Lawn Care Business Forum Lawn Care Business Book Lawn Care Business Blog Lawn Care Software
Home Forum Contract & Flyer Templates Blog Software Videos Podcast Calculators / Estimators Store Mower Review Design It Yourself Lawn Business School

Go Back   GopherHaul Landscaping & Lawn Care Business Marketing Forum > Business > Franchise Building, Entrepreneurs, Business Leaders, & Innovators Discussions

Franchise Building, Entrepreneurs, Business Leaders, & Innovators Discussions Are you interested in starting your own lawn care franchise or are you interested in buying into one? Let's talk about different franchise opportunities and how to build your own franchise. Also we discuss different entrepreneurs who inspire us!

Walt Disney


Franchise Building, Entrepreneurs, Business Leaders, & Innovators Discussions

Are you interested in starting your own lawn care franchise or are you interested in buying into one? Let's talk about different franchise opportunities and how to build your own franchise. Also we discuss different entrepreneurs who inspire us!
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 04-17-2009, 07:32 PM
Steve's Avatar
Steve Steve is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 37,925
Rep Power: 10
Steve has disabled reputation
Default Walt Disney

I am reading a book that references a quote from Walt Disney.

The quote is "I don't make pictures to just make money. I make money to make more pictures."

What do you think of that quote?

Is that something we should all strive for?

Should we strive to do what we do not just to make money but to be able to do more of what we do?
__________________
- Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.
Reply With Quote

Stop guess-timating. Learn how to estimate and make money! $$$
Mow Time Estimator Lawn Care Price Estimator Mulch and Topsoil Calculator Snow Plow Estimate Calculator


  #2  
Old 04-17-2009, 08:00 PM
musician/lawnman musician/lawnman is offline
Chuck
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: South West Florida
Posts: 919
Rep Power: 0
musician/lawnman is on a distinguished road
Default

Lawn care business tipsLawn Care Business Book
I would say, No matter how you try to pull that off.... In our industry, If you said to a customer "I don;t mow lawns just to make money, I make money so I can mow more lawns...." They just aren't going to buy that. Let's face it, alot of us like yard work & maybe even really enjoyed it when it was just our lawn at home. But there are few if any that just whole heartedly LOVE going out & mowing 15-20+ lawns a day, then dealing with maintenence, then paperwork, then bed..... repeat....
I do enjoy my work, but It's not like I'm a surgeon that I could say "I just love helping people!" or even as a musician I could maybe say "I do it for love of the music" Nobody can realistically say "I mow lawns for love of the grass" & sound believable.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-17-2009, 08:05 PM
swstout's Avatar
swstout swstout is offline
Steve
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Canastota, NY
Age: 67
Posts: 1,082
Rep Power: 9
swstout is on a distinguished road
Default Money

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
I am reading a book that references a quote from Walt Disney.

The quote is "I don't make pictures to just make money. I make money to make more pictures."

What do you think of that quote?

Is that something we should all strive for?

Should we strive to do what we do not just to make money but to be able to do more of what we do?
Good question!

My Grandmother, who died at age 101, was quite the philosopher - always saying exactly what was on her mind! At her 50th wedding anniversary, we were talking about - what ekse - money. She said "Moner isn't everything, but it's way of whatever is in second place".

Thinking back on her life (prompted by this post) she led an impoverished life. A dairy farmer who had 18 children. To say the least, money was tight, the work was hard, her life was hard. But, year after year they kept at it. Even after her husband died she kept the farm (chickens only at this point) when the property was in high demand. She didn't have to do it but she did, always wanting more for the farm.

I think, even though money is important (ahead of whatever is in 2nd place), it's the challenge that drives us.

After thought, while at the same anniversary, she was asked how she could possiably have 18 children by a local TV reporter. While on LIVE TV for the news, she said "Well, the G*D D**n Train went through at 4:15 every morning. It was too early to get up and too late to go back to sleep"!

Steve


__________________


Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-17-2009, 08:14 PM
Steve's Avatar
Steve Steve is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 37,925
Rep Power: 10
Steve has disabled reputation
Default

Quote:
I would say, No matter how you try to pull that off.... In our industry, If you said to a customer "I don;t mow lawns just to make money, I make money so I can mow more lawns...." They just aren't going to buy that. Let's face it, alot of us like yard work & maybe even really enjoyed it when it was just our lawn at home. But there are few if any that just whole heartedly LOVE going out & mowing 15-20+ lawns a day, then dealing with maintenence, then paperwork, then bed..... repeat....
I do enjoy my work, but It's not like I'm a surgeon that I could say "I just love helping people!" or even as a musician I could maybe say "I do it for love of the music" Nobody can realistically say "I mow lawns for love of the grass" & sound believable.
Do you think we should all strive to do that thing where we feel the way Walt felt or no?

Quote:
Nobody can realistically say "I mow lawns for love of the grass" & sound believable.
Could someone say it about landscaping? Would that be possible?

What would you say would make it on your top 5 list of things that you could say this about?


Quote:
She said "Moner isn't everything, but it's way of whatever is in second place".
I'm not sure but did you mean "Money isn't everything, but it's way ahead of whatever is in second place?"

That is a very fascinating view and that was a great story about what she said to the tv reporter LOL good for her!
__________________
- Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-17-2009, 08:36 PM
swstout's Avatar
swstout swstout is offline
Steve
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Canastota, NY
Age: 67
Posts: 1,082
Rep Power: 9
swstout is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Do you think we should all strive to do that thing where we feel the way Walt felt or no?

I think it's human nature to do so!

Could someone say it about landscaping? Would that be possible?

What would you say would make it on your top 5 list of things that you could say this about?

Is it emotions or feelings? Feelings you can talk about, emotions rule your life. What you do or don't do is ruled by your emotions. Feelings are the talk, emotions are the walk!

Your drive is internal, you either have it or you don't.

I'm not sure but did you mean "Money isn't everything, but it's way ahead of whatever is in second place?"

Yes, money (first day with my new fingers)

That is a very fascinating view and that was a great story about what she said to the tv reporter LOL good for her!
It won't let me send because I answered above. Maybe this will let it go through.
__________________


Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-17-2009, 10:47 PM
musician/lawnman musician/lawnman is offline
Chuck
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: South West Florida
Posts: 919
Rep Power: 0
musician/lawnman is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by swstout View Post
she was asked how she could possiably have 18 children by a local TV reporter. While on LIVE TV for the news, she said "Well, the G*D D-n Train went through at 4:15 every morning. It was too early to get up and too late to go back to sleep"!
That is funny as hell.

Steve,
I'm not saying everyone should drop all else & chase dreams throwing reason & responsibility out the window, so no I'm not advising anyone to change careers. I just mean the comment would be likely to come off canned & fake that's all.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-17-2009, 11:08 PM
Steve's Avatar
Steve Steve is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 37,925
Rep Power: 10
Steve has disabled reputation
Default

Quote:
I just mean the comment would be likely to come off canned & fake that's all.
I can understand that.

I just wonder if we all have things we would love to do like that. Or maybe we don't. Maybe we don't aspire for that or even dream for that to happen. In what ever choice we make.
__________________
- Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-17-2009, 11:13 PM
swstout's Avatar
swstout swstout is offline
Steve
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Canastota, NY
Age: 67
Posts: 1,082
Rep Power: 9
swstout is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by musician/lawnman View Post
That is funny as hell.

Steve,
I'm not saying everyone should drop all else & chase dreams throwing reason & responsibility out the window, so no I'm not advising anyone to change careers. I just mean the comment would be likely to come off canned & fake that's all.
Oh I agree whole heartedly. Not only would it come off canned and fake, it makes it look like you are trying to convince yourself.

It's man's nature to advance, to improve. If you love your intensions more than your job, you're on the right track with your profession!

Steve
__________________


Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump

» Recent Threads
  RatingTitle, Username, & Date Last Post Replies Views
Having an issue with...
Mr. Mow
04-27-2016 03:58 PM
04-28-2016 05:04 AM
by Sprinkler Buddy
2 81
Hello From Virginia
JJand M Lawncare
04-25-2016 01:02 PM
04-27-2016 05:20 PM
by Steve
5 110
Hello from Calgary
Freshcut
04-22-2016 06:10 PM
04-25-2016 05:46 PM
by Freshcut
2 102
knowledge is Key
Greg'slawnandlandscape
04-23-2016 02:23 AM
04-25-2016 02:40 PM
by Steve
2 103
Echo Bed Redefiner...
NPM_LLC
04-12-2016 10:54 AM
04-22-2016 06:15 PM
by Freshcut
4 300
Has anyone done a garden?
Brian3137
03-28-2016 10:42 AM
04-22-2016 04:42 PM
by biglee
13 9,725
What would you charge?
markty
04-18-2016 03:28 PM
04-22-2016 09:01 AM
by chris2500hd
6 258
Replaced Mower Engine
Sprinkler Buddy
04-15-2016 06:21 AM
04-19-2016 11:03 AM
by Sprinkler Buddy
6 243
Hello from Oklahoma
Ron Hall
03-24-2016 06:59 PM
04-16-2016 03:51 AM
by Ron Hall
9 9,449
Laying down some stripes
MATTNAPIER89
04-11-2016 09:55 PM
04-14-2016 11:55 PM
by Steve
3 318
Find out what business...
MATTNAPIER89
04-11-2016 09:58 PM
04-13-2016 12:32 PM
by MATTNAPIER89
2 273
Hello my name is Matt
MATTNAPIER89
04-11-2016 09:46 PM
04-13-2016 12:58 AM
by Steve
1 223
How to drop some...
nickeckes
04-11-2016 01:07 AM
04-12-2016 05:22 PM
by Steve
4 304
Trash Receptacle for a...
tannerduncan
04-12-2016 05:02 PM
04-12-2016 05:19 PM
by Steve
1 203
Small Project Lawn
tannerduncan
03-31-2016 08:21 PM
04-12-2016 05:16 PM
by Steve
7 9,331
Please Help! Bidding...
Dorali
02-15-2016 12:02 PM
04-06-2016 01:08 AM
by Steve
36 12,995
Hello
pbcleff
04-05-2016 07:45 PM
04-06-2016 12:35 AM
by Steve
1 396
Hello
llewelwa
03-18-2016 12:47 AM
04-05-2016 12:14 AM
by Steve
3 9,315
Poop and Scooping
llewelwa
04-01-2016 05:48 PM
04-05-2016 12:08 AM
by Steve
1 9,108
help with sole...
greenbuds
03-24-2016 12:21 PM
04-04-2016 05:33 PM
by WarriorLandscapingCAN
2 9,269
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.1.0

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:33 AM.


(C) 2011 Riggs Publications - Terms of use & Privacy Policy

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:33 AM.

(C) 2011 Riggs Publications - Terms of use & Privacy Policy