Lawn Care Business Forum Lawn Care Business Book Lawn Care Business Blog Lawn Care Software
Home Forum Contract & Flyer Templates Blog Software Videos Podcast Calculators / Estimators Store Mower Review Design It Yourself Lawn Business School

Go Back   GopherHaul Landscaping & Lawn Care Business Marketing Forum > Just starting your lawn care or landscaping business? > Introduce Yourself

Introduce Yourself Welcome all new forum members. Please introduce yourself and tell us about you. Tell us about your company. How did you get started? How long have you been in business? What do you do for fun? Don't be shy, say hello! It's fun and educational to interact on the forum!

A question for more experienced lawn services.


Introduce Yourself

Welcome all new forum members. Please introduce yourself and tell us about you. Tell us about your company. How did you get started? How long have you been in business? What do you do for fun? Don't be shy, say hello! It's fun and educational to interact on the forum!
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 07-19-2007, 06:00 PM
Clean Lawn Clean Lawn is offline
Members
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 124
Rep Power: 8
Clean Lawn
Default

Greetings everyone. I am Rhonda Solomon and I am one of the newer lawn services and landscaping companies to the Hampton Roads area. One gentleman from a more experienced lawn service company was very kind to me as I am just starting out and sent me a copy of 'Start & Run a Landscape Business' by Joel LaRusic. This book has been incredible. I am finding so many wonderful and exciting things about the industry I didn't know and also some really really really great ideas! I am a creative person in the sense that if I can make it, then I do and this shows in things around my home for Christmas (for example). I have created X-Mas wreaths for friends and families, christmas cards, hand crochetted snow flakes that are hung on my x-mas tree and windows but needless to say...I started creating some business "thank you cards" for all my new customers for CleanLawn. I will take some pictures and have my husband show me how to post them so I can get everyones opinions on them. Anyhow again off subject and getting back to it, I saw the Newsletter section of the book. Well I wanted to know how many professional lawn services actually have created their own Newslletter for their clients and if they have can you give me ideas on things you have put into the Newsletters.
Some of the other things I have considered for my business I would like to gain the opinions of experienced professionals on these ideas also please.
Referal service- I give new and existing customers 5 business cards at a time with their names hand written on the back (my handwritting is very unique so I know when its mine) and for each card that is returned to me that someone signs up for a service I give that customer a $5.00 credit. I don't limit to the amount of service that can be refered to us but obviously the same person should not keep coming back every week with a business card from the same customer.
I give a 10% discount on all accounts paid in full before the next month of service begins (up till the 5th day of the month).
I want to encourage my clients to continue to refer people to CleanLawn and am looking for more ways but running a little dry on the ideas.
I am considering offering a senior citizen discount and was curious if any other business' offered this and if they did how much of a discount they gave?
Hampton Roads is a enormous military area and I considered giving a 10% military discount but my husband says no because the military get discounts in this area all the time. Any thoughts on this one?
I am considering creating business signs that can be stuck into the ground in clients yards that might help the business gain more potential clients. I would of course give incentive for my clients to allow me to keep the sign in their yards for short periods of time and would in no way allow a tasteless sign to be created and put in my clients yards. Does anyone do this or have tried in it in the past?
This idea would not go into effect until next year because my business did not start until the middle of last month. I wanted to offer a CleanLawn lawn/garden of the year for my CleanLawn customers and give the winner a $100-$150.00 gift certificate to one of the local nurseries. Has anyone ever tried anything like this?
I am also open to other ideas if anyone can or wants to throw any out there in this posting section.
Lastly, back to the Newsletter. Something I have also considered for the Newsletter would be eventually to turn it into a newsletter (not just for my clients but for everyone) and offer advertising on it and start in a couple of neighborhoods with my clients and keep allowing it to grow to cover the greater hampton roads area in Virginia but perhaps it could have ads and interviews with different companies in this area that have something unique about them or something they do.
Anyhow I would love as much imput as possible and some suggestions if something you have thought about seems like a good idea or have tried that went over very well.
Thank you everyone in advance. I really appreciate everything.
Reply With Quote

Stop guess-timating. Learn how to estimate and make money! $$$
Mow Time Estimator Lawn Care Price Estimator Mulch and Topsoil Calculator Snow Plow Estimate Calculator


  #2  
Old 07-19-2007, 07:09 PM
Steve's Avatar
Steve Steve is online now
Administrator
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 36,431
Rep Power: 10
Steve has disabled reputation
Default

Lawn care business tipsLawn Care Business Book
Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]Greetings everyone. I am Rhonda Solomon and I am one of the newer lawn services and landscaping companies to the Hampton Roads area. One gentleman from a more experienced lawn service company was very kind to me as I am just starting out and sent me a copy of 'Start & Run a Landscape Business' by Joel LaRusic. This book has been incredible. I am finding so many wonderful and exciting things about the industry I didn't know and also some really really really great ideas!
Did you know we have a podcast interview with the author? Listening to it might give you more ideas.

Scroll down to see the podcast "Interview with lawn care business owner and author Joel LaRusic"
http://odeo.com/channel/412313/view/1

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]I am a creative person in the sense that if I can make it, then I do and this shows in things around my home for Christmas (for example). I have created X-Mas wreaths for friends and families, christmas cards, hand crochetted snow flakes that are hung on my x-mas tree and windows but needless to say...I started creating some business "thank you cards" for all my new customers for CleanLawn. I will take some pictures and have my husband show me how to post them so I can get everyones opinions on them.
I look forwards to seeing them. If you can't figure out how to post pictures, email them to us at support@gophersoftware.com and we will get them online for you.


Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]Anyhow again off subject and getting back to it, I saw the Newsletter section of the book. Well I wanted to know how many professional lawn services actually have created their own Newslletter for their clients and if they have can you give me ideas on things you have put into the Newsletters.
Have you seen this free newsletter you can download? I think putting together a newsletter can be time intensive. I don't think too many new lawn care operations use them, but if you have the time to experiment, why not try it out? Come up with some seasonal ideas. Search the internet for other newsletter concepts and maybe that will help get you going.


Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]Some of the other things I have considered for my business I would like to gain the opinions of experienced professionals on these ideas also please.
Referal service- I give new and existing customers 5 business cards at a time with their names hand written on the back (my handwritting is very unique so I know when its mine) and for each card that is returned to me that someone signs up for a service I give that customer a $5.00 credit. I don't limit to the amount of service that can be refered to us but obviously the same person should not keep coming back every week with a business card from the same customer.
I give a 10% discount on all accounts paid in full before the next month of service begins (up till the 5th day of the month).
I want to encourage my clients to continue to refer people to CleanLawn and am looking for more ways but running a little dry on the ideas.
Check out these posts, they may give you referal ideas.
http://www.gophergraphics.com/forum....;t=5061
http://www.gophergraphics.com/forum....;t=3526

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]I am considering offering a senior citizen discount and was curious if any other business' offered this and if they did how much of a discount they gave?
Hampton Roads is a enormous military area and I considered giving a 10% military discount but my husband says no because the military get discounts in this area all the time. Any thoughts on this one?
It could be a good way to get military members to sign up. Maybe try it out with a limited time coupon in a flyer?
__________________
- Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump

» Recent Threads
  RatingTitle, Username, & Date Last Post Replies Views
Incorporating &...
WesleySnips
Yesterday 09:39 PM
Today 08:06 AM
by ExtremeLawncareServices
2 77
Looking for feed back on...
ExtremeLawncareServices
09-17-2014 08:38 AM
Today 07:57 AM
by ExtremeLawncareServices
11 1,167
Hello from Kentucky
TRV
09-30-2014 05:42 PM
Yesterday 09:21 PM
by TRV
3 165
Mowing the hills
EyeCatchersNow
07-08-2014 12:22 PM
Yesterday 05:57 PM
by Steve
21 1,881
Real Estate??
tbtigers03
09-30-2014 06:43 PM
Yesterday 05:01 PM
by stevef1201
5 222
John Deere z235 Deck
WesleySnips
09-29-2014 06:02 PM
Yesterday 04:38 PM
by WesleySnips
5 267
Sprinkler head guards...
Sprinkler Buddy
09-27-2014 04:55 AM
Yesterday 02:50 PM
by Sprinkler Buddy
6 465
Look out Bob Villa -...
Mr Dave
09-30-2014 10:06 AM
Yesterday 02:19 PM
by Steve
5 236
Question?what should I...
dalvan0
09-24-2014 11:10 PM
Yesterday 01:39 PM
by Steve
17 853
Whe does Mowing season...
jack2048
09-30-2014 07:05 AM
Yesterday 01:38 PM
by jack2048
4 232
Kohler command carb...
ExtremeLawncareServices
09-21-2014 03:09 PM
Yesterday 01:30 PM
by Steve
26 1,194
Help a brother...
tbtigers03
09-28-2014 11:41 AM
Yesterday 01:26 PM
by Steve
7 417
Give Me Your Problems
ellakit
09-30-2014 04:10 PM
09-30-2014 04:10 PM
by ellakit
0 17
Say Hello !!!
Steve
03-19-2007 11:18 AM
09-30-2014 03:53 PM
by ellakit
1,188 336,336
Falling into business
stellarmowing
09-28-2014 04:35 PM
09-30-2014 02:17 PM
by Steve
4 378
hey
sizemorelawncare
09-28-2014 08:12 PM
09-29-2014 03:10 PM
by Steve
2 303
Update on LawnsAway and...
Ian Lovejoy
09-28-2014 10:24 AM
09-29-2014 03:09 PM
by Steve
2 356
Need to figure out how...
tjslawnde
09-28-2014 10:31 AM
09-29-2014 03:05 PM
by Steve
4 372
Aerocore Deck?
wdrdoctor
09-26-2014 06:21 PM
09-29-2014 02:36 PM
by Steve
3 490
Hello from CNY
arazucontracting
09-22-2014 06:07 PM
09-29-2014 02:33 PM
by Steve
3 749
How to price lawn mowing.
jack2048
09-24-2014 04:18 PM
09-29-2014 02:27 PM
by Steve
4 609
Pricing ????
6295danny
01-14-2013 07:54 PM
09-29-2014 02:22 PM
by Steve
35 6,621
30 Inch Push Mowers Pros...
Billy Goat
06-27-2013 08:07 PM
09-27-2014 04:11 PM
by SGL1
30 7,152
Replacing a Shindi T-27
Dan Tanner
09-13-2014 12:59 PM
09-26-2014 04:16 PM
by stevef1201
5 1,129
These are the days on...
ExtremeLawncareServices
03-22-2014 09:12 AM
09-25-2014 08:01 AM
by ExtremeLawncareServices
124 9,362
Trying something new,...
ExtremeLawncareServices
09-21-2014 09:07 PM
09-23-2014 11:13 AM
by Steve
4 842
This sucks...
Matther777
09-18-2014 04:56 PM
09-22-2014 08:02 PM
by ExtremeLawncareServices
11 1,217
Not sure, but anyone do...
SnowRemoval2k14
09-22-2014 12:10 AM
09-22-2014 04:49 PM
by Steve
1 787
Tribulations of working...
stevef1201
09-13-2014 08:37 AM
09-22-2014 04:45 PM
by Steve
9 1,115
Mulching beds
Bradcook21
09-21-2014 07:43 AM
09-22-2014 04:43 PM
by Steve
3 858
Scag turf tiger hydrolic...
ExtremeLawncareServices
09-04-2014 10:55 PM
09-22-2014 04:35 PM
by Steve
12 1,483
2014 Gie-expo
ExtremeLawncareServices
08-19-2014 11:22 PM
09-21-2014 09:23 PM
by ExtremeLawncareServices
3 1,525
Mowing 7 acres
avetslawncare
08-31-2014 04:24 PM
09-19-2014 03:29 PM
by acrajchel
6 1,738
snowplowing
jshak40
09-01-2014 07:20 AM
09-19-2014 11:49 AM
by Steve
23 2,172
Lowballers scrubs &...
Darksteel
01-13-2014 07:35 AM
09-18-2014 06:32 PM
by Northwoods Outdoors
58 7,561
Hello from upstate NY!
A&MLawn&Snow
09-18-2014 11:19 AM
09-18-2014 04:10 PM
by Sprinkler Buddy
2 950
Price to apply fertilizer
SS.Lawncare
09-15-2014 11:10 AM
09-18-2014 01:16 PM
by Steve
9 1,138
Trailer tires
J.A.S.LawnService
09-01-2014 10:17 AM
09-17-2014 09:57 PM
by curts lawn care
4 1,571
new to the forum
SGlawncare
09-16-2014 11:20 PM
09-17-2014 08:29 PM
by curts lawn care
3 959
Help With Snow Blowing...
Robertf31
09-13-2014 10:55 PM
09-17-2014 12:34 PM
by Steve
11 1,329
Non-Stop Summer?
SouthallMowing
09-14-2014 10:51 PM
09-17-2014 10:48 AM
by stevef1201
6 1,084
Poll - net income
Dan5082
11-15-2010 08:08 PM
09-16-2014 04:44 PM
by jrs.landscaping
12 3,836
Getting lowballed!
PineHillLawn
06-27-2012 07:23 AM
09-16-2014 01:25 PM
by jrs.landscaping
24 5,576
Compare this summer to...
Steve
09-03-2014 12:52 PM
09-16-2014 11:20 AM
by Hanks Lawn Care Services
15 1,763
thinking about throwing...
veteranslawncaresystems
09-09-2014 10:31 PM
09-15-2014 03:41 PM
by Steve
12 1,485
Hello
Robertf31
09-12-2014 10:34 PM
09-15-2014 03:17 PM
by Steve
2 976
Newbie......Again
Jibber
09-13-2014 12:17 PM
09-15-2014 02:54 PM
by Sprinkler Buddy
2 1,102
need help with starter...
GoGreenerKS
09-12-2014 04:23 PM
09-15-2014 02:25 PM
by Steve
3 1,029
Brake job!
kslawn
08-30-2014 07:49 AM
09-15-2014 02:16 PM
by Steve
12 1,847
Hello
jawnebgoode
08-28-2014 08:37 PM
09-15-2014 02:15 PM
by Steve
3 1,572
» Popular Tags
2wd aerocore apartment bid apartment lawn care estimate article marketing bid charge collections subcontractor decorating deliquentaccounts demonstration exmark ferris first truck fundraiser georgia gopherhaul grass gravely hills how much to charge how to hydraulic installation kawasaki landscape services lawn lawn care lawn care busines plan lawn care business podcast lawn care business seo lawn care business show lawn care business website lawn care business website seo lawn care seo lawn care website lawn care website seo leaf removal lighting brass outdoor lights managing a lawn care business marketing mulch estimate new buisness patio install podcast promotion push versus ride redmax savannah scag scag v-ride schedule seo snow snow plowing sprayer starting a business starting a lawn care business start up lawn care business stihl sulky theft of services top dresser toro tractor auger trailer mate pro turfgrass consulting walk behind walker wright stander rh
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.1.0

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:23 AM.


(C) 2011 Riggs Publications - Terms of use & Privacy Policy

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:23 AM.

(C) 2011 Riggs Publications - Terms of use & Privacy Policy