Lawn Care Business Forum Lawn Care Business Book Lawn Care Business Blog Lawn Care Software
Home Forum Contract & Flyer Templates Blog Software Videos Podcast Calculators / Estimators Store Mower Review Design It Yourself Lawn Business School

Go Back   GopherHaul Landscaping & Lawn Care Business Marketing Forum > Lawn Care, Landscaping, and Property Management Forums > Truck, Trailer, and Outdoor Power Equipment Discussion, Repairs.

Truck, Trailer, and Outdoor Power Equipment Discussion, Repairs. Questions on your truck, trailer, commercial lawn mowers, lawn mower, mower parts, lawn tractors, engines, edgers, trimmers, pole saws, aerators, hydro seeders, snow plows, chain saws, stump grinders??

Curb Machine


Truck, Trailer, and Outdoor Power Equipment Discussion, Repairs.

Questions on your truck, trailer, commercial lawn mowers, lawn mower, mower parts, lawn tractors, engines, edgers, trimmers, pole saws, aerators, hydro seeders, snow plows, chain saws, stump grinders??
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 02-22-2013, 12:44 AM
SECTLANDSCAPING SECTLANDSCAPING is offline
new member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: CT
Posts: 1,912
Rep Power: 0
SECTLANDSCAPING is on a distinguished road
Default Curb Machine

I was just thinking of getting a curbing machine. Not sure what the demand is but I figure I can use it as a selling point in snow contracts.

I have taking out a few 100 ft of curbs over the years. Even though no one has ever asked us to fix them. I can see it being a good add on service. Just not sure how many calls I would get other then that. I know I could use it to do borders on beds. People might prefer stone over concrete.

It only cost a few bucks per foot and I believe the going rate is $15-$20 a ft.

It might be a better idea to go with sealcoating and curb making. Not sure though. I'm just bored and brainstorming more ideas for revenue.


Heres a picture of beds with curbs.
Reply With Quote

Stop guess-timating. Learn how to estimate and make money! $$$
Mow Time Estimator Lawn Care Price Estimator Mulch and Topsoil Calculator Snow Plow Estimate Calculator


  #2  
Old 02-22-2013, 07:15 AM
patrick6411 patrick6411 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 106
Rep Power: 3
patrick6411 is on a distinguished road
Default

Lawn care business tipsLawn Care Business Book
Contact a few concrete companies. New communities, think out of the box, do this before you buy, it will give you an idea of your return on investment. (ROI)
Also look at the resell value of say three years after you purchase the machine. this way after three years of use you can sale it and recoup some money for your new one.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-22-2013, 09:38 AM
dpld dpld is offline
new member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: nj
Posts: 885
Rep Power: 0
dpld is on a distinguished road
Default

i looked into it years ago and the end product is garbage.

they call it a curb machine but all it is doing is forming concrete into a desired shape and laying it on the ground.
there is no support and as far as curbing for snowplowing goes it would move as easily as the snow.
it also would not be a good repair for existing damaged curbing.

every year i see guys buy the whole set up and then by the end of the year it is on craigslist for sale.


i will say the curbing it makes looks good and is ideal for plant beds if you like a concrete border but in the cold regions the final product does not last too long and can not deal with the heaving of the ground.

the concept has been around for 25 to 30 years and they been selling the machines for about the same time but i have nor seen too much of it over the years and there is not much of a demand for it in the north east.

it really is a catch 22, if it lasts for years then the customer will not need you again and if it crumbles up and breaks apart like all poorly laid concrete does they would not want you back anyway as well as most people don't like a concrete border between their lawn and plant beds.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-22-2013, 10:57 AM
fieroboi's Avatar
fieroboi fieroboi is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Camrose, Alberta, Canada
Posts: 142
Rep Power: 6
fieroboi is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpld View Post
i looked into it years ago and the end product is garbage.

they call it a curb machine but all it is doing is forming concrete into a desired shape and laying it on the ground.
there is no support and as far as curbing for snowplowing goes it would move as easily as the snow.
it also would not be a good repair for existing damaged curbing.

every year i see guys buy the whole set up and then by the end of the year it is on craigslist for sale.


i will say the curbing it makes looks good and is ideal for plant beds if you like a concrete border but in the cold regions the final product does not last too long and can not deal with the heaving of the ground.

the concept has been around for 25 to 30 years and they been selling the machines for about the same time but i have nor seen too much of it over the years and there is not much of a demand for it in the north east.

it really is a catch 22, if it lasts for years then the customer will not need you again and if it crumbles up and breaks apart like all poorly laid concrete does they would not want you back anyway as well as most people don't like a concrete border between their lawn and plant beds.
I have to disagree here, we have had great success with offering this as one of our services. While it is a one time deal, it has added to our profile and i've gained some lawn contracts because of it.

As for the product, there have been advancements over the years with the additives that are used to strengthen the concrete. While there is never a guarantee that concrete will not crack. Installed incorrectly it does not hold up well, there are many guys that (incorrectly)install it on the top of the ground. Those are the guys that want to get in and take the money and don't care about the product or result in a year or two.

I use a sod cutter and my curb is installed about 1.5 inches in the soil, we also install a steel cable in the curb as well as expansion joints to help with the movement of the ground from frost as well. As is the case with many lawn guys that do crappy work, it also is true of curbing, and the workmanship shows.

It is a fairly labour intensive process, and I would say that it is not for everyone. I would highly recommend if your looking at getting into that, that you take the time to do lots of research as to the difference in companies and how they support you as a business. Chances are the systems you are finding on craigslist are from the guys that figured they could make a quick buck doing it, just like the low ballers that show up in the lawn business every year.

Done right and with pride, I believe this is a great product and I am pleased that we offer it as an add on service.

Lloyd
Blue's Yard FX
Camrose, AB
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-22-2013, 11:12 AM
SECTLANDSCAPING SECTLANDSCAPING is offline
new member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: CT
Posts: 1,912
Rep Power: 0
SECTLANDSCAPING is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieroboi View Post
I have to disagree here, we have had great success with offering this as one of our services. While it is a one time deal, it has added to our profile and i've gained some lawn contracts because of it.

As for the product, there have been advancements over the years with the additives that are used to strengthen the concrete. While there is never a guarantee that concrete will not crack. Installed incorrectly it does not hold up well, there are many guys that (incorrectly)install it on the top of the ground. Those are the guys that want to get in and take the money and don't care about the product or result in a year or two.

I use a sod cutter and my curb is installed about 1.5 inches in the soil, we also install a steel cable in the curb as well as expansion joints to help with the movement of the ground from frost as well. As is the case with many lawn guys that do crappy work, it also is true of curbing, and the workmanship shows.

It is a fairly labour intensive process, and I would say that it is not for everyone. I would highly recommend if your looking at getting into that, that you take the time to do lots of research as to the difference in companies and how they support you as a business. Chances are the systems you are finding on craigslist are from the guys that figured they could make a quick buck doing it, just like the low ballers that show up in the lawn business every year.

Done right and with pride, I believe this is a great product and I am pleased that we offer it as an add on service.

Lloyd
Blue's Yard FX
Camrose, AB
One of my workers is a jack of all trades, master of none. We were talking about PITA jobs and he brought up laying curb. He has some experience doing it and hes a big strong guy. If its grueling work for him, I know its tough to do.

With that being said. I'm thinking like you as a good add on service or even as part of a existing contract. I know no other landscaper/snow removal contractors offer this in my area. By bidding properties for snow and including curb damage repair it would set me apart from my competition.

At this point I'm just looking in to it. I might go with sealcoating instead. So much easier and its pretty good money.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-22-2013, 01:44 PM
Steve's Avatar
Steve Steve is online now
Administrator
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 36,384
Rep Power: 10
Steve has disabled reputation
Default

Quote:
i will say the curbing it makes looks good and is ideal for plant beds if you like a concrete border but in the cold regions the final product does not last too long and can not deal with the heaving of the ground.
What depth would the foundation have to be in order for these curbs to not break apart? In order to give us all some good insight why it's probably not a good idea to just lay a curb on the surface?
__________________
- Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-22-2013, 03:27 PM
wandfsmall wandfsmall is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 925
Rep Power: 4
wandfsmall is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
What depth would the foundation have to be in order for these curbs to not break apart? In order to give us all some good insight why it's probably not a good idea to just lay a curb on the surface?
that would depend on the frost depth of your area. For example where I live it is 2ft.
__________________
I am the owner of www.AllOutdoorParts.com an online mower parts distributor. I am also a Briggs Master Service Technician and Expert Certified Mechanic for Kohler. If my posts helps you please like my facebook page at www.facebook.com/alloutdoorparts
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-22-2013, 03:31 PM
dpld dpld is offline
new member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: nj
Posts: 885
Rep Power: 0
dpld is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
What depth would the foundation have to be in order for these curbs to not break apart? In order to give us all some good insight why it's probably not a good idea to just lay a curb on the surface?

the curbing process with the machine they have for it does not allow for any variations to it's installation.
you cut out the sod and you lay down the curb and outside of materials you can add a cable through it.

we have encountered some curbing here but my region has too much ground heave for it to be effective.
i have seen many variations to this system from buying just a stand alone unit to buying a whole set up for it that comes complete with mixers and powered wheel barrows and multiple slip forms.

as i said earlier, it can work out in different regions as well as it depends on the market in your local region.
my area we have had dozens of guys come and go over the years and you rarely see it installed.
to me, in my region that would suggest it is not a big seller as well as doing countless projects over the years dealing with concrete and any other stone products i just can not see it holding up and even though the true quality lies in the installation you are still at the mercy of the installer.

it sounds like a real viable business and it would seem as a match made in heaven. i mean everyone wants some better looking longer lasting edging, right?. they even sell nice fancy business packages that come with everything you need except the customers.

but for what ever reason in my region it has never taken off.
i am not knocking it and i am only speaking from what i know in my area and my experiences.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-25-2013, 12:43 PM
Steve's Avatar
Steve Steve is online now
Administrator
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 36,384
Rep Power: 10
Steve has disabled reputation
Default

Quote:
At this point I'm just looking in to it. I might go with sealcoating instead. So much easier and its pretty good money.
Have you looked for any used equipment in your area to do some experimenting with curbing?
__________________
- Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-25-2013, 03:10 PM
willshome willshome is offline
new member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Mass
Posts: 865
Rep Power: 0
willshome is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SECTLANDSCAPING View Post

I have taking out a few 100 ft of curbs over the years.
SECTLANDSCAPING I was LOL this weekend walking around my girlfriend's apartment complex every 20' the curbs are KILLED. Thinking about this post made me laugh.
I don't think they know to raise the plow blade a little before the curb.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I Love This Machine! ! ringahding1 Show Off - Picture Post - Photo Gallery 2 06-30-2011 03:05 AM
Curb maker Steve Franchise Building, Entrepreneurs, Business Leaders, & Innovators Discussions 5 12-17-2008 11:21 AM
Equipment / curb cost grounded General Business Discussions 0 12-13-2007 04:24 AM
weed-eating the curb & driveway landonkade Starting a lawn care business. 2 07-05-2007 09:34 PM

» Recent Threads
  RatingTitle, Username, & Date Last Post Replies Views
snowplowing
jshak40
09-01-2014 07:20 AM
Today 06:24 PM
by Northwoods Outdoors
22 1,214
Looking for feed back on...
ExtremeLawncareServices
Yesterday 08:38 AM
Today 06:06 PM
by jrs.landscaping
6 134
This sucks...
Matther777
Today 04:56 PM
Today 04:56 PM
by Matther777
0 9
Hello from upstate NY!
A&MLawn&Snow
Today 11:19 AM
Today 04:10 PM
by Sprinkler Buddy
2 51
Price to apply fertilizer
SS.Lawncare
09-15-2014 11:10 AM
Today 01:16 PM
by Steve
9 300
Trailer tires
J.A.S.LawnService
09-01-2014 10:17 AM
Yesterday 09:57 PM
by curts lawn care
4 835
Lowballers scrubs &...
Darksteel
01-13-2014 07:35 AM
Yesterday 08:42 PM
by curts lawn care
57 6,610
new to the forum
SGlawncare
09-16-2014 11:20 PM
Yesterday 08:29 PM
by curts lawn care
3 143
Help With Snow Blowing...
Robertf31
09-13-2014 10:55 PM
Yesterday 12:34 PM
by Steve
11 486
Non-Stop Summer?
SouthallMowing
09-14-2014 10:51 PM
Yesterday 10:48 AM
by stevef1201
6 293
Tribulations of working...
stevef1201
09-13-2014 08:37 AM
09-16-2014 10:43 PM
by SGL1
6 359
Poll - net income
Dan5082
11-15-2010 08:08 PM
09-16-2014 04:44 PM
by jrs.landscaping
12 3,129
Getting lowballed!
PineHillLawn
06-27-2012 07:23 AM
09-16-2014 01:25 PM
by jrs.landscaping
24 4,787
Compare this summer to...
Steve
09-03-2014 12:52 PM
09-16-2014 11:20 AM
by Hanks Lawn Care Services
15 1,016
thinking about throwing...
veteranslawncaresystems
09-09-2014 10:31 PM
09-15-2014 03:41 PM
by Steve
12 710
Hello
Robertf31
09-12-2014 10:34 PM
09-15-2014 03:17 PM
by Steve
2 317
Newbie......Again
Jibber
09-13-2014 12:17 PM
09-15-2014 02:54 PM
by Sprinkler Buddy
2 327
Replacing a Shindi T-27
Dan Tanner
09-13-2014 12:59 PM
09-15-2014 02:31 PM
by Steve
1 290
need help with starter...
GoGreenerKS
09-12-2014 04:23 PM
09-15-2014 02:25 PM
by Steve
3 334
Brake job!
kslawn
08-30-2014 07:49 AM
09-15-2014 02:16 PM
by Steve
12 1,029
Hello
jawnebgoode
08-28-2014 08:37 PM
09-15-2014 02:15 PM
by Steve
3 806
Employee uniforms
Gerardo_Landscape
01-21-2014 11:11 PM
09-15-2014 02:12 PM
by Steve
5 933
Greetings from the north
Northwoods Outdoors
09-13-2014 08:55 AM
09-15-2014 02:07 PM
by Steve
1 306
darleneh
darleneh
09-15-2014 12:33 PM
09-15-2014 02:07 PM
by Sprinkler Buddy
1 168
My 1st bid
WesleySnips
06-11-2014 03:13 PM
09-15-2014 02:05 PM
by Steve
29 1,721
New Aerator
Chaz
09-09-2014 11:43 PM
09-15-2014 01:50 PM
by Steve
9 543
Yearly contract Pricing
jrob0691
08-21-2014 08:57 AM
09-15-2014 01:23 PM
by stevef1201
8 1,194
Scag turf tiger hydrolic...
ExtremeLawncareServices
09-04-2014 10:55 PM
09-14-2014 03:06 PM
by ExtremeLawncareServices
8 716
These are the days on...
ExtremeLawncareServices
03-22-2014 09:12 AM
09-13-2014 09:14 PM
by ExtremeLawncareServices
116 7,948
getting ready to start
calebmoss
05-23-2011 09:35 PM
09-11-2014 12:21 PM
by Steve
34 11,211
Stihl pull cord replace
SGL1
09-03-2014 09:22 PM
09-10-2014 12:25 PM
by Steve
9 732
Softball field
kslawn
08-15-2014 09:28 AM
09-10-2014 12:16 PM
by Steve
18 1,459
Lawn Route Templates
Landscaper1165
08-30-2014 01:52 PM
09-09-2014 08:05 PM
by Landscaper1165
4 947
New truck and trailer...
Johnny Rocket
05-14-2012 03:41 PM
09-09-2014 07:23 PM
by Matther777
18 6,545
What gets you bad press?
Steve
09-09-2014 11:48 AM
09-09-2014 07:21 PM
by Matther777
2 433
Signs on your snow plow?
Steve
01-15-2007 01:07 AM
09-09-2014 11:42 AM
by Steve
19 6,181
Exmark Lazer Z S-Series...
BLC7
08-22-2014 10:18 AM
09-08-2014 08:08 PM
by avetslawncare
12 1,236
New to the business
flamingyouth87
09-05-2014 11:52 AM
09-08-2014 11:55 AM
by Steve
3 641
Hello from Ohio
kurtwin
08-28-2014 05:06 PM
09-08-2014 11:51 AM
by Steve
7 922
Facebook
element009
03-23-2011 08:36 AM
09-07-2014 07:35 AM
by avetslawncare
24 7,710
Help pricing cut down 7...
Bradcook21
08-26-2014 11:17 PM
09-06-2014 02:09 PM
by Bradcook21
8 1,007
billing matters
sbuchanan8154
09-05-2014 09:56 AM
09-05-2014 03:00 PM
by Steve
3 615
Thoughts
googus
09-05-2014 07:28 AM
09-05-2014 02:23 PM
by Steve
2 567
Backflow Tester
flowcheckllc.2014
09-03-2014 04:37 PM
09-05-2014 02:15 PM
by Steve
3 654
Collections & collection...
jscarolina
09-03-2014 04:39 PM
09-04-2014 03:14 PM
by Steve
2 670
Sod
RosalesLawnCare
08-27-2014 03:47 PM
09-04-2014 02:42 PM
by RosalesLawnCare
4 930
Lawn needs top soil What...
jymie
08-26-2014 11:01 AM
09-03-2014 12:07 PM
by Steve
7 994
Hello! New here and...
CaliforniaFriendly
08-29-2014 11:30 AM
09-03-2014 11:15 AM
by Steve
4 898
Mowing 7 acres
avetslawncare
08-31-2014 04:24 PM
09-02-2014 03:11 PM
by Steve
5 894
New to the industry-...
Lsmain
08-31-2014 10:53 AM
09-02-2014 02:58 PM
by Steve
1 814
» Popular Tags
2wd 4x4 apartment lawn care estimate article marketing bid care charge collections subcontractor commercial credit card ecosymbiosis employee problems exmark fall ferris financing four wheel drive franchise gopherhaul grass gravely hardscapes health honda how much to charge hydraulic installation landscape services lawn lawn care busines plan lawn care business lawn care business seo lawn care business show lawn care business website lawn care business website seo lawn care website leaf managing a lawn care business marketing mechanic monthly mow mulch mulch price native plants new buisness new business outdoor environments patio install podcast push versus ride scag scag v-ride schedule search engine optimization seo snow plowing starting a business steep lawns stihl sulky theft of services toro tractor auger trailer mate pro truck new used landscape walk behind walker won't return wright stander rh
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.1.0

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:31 PM.


(C) 2011 Riggs Publications - Terms of use & Privacy Policy

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:31 PM.

(C) 2011 Riggs Publications - Terms of use & Privacy Policy