Lawn Care Business Forum Lawn Care Business Book Lawn Care Business Blog Lawn Care Software
Home Forum Contract & Flyer Templates Blog Software Videos Podcast Calculators / Estimators Store Mower Review Design It Yourself Lawn Business School

Go Back   GopherHaul Landscaping & Lawn Care Business Marketing Forum > Lawn Care, Landscaping, and Property Management Forums > General Talk

General Talk If it doesn't fit anywhere else, post it here.

Residential Contracts


General Talk

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, post it here.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #31  
Old 04-05-2013, 01:53 PM
GreenBlue's Avatar
GreenBlue GreenBlue is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Kansas
Posts: 248
Rep Power: 2
GreenBlue is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawnBoy0311 View Post
Get out of "business owner" mode. Don't think of money, don't think of how people will screw you over, don't think of anything related to costs or your business.

After that is all said and done, put yourself in the customers shoes. Afterall, they are the ones who pay your salary. What would you look for in a company? How would you like to be billed? Would you sign a contract with a guy you don't know? Think of what you'd expect from a lawncare company.

When you have your idea, do that! Tweak it a bit here and there. Last year I billed out at the end of the month. I changed it this year to advance billing from suggestions of guys on here. Your first year won't be perfect, but try out different things and stick with what works the best.

You can't do what everyone on here suggests. Just like quotes,estimates, etc...we all live in different area's. Everyone here is different.

You also made no mention of "thinking of using a contract". Your original post was about using a contract for billing a flat rate.

I understand your trying to learn. We all were at one point. Heck I still am! You and I are actually the same age. But if I told you to jump off a bridge, would you do it?? Think CUSTOMERS FIRST.
Ok I understand this. This is probably a stupid question, but how do you go about billing in advance?
Reply With Quote

Stop guess-timating. Learn how to estimate and make money! $$$
Mow Time Estimator Lawn Care Price Estimator Mulch and Topsoil Calculator Snow Plow Estimate Calculator


  #32  
Old 04-05-2013, 02:36 PM
mac83's Avatar
mac83 mac83 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: columbia Tn
Posts: 49
Rep Power: 4
mac83 is on a distinguished road
Default

Just talk to your customer about the perks of paying ahead of time or paying a lump sum at one time and give them a deal when they do
__________________
Stihl FS 110-R
Stihl FS 85
Stihl FS 55
48" Lesco Walk-behind
22" Push Mower
Husk. Back-Pack-Blower
7'x12' Open Trailer With DoveTail



Website: http://mcnicholscontracting-tn.com
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 04-05-2013, 03:10 PM
SNethercutt SNethercutt is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 202
Rep Power: 2
SNethercutt is on a distinguished road
Default

Look at the bigger picture people!!!
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 04-05-2013, 09:07 PM
warbuff's Avatar
warbuff warbuff is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Poughkeepsie, NY
Posts: 67
Rep Power: 5
warbuff is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawnBoy0311 View Post
Get out of "business owner" mode. Don't think of money, don't think of how people will screw you over, don't think of anything related to costs or your business.

After that is all said and done, put yourself in the customers shoes. Afterall, they are the ones who pay your salary. What would you look for in a company? How would you like to be billed? Would you sign a contract with a guy you don't know? Think of what you'd expect from a lawncare company.

When you have your idea, do that! Tweak it a bit here and there. Last year I billed out at the end of the month. I changed it this year to advance billing from suggestions of guys on here. Your first year won't be perfect, but try out different things and stick with what works the best.

You can't do what everyone on here suggests. Just like quotes,estimates, etc...we all live in different area's. Everyone here is different.

You also made no mention of "thinking of using a contract". Your original post was about using a contract for billing a flat rate.

I understand your trying to learn. We all were at one point. Heck I still am! You and I are actually the same age. But if I told you to jump off a bridge, would you do it?? Think CUSTOMERS FIRST.
I think is a great suggestion and I would like to add just one simple thing to this, have a plan your comfortable with. How am I going to run my business, ad new customers, bill etc. Boyscout motto be prepared...
__________________

Clean, Quality Maintenance Services that Exceed Your Expectations.
Find Us On Facebook: ML Landscaping Poughkeepsie NY
Chance Favors the Prepared Mind...
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 04-05-2013, 09:19 PM
GreenBlue's Avatar
GreenBlue GreenBlue is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Kansas
Posts: 248
Rep Power: 2
GreenBlue is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by warbuff View Post
I think is a great suggestion and I would like to add just one simple thing to this, have a plan your comfortable with. How am I going to run my business, ad new customers, bill etc. Boyscout motto be prepared...
Having a plan is good enough for me, I'll post a few more questions I'll have on here, and then once I get my equipment and trailer I'll post those pictures, but after that probably won't post that much at all unless its an update here and there or to answer someone's question if I can....
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 04-06-2013, 09:12 AM
SNethercutt SNethercutt is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 202
Rep Power: 2
SNethercutt is on a distinguished road
Default

Contracts aren't really for mowing. I use them in the following manner.

Customer Josh is paying $200 a month to have his lawn mowed. So he budgets $200 monthly to pay his lawn guy. Totaling about $1600 a year, for cuttings.

I approach josh and say for $300 a month we can mulch once a year, weed beds monthly, keep hedges trimmed, fertilize, control ants, and mow.

Josh says I can get that for only $100 more a month? You say "yes" on a 12 month contract. And you use the contracts to protect both you and him.

Josh knows he can afford $200 a month. Now he has to figure if he can afford $300.

If customer agrees, you just turned your $1600 a year customer to $3600 a year!

Contract worth it.. I say hell yes. What about that isn't worth it. I got this exact contract. Same numbers. I spent $250 on mulch and 4 hours on initial clean up and mulch job. Now its just maintaining..... when the weeds get controlled you don't have a problem anymore.

How anyone says its isn't worth it. Beyond me.

As far as court goes, apparently people don't fully understand the legal system.

I take josh to court because he failed to pay. He has breached the contract. He owes me for months we have performed services, plus the breach of contract penalty, which in my case is 50% of remaining contract value.

If josh doesn't pay this amount. I start keeping track of my time I have spent trying to collect this debt, typing letter, making phone calls. Also keep up with any expenses you have trying to collect, such as sending certified mail, fuel cost and so on.

I also accumulate late fees on past dues accounts at 19.99% MONTHLY.

After 30 days of non payment, I send a certified letter stating if not played within 15 days criminal charges will be filed, and a civil suite as well.

Any cost you have during a civil suite process, can be added into the lawsuit. Even attorneys fees.

So say josh owes me $300 plus 19.99% interest plus a late fee and the 50% of remaining contract. So he now owes me $2,000.

Plus my time and cost. My time at my normal rate in course of busjness per hour. So I have 2 hours in it plus the cost of mail and fuel. So that's another $200.

He owes me $2,200.

Now there is court fees and all that up front.

Now I am suing for $2,500.

I will win. I have a contract and clauses within it to protect me from deadbeats. I suggest any contract you write or get offline, you have an attorney make sure that your contract follows the bylaws of your state. If you have a goofy contract with some off the wall crap in it, the judge will look to you, as the writer of the contract to explain in detail and tell which laws support why that should be upheld.

I leave no out for a contract customer. Its iron clad. Why? Because someone will let you mulch and do big jibs and then try to cancel. I don't play that round. You sign the line, your in it for the long haul. Like a car note its not beneficial to get out of that contract agreement.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 04-06-2013, 02:08 PM
LawnBoy0311 LawnBoy0311 is offline
new member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: East Coast
Posts: 1,169
Rep Power: 0
LawnBoy0311 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNethercutt View Post
Contracts aren't really for mowing. I use them in the following manner.

Customer Josh is paying $200 a month to have his lawn mowed. So he budgets $200 monthly to pay his lawn guy. Totaling about $1600 a year, for cuttings.

I approach josh and say for $300 a month we can mulch once a year, weed beds monthly, keep hedges trimmed, fertilize, control ants, and mow.

Josh says I can get that for only $100 more a month? You say "yes" on a 12 month contract. And you use the contracts to protect both you and him.

Josh knows he can afford $200 a month. Now he has to figure if he can afford $300.

If customer agrees, you just turned your $1600 a year customer to $3600 a year!

Contract worth it.. I say hell yes. What about that isn't worth it. I got this exact contract. Same numbers. I spent $250 on mulch and 4 hours on initial clean up and mulch job. Now its just maintaining..... when the weeds get controlled you don't have a problem anymore.

How anyone says its isn't worth it. Beyond me.

As far as court goes, apparently people don't fully understand the legal system.

I take josh to court because he failed to pay. He has breached the contract. He owes me for months we have performed services, plus the breach of contract penalty, which in my case is 50% of remaining contract value.

If josh doesn't pay this amount. I start keeping track of my time I have spent trying to collect this debt, typing letter, making phone calls. Also keep up with any expenses you have trying to collect, such as sending certified mail, fuel cost and so on.

I also accumulate late fees on past dues accounts at 19.99% MONTHLY.

After 30 days of non payment, I send a certified letter stating if not played within 15 days criminal charges will be filed, and a civil suite as well.

Any cost you have during a civil suite process, can be added into the lawsuit. Even attorneys fees.

So say josh owes me $300 plus 19.99% interest plus a late fee and the 50% of remaining contract. So he now owes me $2,000.

Plus my time and cost. My time at my normal rate in course of busjness per hour. So I have 2 hours in it plus the cost of mail and fuel. So that's another $200.

He owes me $2,200.

Now there is court fees and all that up front.

Now I am suing for $2,500.

I will win. I have a contract and clauses within it to protect me from deadbeats. I suggest any contract you write or get offline, you have an attorney make sure that your contract follows the bylaws of your state. If you have a goofy contract with some off the wall crap in it, the judge will look to you, as the writer of the contract to explain in detail and tell which laws support why that should be upheld.

I leave no out for a contract customer. Its iron clad. Why? Because someone will let you mulch and do big jibs and then try to cancel. I don't play that round. You sign the line, your in it for the long haul. Like a car note its not beneficial to get out of that contract agreement.
Contracts don't guarantee a win in court. I've seen plenty of cases where a contract was enforced and the business still lost out big time.
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 04-06-2013, 02:12 PM
LawnBoy0311 LawnBoy0311 is offline
new member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: East Coast
Posts: 1,169
Rep Power: 0
LawnBoy0311 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenBlue View Post
Ok I understand this. This is probably a stupid question, but how do you go about billing in advance?
Heres how I do it:

Feb 1 - invoices go out to be paid by feb. 20th, this covers march services
March 1 - invoices go out to be paid by march 20th. This covers April services.

If customers come in half way into the month, they pay for the rest of the month.

I ran into a few customers who were a little ticked I did it this way, but after I explained it, they were fine. I said cell phone carriers do this, and it gives me more time to spend with my customers instead of trying to collect.

When I changed policies I lost a few customers....but go figure the only customers I lost were the ones I had to chase for payments.
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 04-06-2013, 02:21 PM
SNethercutt SNethercutt is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 202
Rep Power: 2
SNethercutt is on a distinguished road
Default

A contract can be enforced and either party could loose. You get a good contract AND uphold your end of the contract. There is no way you could loose your case in said occurance. And being in business is a gamble. There is no guarantee you will ever get paid with a contract, without a contract, or even with a judgement.

If your not willing to risk loosing $500 any given day, I would say running a business isn't for you. Your stuff is gonna get stolen, your equipment will get tore up. Its called the cost of doing business and we are all gonna have to live with that.

I have almost been stiffed twice for over $600 each time, different clients in my first year of business. I consulted legal advice and found out my options. I handled it and both customers paid me 100% what was owed. Didn't cost me anything but an hour of my time.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 04-06-2013, 09:21 PM
GreenBlue's Avatar
GreenBlue GreenBlue is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Kansas
Posts: 248
Rep Power: 2
GreenBlue is on a distinguished road
Default

I'll take that into consideration LawnBoy.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
3/4 Acre Residential lxarth Online Lawn Care Estimator - Help me bid this job 16 06-25-2012 05:03 PM
Residential or Commercial??? mortonslawn Starting a lawn care business. 10 10-26-2010 06:07 PM
commercial vs residential Floridajoe Lawn Maintenance / Lawn Renovation 18 06-05-2010 01:24 AM
My area is FULL of residential! Travor Starting a lawn care business. 14 08-10-2009 01:48 PM
Commercial vs. Residential musician/lawnman General Business Discussions 40 07-04-2008 07:54 AM

» Recent Threads
  RatingTitle, Username, & Date Last Post Replies Views
These are the days on...
ExtremeLawncareServices
03-22-2014 09:12 AM
Today 08:58 PM
by ExtremeLawncareServices
152 11,050
Pressure Washing Like a...
TNTurf
08-01-2014 11:47 PM
Today 08:49 PM
by biglee
4 557
Cheapskate Landlord...
Mr. Mow
Today 06:33 AM
Today 08:44 PM
by biglee
6 108
Jungle to Beautiful
stevef1201
10-17-2014 09:54 AM
Today 08:39 PM
by biglee
8 295
Have you ever had to...
SouthernRootsLawnCare
07-26-2014 02:41 PM
Today 08:34 PM
by biglee
10 1,635
Sunny Beach Tennis...
SGL1
Yesterday 11:24 PM
Today 07:13 PM
by SGL1
2 91
Hello, from TEXAS
sanchez5
10-17-2014 09:56 PM
Today 06:15 PM
by Steve
3 220
Look out Bob Villa -...
Mr Dave
09-30-2014 10:06 AM
Today 05:42 PM
by SGL1
7 1,184
how to fi d commercial...
mchampion319
Yesterday 09:50 PM
Today 04:41 PM
by Steve
1 94
Hello From Tennessee
mrmann901
10-17-2014 10:02 PM
Today 04:24 PM
by Steve
1 177
questions on order to...
jack2048
10-13-2014 11:15 AM
Today 03:27 PM
by Mr. Mow
15 603
What parts do you carry...
Just for Cuts
10-17-2014 09:08 AM
Today 03:11 PM
by Mr. Mow
20 460
Organic Lawn Care...
NHray
10-17-2014 06:05 PM
Today 02:22 PM
by Steve
1 214
This sucks...
Matther777
09-18-2014 04:56 PM
Today 02:14 PM
by Steve
14 2,053
Cement mixer
KevinsLawns
10-15-2014 08:03 PM
Today 02:11 PM
by Steve
7 349
Hello ! New guy Rob here
RWorthley1
10-17-2014 04:05 PM
Today 02:09 PM
by Steve
1 194
first year update
cmdlawncare
08-12-2014 05:41 PM
Today 02:07 PM
by Steve
3 1,169
Pda
stevef1201
10-18-2014 02:05 PM
Yesterday 11:27 PM
by SGL1
2 173
Snow Blowing
gwilson98
10-12-2014 02:21 PM
10-17-2014 02:51 PM
by Steve
6 535
Spreading Weeds?
WesleySnips
07-27-2014 09:46 PM
10-17-2014 07:49 AM
by SGL1
6 839
Grasswhoopins.com Anyone...
GRASS WHOOPINS
06-21-2011 11:38 PM
10-16-2014 01:30 PM
by ExtremeLawncareServices
42 9,192
I Want to buy old...
ExtremeLawncareServices
10-10-2014 10:04 PM
10-15-2014 09:12 PM
by ExtremeLawncareServices
6 578
Say Hello !!!
Steve
03-19-2007 11:18 AM
10-15-2014 06:43 PM
by NHray
1,190 339,849
Workmans compensation...
CDLAWNCARE
10-15-2014 08:05 AM
10-15-2014 02:57 PM
by Steve
2 321
Do you find weed eating...
chuck2s
10-15-2014 02:10 PM
10-15-2014 02:10 PM
by chuck2s
0 291
Incorporating &...
WesleySnips
10-01-2014 09:39 PM
10-15-2014 01:37 PM
by kslawn
20 1,383
Falling into business
stellarmowing
09-28-2014 04:35 PM
10-15-2014 05:57 AM
by ringahding1
8 1,399
Apartment Complex and...
lxarth
06-22-2011 01:10 PM
10-14-2014 06:25 PM
by jrs.landscaping
42 9,482
I LOVE hedge trimming
stevef1201
10-13-2014 09:05 AM
10-14-2014 01:06 PM
by Steve
5 421
Help with seeder...
ExtremeLawncareServices
10-09-2014 07:39 AM
10-13-2014 08:09 PM
by ExtremeLawncareServices
5 585
The Market watch
WesleySnips
10-12-2014 08:47 PM
10-13-2014 05:40 PM
by SGL1
3 428
Help pricing a large...
Bradcook21
10-07-2014 06:49 AM
10-13-2014 02:00 PM
by Steve
7 774
leaf removal
Double J LLC
10-03-2014 04:24 PM
10-13-2014 06:46 AM
by Billy Goat
19 1,401
Acerage Rake
acrajchel
04-23-2014 07:23 PM
10-12-2014 10:53 PM
by SGL1
2 742
John Deere z235 Deck
WesleySnips
09-29-2014 06:02 PM
10-12-2014 06:20 PM
by kslawn
25 1,544
Credit card contract
SGL1
10-06-2014 05:31 PM
10-12-2014 03:40 PM
by SGL1
18 966
Truck craft dump bed...
ExtremeLawncareServices
10-04-2014 08:41 PM
10-10-2014 11:35 AM
by Steve
7 862
First Time River Rock...
berryjam
10-09-2014 06:09 PM
10-10-2014 11:08 AM
by Steve
2 521
West cost lawn prices
SGlawncare
10-09-2014 09:51 PM
10-10-2014 11:03 AM
by Steve
1 510
Question?what should I...
dalvan0
09-24-2014 11:10 PM
10-09-2014 05:58 PM
by kslawn
28 2,035
Mowing the hills
EyeCatchersNow
07-08-2014 12:22 PM
10-09-2014 04:19 PM
by Just for Cuts
25 2,890
snowplowing
jshak40
09-01-2014 07:20 AM
10-09-2014 02:21 PM
by Steve
25 3,542
Changing Scag Freedom Z...
maggiedavidson
10-06-2014 12:24 PM
10-08-2014 06:34 PM
by ExtremeLawncareServices
7 752
The most dangerous part...
Steve
10-06-2014 02:45 PM
10-07-2014 04:18 PM
by ExtremeLawncareServices
3 728
Good Mower
jack2048
10-04-2014 05:34 PM
10-07-2014 01:05 PM
by Steve
7 817
Mulching fad killing...
Tree geek
10-06-2014 08:37 PM
10-06-2014 08:37 PM
by Tree geek
0 635
Help a brother...
tbtigers03
09-28-2014 11:41 AM
10-06-2014 02:53 PM
by Steve
11 1,359
Update on LawnsAway and...
Ian Lovejoy
09-28-2014 10:24 AM
10-06-2014 01:30 PM
by Steve
4 1,226
A GREAT Story
stevef1201
10-02-2014 10:33 AM
10-06-2014 12:50 PM
by Steve
6 1,032
Kohler command carb...
ExtremeLawncareServices
09-21-2014 03:09 PM
10-03-2014 07:12 PM
by kslawn
27 2,138
» Popular Tags
2wd aerocore apartment bid apartment lawn care estimate applying bush charge christmas deliquentaccounts demonstration exmark ferris first truck foreman georgia gopherhaul grass gravely hills holiday how much to charge how to how to bid hydraulic labor cost landscape services lawn lawn care lawn care busines plan lawn care business book lawn care business podcast lawn care business seo lawn care business show lawn care business website lawn care business website seo lawn care seo lawn care website lawn care website seo lighting lighting brass outdoor lights managing a lawn care business marketing mechanic mowing mulch mulch estimate new buisness new business ordinance podcast property management company push versus ride savannah scag scag v-ride scripts seo snow plowing starting a business starting a lawn care business stihl sulky theft toro tractor auger trailer mate pro tree walk behind walker wright stander rh
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.1.0

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:58 PM.


(C) 2011 Riggs Publications - Terms of use & Privacy Policy

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:58 PM.

(C) 2011 Riggs Publications - Terms of use & Privacy Policy