Lawn Care Business Forum Lawn Care Business Book Lawn Care Business Blog Lawn Care Software
Home Forum Contract & Flyer Templates Blog Software Videos Podcast Calculators / Estimators Store Mower Review Design It Yourself Lawn Business School

Go Back   GopherHaul Landscaping & Lawn Care Business Marketing Forum > Business > General Business Discussions

General Business Discussions A place to talk about general business discussions.

Customer leads for sale..how much?


General Business Discussions

A place to talk about general business discussions.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 12-24-2008, 04:02 PM
backinblack
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Question Customer leads for sale..how much?

I have been in business going on now almost 8 years and I am looking to sell off all of my customers as leads to a local competitor. Most of the customers have been around for 5+ years and are good solid customers.

How can I figure out how much all of the leads are worth? Also how can I figure out how much each individual customer is worth?
Reply With Quote

Stop guess-timating. Learn how to estimate and make money! $$$
Mow Time Estimator Lawn Care Price Estimator Mulch and Topsoil Calculator Snow Plow Estimate Calculator


  #2  
Old 12-24-2008, 04:51 PM
EasyPro's Avatar
EasyPro EasyPro is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 167
Rep Power: 8
EasyPro is on a distinguished road
Default

Lawn care business tipsLawn Care Business Book
Quote:
Originally Posted by backinblack View Post
I have been in business going on now almost 8 years and I am looking to sell off all of my customers as leads to a local competitor. Most of the customers have been around for 5+ years and are good solid customers.

How can I figure out how much all of the leads are worth? Also how can I figure out how much each individual customer is worth?
I would give you 30% to 35% of the gross for the year
__________________
DJ Carroll
EasyPro Property Services
502-525-3279
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-24-2008, 05:31 PM
backinblack
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

That is around what I was thinking too, but I have been asking other business leaders and owners, and they say anywhere from 1x to 3x your yearly gross. That just seems like a lot of money with no guarantee that the customer will stick around.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-24-2008, 06:58 PM
EasyPro's Avatar
EasyPro EasyPro is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 167
Rep Power: 8
EasyPro is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by backinblack View Post
That is around what I was thinking too, but I have been asking other business leaders and owners, and they say anywhere from 1x to 3x your yearly gross. That just seems like a lot of money with no guarantee that the customer will stick around.
That is is for a business you are just selling customers . . .the basic formula is 3x a business' net profit
__________________
DJ Carroll
EasyPro Property Services
502-525-3279
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-26-2008, 02:08 PM
Steve's Avatar
Steve Steve is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 37,948
Rep Power: 10
Steve has disabled reputation
Default

Quote:
I have been in business going on now almost 8 years and I am looking to see off all of my customers as leads to a local competitor. Most of the customers have been around for 5+ years and are good solid customers.
This is interesting. Why are you selling them off as leads? Why not sell them off as customers? Have that new lawn care business owner work with you on the properties for a specific period of time and then introduce him to your customers. I bet most would stay.

Is this what you are planning on doing or are you just looking to sell your customer list and have him take it from there?
__________________
- Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-27-2008, 01:28 AM
backinblack
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
This is interesting. Why are you selling them off as leads? Why not sell them off as customers? Have that new lawn care business owner work with you on the properties for a specific period of time and then introduce him to your customers. I bet most would stay.

Is this what you are planning on doing or are you just looking to sell your customer list and have him take it from there?
Well, this is the situation. I have had a guy help me out here and there the last year with some of the accounts, subbing them out to him. But he doesn't do the quality of work that I expect, just the price. He is the only one with a flexible schedule and offers me a descent price.

So I plan on using him again this year while I am finishing everything up and the contracts expire in December 2009 even though I can personally get out of the contract, the customer can not. I am in a sense just using the guy to finish up the year for I can spend time doing other stuff. But in the mean time, I do not want to give him the accounts and I know he can not afford buying them off from me. If I had an option, I would sell the accounts before the start of the season even began to a larger local competitor that I know has the money for the accounts.

How you explain it though is that I can not really sell them as customers, because I can not sell the contracts or I should say "I won't sell the contracts" to him. I can only sell the possibility that they will stick around as customers to someone. There is no definite.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-27-2008, 07:24 AM
Steve's Avatar
Steve Steve is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 37,948
Rep Power: 10
Steve has disabled reputation
Default

Quote:
Well, this is the situation. I have had a guy help me out here and there the last year with some of the accounts, subbing them out to him. But he doesn't do the quality of work that I expect, just the price. He is the only one with a flexible schedule and offers me a descent price.

So I plan on using him again this year while I am finishing everything up and the contracts expire in December 2009 even though I can personally get out of the contract, the customer can not. I am in a sense just using the guy to finish up the year for I can spend time doing other stuff. But in the mean time, I do not want to give him the accounts and I know he can not afford buying them off from me. If I had an option, I would sell the accounts before the start of the season even began to a larger local competitor that I know has the money for the accounts.

How you explain it though is that I can not really sell them as customers, because I can not sell the contracts or I should say "I won't sell the contracts" to him. I can only sell the possibility that they will stick around as customers to someone. There is no definite.
Have you considered trying to advertise that you have your accounts for sale and see if anyone else can come in and buy them out right from you? What's your view on that, would that just be better to sell everything?
__________________
- Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-27-2008, 09:38 AM
musician/lawnman musician/lawnman is offline
Chuck
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: South West Florida
Posts: 919
Rep Power: 0
musician/lawnman is on a distinguished road
Default

Yeah I'm with Steve on this one, Find someone else to sell the accounts to. If you don't have the time to dedicate to you customers anymore you owe it to them to find a way to get their service to continue at the same or higher quality that YOU'VE been providing. Don't send a 2 bit shlep there just because he's cheap. That's crap. If his work isn't up to your standards then it isn't up to theirs either, but as far as their concerned he now works for you you & it's you doing the lousy job. Sell them off. To buy contracted accounts with a year to go I would sy you should be able to get a month or maybe 2 worth of gross from them. ($100/month account ... $100 sale price) That's a typical account sale. Think about it, How many months will he have to service that account to PROFIT his $100 back? Then he obviously want's to make some money on the deal right? So 1 months gross is fair. More than that & it's not really worth it to the buyer.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12-27-2008, 10:23 AM
Steve's Avatar
Steve Steve is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 37,948
Rep Power: 10
Steve has disabled reputation
Default

Chuck what suggestions would you have if a lawn care business owner wanted to sell his accounts and business?

Should he sell it as a package deal or separate it? Where should he advertise?
__________________
- Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 12-27-2008, 08:43 PM
backinblack
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Have you considered trying to advertise that you have your accounts for sale and see if anyone else can come in and buy them out right from you? What's your view on that, would that just be better to sell everything?

I thought about advertising the accounts, but then again I am kind of scared that some of the local competition then may try to screw me over, or that my customers may find out that I am trying to sell out and get really mad about the situation
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Walk behind for sale TnT Outdoor ervices Truck, Trailer, and Outdoor Power Equipment Discussion, Repairs. 29 04-29-2008 04:54 AM
does anyone know if you can buy landscaping leads? cwr52506 General Business Discussions 4 08-23-2007 04:49 PM
For Sale AMW Graphics Truck, Trailer, and Outdoor Power Equipment Discussion, Repairs. 4 08-16-2007 10:20 AM
Cash Reward leads to stolen equipment Steve Truck, Trailer, and Outdoor Power Equipment Discussion, Repairs. 0 04-05-2007 09:52 PM
Tracking leads? Steve General Business Discussions 7 04-07-2006 08:34 PM

» Recent Threads
  RatingTitle, Username, & Date Last Post Replies Views
To mow weekly or Biweekly
WarriorLandscapingCAN
05-11-2016 04:09 PM
Yesterday 04:45 PM
by lawngawd7
9 297
Help a Brother Out -...
Hedgemaster
01-23-2012 04:19 PM
Yesterday 04:34 PM
by Crossett73
91 33,676
Hello from Alabama
pruzilla
05-25-2016 01:20 PM
Yesterday 08:14 AM
by pruzilla
2 48
Hello from Centreville!
Daveylawns
05-23-2016 09:04 AM
05-24-2016 04:08 PM
by Steve
1 67
Laying new grass, Sod...
WarriorLandscapingCAN
05-23-2016 10:07 AM
05-23-2016 08:41 PM
by Steve
1 53
I need some aeration...
rootytalbot
08-14-2015 12:32 PM
05-23-2016 09:06 AM
by Daveylawns
10 3,767
Prolin
rmccutchan
05-21-2016 04:53 PM
05-21-2016 06:36 PM
by rmccutchan
2 72
Upgraded to a new mower
Stevenor92
05-17-2016 08:17 PM
05-20-2016 07:08 PM
by Stevenor92
8 199
Intro
LaraRahmani
05-18-2016 02:54 PM
05-19-2016 02:43 PM
by Steve
2 107
Best Push Mower You Have...
markty
05-14-2016 03:46 PM
05-18-2016 07:34 PM
by Stevenor92
4 178
New mower!!!!
Stevenor92
05-18-2016 03:46 AM
05-18-2016 06:39 PM
by Stevenor92
2 112
Say Hello !!!
Steve
03-19-2007 11:18 AM
05-18-2016 02:59 PM
by LaraRahmani
1,249 434,757
Stupid idea?
hopolb33
05-13-2016 11:25 AM
05-16-2016 11:22 AM
by Steve
1 152
Planting SKYBOUND CEDARS
FrankieeLawnz
05-13-2016 03:59 PM
05-16-2016 11:21 AM
by Steve
1 138
Edging Fad...
Tree geek
05-10-2016 11:29 PM
05-15-2016 11:12 PM
by Tree geek
2 183
Business Overload
Chilehead
05-06-2016 09:27 PM
05-13-2016 11:15 AM
by Steve
11 381
Hello from great state...
Cel1980
05-11-2016 09:00 AM
05-13-2016 11:07 AM
by Steve
2 154
Did this job free to...
JJand M Lawncare
05-02-2016 02:33 PM
05-11-2016 03:54 PM
by JJand M Lawncare
10 420
How to tell Cust. to...
GeeGood
04-09-2008 09:55 PM
05-09-2016 07:08 PM
by JJand M Lawncare
16 5,512
Echo SRM 230 trouble.
Jack Rabbit
05-08-2016 06:16 PM
05-08-2016 11:22 PM
by Just for Cuts
1 150
Toro ZTR Issues
rsanchez1203
05-06-2016 09:27 PM
05-07-2016 10:26 AM
by Steve
2 171
Correct way to quote a...
WarriorLandscapingCAN
05-02-2016 11:52 AM
05-03-2016 10:59 AM
by Steve
1 287
Having an issue with...
Mr. Mow
04-27-2016 03:58 PM
04-28-2016 05:04 AM
by Sprinkler Buddy
2 292
Hello From Virginia
JJand M Lawncare
04-25-2016 01:02 PM
04-27-2016 05:20 PM
by Steve
5 330
» Popular Tags
advertising become an entrepreneur best mower be your own boss break business education business help business management contractor hacks deck lift dethatcher edging entrepreneur entrepreneur education estimates free lawn care fuel problems fuel pump half moon blade hydro increase customers jjandm lawncare landscape landscape design landscaping landscaping design company landscaping richmond va landscping lawncare lawn mowing lawnservice lowering grade marketing mulch new business planting plowing raising grade residential lawn care richmond va richmond virginia lawn care roundup safety scag snowblower snow plowing snow shovel solo solo backpack sprayer start a business start a lawn care business start business start up swzt toro timecutter tree tree pics tree service video walk behind what to charge work from home
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.1.0

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:31 AM.


(C) 2011 Riggs Publications - Terms of use & Privacy Policy

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:31 AM.

(C) 2011 Riggs Publications - Terms of use & Privacy Policy