Lawn Care Business Forum Lawn Care Business Book Lawn Care Business Blog Lawn Care Software
Home Forum Contract & Flyer Templates Blog Software Videos Podcast Calculators / Estimators Store Mower Review Design It Yourself Lawn Business School

Go Back   GopherHaul Landscaping & Lawn Care Business Marketing Forum > Just starting your lawn care or landscaping business? > Starting a lawn care business.

Starting a lawn care business. How to start a lawn mowing business, lawn care business, or landscaping business. If you are starting a lawn care business, ask your questions here.

Accepting credit cards, how important is it really?

Starting a lawn care business.

How to start a lawn mowing business, lawn care business, or landscaping business. If you are starting a lawn care business, ask your questions here.

Old 03-17-2014, 08:01 PM

Darksteel is on a distinguished road
Default Accepting credit cards, how important is it really?

I've been looking into accepting credits. But I just don't see the point. If I go to the persons house every week why would they need to pay me by credit card? I know paying by credit is more secure when you're purchasing a physical item, especially online from out of state or the country. But if we live in the same town & I'm going to their house every week why can't they just hand me cash or a check? Is there a point to it? Here's the way I see it, I have to pay out a crap load of extra money every month to accept credit cards simply because............I don't know, they're too lazy to write a check? I honestly don't know. I don't see an actual reason. I had a guy call me the other day & he asked if I accepted credit cards. What the hell for? If we live in the same town & your bank is in that town why not just write me a check???

The thing is, I have no use for a cell phone. I don't have one, I don't want one. Back when I was a teenager I loved all the new technology & kept up with it. But as I grew older I realized it's just a stupid money making scam. Constant unnecessary updates/upgrades, and the crap is obsolete before you even get it out of the store. I'm trying to keep my monthly bills down to the bare minimum. I despise people trying to constantly get their hands on my money. Because that's all life is, people trying to get your money every second of every day. Besides not having a single reason to own a cell phone they're confusing & expensive. The old fashioned land line & answering machine is perfect. I see no reason in doing it any other way. If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Somebody on this site recommended Square. So I was looking into that. I was at a business a couple weeks ago & the guy was using square. So I started asking him a lot of questions about it. He seemed to love it! It looks really awesome, nice & simple. But I would have to get a cell phone & a monthly plan. He told me to look into something at Walmart called Smart Talk or Straight Talk. But dear God I'm still totally confused. Every time I look at this crap it gives me a headache & anxiety.

I was just doing some more research on the subject & found that puts Square at #10 & Flagship ROAMpay at #1. And look at how many different ones there are to choose from. I don't want to get involved with any of this & I can't understand why any sane person would. With most things in life it's just better to give it the finger & walk away. I give everything the finger, it's great! Because nothing is as important as they want you to think it is.

So my main question is this: If I'm going to keep it small, just a one man operation, mowing & trimming only, 25-30 lawns a week, do I need to worry about accepting credit cards? Please tell me I can skip all this stupid bullcrap! I don't see why they can't just hand me cash or a check at a local bank that I can cash immediately. I really don't want to get into the whole cell phone thing. I really don't want the extra monthly expense.

I read on one site that it is absolutely imperative or mandatory that every small business accept credit cards. WTF man? Really? I like to pay cash most of the time. Especially if it's under $100 I have no problem handing over the cash. I see people at the restaurants & gas station handing over cash all the time. I think it's all a big pile of BS just to get people to sign up for extra monthly expense they don't really need. Like I said, anything to get their hands on your money. F'in parasites!

Am I the only human being alive that realizes that everything was easier, simpler & just flat-out worked better back in the 80's/90's?

Last edited by Darksteel; 03-17-2014 at 08:10 PM.

Stop guess-timating. Learn how to estimate and make money! $$$
Mow Time Estimator Lawn Care Price Estimator Mulch and Topsoil Calculator Snow Plow Estimate Calculator

Old 03-17-2014, 08:47 PM

TamMik is on a distinguished road

Lawn care business tipsLawn Care Business Book
If your going to be operating the way you say you are,Then I'd say No. You don't have to accept credit cards. I had a card reader thru intuit and tossed it. I still accept cards but it's done thru paypal and its mostly as a convienience thing for some of my clients should they choose to use it.Go with what you feel is comfortable for you and your business.
Old 03-17-2014, 08:50 PM

JacobsLawnMowing is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Cash or Check is fine

the only extra business you might get is someone has their lawn mower in the shop and wants to have their lawn mowed one time only but doesnt have the extra money so they would put it on their card, people have suggested square or paypal I have heard square is not as expensive, but for god sakes dont accept paypal they are not your pal they will put you out of business with their fee's. and as far as a cell phone the advantage is people can get ahold of you alot easier and you will get more business because no matter how good you voicemail message urging customers to leave a message your potential customers will continue to call other places and if you dont get back to them quickly enough someone else will get their business, and getting a cell phone may be cheaper than you think, I have a straight talk phone with unlimited minutes, text, data and 411 for $45 ($50 after tax) and the homephone service provided by the local phone company was $60 for local calls only and I could have got 1000 minutes of long distance (anyone calling outside your zip code) for an Extra $50, So $110 for a home phone with limited minutes or unlimited everything cell phone for $50 a month, and the cost to buy a basic cell phone was no more than buying a new homephone.
Old 03-17-2014, 09:34 PM

kslawn is on a distinguished road

I use Square and love it. Its not that expensive at all, they charge a $10 fee and reimburse you almost immediately. You do need a phone and I don't know how you could go without one now days but they do have cheap ones so there not that bad and a good asset to have. The benefits to accepting credit cards is for the customer as well as you, at least in my case. Its great to be able to accept payments and not have to run to the bank to make deposits, and it saves me time and money doing it that way. They charge 2.75% per swipe, but the traveling and time out of my day running to the bank is far more than the cost of accepting CC payments and far more convenient. Another thing for me is a lot of government accounts (post offices etc) pay by credit card only, and you must comply or they will replace you with someone who accepts them. But to each his own, if you don't think you need them now then don't worry about it for now.

Last edited by kslawn; 03-17-2014 at 09:36 PM.
Old 03-17-2014, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kslawn View Post
You do need a phone and I don't know how you could go without one now days .
See? I don't understand why people need them so badly. The only reason I see for having a mobile phone is if you break down out in the middle of nowhere or if your wife/girlfriend is going into labor. Otherwise WTF is so important that it can't wait til you get home? I friggin hate walking around a store listening to a total stranger's half of a conversation. I want to tell them to STFU & take it outside. They're just so annoying, rude & obnoxious. I don't know which is worse, second hand smoke or being forced to listen to some loud obnoxious a-hole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacobsLawnMowing View Post
and as far as a cell phone the advantage is people can get ahold of you alot easier and you will get more business because no matter how good you voicemail message urging customers to leave a message your potential customers will continue to call other places and if you dont get back to them quickly enough someone else will get their business

I have a $14 Virgin Mobile Pay Lo phone. I haven't used it yet but I can easily put $20 on it whenever I want. Nothing fancy but should be good enough just for customers. It would be nice if I could use Square with it but I can't. Knowing my luck the only time anybody will call is when I'm on the mower, sleeping or taking a dump so I'll miss the call anyway. I swear the only time I ever get phone calls is when I'm not available to take the call. I could be sitting right next the phone for hours playing my Xbox & it will never ring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacobsLawnMowing View Post
and getting a cell phone may be cheaper than you think, I have a straight talk phone with unlimited minutes, text, data and 411 for $45 ($50 after tax) and the homephone service provided by the local phone company was $60 for local calls only and I could have got 1000 minutes of long distance (anyone calling outside your zip code) for an Extra $50, So $110 for a home phone with limited minutes or unlimited everything cell phone for $50 a month, and the cost to buy a basic cell phone was no more than buying a new homephone.
You ever hear of Ooma? I was thinking about trying that out next month. Totally FREE phone. You buy the device & hook it up to your high speed internet & never have to pay for phone again. Since my internet company keeps jacking the price up every month I was going to drop the DSL & switch to cable internet & get the Ooma phone for free. Then my monthly bill should be only $40 for the internet. If I use the Pay Lo phone my phone bill will only be $20 a month.

Last edited by Darksteel; 03-17-2014 at 10:47 PM.
Old 03-17-2014, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamMik View Post
If your going to be operating the way you say you are,Then I'd say No. You don't have to accept credit cards. I had a card reader thru intuit and tossed it. I still accept cards but it's done thru paypal and its mostly as a convienience thing for some of my clients should they choose to use it.Go with what you feel is comfortable for you and your business.

Sounds good! I don't know if it's only in this area but people usually use cash when face to face. I've been selling a lot of stuff on Craigslist lately & everybody shoves a wad of cash my way. I just sold a treadmill this past Saturday & the woman handed me $200 cash. When I go to the local toy shops or comic shows to sell stuff everybody hands me cash. I was mowing a couple yards a couple years ago & nobody ever mentioned credit cards, it was just cash or check. I'd like to keep it that way. I have to be as cheap as possible & keep my costs down.

Last edited by Darksteel; 03-17-2014 at 11:10 PM.
Old 03-18-2014, 06:53 AM

Billy Goat is on a distinguished road

In your case the best thing to do is get a PayPal account for those who prefer to pay by credit/debit card. Simply invoice them via email and they can pay with their card. Your customers do not have to be a member of PayPal, they would pay as a non-member. The only down fall is the processing fee around is 3% or so. Once you receive the money in PayPal account you can easily transfer funds to your personal/business checking account. Normally it takes 3 business days to transfer funds.
Old 03-18-2014, 07:28 AM

kslawn is on a distinguished road

You sound a lot like my older brother..lol He complains about technology all the time. Sounds like you have made your mind up about phones and accepting credit card payments before you started this thread. The facts are you are going to see that eventually you will have to use at some time or another, some kind of phone for your business and a computer and you may even have to accept a few payments by credit cards as your business grows. Its simply the convenience of having these things. The phone is a give in, everyone in business should have one. The computer, well although not a must have, its very useful and a very good tool to have. The ability to bill someone out then and there is great no matter if you are handing them a paper invoice or collecting by credit card or just simply get cash. My point, and the answer to your question: Its the simple convenience of businesses having these things is to be able to be more efficient and run their business smoothly. As for our customers, well its a convenience to them as well I suppose to pay by credit card. As much as we all would like to get paid cash every time we do something for someone, its just not going to happen that way all the time. Your going to find that not everyone wants to pay by cash just because you prefer it that way. Are you going to drop the service you provide to them because they want to pay this way instead of that way. If they are paying you by any means, then there shouldn't be any problems. I'm not bashing or trying to give you a hard time here, but just answering the question pertaining to the original post. By using the Square Reader for CC payments, I have my payment in my account the very next day, unless I swipe it on a Friday after 4:00 pm, then its in my account by Monday.

Last edited by kslawn; 03-18-2014 at 07:32 AM.
Old 03-18-2014, 10:20 AM

Dan Tanner is on a distinguished road

Paypal seems safer for those concerned about card security and easy for you
Old 03-18-2014, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Sounds like you have made your mind up about phones and accepting credit card payments before you started this thread.
No, definitely not. I've made up my mind that I despise cell phones but that's about it. But I'll get one if I absolutely need one. Right now I'm looking for input so I can weigh my options.

Quote:
If they are paying you by any means, then there shouldn't be any problems.
The problem is the extra expense & headache. Cell phones should be optional, if you want want fine, get one. 99% of the people that swear they can't live without one really don't need one at all. Wants vs. needs. But don't force them on everybody. Just like Obamacare, most young people don't need or use medical insurance so don't force that sh1t on us! If senior citizens need medical insurance then fine, let them get it. But don't make it a damn law for everybody. "Free country" my a$$! What freedom?

When I first started this thread Paypal wasn't an option. I use ebay & Paypal all the time but I've had bad experiences with both. I've learned (the hard way) to only use them for buying & never selling. They support the buyers 100% & piss on the sellers. But after reading some of the posts in this thread I've changed my mind. I'll push the cash & checks but if I get a couple guys that insist on credit cards then I can use Paypal as a last resort. That's my solution right there. Didn't even think of it before I started this thread. That way I don't have to bother with a stupid friggin cell phone & everybody is happy. God how I despise cell phones & our society of mindless drone zombies that can't put them down for 2 seconds.