Lawn Care Business Forum Lawn Care Business Book Lawn Care Business Blog Lawn Care Software
Home Forum Contract & Flyer Templates Blog Software Videos Podcast Calculators / Estimators Store Mower Review Design It Yourself Lawn Business School

Go Back   GopherHaul Landscaping & Lawn Care Business Marketing Forum > Just starting your lawn care or landscaping business? > Starting a lawn care business.

Starting a lawn care business. How to start a lawn mowing business, lawn care business, or landscaping business. If you are starting a lawn care business, ask your questions here.

Top Four Young Entrepreneur Mistakes


Starting a lawn care business.

How to start a lawn mowing business, lawn care business, or landscaping business. If you are starting a lawn care business, ask your questions here.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 11-30-2006, 01:59 PM
Steve's Avatar
Steve Steve is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 35,752
Rep Power: 10
Steve has disabled reputation
Default

These are some interesting points to consider when you are starting on with a new business.

Did any of these apply to you when you got started?

Top Four Young Entrepreneur Mistakes - 1. Not enough networking

One of the most profound differences between young professionals and their older counterparts is the lack of networking opportunities. Seasoned entrepreneurs and those fresh from the corporate world have had the time to build up a list of contacts to help with a start-up. Without their own industry experience, young people must rely on the advice of others who have gone before them.

2. Not prepared for the work load

Any business requires incredible amounts of effort so aspiring business owners should make sure the sweat and tears will be worth it in the end. “If you are going to start a business you better love what you are doing,” Cone said. “It is so much work and the pay off is just so far away… it’s not motivating when it’s 3 a.m.… there has to passion there.”

3. Lack of Confidence

Many young people feel like they won’t be taken seriously, or are not confident with their own capabilities. However, confidence is extremely important when dealing with investors. If someone can’t believe in himself, no one else will either.

4. Afraid to ask family and friends for help

According to Cone, most businesses, and especially those started by young entrepreneurs, obtain funds first through family and friends. This makes some people uncomfortable, but Cone said it is perfectly normal and corresponds with the majority of business owners’ experiences.
__________________
- Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.
Reply With Quote

Stop guess-timating. Learn how to estimate and make money! $$$
Mow Time Estimator Lawn Care Price Estimator Mulch and Topsoil Calculator Snow Plow Estimate Calculator


  #2  
Old 03-07-2010, 07:28 AM
lklandscaping lklandscaping is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Age: 21
Posts: 70
Rep Power: 5
lklandscaping is on a distinguished road
Default

Lawn care business tipsLawn Care Business Book
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
These are some interesting points to consider when you are starting on with a new business.

Did any of these apply to you when you got started?

Top Four Young Entrepreneur Mistakes - 1. Not enough networking

One of the most profound differences between young professionals and their older counterparts is the lack of networking opportunities. Seasoned entrepreneurs and those fresh from the corporate world have had the time to build up a list of contacts to help with a start-up. Without their own industry experience, young people must rely on the advice of others who have gone before them.

2. Not prepared for the work load

Any business requires incredible amounts of effort so aspiring business owners should make sure the sweat and tears will be worth it in the end. “If you are going to start a business you better love what you are doing,” Cone said. “It is so much work and the pay off is just so far away… it’s not motivating when it’s 3 a.m.… there has to passion there.”

3. Lack of Confidence

Many young people feel like they won’t be taken seriously, or are not confident with their own capabilities. However, confidence is extremely important when dealing with investors. If someone can’t believe in himself, no one else will either.

4. Afraid to ask family and friends for help

According to Cone, most businesses, and especially those started by young entrepreneurs, obtain funds first through family and friends. This makes some people uncomfortable, but Cone said it is perfectly normal and corresponds with the majority of business owners’ experiences.
I just wanted to revitalize an old post...

1 and 4 hit me hard when I first started out.

I think # 5 should be:

Waiting to become legal. So many new landscaping companies fail because of this. I'm sorry to say this but when it happens locally sometimes I'm happy because I can buy practically new equipment at dirt cheap prices.

#6: Over establishing your bussiness. Ex: Overbuying equipment, over marketing (yes it's possible (see below)), and becoming too obsessed with the business aspect of the business. When you first start out, you don't yet need the top of the line exerything. remember K.I.S.S.- Keep It Simple Stupid.

__________________________________________________ _______________
Regarding the overmarketing: Over marketing is when you get to the point where you have "taken over" the phone books to the point you are targeting people in other counties, and in some cases, other states
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-07-2010, 09:39 PM
racerdude711
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

I would say that I agree with part of number 3. Not that I don't have confidence in myself, it's your target customers. People think that if they hire me, being 17 years old, that I'm not going to do as good of a job. I totally disagree, infact, I think I do a better job than most larger companies, mainly because I'm not only some guy out behind the mower, I'm also the OWNER. I think that a lot of big companies struggle with their employees, one struggle I think they have is making sure their employees are doing a good job when the owner isn't there to look over their every move. No one is cares about the company more than the owner. I have all the confidence in the world, just not sure that potential customers think the same when they find out I'm 17. After I get the customer, they are surprised by my quality as professionalism of work. (which is good,lol)

I also agree with number four somewhat. I really try not to get family or friends involved with my business. I think it's better off that way. As the saying goes, "Never do business with family".
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-07-2010, 10:33 PM
MountainViewGreenskeeper's Avatar
MountainViewGreenskeeper MountainViewGreenskeeper is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Mesa, AZ
Posts: 473
Rep Power: 5
MountainViewGreenskeeper is on a distinguished road
Default

To me atleast it been more of a game figuring out what works and what does marketing wise. So number 1 has been tough. Investment wise no one I know has money so all I can ask is spread the word and give me the work if you got it. witch comes back to number 1.
__________________
Colton
Mountain View Greenskeeper proudly offering yard care in the East Valley of Arizona.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-08-2010, 12:07 PM
Steve's Avatar
Steve Steve is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 35,752
Rep Power: 10
Steve has disabled reputation
Default

Quote:
I just wanted to revitalize an old post...

1 and 4 hit me hard when I first started out.
What kinds of issues popped up for you when you first got started? How would you have tried to avoid them if you could start over?
__________________
- Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-08-2010, 01:06 PM
picframer's Avatar
picframer picframer is offline
Andy
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia
Posts: 2,885
Rep Power: 9
picframer will become famous soon enough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
What kinds of issues popped up for you when you first got started? How would you have tried to avoid them if you could start over?
I think they should remove the word Young, age doesn't have much to do with it.

The one thing that hit us hard was the workload, as we added new services they were taking off and I didn't have staff trained to back me up. At least this year we are going into this with well trained employees so we should be fine as we are not adding additional services until 2012.
__________________
Andy
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-09-2010, 04:11 AM
lklandscaping lklandscaping is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Age: 21
Posts: 70
Rep Power: 5
lklandscaping is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerdude711 View Post
I would say that I agree with part of number 3. Not that I don't have confidence in myself, it's your target customers. People think that if they hire me, being 17 years old, that I'm not going to do as good of a job. I totally disagree, infact, I think I do a better job than most larger companies, mainly because I'm not only some guy out behind the mower, I'm also the OWNER. I think that a lot of big companies struggle with their employees, one struggle I think they have is making sure their employees are doing a good job when the owner isn't there to look over their every move. No one is cares about the company more than the owner. I have all the confidence in the world, just not sure that potential customers think the same when they find out I'm 17. After I get the customer, they are surprised by my quality as professionalism of work. (which is good,lol)

I also agree with number four somewhat. I really try not to get family or friends involved with my business. I think it's better off that way. As the saying goes, "Never do business with family".
I agree with you 100%. I've lost several bids not because of my price but because of my age. I have many clients, and the problem is becoming less of an issue, because word-of-mouth advertising is working to my advantage.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-09-2010, 01:47 PM
racerdude711
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lklandscaping View Post
I agree with you 100%. I've lost several bids not because of my price but because of my age. I have many clients, and the problem is becoming less of an issue, because word-of-mouth advertising is working to my advantage.

Yep, and because of this problem, I'm going to include pictures of lawns that I've done on my flyers, with a pic of me, my truck, and equipment. Word of mouth is also helping too. I shouldn't have to rely on the flyers as much this year because my clientele is somewhat built up from last summer.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-09-2010, 03:48 PM
StartALawnCareBusiness's Avatar
StartALawnCareBusiness StartALawnCareBusiness is offline
Keith
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 731
Rep Power: 0
StartALawnCareBusiness is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
People think that if they hire me, being 17 years old, that I'm not going to do as good of a job.

Age does have a lot to do with not getting jobs on the commercial side of your business. It's neither that you are untrustworthy nor that you don't perform quality work.

The problem is in the fact that you are under 18 (or 21). As such you may be legally unable to enter into a contract with a commercial client. Also, they take on quite a bit of liability hiring someone under legal age to operate machinery on their properties.

This is just a fact of law and isn't anything against you personally.

My advice is to keep nurturing those contacts. The day you turn 18 show up on their doorsteps to let them know that you are "legal" and ready to talk about contracts for the upcoming season.

Good luck and congrats for starting so young:

Keith
__________________
Start a profitable lawn care business.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 03-09-2010, 04:06 PM
racerdude711
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Nothing against you, I just want to say that the fact that I'm not at the age of majority, legal age, does not mean that I cannot mow for a commercial property. If I show up to mow there every week, and they pay me, its legal. All the contract does is give both the commercial company, and the service provider something to go off of if they have to go to court. So if I show up to mow, and they do not pay me, I am not legally bound to a contract that would state that I am to be payed.

One of the main reasons a commercial company would not hire me, is for the fact that I am not insured. (and their stereotype of a 17 year old)

Like I said, nothing against you, I appreciate the response, but I've been learning about this in a Business Law class, so I thought I would share.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump

» Recent Threads
  RatingTitle, Username, & Date Last Post Replies Views
What Fertilizer to Use?
acrajchel
04-07-2014 01:56 PM
Today 12:40 AM
by ExtremeLawncareServices
14 390
danny 2
danny2
Yesterday 10:19 PM
Yesterday 10:41 PM
by danny2
1 34
I Got Taken...,
Dan Tanner
Yesterday 06:26 AM
Yesterday 08:15 PM
by Dan Tanner
3 107
new to this forum!
mower13126
04-18-2014 07:37 PM
Yesterday 05:34 PM
by Sprinkler Buddy
3 94
Lawn Renovation
stevef1201
04-11-2014 12:00 PM
Yesterday 03:15 PM
by stevef1201
9 251
employee pay
4 seasons maintenance
04-10-2011 09:34 PM
Yesterday 12:19 PM
by kslawn
19 6,770
REO calling
Dan Tanner
04-16-2014 05:03 PM
Yesterday 11:17 AM
by kslawn
11 257
this mower is driving me...
boog
04-17-2014 12:07 PM
Yesterday 10:59 AM
by kslawn
4 132
Customers droping like...
goodtimez
04-18-2014 09:53 AM
Yesterday 08:09 AM
by CDLAWNCARE
7 159
Back for this year
xandrew245x
02-21-2014 04:30 PM
Yesterday 07:59 AM
by xandrew245x
14 864
Any greenhouse operators...
GoGreenerKS
04-15-2014 11:21 AM
Yesterday 07:49 AM
by CDLAWNCARE
4 139
Looking for advice on a...
Tekeda1
04-13-2014 09:53 AM
Yesterday 04:22 AM
by Tekeda1
17 381
2.5 acre mowing
xandrew245x
04-18-2014 06:55 AM
04-18-2014 08:57 PM
by xandrew245x
6 119
Best Bulk Mulch delivery...
Steven Virgadamo
04-18-2014 09:52 AM
04-18-2014 05:34 PM
by Steve
2 67
Steve Virgadamo,...
Steven Virgadamo
04-18-2014 09:49 AM
04-18-2014 05:08 PM
by Steve
2 58
Instagram
Gerardo_Landscape
04-16-2014 11:28 AM
04-18-2014 04:51 PM
by Steve
3 99
Help with weed liability!
Prolawnofchatt
04-15-2014 09:10 AM
04-18-2014 04:47 PM
by Steve
5 193
These are the days on...
ExtremeLawncareServices
03-22-2014 09:12 AM
04-18-2014 04:41 PM
by Steve
31 1,073
Nationwide lawn care...
Billy Goat
04-15-2014 05:21 PM
04-18-2014 04:39 PM
by Steve
9 214
Truck Signage
Dan Tanner
04-16-2014 11:00 PM
04-18-2014 04:04 PM
by stevef1201
10 209
leaf removal
tlf59263
04-15-2014 10:00 PM
04-18-2014 03:59 PM
by stevef1201
6 178
Pay per click advertising
roostertail
02-12-2014 07:26 PM
04-17-2014 07:11 PM
by yardrate
10 609
Accepting credit cards,...
Darksteel
03-17-2014 08:01 PM
04-16-2014 01:02 PM
by jymie
15 727
Trimec
acrajchel
04-15-2014 08:24 PM
04-16-2014 11:10 AM
by Steve
3 106
Gopher Forum Discount!
BlackRain75
04-12-2014 10:44 PM
04-16-2014 10:50 AM
by Steve
9 278
hello
NFrailey
04-15-2014 01:39 PM
04-16-2014 10:48 AM
by Steve
1 96
Pricing a Mulch Job
dmcalpi
04-07-2014 02:16 PM
04-16-2014 09:40 AM
by jymie
21 620
google earth
CDLAWNCARE
04-12-2014 03:24 PM
04-16-2014 09:36 AM
by jymie
8 236
There has to be an...
CDLAWNCARE
04-14-2014 12:59 PM
04-15-2014 04:06 PM
by Dan Tanner
6 175
First Day Back!
BelleCityLawn1
04-09-2014 09:13 PM
04-15-2014 11:16 AM
by Steve
11 309
Mow America
stevegredler
04-13-2014 01:02 PM
04-14-2014 09:53 PM
by kslawn
5 211
Power Broom
acrajchel
04-14-2014 07:46 AM
04-14-2014 12:47 PM
by CDLAWNCARE
2 108
Say Hello !!!
Steve
03-19-2007 11:18 AM
04-14-2014 11:34 AM
by Steve
1,176 285,654
Equipment reviews
Greg'slawnandlandscape
04-09-2014 07:17 AM
04-14-2014 11:27 AM
by Greg'slawnandlandscape
13 449
Sulky and Turf Tracer
acrajchel
04-07-2014 01:44 PM
04-14-2014 10:51 AM
by Steve
8 361
Aerating Prices?
Dan Tanner
04-08-2014 03:16 PM
04-14-2014 10:31 AM
by Steve
13 447
Estimating help
acrajchel
04-11-2014 06:06 PM
04-14-2014 10:20 AM
by Steve
3 176
Need help bidding church...
GreenRidge Lawn&Landscape
04-07-2014 08:01 PM
04-14-2014 09:49 AM
by Steve
12 425
Hello all
Griff20114
04-12-2014 05:08 PM
04-14-2014 09:46 AM
by Steve
1 119
Step by Step Spring Lawn...
WarriorLawnscaping
04-10-2014 07:01 AM
04-14-2014 09:43 AM
by Steve
5 253
Jeff Cowden
jcowden
04-11-2014 07:27 PM
04-14-2014 09:39 AM
by Steve
1 112
Exmark Commercial 30...
Dan Tanner
04-11-2014 05:35 AM
04-14-2014 09:37 AM
by Steve
4 201
What Was Your Setup When...
superrman77
02-11-2014 10:53 AM
04-14-2014 08:04 AM
by acrajchel
21 1,602
Small guy time to get a...
googus
04-08-2014 08:16 AM
04-13-2014 07:18 PM
by A. Kulak Landscaping
9 332
Weekly vs. Bi-weekly
CDLAWNCARE
04-12-2014 01:48 PM
04-13-2014 06:03 PM
by kslawn
9 339
Weed ID help
TwinBrosLC
04-12-2014 10:39 AM
04-13-2014 07:40 AM
by stevef1201
4 171
Lexington, KY
acrajchel
04-07-2014 01:06 PM
04-11-2014 09:49 PM
by acrajchel
1 141
Food Plot Management
BlackRain75
04-11-2014 10:20 AM
04-11-2014 03:51 PM
by Steve
4 141
Estimating a job
acrajchel
04-08-2014 11:07 AM
04-11-2014 03:32 PM
by Steve
6 311
New Boomless Sprayer!
BlackRain75
01-03-2014 01:01 PM
04-11-2014 03:25 PM
by Steve
11 1,020
» Popular Tags
4wd 34'' aerator bid charge christmas light hanging christmas lighting color jet courtesy call credit card processing cultivation customers decorating echo ecosymbiosis escrow exmark ferris first truck florida flower bed cultivation price fs90r fundraiser gopherhaul grass gravely holiday holiday lighting honda how much to charge introduction lawn care lawn care business book lawn care business show lawn service leaf removal lighting marketing mechanic mowing mowing clarksville mulch native plants new buisness new business online classifieds organize outdoor environments payday pb500t podcast reo requests riding mower rotating scag season seo social media starting a business start up lawn care business steve stihl top dresser toro trailer truck turfgrass consulting walker winter services
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.1.0

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:36 AM.


(C) 2011 Riggs Publications - Terms of use & Privacy Policy

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:36 AM.

(C) 2011 Riggs Publications - Terms of use & Privacy Policy