Lawn Care Business Forum Lawn Care Business Book Lawn Care Business Blog Lawn Care Software
Home Forum Contract & Flyer Templates Blog Software Videos Podcast Calculators / Estimators Store Mower Review Design It Yourself Lawn Business School

Go Back   GopherHaul Landscaping & Lawn Care Business Marketing Forum > Just starting your lawn care or landscaping business? > Introduce Yourself

Introduce Yourself Welcome all new forum members. Please introduce yourself and tell us about you. Tell us about your company. How did you get started? How long have you been in business? What do you do for fun? Don't be shy, say hello! It's fun and educational to interact on the forum!

Hello from N Carolina


Introduce Yourself

Welcome all new forum members. Please introduce yourself and tell us about you. Tell us about your company. How did you get started? How long have you been in business? What do you do for fun? Don't be shy, say hello! It's fun and educational to interact on the forum!
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 05-14-2009, 10:57 AM
9518terry 9518terry is offline
new member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 6
Rep Power: 0
9518terry is on a distinguished road
Angry Hello from N Carolina

Howdy, I'm new to the lawn business and would like some advice.I live about 20 miles North of Charoltte NC. With a friend of mind we sugested that we would mow in Kannapolis NC. I'm embarrassed to say the amount he would mow for.$10.00 a yard.The yards are about 1/2 a acre.I think it is stupid for the price.Should I start my own business or just give up with the idea.
Reply With Quote

Stop guess-timating. Learn how to estimate and make money! $$$
Mow Time Estimator Lawn Care Price Estimator Mulch and Topsoil Calculator Snow Plow Estimate Calculator


  #2  
Old 05-14-2009, 12:43 PM
Steve's Avatar
Steve Steve is online now
Administrator
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 37,460
Rep Power: 10
Steve has disabled reputation
Default

Lawn care business tipsLawn Care Business Book
Quote:
Should I start my own business or just give up with the idea.
Welcome to our forum.

It sounds like your prices are very low.

What would you ideally like to do? Do you want to be in a partnership? Do you want to run your own business? What are your thoughts on this?
__________________
- Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-14-2009, 11:26 PM
SuperiorPower
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

I agree, that sounds way low. Something to think about is that if you quote a low, low price people will think that the quality is going to be the same way.

You need to figure out how much it costs you to operate per hour. Here are somethings to figure in:

-cost of equipment (Mower, blower, trimmer, truck/trailer, edgers, etc)
-maintenance costs,
-fuel to travel from job to job,
-pay your self wages doing so,

When considering cost of equipment, I know you probably already own most of this equipment but just remember you will have to replace it eventually. Figure it as if you just bought the equipment solely for the purpose of the business. Then find out how much it will cost you to service it at least once or twice per year (based on the hours it will run). Don't forget buying gas for the mower, trimmer, etc.

lets say that hypothetically you are using a $1500 mower that you already own and use for your own yard. I would suggest that this this mower cost can be split up into 2 years. That brings you to $1000 yearly mower costs.

Lets say the maintenance costs are going to be $350 per year, hypothetically. If you figure that you are going to be running your mower 400 hours this season, lets estimate the gas at, say $350. Now you have $700 per year in floating costs for the mower. your total per year costs are now $1700.

$1700/400 hours=$4.25 per hour of machine operation. This is figuring only while the machine is operating.

Now do that with all your equipment. If the trimmer costs $250 (divided by 2 years), maintenance costs, fuel, trimmer line, etc. costs you $125 per year =$250 in yearly costs. Let's figure that your trimmer will run 50 hours per year. $250/50 hours= $5 per hour of operation.

other equipment total costs $250 (divided by 2 years), maintenance costs, fuel, trimmer line, etc. costs you $125 per year =$250 in yearly costs. Let's figure that this equipment will run 20 hours per year. $250/30 hours= $$8.34 per hour of operation.

If a 1/2 yard takes you 45 minutes to mow, and another 15 minutes to trim, and 10 minutes with the other equipment, your out of pocket costs are:

mower $3.75 + Trimmer $1.25 + other equipment $1.40 = $6.40 in out of pocket costs to mow that yard. This leaves $3.60 for your vehicle insurance, wear and tear, and gasoline. And you have not done more than cover your expenses, much less made any money for yourselves. Pay yourselves at least $10+ per hour......

Here is another thread that talks about the cost of doing business per hour. I think it is much better explained there.

Good luck.
Eli
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-15-2009, 02:05 PM
9518terry 9518terry is offline
new member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 6
Rep Power: 0
9518terry is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Welcome to our forum.

It sounds like your prices are very low.

What would you ideally like to do? Do you want to be in a partnership? Do you want to run your own business? What are your thoughts on this?
Hey Steve,
To answer your question? I prefer to run my own business! Idon't know the first thing about running a business.I've always worked with a company.

Last edited by 9518terry; 05-15-2009 at 02:13 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-15-2009, 02:07 PM
9518terry 9518terry is offline
new member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 6
Rep Power: 0
9518terry is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperiorPower View Post
I agree, that sounds way low. Something to think about is that if you quote a low, low price people will think that the quality is going to be the same way.

You need to figure out how much it costs you to operate per hour. Here are somethings to figure in:

-cost of equipment (Mower, blower, trimmer, truck/trailer, edgers, etc)
-maintenance costs,
-fuel to travel from job to job,
-pay your self wages doing so,

When considering cost of equipment, I know you probably already own most of this equipment but just remember you will have to replace it eventually. Figure it as if you just bought the equipment solely for the purpose of the business. Then find out how much it will cost you to service it at least once or twice per year (based on the hours it will run). Don't forget buying gas for the mower, trimmer, etc.

lets say that hypothetically you are using a $1500 mower that you already own and use for your own yard. I would suggest that this this mower cost can be split up into 2 years. That brings you to $1000 yearly mower costs.

Lets say the maintenance costs are going to be $350 per year, hypothetically. If you figure that you are going to be running your mower 400 hours this season, lets estimate the gas at, say $350. Now you have $700 per year in floating costs for the mower. your total per year costs are now $1700.

$1700/400 hours=$4.25 per hour of machine operation. This is figuring only while the machine is operating.

Now do that with all your equipment. If the trimmer costs $250 (divided by 2 years), maintenance costs, fuel, trimmer line, etc. costs you $125 per year =$250 in yearly costs. Let's figure that your trimmer will run 50 hours per year. $250/50 hours= $5 per hour of operation.

other equipment total costs $250 (divided by 2 years), maintenance costs, fuel, trimmer line, etc. costs you $125 per year =$250 in yearly costs. Let's figure that this equipment will run 20 hours per year. $250/30 hours= $$8.34 per hour of operation.

If a 1/2 yard takes you 45 minutes to mow, and another 15 minutes to trim, and 10 minutes with the other equipment, your out of pocket costs are:

mower $3.75 + Trimmer $1.25 + other equipment $1.40 = $6.40 in out of pocket costs to mow that yard. This leaves $3.60 for your vehicle insurance, wear and tear, and gasoline. And you have not done more than cover your expenses, much less made any money for yourselves. Pay yourselves at least $10+ per hour......

Here is another thread that talks about the cost of doing business per hour. I think it is much better explained there.

Good luck.
Eli
Hello SuperiorPower,
Thanks for the information.That is very helpful.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-15-2009, 02:20 PM
Steve's Avatar
Steve Steve is online now
Administrator
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 37,460
Rep Power: 10
Steve has disabled reputation
Default

Quote:
To answer your question? I prefer to run my own business! Idon't know the first thing about running a business.I've always worked with a company.
Well I would say you are well advanced in what you need to know. If you wanted to get started. This is the place to ask questions.

What would you say is holding you back from doing it?
__________________
- Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-15-2009, 04:19 PM
9518terry 9518terry is offline
new member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 6
Rep Power: 0
9518terry is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Well I would say you are well advanced in what you need to know. If you wanted to get started. This is the place to ask questions.

What would you say is holding you back from doing it?
fear of failer
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-15-2009, 04:22 PM
Steve's Avatar
Steve Steve is online now
Administrator
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 37,460
Rep Power: 10
Steve has disabled reputation
Default

The only time you fail is when you give up.
__________________
- Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 05-15-2009, 05:35 PM
CHEESE2009 CHEESE2009 is offline
Dr. Scott - Ruler of the Underworld
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Switzerland, Grindelwald
Age: 74
Posts: 4,475
Rep Power: 0
CHEESE2009 is on a distinguished road
Default

The odds are on your side. Failure, nah. A crummy start, of course!

You wont fail my friend. Take a step back & play the role of the customer.

What are you required to do? Do it.

You need customers; Advertise > How to advertise? a) Business Cards b) flyers

Just ask yourself tons of questions & answer each one that branches off from it.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 05-15-2009, 07:39 PM
9518terry 9518terry is offline
new member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 6
Rep Power: 0
9518terry is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BREEZE2009 View Post
The odds are on your side. Failure, nah. A crummy start, of course!

You wont fail my friend. Take a step back & play the role of the customer.

What are you required to do? Do it.

You need customers; Advertise > How to advertise? a) Business Cards b) flyers

Just ask yourself tons of questions & answer each one that branches off from it.
thanks man
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hello From North Carolina Economy Landscaping Introduce Yourself 6 05-12-2009 12:08 PM
anyody from NC? North Carolina Prices ??? mattamus2005 Starting a lawn care business. 7 05-12-2009 07:53 AM
South Carolina SC101 Introduce Yourself 6 02-02-2007 08:47 PM

» Recent Threads
  RatingTitle, Username, & Date Last Post Replies Views
Should I buy this Exmark...
googus
Today 09:22 AM
Today 09:46 AM
by Steve
2 26
Unemployment rates drop,...
Steve
Yesterday 12:40 PM
Today 09:42 AM
by Steve
2 54
Before & After tree...
COREtreeservice
07-01-2015 09:20 PM
07-01-2015 09:20 PM
by COREtreeservice
0 64
Dogs
Mr. Mow
06-29-2015 02:37 PM
07-01-2015 11:28 AM
by Steve
6 1,833
Ready to learn and get...
Koley Lawn & Landscape
06-28-2015 05:16 AM
07-01-2015 11:26 AM
by Steve
8 1,831
Three Stripe Land Care...
hammr04
06-30-2015 07:19 PM
07-01-2015 11:24 AM
by Steve
1 63
Just about mid year, how...
GreenWorx
06-24-2015 07:05 PM
06-30-2015 07:41 PM
by hammr04
5 1,880
Country Life Lawn Care
darleneh
06-29-2015 11:24 AM
06-30-2015 01:25 PM
by Steve
3 1,723
Rubber mulch...
avetslawncare
06-24-2015 09:28 PM
06-29-2015 09:23 PM
by Chilehead
6 1,845
I dont know what to do...
Bradcook21
06-21-2015 08:49 AM
06-29-2015 02:30 PM
by Mr. Mow
11 2,099
Marketing ideas
xandrew245x
04-29-2014 06:35 AM
06-25-2015 07:11 PM
by GreenWorx
34 5,696
Never ending sod jobs
avetslawncare
06-05-2015 09:46 PM
06-25-2015 11:42 AM
by Steve
11 2,324
Weed and Feed Service...
mike94740
06-23-2015 05:50 PM
06-24-2015 09:56 PM
by avetslawncare
2 1,778
Trimming hedges / trees,...
Hard-Body lawn & garden
06-23-2015 07:08 PM
06-24-2015 09:59 AM
by Steve
1 1,776
Hi Everyone from Arkansas
KellyMarie
06-04-2015 04:16 PM
06-23-2015 01:34 PM
by KellyMarie
4 2,048
how to make customers...
Bradcook21
05-27-2015 05:04 PM
06-23-2015 06:36 AM
by GreenWorx
7 2,278
problems with a customer...
LawnCareMan280
06-16-2015 10:26 PM
06-22-2015 11:11 AM
by Steve
6 2,059
Please review this FREE...
markty
06-21-2015 07:42 AM
06-22-2015 11:00 AM
by Steve
1 1,801
A good commercial bid...
burtle
06-20-2015 09:09 PM
06-22-2015 10:56 AM
by Steve
1 1,860
What would you do with...
holymoly
06-20-2015 06:48 PM
06-22-2015 10:48 AM
by Steve
1 1,812
New Member just joined...
vgoleco@hotmail.com
06-19-2015 03:49 PM
06-22-2015 10:42 AM
by Steve
2 1,832
Credit Cards - What's in...
Shark1611
06-16-2015 03:04 PM
06-21-2015 07:24 PM
by Chilehead
4 1,921
Blade usage
Wolf4dk
06-16-2015 12:18 AM
06-21-2015 05:35 PM
by kslawn
4 1,937
Hello, I am new to the...
adamslawnservices
06-17-2015 08:06 PM
06-19-2015 10:28 AM
by Steve
3 1,863
Is it too late to do...
markty
06-16-2015 05:28 PM
06-19-2015 10:22 AM
by Steve
4 1,942
First commercial bid
SGL1
06-12-2015 08:57 PM
06-18-2015 05:04 PM
by SGL1
9 2,310
Needing a website built
burtle
06-17-2015 09:02 AM
06-18-2015 11:02 AM
by Steve
7 2,008
I have been rude and...
biglee
06-15-2015 10:11 PM
06-18-2015 10:46 AM
by Steve
10 2,094
Start LIKING FACEBOOK...
rlclawncare123
02-26-2015 12:06 AM
06-17-2015 08:38 AM
by burtle
9 3,182
Customer keeps adding...
Mr. Mow
06-13-2015 06:22 AM
06-16-2015 10:23 AM
by Steve
11 2,245
Pass discounts onto...
burnell76
06-03-2015 06:33 PM
06-16-2015 10:02 AM
by burnell76
3 2,028
burned grass only where...
nhauto
06-15-2015 05:28 PM
06-16-2015 09:45 AM
by Steve
2 1,901
Half year mark review.
Steve
06-02-2015 11:24 AM
06-15-2015 01:04 PM
by Steve
18 2,617
These are the days on...
ExtremeLawncareServices
01-11-2015 10:41 AM
06-15-2015 01:01 PM
by Steve
86 9,674
New Member
Bruce Fehr
06-05-2015 07:13 PM
06-15-2015 12:53 PM
by Steve
6 2,036
New to the business,...
CarefreeMowing
06-12-2015 02:36 PM
06-15-2015 12:50 PM
by Steve
1 1,915
Beginner Mistakes:...
Steve
01-31-2007 11:45 AM
06-13-2015 08:48 AM
by holymoly
45 12,006
New to the forum, new to...
CarefreeMowing
06-11-2015 12:35 PM
06-12-2015 10:44 AM
by Steve
2 1,834
problems with a customer
LawnCareMan280
05-19-2015 06:28 PM
06-11-2015 10:50 PM
by stallman419
8 2,380
Website Review
Outdoordesignsknox
06-08-2015 08:44 PM
06-11-2015 09:48 PM
by Just for Cuts
13 2,263
another newish job for me
holymoly
06-07-2015 08:34 AM
06-11-2015 10:05 AM
by Steve
8 2,076
Anyone need help? I have...
biglee
05-06-2015 12:22 PM
06-10-2015 01:45 PM
by holymoly
15 2,971
Hello from the GREAT...
gbfarmsllc
06-09-2015 11:10 AM
06-10-2015 01:29 PM
by Sprinkler Buddy
2 1,903
Hey guys and gals, I'm...
Joeyhall
06-03-2015 03:54 PM
06-08-2015 02:15 PM
by chris2500hd
8 2,145
Mowing Bermuda...
Mr. Mow
06-02-2015 12:45 PM
06-08-2015 12:45 PM
by Steve
12 2,302
Hey Guys
PrattLandscaping
06-07-2015 06:37 PM
06-08-2015 12:23 PM
by Steve
2 1,917
Share your stolen...
SGL1
05-27-2015 09:05 PM
06-08-2015 11:54 AM
by Steve
25 2,852
Hello there My name is...
zwalk1839
06-04-2015 11:10 PM
06-08-2015 11:52 AM
by Steve
4 2,030
Laid off oil field...
Mr. Mow
05-30-2015 09:03 AM
06-08-2015 06:20 AM
by Mr. Mow
4 2,136
How do you find one time...
Greg'slawnandlandscape
06-02-2015 09:57 PM
06-05-2015 09:49 PM
by avetslawncare
4 2,062
» Popular Tags
aerocore apartment bid apartment complex apartment lawn care estimate applying bark billy goat brushcutter blowout bush collections contract help curb appeal services deliquentaccounts design ditches door hangers employee problems equipment rental facebook flyers foreman free advertising free lawn care google growing a lawn care business hills hiring how to husqvarna increase customers jobs landscape services landscaping landscaping training lawn aeration lawn care lawn care busines plan lawn mowing marketing more customers business mr dave mulch new business per hour charge plowing pricing profit on employee push versus ride scag secrets to landscaping sell the vision seo shell shreaded small engine repair snow plowing sq ft square foot steep lawns swzt trailer trailer mate pro tree tree pics trimmer rack web design website website design winterization wood
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.1.0

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:02 AM.


(C) 2011 Riggs Publications - Terms of use & Privacy Policy

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:02 AM.

(C) 2011 Riggs Publications - Terms of use & Privacy Policy