Lawn Care Business Forum Lawn Care Business Book Lawn Care Business Blog Lawn Care Software
Home Forum Contract & Flyer Templates Blog Software Videos Podcast Calculators / Estimators Store Mower Review Design It Yourself Lawn Business School

Go Back   GopherHaul Landscaping & Lawn Care Business Marketing Forum > Just starting your lawn care or landscaping business? > Community Assistance

Community Assistance Community questions, comments, and suggestions. Problems posting? Email me.

Sod help


Community Assistance

Community questions, comments, and suggestions. Problems posting? Email me.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 05-13-2009, 07:16 PM
swstout's Avatar
swstout swstout is offline
Steve
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Canastota, NY
Age: 65
Posts: 1,082
Rep Power: 7
swstout is on a distinguished road
Default Sod help

I have been getting calls for estimates on sod turf. I have some questions.

I find sod distributors on the web but very little information. One farm 12 miles from me offers 4x4x4 pallets (covers 400 sq .ft.), small rolls and large rolls and weight 1,700 to 2,900 pounds for a pallet.

Is there any advantage to the different styles (cost, ease of installation, needed equipment)?

All of the web sites show the different sods they carry but none give prices.

The last time I layed sod was 30 years ago for my own home in Jacksonville Florida. Any tips, suggestions, warnings?

Steve
__________________


Reply With Quote

Stop guess-timating. Learn how to estimate and make money! $$$
Mow Time Estimator Lawn Care Price Estimator Mulch and Topsoil Calculator Snow Plow Estimate Calculator


  #2  
Old 05-13-2009, 07:38 PM
CheapNEasy CheapNEasy is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Georgia
Age: 30
Posts: 119
Rep Power: 6
CheapNEasy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default

Lawn care business tipsLawn Care Business Book
Here is an article I found may through a little insight to your question.

http://www.essortment.com/home/lawncaretipsi_sdlv.htm

I have always laid the rectangle sections of sod never laid the bigger rolls.

I find the sectionals easy to work with and such...

Make sure the soil is prepared correctly and ready before hand.

Once its laid and fertilized, good time to apply lime also! Water, roll, and water again till almost a "puddling" then you should be good to go... My aunt has helped me lay sod at a few properties.... she worked at a nursery for about 15 years and is a certified horticulturist.

Hope this helps at all...
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-13-2009, 07:44 PM
CheapNEasy CheapNEasy is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Georgia
Age: 30
Posts: 119
Rep Power: 6
CheapNEasy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default

Here is a pricing chart for one of my suppliers, I am in Ga.

Zoysia (Empire) 504 sqft. pallet $200 pallet
Zoysia (Meyer)504 sqft $199 Pallet
Zoysia (Emerald) 504 sqft 209 Pallet
Bermuda (Certified Tifway 419)504sqft $109 Pallet
Tall Fescue 504 sqft $167 Pallet
Centipede 504 sqft $179 Pallet
St. Augustine (Palmetto)504 sqft $199 Pallet
St. Augustine (Raleigh)504 sqft $199 Pallet

Always very very good sod.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-13-2009, 07:48 PM
swstout's Avatar
swstout swstout is offline
Steve
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Canastota, NY
Age: 65
Posts: 1,082
Rep Power: 7
swstout is on a distinguished road
Default Thanks

Interesting article.

Steve
__________________


Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-13-2009, 09:16 PM
swstout's Avatar
swstout swstout is offline
Steve
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Canastota, NY
Age: 65
Posts: 1,082
Rep Power: 7
swstout is on a distinguished road
Default How do you figure labor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheapNEasy View Post
Here is an article I found may through a little insight to your question.

http://www.essortment.com/home/lawncaretipsi_sdlv.htm

I have always laid the rectangle sections of sod never laid the bigger rolls.

I find the sectionals easy to work with and such...

Make sure the soil is prepared correctly and ready before hand.

Once its laid and fertilized, good time to apply lime also! Water, roll, and water again till almost a "puddling" then you should be good to go... My aunt has helped me lay sod at a few properties.... she worked at a nursery for about 15 years and is a certified horticulturist.

Hope this helps at all...
How do you figure labor? It's been 30 years since I did it. Then it was $100.00 a pallet. After doing it myself then (I thought it was a bargan). I didn't know what I was doing, what techinques saved time and work and it was hard work.

Steve
__________________


Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-13-2009, 11:02 PM
CheapNEasy CheapNEasy is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Georgia
Age: 30
Posts: 119
Rep Power: 6
CheapNEasy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default

I have heard that most charge around $2 to $3.50 per sqft

I have been charging around $750 for purchase of $200 pallet, soil prep, install, roll and watering.

Just seems like a decent figure to me and I dont mind doing it for that rate.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-14-2009, 05:29 AM
picframer's Avatar
picframer picframer is offline
Andy
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia
Posts: 2,885
Rep Power: 9
picframer will become famous soon enough
Default

I have two suppliers of Kentucky Blue Grass, one delivers for $75.00 doesn't matter what amount, one we have to pick up from and I keep about 5,000 square feet at the house along with soil (garden and lawn) mulch, clear stone, pea gravel etc.

I was shocked when I went into these places to set up a commercial account and get contractor pricing, we are paying about 50% less than customers, currently I am paying $0.21 a square foot and I charge $0.53 plus $0.46 to lay and $36.00 a thousand to spray. We too are getting a lot of requests for sodding, it's so heavy to transport, I only have two trailers that are worth the effort on big jobs, they are tandem and will haul 7,000 pounds.

We all meet at the house here at 6:30 in the morning, I plan the night before or if I have time plan ahead what crews are doing what, I hand them two work orders for each site, one for the client and one for the client's signature, they have to come back with the money attached (cheque, credit or cash) the staff then get loaded up.

I bought an older John deere with a loader which stays at the house, most of the staff can run it and load themselves or come back for more if required which is usually the case.

I am thinking of having one of the guys simply do deliveries to the crews or the job site the day before, I am trying a lot of things to figure out what the process should be that is the most efficient. We have a very quick staff meeting every morning to talk about when the staff would like changed, ideas, problems etc. Everyone has an equal say and every idea is counted, really builds the team.

Thank goodness I have an office lady helping me or we would be in serious trouble due to the quick growth, she is amazing and very well organized, as I mentioned before she is a single work at home mom, I gave her a gift certificate for a weekend at a spa for Mothers day, these little things go a long way, I think everyone is putting in 110%.

Make sure you keep lots of stakes for the sods in your vehicles, they are free here, staff generally go back after 5 +/- days to remove them or collect them from the home owner.

So in closing make sure you tell them you are a contractor, make your company sound big as that is their target market and push for a discount as you will get it.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-14-2009, 08:03 PM
swstout's Avatar
swstout swstout is offline
Steve
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Canastota, NY
Age: 65
Posts: 1,082
Rep Power: 7
swstout is on a distinguished road
Default Sod Deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by picframer View Post
I have two suppliers of Kentucky Blue Grass, one delivers for $75.00 doesn't matter what amount, one we have to pick up from and I keep about 5,000 square feet at the house along with soil (garden and lawn) mulch, clear stone, pea gravel etc.

I was shocked when I went into these places to set up a commercial account and get contractor pricing, we are paying about 50% less than customers, currently I am paying $0.21 a square foot and I charge $0.53 plus $0.46 to lay and $36.00 a thousand to spray. We too are getting a lot of requests for sodding, it's so heavy to transport, I only have two trailers that are worth the effort on big jobs, they are tandem and will haul 7,000 pounds.

We all meet at the house here at 6:30 in the morning, I plan the night before or if I have time plan ahead what crews are doing what, I hand them two work orders for each site, one for the client and one for the client's signature, they have to come back with the money attached (cheque, credit or cash) the staff then get loaded up.

I bought an older John deere with a loader which stays at the house, most of the staff can run it and load themselves or come back for more if required which is usually the case.

I am thinking of having one of the guys simply do deliveries to the crews or the job site the day before, I am trying a lot of things to figure out what the process should be that is the most efficient. We have a very quick staff meeting every morning to talk about when the staff would like changed, ideas, problems etc. Everyone has an equal say and every idea is counted, really builds the team.

Thank goodness I have an office lady helping me or we would be in serious trouble due to the quick growth, she is amazing and very well organized, as I mentioned before she is a single work at home mom, I gave her a gift certificate for a weekend at a spa for Mothers day, these little things go a long way, I think everyone is putting in 110%.

Make sure you keep lots of stakes for the sods in your vehicles, they are free here, staff generally go back after 5 +/- days to remove them or collect them from the home owner.

So in closing make sure you tell them you are a contractor, make your company sound big as that is their target market and push for a discount as you will get it.
I made an agreement today with a local sod farm. He deals in both rolls and the rectangles. Bermuda is $75.00 per pallot, Centipede is $95.00 a pallet. he delivers to job for a $100.00 flat fee up to 25 miles.If I sell "retail" he will give me 25%. He gives 5% for 10 pallets, 10% for 20 Pallets, and 15% for 30 or more pallets.

He is 12 miles from me. I went to the sod farm today and it was spotless. No weeds that I could see. Well kept fields.

I had him go to my website and showed up with both my trucks. Gave him a packet with my contractor's liceince and certificate of insurance.

Steve
__________________


Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 05-14-2009, 08:34 PM
picframer's Avatar
picframer picframer is offline
Andy
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia
Posts: 2,885
Rep Power: 9
picframer will become famous soon enough
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by swstout View Post
I made an agreement today with a local sod farm. He deals in both rolls and the rectangles. Bermuda is $75.00 per pallot, Centipede is $95.00 a pallet. he delivers to job for a $100.00 flat fee up to 25 miles.If I sell "retail" he will give me 25%. He gives 5% for 10 pallets, 10% for 20 Pallets, and 15% for 30 or more pallets.

He is 12 miles from me. I went to the sod farm today and it was spotless. No weeds that I could see. Well kept fields.

I had him go to my website and showed up with both my trucks. Gave him a packet with my contractor's liceince and certificate of insurance.

Steve
That is great news Steve!!!

Unless it is a very small job, I buy from the spot that delivers for $75.00 as this stuff is so heavy I just can't be bothered. They deliver on pallets then I put the fork lift attachment on the tractor and move the pallets around the property to save the staff back work.....well a bit I guess
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 05-14-2009, 10:40 PM
swstout's Avatar
swstout swstout is offline
Steve
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Canastota, NY
Age: 65
Posts: 1,082
Rep Power: 7
swstout is on a distinguished road
Default Steaks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by picframer View Post

Make sure you keep lots of stakes for the sods in your vehicles, they are free here, staff generally go back after 5 +/- days to remove them or collect them from the home owner.
I know I am showing my inexperience, I only have installed sod on my own home about 30 years ago, but what are steaks and how are they used. How will they make my jobs easier or have better results?

Steve
__________________


Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump

» Recent Threads
  RatingTitle, Username, & Date Last Post Replies Views
Hello! New here and...
CaliforniaFriendly
Today 11:30 AM
Today 05:39 PM
by jrs.landscaping
1 47
Exmark Lazer Z S-Series...
BLC7
08-22-2014 10:18 AM
Today 08:03 AM
by Greg'slawnandlandscape
8 253
Stihl engine isn't...
Marcintosh
08-12-2014 08:30 PM
Yesterday 09:28 PM
by Marcintosh
12 456
Hello
jawnebgoode
Yesterday 08:37 PM
Yesterday 08:37 PM
by jawnebgoode
0 28
Hello from Ohio
kurtwin
Yesterday 05:06 PM
Yesterday 05:06 PM
by kurtwin
0 41
Softball field
kslawn
08-15-2014 09:28 AM
Yesterday 12:01 PM
by Steve
16 549
Lawn needs top soil What...
jymie
08-26-2014 11:01 AM
Yesterday 11:58 AM
by Steve
5 160
Sod
RosalesLawnCare
08-27-2014 03:47 PM
Yesterday 11:55 AM
by Steve
1 83
Help pricing cut down 7...
Bradcook21
08-26-2014 11:17 PM
Yesterday 11:47 AM
by Steve
5 150
Walk Behinds and Texas...
SGL1
08-26-2014 03:53 PM
08-27-2014 10:38 PM
by SGL1
5 154
Say Hello !!!
Steve
03-19-2007 11:18 AM
08-27-2014 08:33 PM
by kurtwin
1,187 331,116
These are the days on...
ExtremeLawncareServices
03-22-2014 09:12 AM
08-26-2014 04:21 PM
by ExtremeLawncareServices
110 6,534
How do I approach...
Bradcook21
08-21-2014 01:48 AM
08-26-2014 05:08 AM
by Billy Goat
12 438
Tender Process
M2Dave
08-24-2014 12:31 PM
08-25-2014 04:14 PM
by Steve
2 142
Grass hopper mower
ExtremeLawncareServices
12-05-2013 08:51 AM
08-25-2014 04:02 PM
by Steve
26 3,785
Need help pricing basic...
Bradcook21
08-22-2014 01:21 AM
08-22-2014 01:05 PM
by Steve
2 223
Yearly contract Pricing
jrob0691
08-21-2014 08:57 AM
08-22-2014 01:01 PM
by Steve
6 292
yearly contract help...
jrob0691
08-21-2014 04:09 PM
08-22-2014 12:48 PM
by Steve
1 178
Pampas bushes
Bradcook21
08-22-2014 01:30 AM
08-22-2014 07:17 AM
by grassdoctore
1 156
2014 Gie-expo
ExtremeLawncareServices
08-19-2014 11:22 PM
08-21-2014 08:50 PM
by phlawncare
2 197
Fuel Can Spouts
Shark1611
08-16-2014 09:09 AM
08-21-2014 08:23 PM
by SGL1
11 432
Have you ever had to...
SouthernRootsLawnCare
07-26-2014 02:41 PM
08-21-2014 05:03 PM
by stevef1201
6 695
Hello
M2Dave
08-21-2014 12:32 AM
08-21-2014 01:38 PM
by Steve
1 157
New Landscaping Business
rekon32
08-16-2014 02:26 PM
08-21-2014 12:33 PM
by SouthallMowing
8 487
Downed Tree Chop Bid
WesleySnips
08-16-2014 03:47 PM
08-20-2014 01:44 PM
by SGL1
10 465
60 inch honda/bunton...
pblawncare
08-17-2014 11:30 AM
08-18-2014 03:19 PM
by Steve
2 214
Replacement Parts -...
nicholas-KC
08-16-2014 08:40 AM
08-18-2014 03:16 PM
by Steve
4 319
Preparing the soil
Billy Goat
08-16-2014 06:18 PM
08-18-2014 03:01 PM
by Steve
1 226
What to pay help
phlawncare
08-04-2014 08:33 PM
08-18-2014 10:33 AM
by jrs.landscaping
29 1,046
Hello
Jeff1
08-07-2014 11:18 PM
08-15-2014 11:53 PM
by Jeff1
11 527
Lie #2 RESIDENTIAL...
ExtremeLawncareServices
01-06-2014 05:02 AM
08-15-2014 01:46 PM
by mattthelawnguy
54 6,608
Need help 30 HP koler...
Shady Grady
08-01-2014 03:31 PM
08-15-2014 08:46 AM
by kslawn
18 702
New Boomless Sprayer!
BlackRain75
01-03-2014 01:01 PM
08-14-2014 02:37 AM
by BlackRain75
12 1,876
first year update
cmdlawncare
08-12-2014 05:41 PM
08-13-2014 03:29 PM
by Steve
1 325
Hello from Jacksonville,...
JM Lawn Care
08-10-2014 07:15 AM
08-13-2014 07:04 AM
by Sprinkler Buddy
9 433
Hello everyone new to...
maddyandrays
08-11-2014 04:51 PM
08-12-2014 08:58 PM
by Shark1611
2 273
Walk behinds
hpruitcei
08-07-2014 06:28 PM
08-12-2014 02:35 PM
by mattthelawnguy
7 538
New name help
stevef1201
08-10-2014 04:27 PM
08-12-2014 12:03 PM
by Steve
6 427
my little green dilemmas
Lawn Techie
08-03-2014 11:47 AM
08-11-2014 01:20 PM
by Steve
7 528
what the best...
CleanCutsLLC
08-02-2014 01:02 AM
08-11-2014 01:16 PM
by Steve
6 561
Texas lawn care company...
Livingston Lawn Care
07-25-2014 11:29 AM
08-11-2014 01:19 AM
by ExtremeLawncareServices
13 833
Covering all the bases
janslawncare
08-08-2014 10:11 AM
08-08-2014 01:41 PM
by Steve
1 372
New from Florida
ADE
08-06-2014 08:40 PM
08-08-2014 01:32 PM
by Steve
4 437
JOB - Landscape Install...
janslawncare
08-08-2014 10:06 AM
08-08-2014 10:06 AM
by janslawncare
0 325
Battery power tools or...
Steve
08-07-2014 12:24 PM
08-07-2014 05:18 PM
by mattthelawnguy
2 334
My client just told me...
Greg'slawnandlandscape
08-04-2014 08:39 AM
08-06-2014 11:14 PM
by grassdoctore
12 675
Illegal spraying
GoGreenerKS
07-04-2014 09:11 AM
08-06-2014 02:03 PM
by Steve
13 1,308
Mowing the hills
EyeCatchersNow
07-08-2014 12:22 PM
08-06-2014 01:40 PM
by Steve
20 1,539
Crop Rotation Techniques...
eastsidelandcare
07-17-2014 03:47 PM
08-06-2014 10:29 AM
by eastsidelandcare
5 716
Late charge
Simon Abousaada
07-30-2014 07:23 PM
08-05-2014 06:46 PM
by TheBeast
12 933
» Popular Tags
4wd 34'' apartment complex auger blades butterfly gardens charge christmas christmas light hanging credit card customers ditches exmark ferris financing first truck georgia gopherhaul grass gravely growing a lawn care business health holiday how much to charge john deere quik trac kansas city landscape services lawn lawn care lawn care busines plan lawn care business podcast lawn care business seo lawn care business show lawn care business website lawn care business website seo lawn care seo lawn care website lawn care website seo leaf marketing mechanic monthly mow mulch mulch price new and restored landscapes new buisness new business podcast property management company pto riding mower running a business savannah scag schedule seo snow plowing starting a business start up lawn care business stihl top dresser toro toro grand stand trailer tree care trimmer rack walker winter winter services
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.1.0

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:03 PM.


(C) 2011 Riggs Publications - Terms of use & Privacy Policy

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:03 PM.

(C) 2011 Riggs Publications - Terms of use & Privacy Policy