Lawn Care Business Forum Lawn Care Business Book Lawn Care Business Blog Lawn Care Software
Home Forum Contract & Flyer Templates Blog Software Videos Podcast Calculators / Estimators Store Mower Review Design It Yourself Lawn Business School

Go Back   GopherHaul Landscaping & Lawn Care Business Marketing Forum > Lawn Care, Landscaping, and Property Management Forums > General Talk

General Talk If it doesn't fit anywhere else, post it here.

when should I start?


General Talk

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, post it here.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 12-14-2008, 09:47 PM
rlcs08's Avatar
rlcs08 rlcs08 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: CIncinnati
Age: 25
Posts: 13
Rep Power: 7
rlcs08 is on a distinguished road
Default when should I start?

When is the best time of year to start promoting your business for mowing? I dont want to give my cards out to early b/c potential customers might just toss them away thinking "its way to early to think about cutting my grass". On the flip side, I dont want to start too late and loose customers b/c other businesses have already gotten to them.
Any advice would be greatly appriciated!
__________________
I go by Hot Rod, its been my nick name since I was born.
'98 F150 4x4 (for sale)
'34 Ford Truck Hot Rod
'95 Sportster
Reply With Quote

Stop guess-timating. Learn how to estimate and make money! $$$
Mow Time Estimator Lawn Care Price Estimator Mulch and Topsoil Calculator Snow Plow Estimate Calculator


  #2  
Old 12-14-2008, 10:48 PM
Steve's Avatar
Steve Steve is online now
Administrator
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 36,688
Rep Power: 10
Steve has disabled reputation
Default

Lawn care business tipsLawn Care Business Book
Are you offering any services you can promote now that can help you attract new customers and then potentially turn them into mowing customers in the spring?
__________________
- Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-15-2008, 01:30 PM
rlcs08's Avatar
rlcs08 rlcs08 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: CIncinnati
Age: 25
Posts: 13
Rep Power: 7
rlcs08 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Are you offering any services you can promote now that can help you attract new customers and then potentially turn them into mowing customers in the spring?
I had thought about that, but refuse to put a plow on the front of my truck. (Only b/c i have the IFS on my truck and all that weight is bad for it.) I have plans of buying an F350 for my business in 2010 and will put a plow on it though.
I cleaned up leaves for my customers this fall, but that season is about over.
So I'm kinda in the middle of a rock and a hard place. No plow and leaf season is almost over.
__________________
I go by Hot Rod, its been my nick name since I was born.
'98 F150 4x4 (for sale)
'34 Ford Truck Hot Rod
'95 Sportster
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-15-2008, 08:37 PM
VPS Lawn Care
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

As the old eastern ride they had at Disney sang throught " NOW IS THE TIME, NOW IS THE BEST TIME, NOW IS THE BEST TIME OF YOUR LIFE, STAND UP AND CHEER FOR, ITS THE BEST TIME IN YOUR LIFE." Good luck man butnow is the time to get your name known. it is never to early or to late. any and everything you can have you name and what you do in as simple terms as possible. get your name known at all cost. it wil pay in the long run. cards,flyers,doorhangers, people remember when they talk to someone when they find a card, better then just leaving, leave an imprescion., enough ramble, good luck
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-15-2008, 09:27 PM
Steve's Avatar
Steve Steve is online now
Administrator
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 36,688
Rep Power: 10
Steve has disabled reputation
Default

Quote:
I had thought about that, but refuse to put a plow on the front of my truck. (Only b/c i have the IFS on my truck and all that weight is bad for it.) I have plans of buying an F350 for my business in 2010 and will put a plow on it though.
I cleaned up leaves for my customers this fall, but that season is about over.
So I'm kinda in the middle of a rock and a hard place. No plow and leaf season is almost over.
Can you do something with a snow blower? Could that get you started in snow removal for small driveways?

Also, why not think of yourself not simply as a lawn care business but as a property maintenance business? During the winter, there are plenty of services homeowners need done. Small projects around the house, that if you simply ask, you probably could get them to hire you to do it.

Did you check out the free flyer and door hanger section?
http://www.gopherforum.com/showthread.php?t=7198
http://www.gopherforum.com/showthread.php?t=7200

Maybe look through them and see if any of them strike an idea in your head that you would like to offer. Get these people to know you. Market a services you can do now and then when Spring rolls around, you will have first dibbs on getting them as mower customers.

After you look through the marketing material, let me know if anything stands out.

Quote:
As the old eastern ride they had at Disney sang throught " NOW IS THE TIME, NOW IS THE BEST TIME, NOW IS THE BEST TIME OF YOUR LIFE, STAND UP AND CHEER FOR, ITS THE BEST TIME IN YOUR LIFE." Good luck man butnow is the time to get your name known. it is never to early or to late. any and everything you can have you name and what you do in as simple terms as possible. get your name known at all cost. it wil pay in the long run. cards,flyers,doorhangers, people remember when they talk to someone when they find a card, better then just leaving, leave an imprescion., enough ramble, good luck
VPS, what do you suggest he market during the winter? What have you found that has worked for you?
__________________
- Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-17-2008, 01:25 PM
rlcs08's Avatar
rlcs08 rlcs08 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: CIncinnati
Age: 25
Posts: 13
Rep Power: 7
rlcs08 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Can you do something with a snow blower? Could that get you started in snow removal for small driveways?

Also, why not think of yourself not simply as a lawn care business but as a property maintenance business? During the winter, there are plenty of services homeowners need done. Small projects around the house, that if you simply ask, you probably could get them to hire you to do it.

Did you check out the free flyer and door hanger section?
http://www.gopherforum.com/showthread.php?t=7198
http://www.gopherforum.com/showthread.php?t=7200

Maybe look through them and see if any of them strike an idea in your head that you would like to offer. Get these people to know you. Market a services you can do now and then when Spring rolls around, you will have first dibbs on getting them as mower customers.

After you look through the marketing material, let me know if anything stands out.



VPS, what do you suggest he market during the winter? What have you found that has worked for you?

Ok. I will thank you very much. I would do it now, but am out of town on business and have limited internet access. I did just remember though that my dad said something about having a plow for the John Deere in the barn. Ill check it out when I go home thursday.
__________________
I go by Hot Rod, its been my nick name since I was born.
'98 F150 4x4 (for sale)
'34 Ford Truck Hot Rod
'95 Sportster
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-17-2008, 01:38 PM
Steve's Avatar
Steve Steve is online now
Administrator
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 36,688
Rep Power: 10
Steve has disabled reputation
Default

Quote:
I did just remember though that my dad said something about having a plow for the John Deere in the barn. Ill check it out when I go home thursday
Great thinking! Keep us posted.
__________________
- Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-18-2008, 04:54 PM
rlcs08's Avatar
rlcs08 rlcs08 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: CIncinnati
Age: 25
Posts: 13
Rep Power: 7
rlcs08 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Great thinking! Keep us posted.
ITS THERE!!! I do have a plow! I looked at the Deere and it has a broken mount. Ill have to do some fab work, but it'll get done!
__________________
I go by Hot Rod, its been my nick name since I was born.
'98 F150 4x4 (for sale)
'34 Ford Truck Hot Rod
'95 Sportster
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12-18-2008, 09:49 PM
VPS Lawn Care
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

well being in florida i guess i have alot of things i can offer (not snow removal though) , but have been doing some repair work. just finished laying tile for one client, fixed a porch for another. , Just think of the things you can do then offer them to your clients.
Also now is a good time to mail out flyers or introduction letters to potential customers. I just sent out 200 intro letters out to areas that i want to get into. I also sent out 50 intro leters and requests to be put on bid lists with several commercial clients to be.
Good luck hope this helps.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 12-18-2008, 11:14 PM
Steve's Avatar
Steve Steve is online now
Administrator
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 36,688
Rep Power: 10
Steve has disabled reputation
Default

Quote:
well being in florida i guess i have alot of things i can offer (not snow removal though) , but have been doing some repair work. just finished laying tile for one client, fixed a porch for another. , Just think of the things you can do then offer them to your clients.
Sherman, how do you let your customers know you can and will do such jobs?

Quote:
Also now is a good time to mail out flyers or introduction letters to potential customers. I just sent out 200 intro letters out to areas that i want to get into.
Were these residential or commercial? What do you suggest putting in such letters and where should you get the mailing addresses?

Quote:
I also sent out 50 intro leters and requests to be put on bid lists with several commercial clients to be.
How do you figure out who to send the commercial bid request letters to?
__________________
- Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
If you could start all over again Steve HardcoreUnemployable.com 9 09-22-2008 11:04 AM
How to start? Duclos Starting a lawn care business. 15 05-26-2008 10:56 PM
$45,000 to start? Steve Lawn Maintenance / Lawn Renovation 3 03-28-2007 11:07 PM
If you could start... Steve General Business Discussions 25 10-11-2004 06:55 PM
When should I start getting Upstate Lawn & Tree Care General Business Discussions 1 07-03-2003 11:34 PM

» Recent Threads
  RatingTitle, Username, & Date Last Post Replies Views
Stander Vs. Zt
totalscape
12-20-2014 07:57 PM
Today 06:50 PM
by Chilehead
7 165
Repair or replace the...
lxarth
12-17-2014 05:07 PM
Today 12:02 PM
by SuperiorPower
11 351
Facebook
element009
03-23-2011 09:36 AM
Yesterday 04:33 PM
by stevef1201
38 9,938
Ideas on a large bid
Knaubone
Yesterday 11:57 AM
Yesterday 11:57 AM
by Knaubone
0 66
what do you "love" to...
calebmoss
07-06-2011 10:05 PM
Yesterday 12:52 AM
by rmccutchan
31 9,090
I'm BACK!
SuperiorPower
12-16-2014 11:08 PM
12-20-2014 11:33 PM
by SuperiorPower
7 282
These are the days on...
ExtremeLawncareServices
03-22-2014 10:12 AM
12-19-2014 09:45 PM
by ExtremeLawncareServices
189 16,829
Georgia Boys!
Chilehead
12-18-2014 10:23 PM
12-19-2014 09:36 PM
by Chilehead
2 141
Employee job training...
brookline
12-15-2014 08:15 PM
12-19-2014 07:48 PM
by SuperiorPower
9 393
Hello from Md
homey
12-17-2014 06:55 PM
12-19-2014 06:00 PM
by homey
5 229
Has Obamacare helped or...
Steve
12-18-2014 04:37 PM
12-19-2014 05:43 PM
by stevef1201
3 166
What Fertilizer to Use?
acrajchel
04-07-2014 02:56 PM
12-17-2014 01:11 PM
by Steve
23 3,043
Grass hopper mower
ExtremeLawncareServices
12-05-2013 09:51 AM
12-17-2014 09:40 AM
by SuperiorPower
34 6,199
Peco Bagger
AGPS
11-18-2014 02:20 PM
12-17-2014 09:13 AM
by SuperiorPower
15 1,409
New to Gopher Haul-from...
323k13l
12-12-2014 10:34 PM
12-15-2014 02:58 PM
by Steve
3 354
hi
creteland
12-12-2014 09:06 AM
12-15-2014 01:45 PM
by Steve
5 344
New addition to my small...
googus
12-12-2014 07:36 PM
12-15-2014 07:47 AM
by googus
4 421
Ferris IS700Z
rmccutchan
12-14-2014 01:10 AM
12-14-2014 11:41 PM
by rmccutchan
4 318
Charge what the market...
Billy Goat
12-09-2014 12:39 PM
12-14-2014 06:39 PM
by biglee
20 871
Hi from IL
steveinil
11-25-2014 02:07 PM
12-12-2014 07:18 AM
by steveinil
4 864
Utility Company Right of...
eastsidelandcare
12-11-2014 04:54 PM
12-11-2014 04:54 PM
by eastsidelandcare
0 334
leaf removal
Double J LLC
10-03-2014 05:24 PM
12-11-2014 04:50 PM
by eastsidelandcare
33 4,176
suggestions on full lawn...
Brian3137
12-10-2014 07:18 PM
12-11-2014 03:41 PM
by Steve
6 447
new to me box truck
jrayb39667
03-06-2014 11:20 PM
12-11-2014 09:43 AM
by Sprinkler Buddy
18 3,459
Hello from SW FL!!
5StarLawnscaping
12-05-2014 02:35 PM
12-10-2014 02:45 PM
by WesleySnips
7 690
Echo pb200 blower fuel...
googus
12-06-2014 09:03 PM
12-09-2014 06:35 PM
by Steve
3 547
Are you prepared for the...
Steve
12-02-2014 04:13 PM
12-09-2014 06:22 PM
by Steve
7 960
Email Address Name
Just Cuts
12-07-2014 09:49 PM
12-08-2014 03:15 PM
by Steve
3 490
Inspection form
stevef1201
12-07-2014 10:38 AM
12-08-2014 03:10 PM
by Steve
1 480
Truck, Trailer,...
hawthornelawncare
12-23-2011 01:01 AM
12-08-2014 12:37 PM
by jrs.landscaping
108 34,323
Back Pack Blower
Ian Lovejoy
11-09-2014 08:41 AM
12-07-2014 06:35 PM
by stevef1201
24 1,796
Innovation by mandate
bayoubandit
11-29-2014 01:33 PM
12-06-2014 03:27 PM
by SGL1
12 1,037
Trying something new,...
ExtremeLawncareServices
09-21-2014 10:07 PM
12-05-2014 11:06 AM
by Steve
9 2,326
Good help is hard to find
Hanks Lawn Care Services
11-19-2014 03:27 PM
12-04-2014 01:32 PM
by stevef1201
15 1,514
How many hours is too...
Just Cuts
12-04-2014 09:00 AM
12-04-2014 01:02 PM
by Just for Cuts
6 678
Does this sound like a...
googus
12-03-2014 07:47 AM
12-04-2014 12:37 PM
by Steve
5 750
New website
Chilehead
11-20-2014 04:39 PM
12-04-2014 12:27 PM
by Steve
14 1,292
New website
SGL1
12-02-2014 10:55 PM
12-03-2014 11:17 PM
by BLC7
19 919
Websites, how long...
Dan Tanner
03-09-2014 08:29 AM
12-03-2014 11:12 PM
by SGL1
21 3,311
I Want to buy old...
ExtremeLawncareServices
10-10-2014 11:04 PM
12-03-2014 10:36 PM
by ExtremeLawncareServices
8 1,927
GPS trackers for...
Billy Goat
12-02-2014 06:09 PM
12-03-2014 07:17 PM
by Steve
8 777
My site is on fronts page
tbtigers03
11-14-2014 05:58 PM
12-03-2014 06:31 PM
by SGL1
17 1,520
Hiring Subs over Temps
Billy Goat
12-02-2014 06:26 AM
12-03-2014 01:24 PM
by Steve
3 689
Thanksgiving cards
Steve
11-10-2008 11:57 AM
12-02-2014 11:11 PM
by SGL1
11 9,581
New parking area
ExtremeLawncareServices
11-07-2014 09:47 PM
12-02-2014 02:17 PM
by jrs.landscaping
12 1,548
Pressure Washing...
WesleySnips
07-31-2014 07:13 PM
12-02-2014 08:47 AM
by SGL1
6 1,565
old contracts
bayoubandit
11-29-2014 11:10 AM
12-01-2014 11:20 AM
by Steve
3 757
Hi to you NOTHERNERS
stevef1201
11-11-2014 05:56 PM
12-01-2014 10:54 AM
by Steve
9 1,337
Lawn care truck
Steve
10-10-2009 03:40 AM
12-01-2014 10:45 AM
by Steve
32 15,252
Intuit Quickbooks...
CDLAWNCARE
11-30-2014 10:19 AM
11-30-2014 10:19 AM
by CDLAWNCARE
0 659
» Popular Tags
2wd 4x4 aerocore apartment complex auger bark billy goat brushcutter blades bush care charge christmas collections edging employee problems equipment rental estimate foreman four wheel drive georgia gopherhaul grass gravely growing a lawn care business hills holiday husqvarna jobs john deere quik trac labor cost landscape services lawn lawn care lawn care business podcast lawn care business seo lawn care business show lawn care business website lawn care business website seo lawn care website lighting lighting brass outdoor lights marketing mowing mr dave mulch mulch estimate new buisness new business new mower ordinance past due per hour service podcast profit on employee pto push versus ride running a business savannah search engine optimization seo shreaded small engine repair sprayer starting a business steep lawns theft toro grand stand trailer trimmer rack wood
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.1.0

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:23 PM.


(C) 2011 Riggs Publications - Terms of use & Privacy Policy

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:23 PM.

(C) 2011 Riggs Publications - Terms of use & Privacy Policy