Lawn Care Business Forum Lawn Care Business Book Lawn Care Business Blog Lawn Care Software
Home Forum Contract & Flyer Templates Blog Software Videos Podcast Calculators / Estimators Store Mower Review Design It Yourself Lawn Business School

Go Back   GopherHaul Landscaping & Lawn Care Business Marketing Forum > Just starting your lawn care or landscaping business? > Introduce Yourself

Introduce Yourself Welcome all new forum members. Please introduce yourself and tell us about you. Tell us about your company. How did you get started? How long have you been in business? What do you do for fun? Don't be shy, say hello! It's fun and educational to interact on the forum!

Say Hello !!!


Introduce Yourself

Welcome all new forum members. Please introduce yourself and tell us about you. Tell us about your company. How did you get started? How long have you been in business? What do you do for fun? Don't be shy, say hello! It's fun and educational to interact on the forum!
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #641  
Old 02-21-2010, 08:37 PM
sjradig
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Hi

My friend and I are both in college and working at a Grocery Store. The store hires WAY too many people in the summer and we only get like 10 hrs. a week but during the school year we get 20-30.

The company recently put a used van for sale and we thought we could put a trailer on the back, buy a couple mowers (his great-grandfather buys them at auctions and fixes them up) and start a Lawn Mowing business. We didn't get the van because the bidding went higher than our budget allowed. Right now we're just saving money and thinking about what other services to offer.

Ideally we just want to mow lawns and that's it but I recognize that's not going to cut it (no pun intended). We're not sure which other services to offer that are relatively simple to learn and perform. Suggestions with details would be appreciated.


I'm finding the website very helpful and I'm working on the Lawn School Lessons everyday. The logo creator was also very helpful. Thank you! I think it would be more helpful if there was a section added to the Lawn School that introduces and explains the services typically offered by LCO's like fertilization, aeration, dethatching...etc.



Steve

Last edited by sjradig; 02-21-2010 at 08:42 PM.
Reply With Quote

Stop guess-timating. Learn how to estimate and make money! $$$
Mow Time Estimator Lawn Care Price Estimator Mulch and Topsoil Calculator Snow Plow Estimate Calculator


  #642  
Old 02-22-2010, 08:29 AM
Steve's Avatar
Steve Steve is online now
Administrator
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 37,970
Rep Power: 10
Steve has disabled reputation
Default

Hi,

Welcome to our forum!

Why not try and keep it simple initially and simply focus on mowing? Get the gears of your business to spin and as you get more comfortable with it, add more services?
__________________
- Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.
Reply With Quote
  #643  
Old 02-23-2010, 10:51 AM
greenandgreener
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default New Business what about taxes?

Hey steve, So I been doing alotof reading on how to market a business and all, but recently I got something in the mail that is for doin deposits for IRS taxes. I just dont know how to go about it? Rite now I only have little jobs on the weekends. and I work only about 6 times in the whole month. So how do I know how much of taxes i need to pay.. What do you recommend?
Reply With Quote
  #644  
Old 02-24-2010, 10:21 AM
Steve's Avatar
Steve Steve is online now
Administrator
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 37,970
Rep Power: 10
Steve has disabled reputation
Default

Well, make as much as you can and talk to an accountant.

But if you are just doing things on a small scale, you probably could figure it out yourself and do your own taxes if you really wanted to.

Any income you take in is added to your income you make from work. You will probably have to pay estimated quarterly taxes, but that is no big deal. I am thinking that is what you meant in your previous post that you got something from the irs?
__________________
- Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.
Reply With Quote
  #645  
Old 02-24-2010, 01:26 PM
greenandgreener
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Well, make as much as you can and talk to an accountant.

But if you are just doing things on a small scale, you probably could figure it out yourself and do your own taxes if you really wanted to.

Any income you take in is added to your income you make from work. You will probably have to pay estimated quarterly taxes, but that is no big deal. I am thinking that is what you meant in your previous post that you got something from the irs?
ok, so you say i will have to pay quarterly taxes, how do i know how much i have to pay? and from where am I suppose to know how much i made in all? Im working by myself, so i dnt have any employess. I do have a business acct. Do you suggested I put everything in that acct? but then where will the money im making from the business be? Im so lost.. and I just started I dont have money to pay an acct for a consultation.. I kinda want to kno what im talkin about before I go see one.. Thanks so much for such a fast reply=)
Reply With Quote
  #646  
Old 02-25-2010, 10:20 AM
Steve's Avatar
Steve Steve is online now
Administrator
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 37,970
Rep Power: 10
Steve has disabled reputation
Default

As far as I know the first year you don't have to pay the estimated quarterly taxes because you have no way of knowing what they would be, so you pay it at the end of tax season. Then the following years you pay based on a % of what you made in the last year.

A tax preparer will explain this to you and it is really simple.

Quote:
I do have a business acct. Do you suggested I put everything in that acct?
Ideally you want to keep your business and your personal finances separate. So yes you want to put all your business money in your business account and then pay yourself a salary from your profits.

Quote:
but then where will the money im making from the business be?
Customers will pay their bill to you in the form of a check possibly that you will deposit in your business account. From that you can pay your expenses including your salary.
__________________
- Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.
Reply With Quote
  #647  
Old 02-25-2010, 11:22 AM
greenandgreener
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
As far as I know the first year you don't have to pay the estimated quarterly taxes because you have no way of knowing what they would be, so you pay it at the end of tax season. Then the following years you pay based on a % of what you made in the last year.

A tax preparer will explain this to you and it is really simple.



Ideally you want to keep your business and your personal finances separate. So yes you want to put all your business money in your business account and then pay yourself a salary from your profits.



Customers will pay their bill to you in the form of a check possibly that you will deposit in your business account. From that you can pay your expenses including your salary.
Wow, this makes soo much sense, Thank you. If I do pay myself from the bus. acct, would I have to consider myself an employee? and I think I will have to go to an accountant. Do you know what I need to take? What exactly happens at a meeting with an accountant?
Reply With Quote
  #648  
Old 02-26-2010, 10:20 AM
Steve's Avatar
Steve Steve is online now
Administrator
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 37,970
Rep Power: 10
Steve has disabled reputation
Default

Quote:
Wow, this makes soo much sense, Thank you. If I do pay myself from the bus. acct, would I have to consider myself an employee? and I think I will have to go to an accountant. Do you know what I need to take? What exactly happens at a meeting with an accountant?
I have seen a lot of different views on this. One view would be your salary should be the first expense you pay each month or every two weeks or whatever frequency you decide to go with. Every other bill can wait until after you get paid. The theory behind that being that if you are not personally making money from your labor, it's pointless to continue.

On the other hand I have seen many others who take all the money they can and plow it back into the business so they can upgrade and improve. However you can only do this if you have another source of income.

Would you pay yourself like an employee? You can. Or you can say here are my expenses and anything I make over that is my salary.

If you go and visit an accountant now, you really won't have much to take with you initially except your plan of what you want to do. With their help you will get yourself running straight and realize you can't spend everything you take in. You need to have some kind of an idea how much you will be paying in taxes, otherwise you will be shocked at the end of the year when you spent everything and your tax bill is HUGE.

Keep us posted on how it all goes.
__________________
- Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.
Reply With Quote
  #649  
Old 02-26-2010, 12:08 PM
greenandgreener
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
I have seen a lot of different views on this. One view would be your salary should be the first expense you pay each month or every two weeks or whatever frequency you decide to go with. Every other bill can wait until after you get paid. The theory behind that being that if you are not personally making money from your labor, it's pointless to continue.

On the other hand I have seen many others who take all the money they can and plow it back into the business so they can upgrade and improve. However you can only do this if you have another source of income.

Would you pay yourself like an employee? You can. Or you can say here are my expenses and anything I make over that is my salary.

If you go and visit an accountant now, you really won't have much to take with you initially except your plan of what you want to do. With their help you will get yourself running straight and realize you can't spend everything you take in. You need to have some kind of an idea how much you will be paying in taxes, otherwise you will be shocked at the end of the year when you spent everything and your tax bill is HUGE.

Keep us posted on how it all goes.
Thanx, now a curiosity I do have is what types of things does IRS consider to be a tax deductable for a business. What would you recommend that I keep as in receipts?
Reply With Quote
  #650  
Old 02-27-2010, 10:40 AM
Steve's Avatar
Steve Steve is online now
Administrator
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 37,970
Rep Power: 10
Steve has disabled reputation
Default

This is another place where the accountant will come in handy. Keep all your receipts and organize them into different categories. Then you can present them at the end of the year and have the accountant tell you what is useful and what isn't.
__________________
- Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump

» Recent Threads
  RatingTitle, Username, & Date Last Post Replies Views
Hello Everyone
JohnsLawnCare
06-22-2016 11:14 AM
Yesterday 09:38 AM
by SC93
9 169
Newbie
Jhoell
Yesterday 03:28 AM
Yesterday 03:28 AM
by Jhoell
0 36
Business Overload
Chilehead
05-06-2016 09:27 PM
Yesterday 01:27 AM
by SC93
14 709
Firefighter gone Lawn...
Firehouselawn@hotmail.com
03-10-2016 04:50 PM
06-24-2016 07:26 PM
by acrajchel
9 10,085
Exmark Turf Tracer
acrajchel
02-01-2014 11:34 AM
06-24-2016 07:23 PM
by acrajchel
5 2,114
Rubber mulch...
avetslawncare
06-24-2015 09:28 PM
06-24-2016 06:59 PM
by acrajchel
7 3,022
3 Applications or 5...
stansg1fresh
02-18-2013 12:02 PM
06-24-2016 06:48 PM
by acrajchel
2 1,375
Checmial Applications
acrajchel
06-24-2016 06:44 PM
06-24-2016 06:44 PM
by acrajchel
0 35
Ybravo 25 mowers
SGL1
06-11-2016 09:52 AM
06-21-2016 03:44 PM
by acrajchel
5 278
Great Arborist Ladder
SGL1
06-04-2016 09:56 AM
06-17-2016 08:46 AM
by SGL1
10 369
Help a Brother Out -...
Hedgemaster
01-23-2012 04:19 PM
06-17-2016 08:28 AM
by SGL1
94 34,428
Best Push Mower You Have...
markty
05-14-2016 03:46 PM
06-17-2016 06:08 AM
by SGL1
20 829
anyone interested in a...
GoGreenerKS
06-16-2016 01:00 PM
06-17-2016 02:58 AM
by SC93
4 162
Prolin
rmccutchan
05-21-2016 04:53 PM
06-16-2016 05:28 PM
by acrajchel
3 319
Laying new grass, Sod...
WarriorLandscapingCAN
05-23-2016 10:07 AM
06-16-2016 05:27 PM
by acrajchel
2 310
Is it too late?
Cpadgett
05-28-2016 09:10 AM
06-16-2016 05:24 PM
by acrajchel
6 423
Upgraded to a new mower
Stevenor92
05-17-2016 08:17 PM
06-16-2016 05:22 PM
by acrajchel
9 534
How can I fix my...
WarriorLandscapingCAN
06-10-2016 07:47 PM
06-16-2016 05:19 PM
by acrajchel
2 220
Need a lil help
Cpadgett
06-05-2016 09:51 AM
06-16-2016 05:17 PM
by acrajchel
5 349
help with sole...
greenbuds
03-24-2016 12:21 PM
06-16-2016 05:01 PM
by acrajchel
4 9,741
New Member from...
tiptoppmanager
06-15-2016 07:39 AM
06-15-2016 03:18 PM
by SC93
2 160
Say Hello !!!
Steve
03-19-2007 11:18 AM
06-14-2016 08:16 AM
by poppyanne
1,252 437,883
Brand new fish pond
Flynn landscaping 2016
06-12-2016 09:53 AM
06-13-2016 11:21 AM
by Steve
1 138
Whats up??
Cpadgett
05-27-2016 10:57 AM
06-06-2016 08:46 PM
by Cpadgett
11 494
New Member from Texas
NathanR
06-02-2016 06:13 PM
06-03-2016 09:17 PM
by SC93
7 317
Edging Fad...
Tree geek
05-10-2016 11:29 PM
06-03-2016 07:02 PM
by SGL1
3 487
To mow weekly or Biweekly
WarriorLandscapingCAN
05-11-2016 04:09 PM
06-03-2016 06:42 PM
by SGL1
11 765
Your Time Lawn Care
yourtimelawncare
05-31-2016 01:12 PM
06-02-2016 10:11 PM
by SC93
2 282
» Popular Tags
become an entrepreneur best mower be your own boss break business education business help business management contractor hacks deck lift dethatcher edging entrepreneur entrepreneur education estimates fuel problems fuel pump half moon blade hydro jjandm lawncare l.t.rich landscape landscape design landscaping landscaping design company landscaping richmond va landscping lawncare lawn mowing lawnservice lowering grade marketing mulch new business planting plowing raising grade residential lawn care richmond va richmond virginia lawn care roundup safety scag snowblower snow plowing snow shovel solo solo backpack sprayer sprayer start a business start a lawn care business start business start up swzt toro timecutter tree tree pics tree service video walk behind what to charge work from home z-max z-spray
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.1.0

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:32 PM.


(C) 2011 Riggs Publications - Terms of use & Privacy Policy

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:32 PM.

(C) 2011 Riggs Publications - Terms of use & Privacy Policy