emergencies. Neither the Kubota or John Deere dealerships have 0% financing. Neither even have in-house financing.

If things go bust, I will be out $1,300.00 instead of $20,000.00. I have 8-10 pending jobs that will need tilling (and sod). Success here will greatly ease my concerns and probably will change my outlook.

Steve
__________________


Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-17-2009, 08:48 AM
Steve W's Avatar
Steve W Steve W is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: SOWEGA
Age: 48
Posts: 103
Rep Power: 6
Steve W is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
This week I have done 2 jobs where I tilled the entire lawn. One 24,000 sg. ft. and the other 19,000 sq. ft. I rented a Kubuto front loader with a rerar tiller ($400.00 per day plus delivery and pick-up and fuel - $530.00 plus). I charge rental fees plus $350.00 labor. I'm looking at picking up another 8 - 10 jobs.

I found this http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...000P?adCell=W3 for $1,200.00. If I charged $350.00 per job, I could pay for it with just 4 jobs. Also, with the rental tractor, I have to skip where the septic tank is and use a walk behind for fear of crushing the septic tank. This would bypass that.
I think you should keep looking for something else. The size of the jobs you talk about compared to the size of that craftsman tiller would be a joke.
I looked at the tiller and read the reviews and watched the demo video.
It would take you a long time to do one of these jobs and I dont think you would be able to do many with this tiller before it broke down.

Steve
__________________
<a href="http://www.gopherforum.com/index.php?pageid=GopherHaul-Lawn-Care-Business-School&graduate=661b304af1800fad86a3828c8bcbb737">
<img src="http://www.gopherforum.com/uploaded-files/images/school-logo-banner.gif" border="0">
</a>
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-17-2009, 09:49 AM
swstout's Avatar
swstout swstout is offline
Steve
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Canastota, NY
Age: 65
Posts: 1,082
Rep Power: 7
swstout is on a distinguished road
Default Tiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve W View Post
I think you should keep looking for something else. The size of the jobs you talk about compared to the size of that craftsman tiller would be a joke.
I looked at the tiller and read the reviews and watched the demo video.
It would take you a long time to do one of these jobs and I dont think you would be able to do many with this tiller before it broke down.

Steve
Thanks for the input.

The jobs I have pending are 8-10k. The 2 I did this week are exceptions. It is hard to justify a $500.00 plus rental fee, and the rental place only has 1 and it is in demand. I had to wait 2 weeks to get it for 2 days and they charge $65.00 per pick up and delivery. For the 2 jobs I did last week it cost $195.00 for this.

Steve
__________________


Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-17-2009, 10:10 AM
Steve's Avatar
Steve Steve is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 36,377
Rep Power: 10
Steve has disabled reputation
Default

Steve,

What do you think you might do then?

It also makes you wonder if you could get one of these and rent it out although I am sure that would create other headaches but it seems if they are in demand, others out there would either want to rent them or hire someone to perform the service.

This reminds me of a post Andy made in the past about one of his attachments that he had gotten,
__________________
- Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-17-2009, 03:01 PM
picframer's Avatar
picframer picframer is offline
Andy
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia
Posts: 2,885
Rep Power: 9
picframer will become famous soon enough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Steve,

What do you think you might do then?

It also makes you wonder if you could get one of these and rent it out although I am sure that would create other headaches but it seems if they are in demand, others out there would either want to rent them or hire someone to perform the service.

This reminds me of a post Andy made in the past about one of his attachments that he had gotten,
I agree, I understand twenty grand is a big investment but I guess I am a bit of a risk taker and go after it. I put $97,000 of my own money into the company in February, the company will soon have enough to pay me off, if I wish.

I decided today, being my B day, to say to heck with it and continue to grow, I am buying a John Deere 17D excavator, it's a $40,000 investment but I have more than that on the books in jobs to do.

Personally I don't pay a lot of attention to the economy, it is driven for the most part by the media, the media does more damage to the economy than any other thing I am aware of, when I wrote my Masters degree, this is what my thesis was on.

Also tend to buck the trends, there is all kinds of work out there but it doesn't come to you, one has to go after it. I have only been in business since the second week of April, we are now 11 employees and growing and are booked solid into mid June. The majority of the new business is referrals as I stopped all advertising a couple weeks ago, I don't like making people wait.

Anyhow bud, give it careful thought, I don't think the craftsman unit will do the job, I did some researching on Google and wasn't very impressed.

What is your biggest tractor that you own?

Andy
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-17-2009, 03:06 PM
picframer's Avatar
picframer picframer is offline
Andy
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia
Posts: 2,885
Rep Power: 9
picframer will become famous soon enough
Default

Steve, The guys over on the John Deere forum love these units, never seen one but there are a pile of guys that swear by them

http://www.drpower.com/home.aspx

http://www.drpower.com/Roto-Tiller.a...%20Main%20Link
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 05-17-2009, 05:24 PM
swstout's Avatar
swstout swstout is offline
Steve
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Canastota, NY
Age: 65
Posts: 1,082
Rep Power: 7
swstout is on a distinguished road
Default DR Power Products

Quote:
Originally Posted by picframer View Post
Steve, The guys over on the John Deere forum love these units, never seen one but there are a pile of guys that swear by them

http://www.drpower.com/home.aspx

http://www.drpower.com/Roto-Tiller.a...%20Main%20Link
This is much better. With the Cult-packer attachment ($355.00), you can till, seed, and roll inthe same operation.

It is $1,100 ($1,300.00 with electric controls) more but the features and warranty is better. The 1 gallon gas tank I think could be bigger but they say it gets 90 minutes per tank.

I sent for more info.

Thanks,

Steve
__________________


Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 05-17-2009, 05:42 PM
picframer's Avatar
picframer picframer is offline
Andy
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia
Posts: 2,885
Rep Power: 9
picframer will become famous soon enough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by swstout View Post
This is much better. With the Cult-packer attachment ($355.00), you can till, seed, and roll inthe same operation.

It is $1,100 ($1,300.00 with electric controls) more but the features and warranty is better. The 1 gallon gas tank I think could be bigger but they say it gets 90 minutes per tank.

I sent for more info.

Thanks,

Steve
Some of the guys over on the forum said they have excellent financing. I know two guys on the forum quite well that do the same things as I do and they tell me these products are very well made, one fellow has become a great friend and knows his stuff so I believe this would be a far better option for you and let us know what you decide and how it works out.

What will you be pulling it with?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
logo assistance teewolf Graphic Design Discussions 7 11-22-2007 08:54 AM
Tiller patent for sale Steve General Business Discussions 2 04-24-2007 09:29 PM
Need LOGO assistance Graphic Design Discussions 1 06-29-2006 04:13 AM
Joe needs design assistance Steve Graphic Design Discussions 0 06-13-2006 08:18 PM
LOGO ASSISTANCE teewolf General Business Discussions 4 02-28-2006 01:10 PM

» Recent Threads
  RatingTitle, Username, & Date Last Post Replies Views
Non-Stop Summer?
SouthallMowing
09-14-2014 10:51 PM
Today 06:13 AM
by Billy Goat
5 199
new to the forum
SGlawncare
Yesterday 11:20 PM
Yesterday 11:20 PM
by SGlawncare
0 32
Tribulations of working...
stevef1201
09-13-2014 08:37 AM
Yesterday 10:43 PM
by SGL1
6 292
Lowballers scrubs &...
Darksteel
01-13-2014 07:35 AM
Yesterday 04:49 PM
by stevef1201
55 6,483
Poll - net income
Dan5082
11-15-2010 08:08 PM
Yesterday 04:44 PM
by jrs.landscaping
12 3,072
Price to apply fertilizer
SS.Lawncare
09-15-2014 11:10 AM
Yesterday 04:31 PM
by jrs.landscaping
5 166
Help With Snow Blowing...
Robertf31
09-13-2014 10:55 PM
Yesterday 02:33 PM
by Robertf31
10 382
Getting lowballed!
PineHillLawn
06-27-2012 07:23 AM
Yesterday 01:25 PM
by jrs.landscaping
24 4,730
snowplowing
jshak40
09-01-2014 07:20 AM
Yesterday 01:16 PM
by Steve
21 1,162
Compare this summer to...
Steve
09-03-2014 12:52 PM
Yesterday 11:20 AM
by Hanks Lawn Care Services
15 970
thinking about throwing...
veteranslawncaresystems
09-09-2014 10:31 PM
09-15-2014 03:41 PM
by Steve
12 659
Hello
Robertf31
09-12-2014 10:34 PM
09-15-2014 03:17 PM
by Steve
2 282
Newbie......Again
Jibber
09-13-2014 12:17 PM
09-15-2014 02:54 PM
by Sprinkler Buddy
2 248
Replacing a Shindi T-27
Dan Tanner
09-13-2014 12:59 PM
09-15-2014 02:31 PM
by Steve
1 216
need help with starter...
GoGreenerKS
09-12-2014 04:23 PM
09-15-2014 02:25 PM
by Steve
3 290
Brake job!
kslawn
08-30-2014 07:49 AM
09-15-2014 02:16 PM
by Steve
12 979
Hello
jawnebgoode
08-28-2014 08:37 PM
09-15-2014 02:15 PM
by Steve
3 765
Employee uniforms
Gerardo_Landscape
01-21-2014 11:11 PM
09-15-2014 02:12 PM
by Steve
5 885
Greetings from the north
Northwoods Outdoors
09-13-2014 08:55 AM
09-15-2014 02:07 PM
by Steve
1 232
darleneh
darleneh
09-15-2014 12:33 PM
09-15-2014 02:07 PM
by Sprinkler Buddy
1 108
My 1st bid
WesleySnips
06-11-2014 03:13 PM
09-15-2014 02:05 PM
by Steve
29 1,675
New Aerator
Chaz
09-09-2014 11:43 PM
09-15-2014 01:50 PM
by Steve
9 497
Yearly contract Pricing
jrob0691
08-21-2014 08:57 AM
09-15-2014 01:23 PM
by stevef1201
8 1,148
Scag turf tiger hydrolic...
ExtremeLawncareServices
09-04-2014 10:55 PM
09-14-2014 03:06 PM
by ExtremeLawncareServices
8 675
These are the days on...
ExtremeLawncareServices
03-22-2014 09:12 AM
09-13-2014 09:14 PM
by ExtremeLawncareServices
116 7,866
getting ready to start
calebmoss
05-23-2011 09:35 PM
09-11-2014 12:21 PM
by Steve
34 11,158
Stihl pull cord replace
SGL1
09-03-2014 09:22 PM
09-10-2014 12:25 PM
by Steve
9 692
Softball field
kslawn
08-15-2014 09:28 AM
09-10-2014 12:16 PM
by Steve
18 1,412
Lawn Route Templates
Landscaper1165
08-30-2014 01:52 PM
09-09-2014 08:05 PM
by Landscaper1165
4 897
New truck and trailer...
Johnny Rocket
05-14-2012 03:41 PM
09-09-2014 07:23 PM
by Matther777
18 6,495
What gets you bad press?
Steve
09-09-2014 11:48 AM
09-09-2014 07:21 PM
by Matther777
2 401
Signs on your snow plow?
Steve
01-15-2007 01:07 AM
09-09-2014 11:42 AM
by Steve
19 6,137
Exmark Lazer Z S-Series...
BLC7
08-22-2014 10:18 AM
09-08-2014 08:08 PM
by avetslawncare
12 1,195
New to the business
flamingyouth87
09-05-2014 11:52 AM
09-08-2014 11:55 AM
by Steve
3 599
Hello from Ohio
kurtwin
08-28-2014 05:06 PM
09-08-2014 11:51 AM
by Steve
7 879
Facebook
element009
03-23-2011 08:36 AM
09-07-2014 07:35 AM
by avetslawncare
24 7,663
Help pricing cut down 7...
Bradcook21
08-26-2014 11:17 PM
09-06-2014 02:09 PM
by Bradcook21
8 960
billing matters
sbuchanan8154
09-05-2014 09:56 AM
09-05-2014 03:00 PM
by Steve
3 575
Thoughts
googus
09-05-2014 07:28 AM
09-05-2014 02:23 PM
by Steve
2 531
Backflow Tester
flowcheckllc.2014
09-03-2014 04:37 PM
09-05-2014 02:15 PM
by Steve
3 613
Collections & collection...
jscarolina
09-03-2014 04:39 PM
09-04-2014 03:14 PM
by Steve
2 636
Sod
RosalesLawnCare
08-27-2014 03:47 PM
09-04-2014 02:42 PM
by RosalesLawnCare
4 884
Lawn needs top soil What...
jymie
08-26-2014 11:01 AM
09-03-2014 12:07 PM
by Steve
7 955
Hello! New here and...
CaliforniaFriendly
08-29-2014 11:30 AM
09-03-2014 11:15 AM
by Steve
4 859
Trailer tires
J.A.S.LawnService
09-01-2014 10:17 AM
09-02-2014 03:27 PM
by Steve
3 769
Mowing 7 acres
avetslawncare
08-31-2014 04:24 PM
09-02-2014 03:11 PM
by Steve
5 846
New to the industry-...
Lsmain
08-31-2014 10:53 AM
09-02-2014 02:58 PM
by Steve
1 770
Walk Behinds and Texas...
SGL1
08-26-2014 03:53 PM
09-01-2014 11:36 PM
by SGL1
7 958
Stihl engine isn't...
Marcintosh
08-12-2014 08:30 PM
08-28-2014 09:28 PM
by Marcintosh
12 1,262
Say Hello !!!
Steve
03-19-2007 11:18 AM
08-27-2014 08:33 PM
by kurtwin
1,187 333,999
» Popular Tags
4wd apartment bid apartment lawn care estimate butterfly gardens care charge christmas deliquentaccounts estimate exmark fall ferris financing foreman four wheel drive franchise gopherhaul grass gravely hills holiday how much to charge introduction john deere quik trac kansas city labor cost landscape services late lawn lawn care busines plan lawn care business lawn care business book lawn care business seo lawn care business show lawn care business website lawn care business website seo lawn care website leaf cleanup lesco lighting managing a lawn care business marketing mechanic mowing mulch price new buisness new business new mower outdoor environments podcast property management company push versus ride reo rotating scag scripts search engine optimization season seo snow plowing starting a business starting a lawn care business steve stihl theft tips toro tractor auger walker wright stander rh
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.1.0

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:16 AM.


(C) 2011 Riggs Publications - Terms of use & Privacy Policy

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:16 AM.

(C) 2011 Riggs Publications - Terms of use & Privacy Policy