Lawn Care Business Forum Lawn Care Business Book Lawn Care Business Blog Lawn Care Software
Home Forum Contract & Flyer Templates Blog Software Videos Podcast Calculators / Estimators Store Mower Review Design It Yourself Lawn Business School

Go Back   GopherHaul Landscaping & Lawn Care Business Marketing Forum > Business > General Business Discussions

General Business Discussions A place to talk about general business discussions.

What is the farthest you have drove for one customer?


General Business Discussions

A place to talk about general business discussions.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 01-25-2009, 12:18 PM
mruiz
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default What is the farthest you have drove for one customer?

What is the farthest you have driven out of your local route for one customer?
I have a customer that would also like for me to take care of her mother lawn. Her mother's property is about 20min. off my route. The property would take me about 45min to mow. Also there is potential to pick up customers in neighboring developments.

Last edited by mruiz; 01-25-2009 at 12:20 PM.
Reply With Quote

Stop guess-timating. Learn how to estimate and make money! $$$
Mow Time Estimator Lawn Care Price Estimator Mulch and Topsoil Calculator Snow Plow Estimate Calculator


  #2  
Old 01-25-2009, 07:40 PM
CloseCuts CloseCuts is offline
Hoss
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Milford, DE
Posts: 147
Rep Power: 8
CloseCuts
Default

Lawn care business tipsLawn Care Business Book
If i were to go that far I would charge a little more because its only her. Just let her know that sh'e the only one in this area. If she could get a few people to join up you wouldn't have to charge so much. Also you could do some flyers in those local areas around her.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-25-2009, 09:45 PM
musician/lawnman musician/lawnman is offline
Chuck
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: South West Florida
Posts: 919
Rep Power: 0
musician/lawnman is on a distinguished road
Default

Ehhhh, Depends on how bad you NEED the business man. Think about it. You could flyer there & pick up a few more, but you could do the same in your back yard & pick up a few more close to home. Even if you get 10-15 properties out there, it's always gonna be out of the way. Then what if you get a call from a potential client 5 miles further out than them? Do you go since your almost there anyway? At some point you should draw a line in the sand & say THIS IS AS FAR AS I GO. A one time landscape job might be different but for a trip you'll be making weekly.... drive time kills lco's daily.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-25-2009, 11:35 PM
Steve's Avatar
Steve Steve is online now
Administrator
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 37,246
Rep Power: 10
Steve has disabled reputation
Default

Quote:
Depends on how bad you NEED the business man. Think about it. You could flyer there & pick up a few more, but you could do the same in your back yard & pick up a few more close to home.
This is really well put.

Survival is survival. If you need the extra work, then do it. But I think this point really brings up what your competitive advantage is and part of what it should be is you service a specific service area that allows you to keep your prices within a competitive range. The further you go out the more you have to charge to cover your costs.

If you focus within your immediate area, you can build up the illusion of your image more. You can appear to be all over town all day long and people will think your company is bigger than it may be. The more times they see you out and about, the more impressions you will make upon them. At a certain point you will reach that magical number where you could potentially hit the top of mind awareness point and people will call you first when they need lawn care.
__________________
- Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-26-2009, 06:17 AM
grounded
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Refferals are a sure lock

You can charge more for that customer and hopefully get it! on the other hand, mom could locate a local guy that also services the same area as the the original account and possibly loose both. The fact that you were referred hopefully means you made an impression on the client. If the referral is based on your lower price per square foot marketing than only you can figure your cost's and decide.

Scope the referral area and check income levels between point A and B. You might find an over priced market by a competitor that's prime for you to step in and handle.

Good luck!

Tom
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-26-2009, 04:53 PM
mruiz
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloseCuts View Post
If i were to go that far I would charge a little more because its only her. Just let her know that sh'e the only one in this area. If she could get a few people to join up you wouldn't have to charge so much. Also you could do some flyers in those local areas around her.

Closecut, funny that you said this cause when I called the woman, I let her know it was out of my area. But I will see if I can pick up a customer here and there to justify my travel time
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-26-2009, 04:55 PM
mruiz
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by musician/lawnman View Post
Ehhhh, Depends on how bad you NEED the business man. Think about it. You could flyer there & pick up a few more, but you could do the same in your back yard & pick up a few more close to home. Even if you get 10-15 properties out there, it's always gonna be out of the way. Then what if you get a call from a potential client 5 miles further out than them? Do you go since your almost there anyway? At some point you should draw a line in the sand & say THIS IS AS FAR AS I GO. A one time landscape job might be different but for a trip you'll be making weekly.... drive time kills lco's daily.
We all need the business if not we won’t be on here trying to find ways in marketing. Websites, flyer and etc… But I totally agree with (its’ always out of the way) well put.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-26-2009, 05:00 PM
ritchiem
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Our drive time radius was 30mins...if we cannot get from out home base to the customers home within 30mins then we cannot do the job. I found that with people that are out of the way I always was able to pick up more clients along the route. And I always charge a premium for distance. Fridays were my most profitable day and I drove the most on that day too.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-26-2009, 05:00 PM
mruiz
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
This is really well put.

Survival is survival. If you need the extra work, then do it. But I think this point really brings up what your competitive advantage is and part of what it should be is you service a specific service area that allows you to keep your prices within a competitive range. The further you go out the more you have to charge to cover your costs.

If you focus within your immediate area, you can build up the illusion of your image more. You can appear to be all over town all day long and people will think your company is bigger than it may be. The more times they see you out and about, the more impressions you will make upon them. At a certain point you will reach that magical number where you could potentially hit the top of mind awareness point and people will call you first when they need lawn care.
Steve, If I could drive out of my driveway with my Ztr and setup it up to carry my blower and line trimmer ( I’m working on this ) and service all my customers I would be in heaven. My radius right now is about 3 mile for mowing.
But you make sense, in staying close by and making your imagine bigger.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-26-2009, 05:06 PM
mruiz
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by grounded View Post
You can charge more for that customer and hopefully get it! on the other hand, mom could locate a local guy that also services the same area as the the original account and possibly loose both. The fact that you were referred hopefully means you made an impression on the client. If the referral is based on your lower price per square foot marketing than only you can figure your cost's and decide.

Scope the referral area and check income levels between point A and B. You might find an over priced market by a competitor that's prime for you to step in and handle.

Good luck!

Tom
Tom, You have brought up some views that I didnt think about.

Thanks to everyone for some great ideas!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
lawn care customers, lawn care route

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
bad customer quickcleanlawn General Business Discussions 2 07-31-2008 10:06 PM
More Customer gman Show Off - Picture Post - Photo Gallery 3 07-31-2006 08:23 PM
2 PO # same customer Gopher Software Support Archived Question & Answers - Read Only 1 03-28-2005 05:32 PM
CUSTOMER BOX DENISE HENRY Community Assistance 1 05-06-2004 12:48 PM
Customer F.A.Q.'s Steve Gopher Software Support Archived Question & Answers - Read Only 0 02-23-2004 10:34 AM

» Recent Threads
  RatingTitle, Username, & Date Last Post Replies Views
New company in Michigan
SEM
04-24-2015 09:27 PM
Yesterday 11:42 PM
by SEM
2 54
Total yard rehab
SGL1
04-23-2015 03:59 PM
Yesterday 08:25 PM
by SGL1
7 143
mowing pic
joshlawncare
Yesterday 12:34 PM
Yesterday 08:09 PM
by avetslawncare
1 51
Big (to me) mulch job
tl757
04-23-2015 05:32 PM
Yesterday 08:01 PM
by avetslawncare
7 163
what's the big deal...
Tony317
Yesterday 02:19 PM
Yesterday 02:19 PM
by Tony317
0 38
Lawn Care Service in...
Friscobob
04-24-2015 03:33 PM
Yesterday 05:35 AM
by Sprinkler Buddy
2 79
Newb Question - Multiple...
DependiLawn
04-24-2015 11:36 PM
04-24-2015 11:36 PM
by DependiLawn
0 41
maintandlawndispatch...
SGL1
04-21-2015 03:31 PM
04-24-2015 04:42 PM
by Steve
9 214
Thoughts on Undocumented...
element009
09-25-2011 11:08 AM
04-23-2015 09:32 PM
by Chilehead
56 15,509
Hello Everyone
DesignsByBnC
04-22-2015 04:07 PM
04-23-2015 02:19 PM
by DesignsByBnC
2 93
The upcoming rainy...
5StarLawnscaping
04-21-2015 01:22 PM
04-23-2015 12:54 PM
by Steve
7 192
color fliers?
holymoly
04-18-2015 02:32 PM
04-23-2015 12:50 PM
by Steve
12 358
I'm Back With The Best...
aduttonater
02-21-2015 12:41 AM
04-22-2015 07:04 PM
by Just for Cuts
59 2,529
WARNING! Especially to...
SC93
04-19-2015 12:05 PM
04-22-2015 01:39 PM
by Steve
14 420
Could be great news for...
SC93
04-14-2015 11:06 PM
04-22-2015 01:28 PM
by Steve
15 510
quick pic
joshlawncare
04-14-2015 07:49 PM
04-21-2015 05:01 PM
by joshlawncare
4 334
Got Inspected today
swstout
08-09-2010 10:31 PM
04-21-2015 03:53 PM
by SGL1
10 3,993
Smoked my first belt!
SGL1
04-20-2015 08:46 PM
04-21-2015 03:28 PM
by SGL1
4 162
Pictures of commercial...
avetslawncare
04-01-2015 09:47 PM
04-21-2015 12:47 PM
by Steve
25 1,015
lawn care business...
holymoly
04-18-2015 02:56 PM
04-21-2015 06:18 AM
by holymoly
3 256
These are the days on...
ExtremeLawncareServices
01-11-2015 10:41 AM
04-21-2015 03:18 AM
by ExtremeLawncareServices
57 5,252
landscape insurance
clarkslawn
03-30-2015 10:14 PM
04-20-2015 10:02 PM
by SGL1
4 472
Poll & Discussion...
CHEESE2009
09-16-2011 06:16 PM
04-20-2015 08:20 PM
by avetslawncare
27 5,672
weed
avetslawncare
04-16-2015 07:56 PM
04-20-2015 01:08 PM
by Steve
4 265
Aerating / Dethaching...
Hard-Body lawn & garden
04-12-2015 07:53 PM
04-19-2015 08:49 PM
by Chilehead
17 601
Start LIKING FACEBOOK...
rlclawncare123
02-26-2015 12:06 AM
04-19-2015 09:21 AM
by KJ90
8 1,014
bidding a cemetery....
NPM_LLC
03-28-2015 10:56 AM
04-19-2015 05:26 AM
by RSE
22 1,020
Hustler Raptor
SGL1
04-13-2015 09:27 PM
04-18-2015 07:53 AM
by SGL1
15 523
is craiglist good to...
JBENI
04-16-2015 11:11 AM
04-17-2015 10:25 PM
by Wolf4dk
11 419
Am I missing something...
googus
04-11-2015 06:33 PM
04-17-2015 08:01 PM
by avetslawncare
10 546
Hello
sonny54
04-16-2015 09:49 PM
04-17-2015 03:10 PM
by Steve
1 204
Unreal
Chilehead
04-09-2015 09:12 PM
04-17-2015 08:27 AM
by Chilehead
11 570
starting a lawn care...
JBENI
04-14-2015 09:03 AM
04-17-2015 08:03 AM
by JBENI
14 552
Finally got a warehouse
avetslawncare
03-12-2015 07:52 PM
04-16-2015 07:52 PM
by avetslawncare
23 1,373
New 14 x 7 Enclosed...
whitepropertydetail
04-15-2015 06:46 PM
04-16-2015 03:40 PM
by Steve
1 259
older used dump trucks
SECTLANDSCAPING
09-22-2011 12:33 AM
04-16-2015 12:41 PM
by biglee
21 8,058
Tax Poll
Steve
04-15-2015 02:13 PM
04-15-2015 02:13 PM
by Steve
0 242
lawn care by Aj
aj10261984
04-14-2015 06:50 PM
04-15-2015 01:43 PM
by Steve
2 276
Contact last years...
googus
01-28-2015 08:13 AM
04-15-2015 12:54 PM
by SC93
7 1,273
trying to sign up for...
JBENI
04-14-2015 10:20 AM
04-14-2015 12:11 PM
by Steve
1 754
Charging customers for...
Hard-Body lawn & garden
04-14-2015 07:34 AM
04-14-2015 10:35 AM
by Steve
1 313
New member
Jdlandscaping,LLC
04-11-2015 03:24 PM
04-14-2015 05:45 AM
by Jdlandscaping,LLC
2 334
hello
oasis_greenscapes
04-01-2015 06:18 PM
04-13-2015 12:03 PM
by Steve
8 574
New Member
Greenturion
04-11-2015 02:00 PM
04-13-2015 11:59 AM
by Steve
1 297
Client with...
OldSalt
04-07-2015 09:47 PM
04-13-2015 11:57 AM
by Steve
8 526
Getting rid of "mulched...
Mr. Mow
04-12-2015 04:21 PM
04-13-2015 11:26 AM
by biglee
3 336
String trim BEFORE mow...
Mr. Mow
04-12-2015 08:13 AM
04-13-2015 11:11 AM
by biglee
7 449
Billing methods
jcurr33
03-26-2015 01:33 PM
04-13-2015 11:07 AM
by biglee
15 955
Landscape Fabric
CurbAppeal1
04-10-2015 03:58 PM
04-13-2015 08:02 AM
by Chilehead
4 379
I lost a long term...
Sprinkler Buddy
09-04-2011 02:24 PM
04-12-2015 04:27 PM
by Mr. Mow
17 4,021
» Popular Tags
ad landscaping aerocore apartment bid apartment lawn care estimate applying auger blowout bob villa bush commercial contract help curb appeal services deliquentaccounts demonstration design ditches door hangers employee problems estimate facebook google growing a lawn care business hardscapes how to hydraulic jobs john deere quik trac landscape landscape services lawn lawn aeration lawn care lawn care busines plan lawn care business seo lawn care business website lawn care business website seo lawn care website lawn care website seo lawn mowing managing a lawn care business marketing marketing secrets more customers business mulch new mower ordinance patio install per hour service profit on employee scag v-ride scripts search engine optimization seo shreaded snow plowing sq ft starting a lawn care business steep lawns theft toro tractor auger trailer mate pro truck new used landscape up sell employee web design website won't return wood wright stander rh www.greenturion.co.za
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.1.0

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:16 AM.


(C) 2011 Riggs Publications - Terms of use & Privacy Policy

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:16 AM.

(C) 2011 Riggs Publications - Terms of use & Privacy Policy