I think a website alone is worthless, unless people can find it to call you.
It's like having a lawn mower, but no gas to put in it and no lawns to mow.
What's the point?
However, if you have a site and the site generates traffic and leads, it's worth A LOT.
Just be careful, some of these "SEO" companies just want to take your money.
Here's something you can do without a website to promote your business online FOR FREE and will generate leads.
You've seen it before, but I can promise you haven't seen it used this way:
1. Create an Ad on Craigslist.
2. Title it "YOUR CITY Lawn Service"
3. Ad can be whatever you want.
4. At the bottom of your ad, insert the following keywords preceded by your city name: YOUR CITY Lawn Service, YOUR CITY Lawn Care, YOUR CITY Commercial Lawn Service, YOUR CITY Commercial Lawn Care
5. Verify/post the ad.
Here's the important part:
6. Copy the CRAIGSLIST link that displays your ad
7. Go to http://pingfarm.com
8. Paste in your craigslist link
9. Click "Mass Ping"
Rinse & Repeat only changing the title.
So you'll create a separate ad with each of the keywords in the title, and repeat 6-9:
YOUR CITY Lawn Service
YOUR CITY Lawn Care
YOUR CITY Commercial Lawn Service
YOUR CITY Commercial Lawn Care
Each ad will be optimized for the keyword, and will most likely show up in google results.
You don't need a website, you just need people to be able to find your info online.
I used this exact process, and my ad shows on page 1 in google, you can see here:
go to google.com
search natchez lawn service
You'll see a craigslist url on the first page with the title:
Natchez Lawn Service ⎷⎛by The Lawn Boy
It's ranked somewhere between 5-7 on page 1 of google, people are finding it and calling.
So, you see, you don't necessarily need a website.