Lawn Care Business Forum Lawn Care Business Book Lawn Care Business Blog Lawn Care Software
Home Forum Contract & Flyer Templates Blog Software Videos Podcast Calculators / Estimators Store Mower Review Design It Yourself Lawn Business School

Go Back   GopherHaul Landscaping & Lawn Care Business Marketing Forum > Just starting your lawn care or landscaping business? > Starting a lawn care business.

Starting a lawn care business. How to start a lawn mowing business, lawn care business, or landscaping business. If you are starting a lawn care business, ask your questions here.

advertising


Starting a lawn care business.

How to start a lawn mowing business, lawn care business, or landscaping business. If you are starting a lawn care business, ask your questions here.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #11  
Old 05-28-2007, 12:26 PM
Steve's Avatar
Steve Steve is online now
Administrator
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 36,519
Rep Power: 10
Steve has disabled reputation
Default

Have you also considered offering similar services that you offer in Orkin? Could you put that training you have to use with it?

Would you like to offer those services as additional services?
__________________
- Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.
Reply With Quote

Stop guess-timating. Learn how to estimate and make money! $$$
Mow Time Estimator Lawn Care Price Estimator Mulch and Topsoil Calculator Snow Plow Estimate Calculator


  #12  
Old 05-28-2007, 02:12 PM
landonkade's Avatar
landonkade landonkade is offline
Matt
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: alabama
Age: 32
Posts: 447
Rep Power: 8
landonkade
Default

Lawn care business tipsLawn Care Business Book
Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (Team Gopher @ May 28 2007,1:26)]Have you also considered offering similar services that you offer in Orkin? Could you put that training you have to use with it?

Would you like to offer those services as additional services?
yes, i think i can use the knowledge from orkin to help with the services of the lawn care. like include pest conrol in the contract or something of that nature

I have *Question:
* * * *I know that some companies start small( like push mower and old riding mower) and work there way big. I did the oppoiste, i stated big like commerical mower and all other things and have debt coming soon like $345 a month for all the lawn equipment and plus now have truck payment of $151 a month.

Now with me starting big and all the debt, will i still come out ahead and it wouldnt matter how i started, i think i can acheive it. One other problem i have for the fall and winter is that i did not get a bagger with the mower, i got the mulching kit. I think my better chance to go steady in the fall/winter is to get a bagger. I have a positve outlook on my goals

any secerts or keys to open the door,lol
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 05-29-2007, 02:21 PM
StartALawnCareBusiness's Avatar
StartALawnCareBusiness StartALawnCareBusiness is offline
Keith
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 731
Rep Power: 0
StartALawnCareBusiness is on a distinguished road
Default

Hey, landonkade:

I was thinking a bit more about your question this morning.

There has been some great info in this thread about what TO DO. I have a bit of advice on what not to do.

Especially if you have some debt in your truck and equipment, you might feel forced into taking whatever jobs come along. Afterall, you might think that a $20 job is better than no job at all.

When you are estimating and accepting jobs, think long term. If you get the reputation of doing cheap jobs in your community, it is far too easy for you to become typecast in your work. I have found that quality jobs beget more quality customers and cheap jobs will only get you more of the same.

Hey, listen, there is NOTHING wrong with doing $20 lawns and I don't want to offend anyone who does those...I know several people who make good livings with that type of lawn. However, I would recommend always having a minimum price ($35 as an example). Let your customers know that you do dependable, quality work. Never let them down and they will be customers for life and they will recommend other quality customers who will be willing to pay your price.

Oh, one more thing that might be helpful to you. Open lines of communication with the more successful LCOs in your town. Some of them might not like that there is another competitor out there. However, some of them will welcome you into the industry and they will be happy to share tips and ideas with you. A successful LCO who is overrun with customers might even give you some of his smaller accounts if he knows you will do quality work.

Keep at it. It seems you are on the right track.

Best Luck:

Keith
Start A Lawn Care Business
__________________
Start a profitable lawn care business.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 05-30-2007, 11:19 AM
Steve's Avatar
Steve Steve is online now
Administrator
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 36,519
Rep Power: 10
Steve has disabled reputation
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]I have Question:
I know that some companies start small( like push mower and old riding mower) and work there way big. I did the oppoiste, i stated big like commerical mower and all other things and have debt coming soon like $345 a month for all the lawn equipment and plus now have truck payment of $151 a month.

Now with me starting big and all the debt, will i still come out ahead and it wouldnt matter how i started, i think i can acheive it.
You will need 14 lawn cuts paying $35 a cut to pay off those items each month. How many lawns are you servicing on the weekends?

The reason why we like to promote starting with a very low investment is because you can make a lot of mistakes and still get through them.

One of our good friends on the forum Troy, had found himself in a bad spot due to debt that took him years to get out of.

Since you have this equipment now, it is just very important you get the word out about your business. Business cards, flyers, door hangers. As Keith mentioned, newspaper ads too.

What has been the latest with your marketing?
__________________
- Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 05-30-2007, 07:10 PM
landonkade's Avatar
landonkade landonkade is offline
Matt
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: alabama
Age: 32
Posts: 447
Rep Power: 8
landonkade
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (Team Gopher @ May 30 2007,12:19)]
Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]I have *Question:
* * * I know that some companies start small( like push mower and old riding mower) and work there way big. I did the oppoiste, i stated big like commerical mower and all other things and have debt coming soon like $345 a month for all the lawn equipment and plus now have truck payment of $151 a month.

Now with me starting big and all the debt, will i still come out ahead and it wouldnt matter how i started, i think i can acheive it.
You will need 14 lawn cuts paying $35 a cut to pay off those items each month. How many lawns are you servicing on the weekends?

The reason why we like to promote starting with a very low investment is because you can make a lot of mistakes and still get through them.

One of our good friends on the forum Troy, had found himself in a bad spot due to debt that took him years to get out of.

Since you have this equipment now, it is just very important you get the word out about your business. Business cards, flyers, door hangers. As Keith mentioned, newspaper ads too.

What has been the latest with your marketing?
well my best responces have came from the paper. But i also put out business cards in gas stations and they disappear really fast,lol. i sent the business card to gopher to show also on the forum. if he does post it, i made it stand out really well and catchy.

but with the debt that i have i hope i make good profits even though of the payments that i have, just all about managing money,lol with i am good at,lol.

i am in the process of doing a yard that has 40 bushes that need to be trimmed around the sides of the home and around back ( some over head high, some head high, and some knee high sitting on 3 acres, with 20 oak trees in the front yard and grass cutting and weedeating, the home is sitting off the road about 250 yards or so,lol.

i was thinking like $300 for the inital and then $75 every other time. are both these prices to high or to low or just right, with me and another person working on it.

so let me know soon. thanks, before she calls, i have already left a message for her to call me back so i can tell her the price
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 05-30-2007, 09:58 PM
tiedeman
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (landonkade @ May 28 2007,3:12)]
Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (Team Gopher @ May 28 2007,1:26)]Have you also considered offering similar services that you offer in Orkin? Could you put that training you have to use with it?

Would you like to offer those services as additional services?
yes, i think i can use the knowledge from orkin to help with the services of the lawn care. like include pest conrol in the contract or something of that nature

I have *Question:
* * * *I know that some companies start small( like push mower and old riding mower) and work there way big. I did the oppoiste, i stated big like commerical mower and all other things and have debt coming soon like $345 a month for all the lawn equipment and plus now have truck payment of $151 a month.

Now with me starting big and all the debt, will i still come out ahead and it wouldnt matter how i started, i think i can acheive it. One other problem i have for the fall and winter is that i did not get a bagger with the mower, i got the mulching kit. I think my better chance to go steady in the fall/winter is to get a bagger. I have a positve outlook on my goals

any secerts or keys to open the door,lol
I started out in horrible debt at first, and it took me a long time to recover, believe it or not I am still recovering from some business debt.

I bought two commercial mowers at first and racked up around $7,000 in debt. I only had about 10 customers at the time too. My best advice I give to all companies, do not go into debt unless you can pay off that debt within a years time. If you don't, it will just hurt you in the long run by limiting your purchasing and budgetting procedures.

Try to purchase every in cash or in credit if you can pay it off in a year. Sure, truck purchases are the exceptions though. If you need certain items now and then, such as aerations, walk behind leaf blowers, dethatchers, etc. I would suggest to rent them. You actually will save money in the long run.

My best advice though for you right now is one of two things; grow big and fast now to pay off your equipment, or sell off itesm that you do not use and use that money towards your debt.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 05-31-2007, 07:55 AM
Steve's Avatar
Steve Steve is online now
Administrator
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 36,519
Rep Power: 10
Steve has disabled reputation
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]i am in the process of doing a yard that has 40 bushes that need to be trimmed around the sides of the home and around back ( some over head high, some head high, and some knee high sitting on 3 acres, with 20 oak trees in the front yard and grass cutting and weedeating, the home is sitting off the road about 250 yards or so,lol.

i was thinking like $300 for the inital and then $75 every other time. are both these prices to high or to low or just right, with me and another person working on it.
Do you have an idea of how long it will take you? Also do you have an idea what your expenses are per hour?
__________________
- Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 05-31-2007, 08:28 PM
landonkade's Avatar
landonkade landonkade is offline
Matt
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: alabama
Age: 32
Posts: 447
Rep Power: 8
landonkade
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (Team Gopher @ May 31 2007,8:55)]
Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]i am in the process of doing a yard that has 40 bushes that need to be trimmed around the sides of the home and around back ( some over head high, some head high, and some knee high sitting on 3 acres, with 20 oak trees in the front yard and grass cutting and weedeating, the home is sitting off the road about 250 yards or so,lol.

i was thinking like $300 for the inital and then $75 every other time. are both these prices to high or to low or just right, with me and another person working on it.
Do you have an idea of how long it will take you? Also do you have an idea what your expenses are per hour?
nevermind about that, she never called back, and some one else got it,lol. but o well i'll gain more. it would have been a good one though

what would be a good hourly rate for me to make profit plus pay for my equipment, me just working by myself?
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 06-02-2007, 11:44 AM
gman gman is offline
Members
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 30
Rep Power: 9
gman
Default

Hi

I was reading your story and I would like to add something. I have been in the business for 1 year now I started out with a push mower and a cheap blower and edger and using my wife kia sportage. And working on weekends with a fulltime job also. As I got more accounts I got better equipment, as I paid of one thing I got another. I have only 45 accounts, it is hard to get past 45 as every community is gated. When I quit my fulltime job I got a job delieving pizza at night, I talk to my boss and he lets me advertize on the boxes for free. It is good way to control me areas that I want to get my company name out there. As I get new customers I lose one. I gust started to request contracts and see how that will gose.

I have had one customer that asked me to do a yard cleanup one flower bed at each time I come. Stay away from that as I leaned the hard way. You work hard do a great job and the customer decides the hardpart is over and he could do the rest himself. I going to stay away for customers that won't sign contract for now on. I have lost alot on money for people that won't pay....... I wish there is a way I can get the money form them?
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 06-02-2007, 12:40 PM
landonkade's Avatar
landonkade landonkade is offline
Matt
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: alabama
Age: 32
Posts: 447
Rep Power: 8
landonkade
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (gman @ June 02 2007,12:44)]Hi

I was reading your story and I would like to add something. I have been in the business for 1 year now I started out with a push mower and a cheap blower and edger and using my wife kia sportage. And working on weekends with a fulltime job also. As I got more accounts I got better equipment, as I paid of one thing I got another. I have only 45 accounts, it is hard to get past 45 as every community is gated. When I quit my fulltime job I got a job delieving pizza at night, I talk to my boss and he lets me advertize on the boxes for free. It is good way to control me areas that I want to get my company name out there. As I get new customers I lose one. I gust started to request contracts and see how that will gose.

I have had one customer that asked me to do a yard cleanup one flower bed at each time I come. Stay away from that as I leaned the hard way. You work hard do a great job and the customer decides the hardpart is over and he could do the rest himself. I going to stay away for customers that won't sign contract for now on. I have lost alot on money for people that won't pay....... I wish there is a way I can get the money form them?
yeah i have noticed that people keep putting me off, since i dont have a contract going. so i have decided to start doing the contracts and also referral letters to help me gain customers. i will check into that idea about putting flyers or something on the pizza boxes
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump

» Recent Threads
  RatingTitle, Username, & Date Last Post Replies Views
Business Cards
crieg122
Today 12:03 PM
Today 01:02 PM
by biglee
1 38
Lawn Care business...
crieg122
10-23-2014 01:23 PM
Today 12:54 PM
by biglee
6 247
raking leaves ?
robert8509
10-22-2014 09:19 PM
Today 12:09 PM
by biglee
10 330
Leaf Box & Loader Set...
ringahding1
10-21-2014 06:20 AM
Today 11:46 AM
by crieg122
6 332
Gie-review / What's new...
ExtremeLawncareServices
Today 09:19 AM
Today 09:19 AM
by ExtremeLawncareServices
0 40
Dealing With Gas Can...
Mr. Mow
10-21-2014 01:41 PM
Today 08:37 AM
by Dan Tanner
10 391
Leaf removal
madmedic8575
Yesterday 04:14 PM
Today 06:47 AM
by Mr. Mow
3 134
My Newest Toy (B.P....
Dan Tanner
10-23-2014 05:50 PM
Today 05:06 AM
by Dan Tanner
2 174
hey everyone
robert8509
10-22-2014 08:16 PM
Yesterday 11:07 PM
by robert8509
7 255
new to the forum
madmedic8575
Yesterday 02:52 PM
Yesterday 02:52 PM
by madmedic8575
0 82
Pressure Washing Like a...
TNTurf
08-01-2014 11:47 PM
Yesterday 01:00 PM
by Steve
11 924
12 Years in Business!
Chilehead
10-23-2014 08:07 AM
10-23-2014 11:08 PM
by Chilehead
2 177
Cheapskate Landlord...
Mr. Mow
10-20-2014 06:33 AM
10-23-2014 05:55 PM
by biglee
13 486
Hi from SoCal
Jmoney
10-23-2014 11:29 AM
10-23-2014 12:51 PM
by Steve
1 145
Workmans compensation...
CDLAWNCARE
10-15-2014 08:05 AM
10-23-2014 12:33 PM
by Steve
5 601
Pda
stevef1201
10-18-2014 02:05 PM
10-23-2014 06:12 AM
by ringahding1
4 428
Hello, from TEXAS
sanchez5
10-17-2014 09:56 PM
10-22-2014 01:27 PM
by Steve
6 497
Organic Lawn Care...
NHray
10-17-2014 06:05 PM
10-22-2014 01:23 PM
by Steve
3 471
Hi Steve From West...
Mr. Mow
10-21-2014 01:59 PM
10-22-2014 01:19 PM
by Steve
1 242
Help a brother...
tbtigers03
09-28-2014 11:41 AM
10-22-2014 08:51 AM
by ringahding1
12 1,608
first year update
cmdlawncare
08-12-2014 05:41 PM
10-22-2014 07:47 AM
by ringahding1
4 1,442
What parts do you carry...
Just for Cuts
10-17-2014 09:08 AM
10-21-2014 01:36 PM
by Mr. Mow
16 746
Jungle to Beautiful
stevef1201
10-17-2014 09:54 AM
10-21-2014 01:26 PM
by stevef1201
11 597
These are the days on...
ExtremeLawncareServices
03-22-2014 09:12 AM
10-21-2014 01:19 PM
by ExtremeLawncareServices
158 11,535
Sunny Beach Tennis...
SGL1
10-19-2014 11:24 PM
10-21-2014 01:04 PM
by SGL1
4 345
Have you ever had to...
SouthernRootsLawnCare
07-26-2014 02:41 PM
10-20-2014 08:34 PM
by biglee
10 1,920
Look out Bob Villa -...
Mr Dave
09-30-2014 10:06 AM
10-20-2014 05:42 PM
by SGL1
7 1,404
how to fi d commercial...
mchampion319
10-19-2014 09:50 PM
10-20-2014 04:41 PM
by Steve
1 312
Hello From Tennessee
mrmann901
10-17-2014 10:02 PM
10-20-2014 04:24 PM
by Steve
1 380
questions on order to...
jack2048
10-13-2014 11:15 AM
10-20-2014 03:27 PM
by Mr. Mow
15 838
This sucks...
Matther777
09-18-2014 04:56 PM
10-20-2014 02:14 PM
by Steve
14 2,300
Cement mixer
KevinsLawns
10-15-2014 08:03 PM
10-20-2014 02:11 PM
by Steve
7 574
Hello ! New guy Rob here
RWorthley1
10-17-2014 04:05 PM
10-20-2014 02:09 PM
by Steve
1 414
Snow Blowing
gwilson98
10-12-2014 02:21 PM
10-17-2014 02:51 PM
by Steve
6 754
Spreading Weeds?
WesleySnips
07-27-2014 09:46 PM
10-17-2014 07:49 AM
by SGL1
6 1,061
Grasswhoopins.com Anyone...
GRASS WHOOPINS
06-21-2011 11:38 PM
10-16-2014 01:30 PM
by ExtremeLawncareServices
42 9,433
I Want to buy old...
ExtremeLawncareServices
10-10-2014 10:04 PM
10-15-2014 09:12 PM
by ExtremeLawncareServices
6 776
Say Hello !!!
Steve
03-19-2007 11:18 AM
10-15-2014 06:43 PM
by NHray
1,190 340,452
Do you find weed eating...
chuck2s
10-15-2014 02:10 PM
10-15-2014 02:10 PM
by chuck2s
0 501
Incorporating &...
WesleySnips
10-01-2014 09:39 PM
10-15-2014 01:37 PM
by kslawn
20 1,601
Falling into business
stellarmowing
09-28-2014 04:35 PM
10-15-2014 05:57 AM
by ringahding1
8 1,606
Apartment Complex and...
lxarth
06-22-2011 01:10 PM
10-14-2014 06:25 PM
by jrs.landscaping
42 9,710
I LOVE hedge trimming
stevef1201
10-13-2014 09:05 AM
10-14-2014 01:06 PM
by Steve
5 631
Help with seeder...
ExtremeLawncareServices
10-09-2014 07:39 AM
10-13-2014 08:09 PM
by ExtremeLawncareServices
5 791
The Market watch
WesleySnips
10-12-2014 08:47 PM
10-13-2014 05:40 PM
by SGL1
3 635
Help pricing a large...
Bradcook21
10-07-2014 06:49 AM
10-13-2014 02:00 PM
by Steve
7 985
leaf removal
Double J LLC
10-03-2014 04:24 PM
10-13-2014 06:46 AM
by Billy Goat
19 1,638
Acerage Rake
acrajchel
04-23-2014 07:23 PM
10-12-2014 10:53 PM
by SGL1
2 949
John Deere z235 Deck
WesleySnips
09-29-2014 06:02 PM
10-12-2014 06:20 PM
by kslawn
25 1,772
Credit card contract
SGL1
10-06-2014 05:31 PM
10-12-2014 03:40 PM
by SGL1
18 1,175
» Popular Tags
4wd apartment bid apartment lawn care estimate applying bob villa bush charge christmas commercial deliquentaccounts demonstration exmark ferris first truck georgia gopherhaul gravely hardscapes hills holiday honda how much to charge how to hydraulic labor cost landscape services lawn lawn care lawn care busines plan lawn care business book lawn care business podcast lawn care business seo lawn care business show lawn care business website lawn care business website seo lawn care seo lawn care website lawn care website seo lighting brass outdoor lights managing a lawn care business marketing mechanic monthly mowing mulch mulch price new business patio install podcast property management company push versus ride savannah scag scag v-ride seo shell snow plowing starting a business starting a lawn care business start up lawn care business stihl sulky toro tractor auger trailer mate pro tree truck new used landscape walker won't return wright stander rh
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.1.0

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:42 PM.


(C) 2011 Riggs Publications - Terms of use & Privacy Policy

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:42 PM.

(C) 2011 Riggs Publications - Terms of use & Privacy Policy