Lawn Care Business Forum Lawn Care Business Book Lawn Care Business Blog Lawn Care Software
Home Forum Contract & Flyer Templates Blog Software Videos Podcast Calculators / Estimators Store Mower Review Design It Yourself Lawn Business School

Go Back   GopherHaul Landscaping & Lawn Care Business Marketing Forum > Business > Trials & Tribulations - The drama of running a business and of life.

Trials & Tribulations - The drama of running a business and of life. It's not as easy as it looks. Running a business is full of drama. Customers, employees, money, family, time. You name it, it's a problem. Share with us your drama and how you handled it.

Being dropped by a customer for a vauge reason...


Trials & Tribulations - The drama of running a business and of life.

It's not as easy as it looks. Running a business is full of drama. Customers, employees, money, family, time. You name it, it's a problem. Share with us your drama and how you handled it.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 12-01-2012, 09:22 PM
pblawncare pblawncare is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 52
Rep Power: 5
pblawncare is on a distinguished road
Default Being dropped by a customer for a vauge reason...

So I just got my paycheck for the month of November. Along with that, I get a letter stating that the customers yard (who is on two week rotation) looks horrible because there are leaves absolutely everywhere. The letter also states that the quality of service is the reason for discontinuation. While i've lost customers before due to financial matters, undercut by a competitor etc. this lady didn't even give me a forwarning, chance etc. it was straight out "leaves are all over my yard and it looks horrible, your service is no longer needed." I did call and leave a polite message asking to have an opportunity to discuss and try and resolve the issue.

My opinion: We are on two week rotation. her two week rotation did NOT fall on the week of Thanksgiving. We got a check with the letter of discontinuation dated on Sunday the 25th. I figure she was upset that her two week rotation did not fall on the week of Thanksgiving. we did NOT get a special request call, or asked to switch her yard to that week, like we've asked ALL our customers to do, so we assumed business as usual. (note: this is a year round 2 wk. rotation job priced at 2160 a year, or 90 dollars a service.

Thoughts, opinions, etc?
Reply With Quote

Stop guess-timating. Learn how to estimate and make money! $$$
Mow Time Estimator Lawn Care Price Estimator Mulch and Topsoil Calculator Snow Plow Estimate Calculator


  #2  
Old 12-01-2012, 11:37 PM
Cashin H&P Cashin H&P is offline
new member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Bedford NH
Posts: 409
Rep Power: 0
Cashin H&P is on a distinguished road
Default

Lawn care business tipsLawn Care Business Book
Quote:
Originally Posted by pblawncare View Post
So I just got my paycheck for the month of November. Along with that, I get a letter stating that the customers yard (who is on two week rotation) looks horrible because there are leaves absolutely everywhere. The letter also states that the quality of service is the reason for discontinuation. While i've lost customers before due to financial matters, undercut by a competitor etc. this lady didn't even give me a forwarning, chance etc. it was straight out "leaves are all over my yard and it looks horrible, your service is no longer needed." I did call and leave a polite message asking to have an opportunity to discuss and try and resolve the issue.

My opinion: We are on two week rotation. her two week rotation did NOT fall on the week of Thanksgiving. We got a check with the letter of discontinuation dated on Sunday the 25th. I figure she was upset that her two week rotation did not fall on the week of Thanksgiving. we did NOT get a special request call, or asked to switch her yard to that week, like we've asked ALL our customers to do, so we assumed business as usual. (note: this is a year round 2 wk. rotation job priced at 2160 a year, or 90 dollars a service.

Thoughts, opinions, etc?
I wouldnt sweat it, replace her with a better customer in the spring . If she didnt even give you a chance to do the work she is probably a PITA to begin with.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-02-2012, 12:14 AM
SECTLANDSCAPING SECTLANDSCAPING is offline
new member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: CT
Posts: 1,912
Rep Power: 0
SECTLANDSCAPING is on a distinguished road
Default

It looks like the problem was she expected a leaf clean up for free. I get customers every year that call in november for a final mow. They expect me to drive over a 3" pile of leaves and who knows what with a 10k mower for grass cutting money? lol.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-02-2012, 01:20 AM
CHEESE2009's Avatar
CHEESE2009 CHEESE2009 is offline
Dr. Scott - Ruler of the Underworld
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Switzerland, Grindelwald
Age: 74
Posts: 4,475
Rep Power: 10
CHEESE2009 is on a distinguished road
Default

Clients really REALLY want their yards looking perfect on any holiday, REGARDLESS if they will not be home or be hosting an event.

It's actually pretty sick, a little bit crazy if you ask me.

Thanksgiving is probably the best example; no one honestly goes out side, so why do clients pull their hair out, can they not simply wait for the day after?

Never understood it.


I get this a lot:
"It's my ____ birthday, can you mow my lawn early?"

... as if 5cm of grass (usually less) is really going to sabotage a birthday party... geez
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-02-2012, 08:47 AM
SECTLANDSCAPING SECTLANDSCAPING is offline
new member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: CT
Posts: 1,912
Rep Power: 0
SECTLANDSCAPING is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHEESE2009 View Post
"It's my ____ birthday, can you mow my lawn early?"

... as if 5cm of grass (usually less) is really going to sabotage a birthday party... geez
Your forgetting that grass goblins love cake.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-02-2012, 09:51 AM
Sprinkler Buddy's Avatar
Sprinkler Buddy Sprinkler Buddy is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Florida
Posts: 691
Rep Power: 4
Sprinkler Buddy is on a distinguished road
Default

Sounds like she was just looking for an excuse, knowing the growing season is done and she doesn't want to pay during the Winter months.
__________________
Don't Keep Replacing Lawn Sprinkler Heads
Protect them with "Sprinkler Buddy"
CLICK HERE > http://www.sprinklerbuddy.com
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-02-2012, 10:01 AM
dpld dpld is offline
new member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: nj
Posts: 885
Rep Power: 0
dpld is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pblawncare View Post
So I just got my paycheck for the month of November. Along with that, I get a letter stating that the customers yard (who is on two week rotation) looks horrible because there are leaves absolutely everywhere. The letter also states that the quality of service is the reason for discontinuation. While i've lost customers before due to financial matters, undercut by a competitor etc. this lady didn't even give me a forwarning, chance etc. it was straight out "leaves are all over my yard and it looks horrible, your service is no longer needed." I did call and leave a polite message asking to have an opportunity to discuss and try and resolve the issue.

My opinion: We are on two week rotation. her two week rotation did NOT fall on the week of Thanksgiving. We got a check with the letter of discontinuation dated on Sunday the 25th. I figure she was upset that her two week rotation did not fall on the week of Thanksgiving. we did NOT get a special request call, or asked to switch her yard to that week, like we've asked ALL our customers to do, so we assumed business as usual. (note: this is a year round 2 wk. rotation job priced at 2160 a year, or 90 dollars a service.

Thoughts, opinions, etc?


what would she expect when she only pays for every other week?

if you want your yard kept up with and neat as a button then you need to pay the piper and have the landscaper come weekly.

to ask me to come every other week is like saying i only want to pay you half of what you are asking.
unless it is a drought the grass grows everyday, the leaves in the fall drop everyday but i am supposed to do a months worth of work for two weeks worth of money?

people like that have no clue as to what they are asking and how @sshat they come off like and they are completely oblivious to that and never will understand why a landscaper is not gonna put them ahead of the weekly accounts.

its like giving a part time employee more benefits then the full time workers and the only difference is they are part time customers.

when i used to do residential i would have people call and ask me for a price and they wold say go ahead and do it, then i would cut the lawn and they would give me a check and say " maybe from here on out you can cut it every other week " and i would say, i am sorry for the misunderstanding but i only accept weekly accounts and with my schedule and weather delays it is too difficult to work part time accounts into the fray.

they either hemmed and hawed and said ok come weekly or they said they would find someone else and either way it gets me what i want, one more full time client or one less deadbeat looking for something for half price.

i don't know what region you are in but here in nj most peoples yards looked like crap this thanksgiving due to the storm sandy.
every yard takes 5 times longer to due as well as has five times the debris to remove and most guys that are either done or close to done by now still have a couple weeks to go.

i am usually done by now and have all my snow equipment ready to roll and i will still be working up to christmas.
the only positive is the clean ups have been pulling in double what they normally do.

between the downed trees and wires which cut off access to some locations for a week or two plus the access to fuel was a big problem and delayed things to even most recently with the little snow we got which was enough to cover the ground and stick around for a few days to delay work even further.
then the salt in the wound is every property is a mess and takes forever to clean up.

last years storms made it a horrible situation and this years storms made it a complete nightmare and if this is a sign of things to come for the future, i will be dreading the fall more then i already do.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-02-2012, 10:06 AM
Cashin H&P Cashin H&P is offline
new member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Bedford NH
Posts: 409
Rep Power: 0
Cashin H&P is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpld View Post
what would she expect when she only pays for every other week?

if you want your yard kept up with and neat as a button then you need to pay the piper and have the landscaper come weekly.

to ask me to come every other week is like saying i only want to pay you half of what you are asking.
unless it is a drought the grass grows everyday, the leaves in the fall drop everyday but i am supposed to do a months worth of work for two weeks worth of money?

people like that have no clue as to what they are asking and how @sshat they come off like and they are completely oblivious to that and never will understand why a landscaper is not gonna put them ahead of the weekly accounts.

its like giving a part time employee more benefits then the full time workers and the only difference is they are part time customers.

when i used to do residential i would have people call and ask me for a price and they wold say go ahead and do it, then i would cut the lawn and they would give me a check and say " maybe from here on out you can cut it every other week " and i would say, i am sorry for the misunderstanding but i only accept weekly accounts and with my schedule and weather delays it is too difficult to work part time accounts into the fray.

they either hemmed and hawed and said ok come weekly or they said they would find someone else and either way it gets me what i want, one more full time client or one less deadbeat looking for something for half price.

i don't know what region you are in but here in nj most peoples yards looked like crap this thanksgiving due to the storm sandy.
every yard takes 5 times longer to due as well as has five times the debris to remove and most guys that are either done or close to done by now still have a couple weeks to go.

i am usually done by now and have all my snow equipment ready to roll and i will still be working up to christmas.
the only positive is the clean ups have been pulling in double what they normally do.

between the downed trees and wires which cut off access to some locations for a week or two plus the access to fuel was a big problem and delayed things to even most recently with the little snow we got which was enough to cover the ground and stick around for a few days to delay work even further.
then the salt in the wound is every property is a mess and takes forever to clean up.

last years storms made it a horrible situation and this years storms made it a complete nightmare and if this is a sign of things to come for the future, i will be dreading the fall more then i already do.
To the OP, this is the best advive your going to get!
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12-03-2012, 02:39 PM
Steve's Avatar
Steve Steve is online now
Administrator
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 36,822
Rep Power: 10
Steve has disabled reputation
Default

Would you like to call her again and see if you could get her on the phone to explain your position or do you feel better off moving on from her?
__________________
- Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 12-03-2012, 06:09 PM
LawnBoy0311 LawnBoy0311 is offline
new member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: East Coast
Posts: 1,169
Rep Power: 0
LawnBoy0311 is on a distinguished road
Default

Don't worry about it. I got almost the same exact thing a few weeks ago. Letter in mail with check, lawn looks like crap, you didn't pick up my leaves, etc. Let it go and move on. These people have NO COMMON SENSE! With her gone (mine was a lady too), it'll be less of a head ache to replace her with someone worth your while.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
DEPRESSED beyond reason dallasbarnone Starting a lawn care business. 24 04-21-2010 11:30 AM
Weed Prevention from customer to customer winkie61 Lawn Maintenance / Lawn Renovation 5 02-23-2010 10:49 AM
The reason I haven't been on lately... this sucks alot musician/lawnman HardcoreUnemployable.com 7 08-11-2008 10:39 PM
This is reason to buy trailer pnplawn Show Off - Picture Post - Photo Gallery 3 12-15-2007 03:14 PM

» Recent Threads
  RatingTitle, Username, & Date Last Post Replies Views
Lawn care truck
Steve
10-10-2009 03:40 AM
Today 06:05 PM
by ExtremeLawncareServices
41 15,852
TaskEasy & Plowz & Mowz...
jrwalker333
Yesterday 01:02 PM
Today 03:51 PM
by jrwalker333
2 71
Bidding to get other work
Rodriguez11
07-21-2011 11:52 PM
Today 02:49 PM
by Steve
26 9,274
What happened to Better...
Steve
01-27-2014 04:07 PM
Today 02:06 PM
by Chilehead
18 3,018
second year advise
cmdlawncare
01-23-2015 06:22 PM
Today 01:58 PM
by Steve
5 177
please Help with none...
Lawnboyman1170
01-09-2015 09:46 AM
Today 01:33 PM
by Steve
8 472
These are the days on...
ExtremeLawncareServices
01-11-2015 11:41 AM
Yesterday 09:34 AM
by ExtremeLawncareServices
9 495
need advise
rawssrob
02-23-2010 02:45 PM
01-23-2015 06:40 PM
by cmdlawncare
7 2,524
does this sound good or...
Bradcook21
01-22-2015 09:24 AM
01-23-2015 02:02 PM
by Steve
8 241
New to forum
ROB N
01-23-2015 08:35 AM
01-23-2015 01:53 PM
by Steve
1 93
Looking for advice on...
berryjam
01-21-2015 07:37 PM
01-23-2015 01:50 PM
by Steve
9 265
Extending the life of...
rmccutchan
01-17-2015 12:37 AM
01-23-2015 01:43 PM
by Steve
8 323
osceola lawn service
jasa@wildblue.net
01-22-2015 03:23 PM
01-23-2015 01:38 PM
by Steve
1 117
How many contracts...
5StarLawnscaping
01-12-2015 03:51 PM
01-23-2015 08:46 AM
by jrs.landscaping
8 448
Tax Question
Wolf4dk
01-20-2015 01:11 AM
01-22-2015 02:28 PM
by Steve
4 232
Billy Goat Vac
Mr. Mow
01-19-2015 07:42 AM
01-22-2015 02:18 PM
by Steve
6 230
"Part Timers", "Low...
doug1980
06-10-2009 12:55 PM
01-22-2015 02:09 PM
by biglee
39 10,121
Property Pricing
GVL
01-19-2015 02:46 PM
01-21-2015 02:18 PM
by Steve
5 275
Landscapers Source For...
breadcrumb
01-16-2015 02:44 PM
01-21-2015 05:55 AM
by breadcrumb
14 422
Hoa advice
Bradcook21
01-16-2015 09:36 PM
01-20-2015 04:30 PM
by Steve
4 263
My Invention
biglee
01-11-2015 07:51 PM
01-20-2015 10:16 AM
by biglee
16 607
How to beat the pre pay...
stansg1fresh
01-13-2015 04:33 PM
01-19-2015 03:38 PM
by ringahding1
3 334
Hello from Md
homey
12-17-2014 06:55 PM
01-19-2015 01:37 PM
by Steve
12 1,115
Hi from Illinois
burtle
01-02-2015 09:46 PM
01-19-2015 01:22 PM
by Steve
3 504
Hello from SW FL!!
5StarLawnscaping
12-05-2014 02:35 PM
01-19-2015 01:20 PM
by Steve
14 1,434
Lost my @#$ blower
stevef1201
01-11-2015 08:31 AM
01-17-2015 02:21 PM
by lxarth
2 363
Another Illinoisan.....
barhopper
01-11-2015 05:38 PM
01-16-2015 04:29 PM
by Steve
10 419
marketing with pizza...
apmAkron
01-15-2015 09:57 AM
01-15-2015 06:29 PM
by Steve
4 252
CRM and Quickbooks?
5StarLawnscaping
01-15-2015 08:06 AM
01-15-2015 08:06 AM
by 5StarLawnscaping
0 179
New Member, Indiana Iraq...
Timbo
07-14-2011 09:44 AM
01-14-2015 06:14 PM
by Steve
10 3,782
check this box truck out!
BLAZIER-1991
01-07-2015 07:40 PM
01-13-2015 03:06 PM
by biglee
8 621
My community only ad...
googus
01-12-2015 09:55 AM
01-13-2015 02:44 PM
by Steve
5 313
12 Years in Business!
Chilehead
10-23-2014 09:07 AM
01-13-2015 09:37 AM
by Chilehead
18 1,788
use a small business...
BLAZIER-1991
12-25-2014 12:21 AM
01-12-2015 06:32 PM
by BLAZIER-1991
30 1,544
tips on creating a...
BLAZIER-1991
01-08-2015 07:22 PM
01-12-2015 06:19 PM
by BLAZIER-1991
4 454
During Your Down Time
achri12
12-24-2014 03:03 PM
01-12-2015 03:54 PM
by Steve
10 1,082
Leaf cleanup
Bradcook21
01-09-2015 02:21 PM
01-12-2015 12:22 PM
by Jamesw86
4 425
Has Anyone Used Plowz ?
dpld
01-08-2014 12:14 PM
01-11-2015 02:17 PM
by burtle
20 3,353
What to pay help
Bradcook21
01-07-2015 01:32 PM
01-08-2015 07:01 PM
by Steve
1 462
Need a trailer
googus
01-07-2015 09:40 AM
01-08-2015 10:24 AM
by Upscale2
7 568
Do you guys charge buy...
burtle
01-02-2015 09:58 PM
01-07-2015 08:37 PM
by Shark1611
14 927
Organic Lawn Care...
NHray
10-17-2014 07:05 PM
01-07-2015 07:05 PM
by greyhound
18 2,163
Need advice please
CHenricks
01-06-2015 01:17 AM
01-07-2015 03:34 PM
by Steve
4 534
Mowing 2 acres
Bradcook21
01-05-2015 03:13 PM
01-07-2015 03:32 PM
by Steve
9 673
Ideas on a large bid
Knaubone
12-21-2014 11:57 AM
01-06-2015 03:55 PM
by Steve
5 986
Trailer with 4ft sides...
mayala030292
01-02-2015 09:01 PM
01-06-2015 03:33 PM
by Steve
5 620
A tip to get good...
biglee
01-04-2015 12:07 AM
01-06-2015 03:30 PM
by Steve
4 601
Work Shoes!
rsanchez1203
02-19-2013 12:07 PM
01-05-2015 09:18 PM
by Havanese2
13 7,448
EDDM post cards
hemiman
02-13-2014 06:36 PM
01-05-2015 04:22 PM
by Steve
14 2,417
Cleaning your Mower and...
MNK
01-03-2015 01:22 AM
01-05-2015 09:17 AM
by rmccutchan
10 758
» Popular Tags
4wd aerocore apartment bid apartment lawn care estimate applying auger bob villa bush commercial deliquentaccounts demonstration ditches door hangers edging employee problems ferris first truck four wheel drive georgia google gopherhaul grass hardscapes how to hydraulic introduction jobs john deere quik trac landscape services lawn lawn aeration lawn care lawn care busines plan lawn care business lawn care business seo lawn care business show lawn care business website lawn care business website seo lawn care seo lawn care website lawn care website seo managing a lawn care business marketing mulch ordinance patio install per hour service podcast profit on employee reo scag v-ride scripts seo shreaded snow plowing sq ft starting a lawn care business steep lawns steve sulky theft toro tractor auger trailer mate pro truck new used landscape up sell employee walk behind won't return wood wright stander rh
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.1.0

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:54 PM.


(C) 2011 Riggs Publications - Terms of use & Privacy Policy

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:54 PM.

(C) 2011 Riggs Publications - Terms of use & Privacy Policy