Lawn Care Business Forum Lawn Care Business Book Lawn Care Business Blog Lawn Care Software
Home Forum Contract & Flyer Templates Blog Software Videos Podcast Calculators / Estimators Store Mower Review Design It Yourself Lawn Business School

Go Back   GopherHaul Landscaping & Lawn Care Business Marketing Forum > Business > Trials & Tribulations - The drama of running a business and of life.

Trials & Tribulations - The drama of running a business and of life. It's not as easy as it looks. Running a business is full of drama. Customers, employees, money, family, time. You name it, it's a problem. Share with us your drama and how you handled it.

Truck in Shop - Out of Commission


Trials & Tribulations - The drama of running a business and of life.

It's not as easy as it looks. Running a business is full of drama. Customers, employees, money, family, time. You name it, it's a problem. Share with us your drama and how you handled it.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 09-26-2012, 06:36 PM
Hedgemaster Hedgemaster is offline
new member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 2,772
Rep Power: 0
Hedgemaster is on a distinguished road
Default Truck in Shop - Out of Commission

On Mon, my truck started making a bad noise in the front. I was already scheduled to have it inspected on Tues (as that's one of my "off/light" days), but after hearing the noise, I decided to only do the remaining jobs on the way back home and skip the few that were a ten mile drive - no sense risking it.

As luck would have it, a brake line blew about half a mile from home. The pedal went mushy and having had the same thing happen once before, I knew what was happening. Fortunately I was able to get it (with trailer) backed into my drive (on a hill) without rolling into my neighbor's house.

The shop is half a mile away and I was able to drive it there Tues morning to have it looked at.
The noise: Front wheel bearing (the other one was replaced several months ago)
The brake line: Blew in rear. One section was replaced 2 years ago with recommendation to have others changed due to deterioration. Time went on and I forgot about it.
Due to location of the one blown, replacing it without damaging others may prove difficult. Since all are looking "iffy", and I don't want to lose my brakes again, I gave the OK to replace anything that "needs" replacing.

More brakes: Front calipers and hoses need replaced. Yay.
I expected brakes and rotors, as it eats rotors, but not this time around.



Add in the wheel bearing, oil change, inspection/emission and I'm looking at around $1,400 and it won't be ready until Thurs eve. (And they are pushing me ahead of others because they know I need my truck to make money)

Subtract for lost mowing wages for two days and this blows royally.
I considered renting a truck for a day (thurs), but I don't think it's worth the hassle and added cost for the truck/gas for the few lawns it will keep me on schedule with.

This is the longest I've been without my vehicle (out of commission for one day before this) and it sucks.
Prepare accordingly. If you don't have a plan for a situation like this, you may want to consider one.
Reply With Quote

Stop guess-timating. Learn how to estimate and make money! $$$
Mow Time Estimator Lawn Care Price Estimator Mulch and Topsoil Calculator Snow Plow Estimate Calculator


  #2  
Old 09-26-2012, 06:43 PM
wat5150 wat5150 is offline
new member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 604
Rep Power: 0
wat5150 is on a distinguished road
Default

Lawn care business tipsLawn Care Business Book
Sorry to hear that. it does suck but at least you get your truck back fairly soon. My rear end went in my Silverado 2500 last year. it took 2 weeks and cost about $2 grand with new brake lines and such. I guess it can always be worse.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-26-2012, 07:10 PM
Hedgemaster Hedgemaster is offline
new member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 2,772
Rep Power: 0
Hedgemaster is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wat5150 View Post
Sorry to hear that. it does suck but at least you get your truck back fairly soon. My rear end went in my Silverado 2500 last year. it took 2 weeks and cost about $2 grand with new brake lines and such. I guess it can always be worse.
Yeah, initially they were talking sometime next week, but it's a mom & pop garage and they tend to do what they can to work with people. He's gotten me in and out quickly (with the wife's car as well) while doing only what is necessary to keep costs down on a few occasions.

I'd have been a long time customer, but I've always had new vehicles with warranties from the dealer and never needed his services until about two years ago.

The truck is a 2001 Silverado (with only 55,000 miles) purchased new and thus far the only repairs have been one section of brake line two years ago, one front wheel bearing a few months ago, and a few sets of brakes and rotors.
Oh, and while under warranty, a power mirror wire was replaced.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-26-2012, 07:11 PM
SECTLANDSCAPING SECTLANDSCAPING is offline
new member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: CT
Posts: 1,912
Rep Power: 0
SECTLANDSCAPING is on a distinguished road
Default

You should order the stainless steel brake lines. There pre bent. You just connect and bleed the lines. There only about $150. Thats the same price the shop will charge you for the $30 of line with 400% mark up.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-26-2012, 07:18 PM
Cashin H&P Cashin H&P is offline
new member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Bedford NH
Posts: 409
Rep Power: 0
Cashin H&P is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgemaster View Post
On Mon, my truck started making a bad noise in the front. I was already scheduled to have it inspected on Tues (as that's one of my "off/light" days), but after hearing the noise, I decided to only do the remaining jobs on the way back home and skip the few that were a ten mile drive - no sense risking it.

As luck would have it, a brake line blew about half a mile from home. The pedal went mushy and having had the same thing happen once before, I knew what was happening. Fortunately I was able to get it (with trailer) backed into my drive (on a hill) without rolling into my neighbor's house.

The shop is half a mile away and I was able to drive it there Tues morning to have it looked at.
The noise: Front wheel bearing (the other one was replaced several months ago)
The brake line: Blew in rear. One section was replaced 2 years ago with recommendation to have others changed due to deterioration. Time went on and I forgot about it.
Due to location of the one blown, replacing it without damaging others may prove difficult. Since all are looking "iffy", and I don't want to lose my brakes again, I gave the OK to replace anything that "needs" replacing.

More brakes: Front calipers and hoses need replaced. Yay.
I expected brakes and rotors, as it eats rotors, but not this time around.



Add in the wheel bearing, oil change, inspection/emission and I'm looking at around $1,400 and it won't be ready until Thurs eve. (And they are pushing me ahead of others because they know I need my truck to make money)

Subtract for lost mowing wages for two days and this blows royally.
I considered renting a truck for a day (thurs), but I don't think it's worth the hassle and added cost for the truck/gas for the few lawns it will keep me on schedule with.

This is the longest I've been without my vehicle (out of commission for one day before this) and it sucks.
Prepare accordingly. If you don't have a plan for a situation like this, you may want to consider one.
Dude it sucks. I got in a car crash a week ago. I had my friends bobcat on the trailer and a women cut out in front of me. Long story short i couldnts stop fast enough and I hit her totaling her prius. Insurance deemed it her falt so good news is my insurance wont go up but I wont have my truck back from the body shop untill the end of next week! Thats 3 weeks with out my truck. Luckly my grandpa gave me his old truck a few months ago so I do have a back up but boy this sucks! Sorry to hear about your truck hedge what are you using while yours is in the shop?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-26-2012, 08:32 PM
Hedgemaster Hedgemaster is offline
new member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 2,772
Rep Power: 0
Hedgemaster is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SECTLANDSCAPING View Post
You should order the stainless steel brake lines. There pre bent. You just connect and bleed the lines. There only about $150. Thats the same price the shop will charge you for the $30 of line with 400% mark up.
I fully expected the "that's too much - do it yourself" post and that's great for those who can, but that's not me. If I could, I would, but I'm not about to screw around "learning" with something as important as my brakes.

Also, this shop has been good about not selling me more than I need. They have helped save me money in the past where others were trying to hose me - I'll give them my money - as much as it sucks to do in such quantities.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-26-2012, 08:38 PM
Hedgemaster Hedgemaster is offline
new member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 2,772
Rep Power: 0
Hedgemaster is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashin home and property View Post
Dude it sucks. I got in a car crash a week ago. I had my friends bobcat on the trailer and a women cut out in front of me. Long story short i couldnts stop fast enough and I hit her totaling her prius. Insurance deemed it her falt so good news is my insurance wont go up but I wont have my truck back from the body shop untill the end of next week! Thats 3 weeks with out my truck. Luckly my grandpa gave me his old truck a few months ago so I do have a back up but boy this sucks! Sorry to hear about your truck hedge what are you using while yours is in the shop?
I'm just not working. I have nothing else to use. (unless anyone thinks a Cavalier would work - LOL)

I was going to rent a truck, but most rentals (I've not found any actually) don't have receivers for towing. If it were going to be in the shop longer, I'd consider it and toss a push mower in the back, but it's not critical to get the lawns cut that I'll miss this week.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-26-2012, 08:51 PM
SECTLANDSCAPING SECTLANDSCAPING is offline
new member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: CT
Posts: 1,912
Rep Power: 0
SECTLANDSCAPING is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgemaster View Post
I fully expected the "that's too much - do it yourself" post and that's great for those who can, but that's not me. If I could, I would, but I'm not about to screw around "learning" with something as important as my brakes.

Also, this shop has been good about not selling me more than I need. They have helped save me money in the past where others were trying to hose me - I'll give them my money - as much as it sucks to do in such quantities.
Its really not complicated. I barely do any of the work on my trucks but I learned the cooler and brake lines will always rot. So I replace them as soon as I get the truck with a permanent fix. To prevent a on the road break down. You can even tell the shop to install stainless steel lines and youll never have to worry about brake lines again.

The most time consuming part is bending them. As far as installing they just screw in. So if you get the pre bent kits, there no cutting or bending. It wont even take 2 hours to do. I watched them done once or twice and been doing it since. Most the shops I been to try to charge 6-8 hours of work.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09-26-2012, 08:53 PM
wat5150 wat5150 is offline
new member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 604
Rep Power: 0
wat5150 is on a distinguished road
Default

Get a bike and tow your push mower!! Lol. I swear I was reading a post somewhere. A guy was towing a mower around with a bicycle!! Funny sh!t.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 09-27-2012, 05:54 AM
Lopes Lawn Care's Avatar
Lopes Lawn Care Lopes Lawn Care is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: CT
Posts: 213
Rep Power: 4
Lopes Lawn Care is on a distinguished road
Default

That really sucks Hedge, hope your back up and running soon. I had a line break yrs ago. My pops who's a mechanic came by and put a vise grip on the broken line. This prevented the fluid from coming out when I pressed the brakes and made it possible for me to make it home to fix the line. Sect is right, it was fairly easy to fix if you get the pre-shaped lines.

It's really surprising that the brake lines would go only after 55,000 miles. My ford f150 has got 220,000 on it and I've only replaced one line. Not to say that they weren't changed before I bought the truck.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Commission employees ConvLawncare Lawn Care Employees Discussions 12 03-22-2013 12:32 PM
My Shop DillonB92 General Talk 18 10-18-2010 11:44 AM
Our Shop Spyder Graphix Truck & Trailer Sign Design, silk screened apparel & uniform discussion 2 11-12-2009 02:42 PM
What's a standard commission for new jobs? abby General Business Discussions 5 02-08-2009 06:53 PM
Best Office - Shop Steve General Business Discussions 56 12-24-2007 10:54 AM

» Recent Threads
  RatingTitle, Username, & Date Last Post Replies Views
Is it too late to do...
markty
06-16-2015 05:28 PM
Yesterday 07:34 PM
by wolfpacker53
5 1,988
I dont know what to do...
Bradcook21
06-21-2015 08:49 AM
Yesterday 07:33 PM
by stallman419
12 2,169
Should I buy this Exmark...
googus
Yesterday 09:22 AM
Yesterday 03:29 PM
by googus
3 80
Just about mid year, how...
GreenWorx
06-24-2015 07:05 PM
Yesterday 02:53 PM
by American L&T
6 1,918
another newish job for me
holymoly
06-07-2015 08:34 AM
Yesterday 02:06 PM
by American L&T
9 2,120
Unemployment rates drop,...
Steve
07-02-2015 12:40 PM
Yesterday 09:42 AM
by Steve
2 73
Before & After tree...
COREtreeservice
07-01-2015 09:20 PM
07-01-2015 09:20 PM
by COREtreeservice
0 74
Dogs
Mr. Mow
06-29-2015 02:37 PM
07-01-2015 11:28 AM
by Steve
6 1,879
Ready to learn and get...
Koley Lawn & Landscape
06-28-2015 05:16 AM
07-01-2015 11:26 AM
by Steve
8 1,870
Three Stripe Land Care...
hammr04
06-30-2015 07:19 PM
07-01-2015 11:24 AM
by Steve
1 73
Country Life Lawn Care
darleneh
06-29-2015 11:24 AM
06-30-2015 01:25 PM
by Steve
3 1,735
Rubber mulch...
avetslawncare
06-24-2015 09:28 PM
06-29-2015 09:23 PM
by Chilehead
6 1,875
Marketing ideas
xandrew245x
04-29-2014 06:35 AM
06-25-2015 07:11 PM
by GreenWorx
34 5,748
Never ending sod jobs
avetslawncare
06-05-2015 09:46 PM
06-25-2015 11:42 AM
by Steve
11 2,357
Weed and Feed Service...
mike94740
06-23-2015 05:50 PM
06-24-2015 09:56 PM
by avetslawncare
2 1,792
Trimming hedges / trees,...
Hard-Body lawn & garden
06-23-2015 07:08 PM
06-24-2015 09:59 AM
by Steve
1 1,792
Hi Everyone from Arkansas
KellyMarie
06-04-2015 04:16 PM
06-23-2015 01:34 PM
by KellyMarie
4 2,059
how to make customers...
Bradcook21
05-27-2015 05:04 PM
06-23-2015 06:36 AM
by GreenWorx
7 2,300
problems with a customer...
LawnCareMan280
06-16-2015 10:26 PM
06-22-2015 11:11 AM
by Steve
6 2,095
Please review this FREE...
markty
06-21-2015 07:42 AM
06-22-2015 11:00 AM
by Steve
1 1,813
A good commercial bid...
burtle
06-20-2015 09:09 PM
06-22-2015 10:56 AM
by Steve
1 1,880
What would you do with...
holymoly
06-20-2015 06:48 PM
06-22-2015 10:48 AM
by Steve
1 1,841
New Member just joined...
vgoleco@hotmail.com
06-19-2015 03:49 PM
06-22-2015 10:42 AM
by Steve
2 1,839
Credit Cards - What's in...
Shark1611
06-16-2015 03:04 PM
06-21-2015 07:24 PM
by Chilehead
4 1,943
Blade usage
Wolf4dk
06-16-2015 12:18 AM
06-21-2015 05:35 PM
by kslawn
4 1,946
Hello, I am new to the...
adamslawnservices
06-17-2015 08:06 PM
06-19-2015 10:28 AM
by Steve
3 1,870
First commercial bid
SGL1
06-12-2015 08:57 PM
06-18-2015 05:04 PM
by SGL1
9 2,328
Needing a website built
burtle
06-17-2015 09:02 AM
06-18-2015 11:02 AM
by Steve
7 2,022
I have been rude and...
biglee
06-15-2015 10:11 PM
06-18-2015 10:46 AM
by Steve
10 2,105
Start LIKING FACEBOOK...
rlclawncare123
02-26-2015 12:06 AM
06-17-2015 08:38 AM
by burtle
9 3,193
Customer keeps adding...
Mr. Mow
06-13-2015 06:22 AM
06-16-2015 10:23 AM
by Steve
11 2,334
Pass discounts onto...
burnell76
06-03-2015 06:33 PM
06-16-2015 10:02 AM
by burnell76
3 2,041
burned grass only where...
nhauto
06-15-2015 05:28 PM
06-16-2015 09:45 AM
by Steve
2 1,909
Half year mark review.
Steve
06-02-2015 11:24 AM
06-15-2015 01:04 PM
by Steve
18 2,645
These are the days on...
ExtremeLawncareServices
01-11-2015 10:41 AM
06-15-2015 01:01 PM
by Steve
86 9,708
New Member
Bruce Fehr
06-05-2015 07:13 PM
06-15-2015 12:53 PM
by Steve
6 2,044
New to the business,...
CarefreeMowing
06-12-2015 02:36 PM
06-15-2015 12:50 PM
by Steve
1 1,928
Beginner Mistakes:...
Steve
01-31-2007 11:45 AM
06-13-2015 08:48 AM
by holymoly
45 12,028
New to the forum, new to...
CarefreeMowing
06-11-2015 12:35 PM
06-12-2015 10:44 AM
by Steve
2 1,843
problems with a customer
LawnCareMan280
05-19-2015 06:28 PM
06-11-2015 10:50 PM
by stallman419
8 2,400
Website Review
Outdoordesignsknox
06-08-2015 08:44 PM
06-11-2015 09:48 PM
by Just for Cuts
13 2,291
Anyone need help? I have...
biglee
05-06-2015 12:22 PM
06-10-2015 01:45 PM
by holymoly
15 2,986
Hello from the GREAT...
gbfarmsllc
06-09-2015 11:10 AM
06-10-2015 01:29 PM
by Sprinkler Buddy
2 1,911
Hey guys and gals, I'm...
Joeyhall
06-03-2015 03:54 PM
06-08-2015 02:15 PM
by chris2500hd
8 2,158
Mowing Bermuda...
Mr. Mow
06-02-2015 12:45 PM
06-08-2015 12:45 PM
by Steve
12 2,317
Hey Guys
PrattLandscaping
06-07-2015 06:37 PM
06-08-2015 12:23 PM
by Steve
2 1,926
Share your stolen...
SGL1
05-27-2015 09:05 PM
06-08-2015 11:54 AM
by Steve
25 2,876
Hello there My name is...
zwalk1839
06-04-2015 11:10 PM
06-08-2015 11:52 AM
by Steve
4 2,040
Laid off oil field...
Mr. Mow
05-30-2015 09:03 AM
06-08-2015 06:20 AM
by Mr. Mow
4 2,154
How do you find one time...
Greg'slawnandlandscape
06-02-2015 09:57 PM
06-05-2015 09:49 PM
by avetslawncare
4 2,070
» Popular Tags
ad landscaping aerocore apartment bid apartment complex apartment lawn care estimate applying bark billy goat brushcutter blowout bob villa bush collections contract help curb appeal services deliquentaccounts design ditches door hangers edging employee problems equipment dealer equipment rental flyers foreman free advertising google growing a lawn care business hardscapes hills hiring husqvarna increase customers jobs landscape services landscaping landscaping training lawn aeration lawn care lawn mowing marketing more customers business mr dave mulch new business ordinance past due per hour charge per hour service plowing profit on employee push versus ride scag scripts sell the vision seo shell small engine repair snow plowing sq ft steep lawns swzt trailer tree tree pics trimmer rack up sell employee web design website website design www.greenturion.co.za
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.1.0

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:01 PM.


(C) 2011 Riggs Publications - Terms of use & Privacy Policy

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:01 PM.

(C) 2011 Riggs Publications - Terms of use & Privacy Policy