Lawn Care Business Forum Lawn Care Business Book Lawn Care Business Blog Lawn Care Software
Home Forum Contract & Flyer Templates Blog Software Videos Podcast Calculators / Estimators Store Mower Review Design It Yourself Lawn Business School

Go Back   GopherHaul Landscaping & Lawn Care Business Marketing Forum > Just starting your lawn care or landscaping business? > Introduce Yourself

Introduce Yourself Welcome all new forum members. Please introduce yourself and tell us about you. Tell us about your company. How did you get started? How long have you been in business? What do you do for fun? Don't be shy, say hello! It's fun and educational to interact on the forum!

Hello


Introduce Yourself

Welcome all new forum members. Please introduce yourself and tell us about you. Tell us about your company. How did you get started? How long have you been in business? What do you do for fun? Don't be shy, say hello! It's fun and educational to interact on the forum!
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 04-02-2013, 08:39 PM
CDLAWNCARE CDLAWNCARE is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Nisula, MI
Posts: 132
Rep Power: 2
CDLAWNCARE is on a distinguished road
Default Hello

My Name is Chad I started my lawncare and landscaping company 9 years ago. Graduating up for the neighbor kid down the street the mows the lawn. Everyone liked the work I did and I saw more and more interest in it so I decided to jump in with both feet and run with it. The most challenging hurdle for me has been pricing jobs so they are profitable. I didn't have any kind of guidelines on what I should be charging so I just had to wing it. Its been a bumpy road but I have survived so far. A couple years ago I was forced to find a second job in a factory to make ends meat, after a couple slow years. My goal is to re-grow my company and get out of that factory. I dont like working inside, and there is too many limitations on how you can do things. I am used to production and working hard, and nearly everone there works at a snails pace if they do anything at all. I love the lawncare industry though, even more so the landscaping side of it. I love creating beatiful places for people to enjoy. Last year we opened a small nursery, we started off pretty slow but I am hoping this year will be much better.
Reply With Quote

Stop guess-timating. Learn how to estimate and make money! $$$
Mow Time Estimator Lawn Care Price Estimator Mulch and Topsoil Calculator Snow Plow Estimate Calculator


  #2  
Old 04-02-2013, 09:00 PM
GreenBlue's Avatar
GreenBlue GreenBlue is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Kansas
Posts: 248
Rep Power: 2
GreenBlue is on a distinguished road
Default

Lawn care business tipsLawn Care Business Book
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDLAWNCARE View Post
My Name is Chad I started my lawncare and landscaping company 9 years ago. Graduating up for the neighbor kid down the street the mows the lawn. Everyone liked the work I did and I saw more and more interest in it so I decided to jump in with both feet and run with it. The most challenging hurdle for me has been pricing jobs so they are profitable. I didn't have any kind of guidelines on what I should be charging so I just had to wing it. Its been a bumpy road but I have survived so far. A couple years ago I was forced to find a second job in a factory to make ends meat, after a couple slow years. My goal is to re-grow my company and get out of that factory. I dont like working inside, and there is too many limitations on how you can do things. I am used to production and working hard, and nearly everone there works at a snails pace if they do anything at all. I love the lawncare industry though, even more so the landscaping side of it. I love creating beatiful places for people to enjoy. Last year we opened a small nursery, we started off pretty slow but I am hoping this year will be much better.
Welcome to the forum, you will find alot of useful information here and everyone is very helpful. What type of lawn service do you have? What are you going to change differently when you get back into doing the lawn service that you didn't do previously to help you stay successful?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-03-2013, 10:30 AM
CDLAWNCARE CDLAWNCARE is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Nisula, MI
Posts: 132
Rep Power: 2
CDLAWNCARE is on a distinguished road
Default

I have been pushing to become a full service lawn care and landscaping company, or a one stop shop if you will. Spreading out that much can be kind of hectec, but I live in a small rural area with a moderately poor economy. So a large volume of just a couple things is not really in the playbook. I do need to get more organized though so I can schedule my time better. When I first started I would buy equipment with the mindset I was going to grow into it, which I realized not long after was a terrible mistake. Now I have learned its better if I can rent it, to do so until I can justify buying that extra equipment. My biggest problem I still struggle with today is trying to be a nice guy. Both when bidding jobs and with employees. Trying to give someone a deal never works out for me, I am getting better at looking at what its going to cost me to do the job and what I am going to be left with in the end, but its still a work in progress. With employees I try to hard to make sure they have enough work to keep them around, which is good if your trying to retain good employees, but I need to focus on doing it in a way that is best for the company. Last summer for instance, I had a guy that came back to work for the 5th year, and we both knew it was his last because he graduates from college this spring. It really helped having him around to help train the new guy as I already had alot on my plate, but later in the summer he really slowed down and wasn't very productive for the crew anymore. If I would have payed a little more attention and hoped in the truck a little more, I would have seen this sooner and could have lit a fire under him to get a move on or hit the road. I guess its as the saying go, "nice guys always finish last".
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-03-2013, 12:12 PM
Steve's Avatar
Steve Steve is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 36,422
Rep Power: 10
Steve has disabled reputation
Default

Quote:
The most challenging hurdle for me has been pricing jobs so they are profitable. I didn't have any kind of guidelines on what I should be charging so I just had to wing it. Its been a bumpy road but I have survived so far.
Welcome to our forum.

Can you explain to us how you come about a price to charge when you are called to a lawn to mow?

What processes do you take to calculate that price?
__________________
- Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-03-2013, 02:53 PM
SNethercutt SNethercutt is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 202
Rep Power: 2
SNethercutt is on a distinguished road
Default

for pricing mowing jobs, try to be at the same level as those around you or even higher.

75% of residential mowing jobs I bid, I always get told I am $5 or $10 more than the last jose, but that they would rather go with me.

Its all in the way you present yourself to your customers. If you look like you are a clean, neat person they would rather pay you $5 more to keep their yard clean and neat. You show up looking like a slob with the mustard from the hotdog you had at lunch on your shirt, they are expecting to pay a lower price for sloppy work.

Its like what do you expect from a Mercedes vs. Hyundai?

You expect better comfort and quality out of the mercedes, as opposed to the hyundai, and you have to sell yourself on that note.

When i go bid a landscape job, I always have on starched blue jeans and a polo shirt with embroidery. Sometimes i even wear shirts from company i do business with that have their logo on them. And when someone mentions it say, yes we do their property maintenance.

When you go bid job, any job, you have to sell your quality and ability before you even start the work. That means showing people through the way you handle yourself that you are capable of meeting or exceeding their expections on the job site, and as a person.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-03-2013, 05:35 PM
GreenBlue's Avatar
GreenBlue GreenBlue is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Kansas
Posts: 248
Rep Power: 2
GreenBlue is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNethercutt View Post
for pricing mowing jobs, try to be at the same level as those around you or even higher.

75% of residential mowing jobs I bid, I always get told I am $5 or $10 more than the last jose, but that they would rather go with me.

Its all in the way you present yourself to your customers. If you look like you are a clean, neat person they would rather pay you $5 more to keep their yard clean and neat. You show up looking like a slob with the mustard from the hotdog you had at lunch on your shirt, they are expecting to pay a lower price for sloppy work.

Its like what do you expect from a Mercedes vs. Hyundai?

You expect better comfort and quality out of the mercedes, as opposed to the hyundai, and you have to sell yourself on that note.

When i go bid a landscape job, I always have on starched blue jeans and a polo shirt with embroidery. Sometimes i even wear shirts from company i do business with that have their logo on them. And when someone mentions it say, yes we do their property maintenance.

When you go bid job, any job, you have to sell your quality and ability before you even start the work. That means showing people through the way you handle yourself that you are capable of meeting or exceeding their expections on the job site, and as a person.
That's a good way to explain it, all of newbies should hear this one, because this is pretty good advice.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-03-2013, 05:38 PM
GreenBlue's Avatar
GreenBlue GreenBlue is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Kansas
Posts: 248
Rep Power: 2
GreenBlue is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDLAWNCARE View Post
I have been pushing to become a full service lawn care and landscaping company, or a one stop shop if you will. Spreading out that much can be kind of hectec, but I live in a small rural area with a moderately poor economy. So a large volume of just a couple things is not really in the playbook. I do need to get more organized though so I can schedule my time better. When I first started I would buy equipment with the mindset I was going to grow into it, which I realized not long after was a terrible mistake. Now I have learned its better if I can rent it, to do so until I can justify buying that extra equipment. My biggest problem I still struggle with today is trying to be a nice guy. Both when bidding jobs and with employees. Trying to give someone a deal never works out for me, I am getting better at looking at what its going to cost me to do the job and what I am going to be left with in the end, but its still a work in progress. With employees I try to hard to make sure they have enough work to keep them around, which is good if your trying to retain good employees, but I need to focus on doing it in a way that is best for the company. Last summer for instance, I had a guy that came back to work for the 5th year, and we both knew it was his last because he graduates from college this spring. It really helped having him around to help train the new guy as I already had alot on my plate, but later in the summer he really slowed down and wasn't very productive for the crew anymore. If I would have payed a little more attention and hoped in the truck a little more, I would have seen this sooner and could have lit a fire under him to get a move on or hit the road. I guess its as the saying go, "nice guys always finish last".
Keep your head up and think positive, and stay educated and I am sure you will do well this time around. Most important thing though is don't lowball your prices just to get business. Good look to you.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-03-2013, 09:55 PM
CDLAWNCARE CDLAWNCARE is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Nisula, MI
Posts: 132
Rep Power: 2
CDLAWNCARE is on a distinguished road
Default

Can you explain to us how you come about a price to charge when you are called to a lawn to mow?

What processes do you take to calculate that price?


I have always tried to base it on how long I think it will take to mow the property on average, but usually lean more towards how fast I can possibley do it. When I was first getting started I read somewhere the nationwide average was $40/hr so thats what I went with for a couple years but seemed to be headind no where fast. I have since gone up to $45/hr as a base rate for lawn mowing but everything is priced by the job based on how long I think it will take. I have gotten pretty good at judging how long it will take to do a lawn, but still have a few discrepencies every once in a while like yards that are too rolly poly or a bunch of stumps at ground level that take special attention to mow around. We mow every week through out the mowing season which really helped us start in the right direction because the speedy mowing in the dryer part of summer helps make up for spring time when its growing super fast. When I got started some fast growing lawns would get cut every 3-5 days in the spring but there just isn't enough people that are willing or can afford that kind of service in my area, and I cant afford to a special trip into town for a couple small lawns.
I also have a problem with low balling landscaping jobs, not intentionally of course but I have a tendancy to forget certain things that are needed for the job, and dont work enough extra in for unseen problems that may arise.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-04-2013, 05:47 AM
LawnBoy0311 LawnBoy0311 is offline
new member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: East Coast
Posts: 1,169
Rep Power: 0
LawnBoy0311 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDLAWNCARE View Post
Can you explain to us how you come about a price to charge when you are called to a lawn to mow?

What processes do you take to calculate that price?


I have always tried to base it on how long I think it will take to mow the property on average, but usually lean more towards how fast I can possibley do it. When I was first getting started I read somewhere the nationwide average was $40/hr so thats what I went with for a couple years but seemed to be headind no where fast. I have since gone up to $45/hr as a base rate for lawn mowing but everything is priced by the job based on how long I think it will take. I have gotten pretty good at judging how long it will take to do a lawn, but still have a few discrepencies every once in a while like yards that are too rolly poly or a bunch of stumps at ground level that take special attention to mow around. We mow every week through out the mowing season which really helped us start in the right direction because the speedy mowing in the dryer part of summer helps make up for spring time when its growing super fast. When I got started some fast growing lawns would get cut every 3-5 days in the spring but there just isn't enough people that are willing or can afford that kind of service in my area, and I cant afford to a special trip into town for a couple small lawns.
I also have a problem with low balling landscaping jobs, not intentionally of course but I have a tendancy to forget certain things that are needed for the job, and dont work enough extra in for unseen problems that may arise.
I'll try to help you one time. But after you need to deposit money into my paypal account for tips AKA beer money.

The first thing you need to do is know your costs...without them you can't give a realistic estimate. Don't worry what others charge, everyones costs are different. When quoting a job, the easiest way is to go by minute. $1 per minute. You calculate the WHOLE job ( trimming, mowing, blowing, unloading, loading, and drive time). Picture yourself with a 21" push mower going a little faster than usual. How long will that take you????

The reason behind that is any mower you upgrade to will help you go faster, doing more lawns per day, making more per hour, etc. The same is true with a helper. A helper is designed to make you go faster. If a lawn takes you 40 minutes by yourself, and 35 minutes with a helper....it would be time to fire the helper.

Sell your services based on the customer. I offer weekly, every other week, or one time cuts. Everything is priced accordingly. I push for weekly, but some prefer every other week. Cater to your customers.

As for lowballing your jobs, ask us for advice. Theres guys here that have TONS of experience that can help you out. I always found padding my estimate always gives me a little extra to work with incase I underestimated.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04-04-2013, 08:46 AM
CDLAWNCARE CDLAWNCARE is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Nisula, MI
Posts: 132
Rep Power: 2
CDLAWNCARE is on a distinguished road
Default

It very rare that I will allow anything 2 weeks anymore. Cemetary's can usually get away with it because around here they are usually in sandy soil and dont grow very fast. The school that we cut has reduced what I can do because of financial reasons. So we cut it weekly until the end of June then every other week after that, but its just a loosing battle. I have been trying to hold on to them because it is a big account and did pay good for a few years but these last couple seasons have been hard to handle and make money at it.
I do one time cuts for people and even have a couple customers that I cut for before they come up in the spring and after they leave in the fall. I cater to the customer as much as I can but if its 2 weeks they want then they cant afford me because its been nothing but a loosing battle.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump

» Recent Threads
  RatingTitle, Username, & Date Last Post Replies Views
Look out Bob Villa -...
Mr Dave
Yesterday 10:06 AM
Today 07:34 AM
by Mr Dave
4 167
John Deere z235 Deck
WesleySnips
09-29-2014 06:02 PM
Yesterday 08:54 PM
by ExtremeLawncareServices
3 197
Real Estate??
tbtigers03
Yesterday 06:43 PM
Yesterday 08:17 PM
by Sprinkler Buddy
3 128
Question?what should I...
dalvan0
09-24-2014 11:10 PM
Yesterday 08:01 PM
by ExtremeLawncareServices
16 776
Kohler command carb...
ExtremeLawncareServices
09-21-2014 03:09 PM
Yesterday 07:37 PM
by ExtremeLawncareServices
25 1,129
Help a brother...
tbtigers03
09-28-2014 11:41 AM
Yesterday 06:13 PM
by tbtigers03
6 358
Hello from Kentucky
TRV
Yesterday 05:42 PM
Yesterday 05:54 PM
by Sprinkler Buddy
1 94
Sprinkler head guards...
Sprinkler Buddy
09-27-2014 04:55 AM
Yesterday 05:51 PM
by Sprinkler Buddy
4 399
Give Me Your Problems
ellakit
Yesterday 04:10 PM
Yesterday 04:10 PM
by ellakit
0 17
Say Hello !!!
Steve
03-19-2007 11:18 AM
Yesterday 03:53 PM
by ellakit
1,188 336,254
Whe does Mowing season...
jack2048
Yesterday 07:05 AM
Yesterday 02:38 PM
by Steve
3 170
Falling into business
stellarmowing
09-28-2014 04:35 PM
Yesterday 02:17 PM
by Steve
4 324
hey
sizemorelawncare
09-28-2014 08:12 PM
09-29-2014 03:10 PM
by Steve
2 257
Update on LawnsAway and...
Ian Lovejoy
09-28-2014 10:24 AM
09-29-2014 03:09 PM
by Steve
2 312
Need to figure out how...
tjslawnde
09-28-2014 10:31 AM
09-29-2014 03:05 PM
by Steve
4 325
Aerocore Deck?
wdrdoctor
09-26-2014 06:21 PM
09-29-2014 02:36 PM
by Steve
3 452
Hello from CNY
arazucontracting
09-22-2014 06:07 PM
09-29-2014 02:33 PM
by Steve
3 702
How to price lawn mowing.
jack2048
09-24-2014 04:18 PM
09-29-2014 02:27 PM
by Steve
4 551
Pricing ????
6295danny
01-14-2013 07:54 PM
09-29-2014 02:22 PM
by Steve
35 6,575
30 Inch Push Mowers Pros...
Billy Goat
06-27-2013 08:07 PM
09-27-2014 04:11 PM
by SGL1
30 7,085
Replacing a Shindi T-27
Dan Tanner
09-13-2014 12:59 PM
09-26-2014 04:16 PM
by stevef1201
5 1,093
Looking for feed back on...
ExtremeLawncareServices
09-17-2014 08:38 AM
09-25-2014 09:18 AM
by ExtremeLawncareServices
10 1,117
These are the days on...
ExtremeLawncareServices
03-22-2014 09:12 AM
09-25-2014 08:01 AM
by ExtremeLawncareServices
124 9,313
Trying something new,...
ExtremeLawncareServices
09-21-2014 09:07 PM
09-23-2014 11:13 AM
by Steve
4 799
This sucks...
Matther777
09-18-2014 04:56 PM
09-22-2014 08:02 PM
by ExtremeLawncareServices
11 1,177
Not sure, but anyone do...
SnowRemoval2k14
09-22-2014 12:10 AM
09-22-2014 04:49 PM
by Steve
1 741
Tribulations of working...
stevef1201
09-13-2014 08:37 AM
09-22-2014 04:45 PM
by Steve
9 1,074
Mulching beds
Bradcook21
09-21-2014 07:43 AM
09-22-2014 04:43 PM
by Steve
3 816
Scag turf tiger hydrolic...
ExtremeLawncareServices
09-04-2014 10:55 PM
09-22-2014 04:35 PM
by Steve
12 1,444
2014 Gie-expo
ExtremeLawncareServices
08-19-2014 11:22 PM
09-21-2014 09:23 PM
by ExtremeLawncareServices
3 1,468
Mowing 7 acres
avetslawncare
08-31-2014 04:24 PM
09-19-2014 03:29 PM
by acrajchel
6 1,687
snowplowing
jshak40
09-01-2014 07:20 AM
09-19-2014 11:49 AM
by Steve
23 2,119
Lowballers scrubs &...
Darksteel
01-13-2014 07:35 AM
09-18-2014 06:32 PM
by Northwoods Outdoors
58 7,516
Hello from upstate NY!
A&MLawn&Snow
09-18-2014 11:19 AM
09-18-2014 04:10 PM
by Sprinkler Buddy
2 914
Price to apply fertilizer
SS.Lawncare
09-15-2014 11:10 AM
09-18-2014 01:16 PM
by Steve
9 1,096
Trailer tires
J.A.S.LawnService
09-01-2014 10:17 AM
09-17-2014 09:57 PM
by curts lawn care
4 1,527
new to the forum
SGlawncare
09-16-2014 11:20 PM
09-17-2014 08:29 PM
by curts lawn care
3 926
Help With Snow Blowing...
Robertf31
09-13-2014 10:55 PM
09-17-2014 12:34 PM
by Steve
11 1,290
Non-Stop Summer?
SouthallMowing
09-14-2014 10:51 PM
09-17-2014 10:48 AM
by stevef1201
6 1,042
Poll - net income
Dan5082
11-15-2010 08:08 PM
09-16-2014 04:44 PM
by jrs.landscaping
12 3,797
Getting lowballed!
PineHillLawn
06-27-2012 07:23 AM
09-16-2014 01:25 PM
by jrs.landscaping
24 5,536
Compare this summer to...
Steve
09-03-2014 12:52 PM
09-16-2014 11:20 AM
by Hanks Lawn Care Services
15 1,716
thinking about throwing...
veteranslawncaresystems
09-09-2014 10:31 PM
09-15-2014 03:41 PM
by Steve
12 1,442
Hello
Robertf31
09-12-2014 10:34 PM
09-15-2014 03:17 PM
by Steve
2 937
Newbie......Again
Jibber
09-13-2014 12:17 PM
09-15-2014 02:54 PM
by Sprinkler Buddy
2 1,065
need help with starter...
GoGreenerKS
09-12-2014 04:23 PM
09-15-2014 02:25 PM
by Steve
3 985
Brake job!
kslawn
08-30-2014 07:49 AM
09-15-2014 02:16 PM
by Steve
12 1,789
Hello
jawnebgoode
08-28-2014 08:37 PM
09-15-2014 02:15 PM
by Steve
3 1,517
Employee uniforms
Gerardo_Landscape
01-21-2014 11:11 PM
09-15-2014 02:12 PM
by Steve
5 1,582
Greetings from the north
Northwoods Outdoors
09-13-2014 08:55 AM
09-15-2014 02:07 PM
by Steve
1 931
» Popular Tags
4wd apartment complex blades bob villa charge christmas collections commercial demonstration ditches employee problems estimate exmark ferris first truck franchise gopherhaul gravely growing a lawn care business hardscapes holiday how much to charge how to bid hydraulic introduction kawasaki labor cost landscape services lawn lawn care lawn care business lawn care business book lawn care business seo lawn care business show lawn care business website lawn care business website seo lawn care website leaf removal lesco lighting marketing mowing mr dave mulch estimate new buisness new mower past due patio install podcast property management company reo rotating running a business scag scag v-ride search engine optimization seo small engine repair sprayer starting a business start up lawn care business steep lawns steve stihl tips toro trailer mate pro truck new used landscape walker won't return
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.1.0

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:06 AM.


(C) 2011 Riggs Publications - Terms of use & Privacy Policy

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:06 AM.

(C) 2011 Riggs Publications - Terms of use & Privacy Policy