Lawn Care Business Forum Lawn Care Business Book Lawn Care Business Blog Lawn Care Software
Home Forum Contract & Flyer Templates Blog Software Videos Podcast Calculators / Estimators Store Mower Review Design It Yourself Lawn Business School

Go Back   GopherHaul Landscaping & Lawn Care Business Marketing Forum > Business > General Business Discussions

General Business Discussions A place to talk about general business discussions.

Where my customers @?


General Business Discussions

A place to talk about general business discussions.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 08-29-2012, 05:14 PM
Columbianalawns Columbianalawns is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Irmo, SC
Posts: 7
Rep Power: 3
Columbianalawns is on a distinguished road
Default Where my customers @?

So, I started this business in March, I've got around 20 accounts, I advertise w/ google adwords, flyers when I'm especially bored and business cards (sometimes). Should I just be content with waiting until next march to send out postcards and flood the areas I want with them? I know its time for fall services should I advertise those through post cards, fliers and what not?
Reply With Quote

Stop guess-timating. Learn how to estimate and make money! $$$
Mow Time Estimator Lawn Care Price Estimator Mulch and Topsoil Calculator Snow Plow Estimate Calculator


  #2  
Old 08-29-2012, 09:53 PM
Chaz Chaz is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 180
Rep Power: 4
Chaz is on a distinguished road
Default

Lawn care business tipsLawn Care Business Book
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbianalawns View Post
So, I started this business in March, I've got around 20 accounts, I advertise w/ google adwords, flyers when I'm especially bored and business cards (sometimes). Should I just be content with waiting until next march to send out postcards and flood the areas I want with them? I know its time for fall services should I advertise those through post cards, fliers and what not?
if you want work you gotta find it, talk to your current clients see if they are interested in anything soon, tell them you are looking for work and if they know anyone who needs some landscaping to pass your name.

otherwise do a little bit of advertising
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-29-2012, 09:54 PM
SECTLANDSCAPING SECTLANDSCAPING is offline
new member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: CT
Posts: 1,912
Rep Power: 0
SECTLANDSCAPING is on a distinguished road
Default

20 is not bad at all for your first year.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-30-2012, 03:20 AM
CHEESE2009's Avatar
CHEESE2009 CHEESE2009 is offline
Dr. Scott - Ruler of the Underworld
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Switzerland, Grindelwald
Age: 74
Posts: 4,475
Rep Power: 10
CHEESE2009 is on a distinguished road
Default

20 is fantastic for your first year, congrats!


From experience, the next batch of clients should (or have) come from referrals.

After your first year, you may actually lose several of those clients, because you will want to get rid of them. During my first year, I have learned what doesn't float well with me, for example:

Having less clients allowed me to start relationships
This turned out bad for me, because now (years later) they expect me to still have 20 minutes to spare talking with them.
GOOD + BAD = BAD

Being able to communicate with your clients may seem like a great thing at first, you will feel like a hero, the "lawn guy with a personal touch". This is going to kill you later on, but you actually need to have this learning experience.

Being new, I allowed for my clients to negotiate.
Big mistake, as you grow these clients will become a burden - they take up all kinds of space and resources. If you can't find a way for them to pay you more, you've gotta drop them and break hearts.

Being new, I accepted every lawn
I felt successful having many lawns, however, the majority of my starter lawns were terrible. We're talking hills on top of hills, with obstacles to maneuver around every couple of feet.... Sure I got paid well, but a lot of my time was wasted, a major drop in productivity.

e.g.;

Lots of crap lawns = less time
less time = dead end

lots of good lawns = more time
more time = more lawns

Right now I'm extremely picky. I wont even quote most lawns, and it's one of the best changes I have ever made.


ANYWAY,
For me, I always retain approximately 77% of my previous clients every year, and I receive 37% new business every year (mostly) from referrals.

All of my clients had an optional survey on their contract, but most were too ignorant to fill it out... One of the questions was, "how did you find out about us?"

One customer wrote, "I saw you cutting grass, I walked over and said hello can you cut my grass next year, you said ok"




Forgot what we're talking about here... Off topic yet?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-30-2012, 12:56 PM
Steve's Avatar
Steve Steve is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 36,982
Rep Power: 10
Steve has disabled reputation
Default

Are you getting referrals? Are you asking for them from your current customers? Are you marketing to the neighbors of your current customers?
__________________
- Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-30-2012, 04:54 PM
xandrew245x xandrew245x is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 648
Rep Power: 3
xandrew245x is on a distinguished road
Default

If I had 20 clients right now I would be very very happy.
__________________

Carlisle Lawn Care
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-30-2012, 06:19 PM
stevef1201 stevef1201 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 1,236
Rep Power: 6
stevef1201 is on a distinguished road
Default

NEVER STOP ADVERTISING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fall is comming- advertise fall cleanup
Spring is comming advertise lawn maintenance fertilizing spring clean up plant installaiton

etc etc etc

NEVER stop advertising.

Current customers, look for new customers There are thousands of people who are tired of the current company, or the guy quit, or they want something that the current guy does not do.

That is thousands in your area not nation wide.

You have potentialy 1000 customers waiting to hear from you
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-30-2012, 07:21 PM
CHEESE2009's Avatar
CHEESE2009 CHEESE2009 is offline
Dr. Scott - Ruler of the Underworld
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Switzerland, Grindelwald
Age: 74
Posts: 4,475
Rep Power: 10
CHEESE2009 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevef1201 View Post
You have potentialy 1000 customers waiting to hear from you
You think I'm some kind of wh0re or something?

lolololol
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-31-2012, 09:11 AM
Chaz Chaz is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 180
Rep Power: 4
Chaz is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHEESE2009 View Post
20 is fantastic for your first year, congrats!


From experience, the next batch of clients should (or have) come from referrals.

After your first year, you may actually lose several of those clients, because you will want to get rid of them. During my first year, I have learned what doesn't float well with me, for example:

Having less clients allowed me to start relationships
This turned out bad for me, because now (years later) they expect me to still have 20 minutes to spare talking with them.
GOOD + BAD = BAD

Being able to communicate with your clients may seem like a great thing at first, you will feel like a hero, the "lawn guy with a personal touch". This is going to kill you later on, but you actually need to have this learning experience.

Being new, I allowed for my clients to negotiate.
Big mistake, as you grow these clients will become a burden - they take up all kinds of space and resources. If you can't find a way for them to pay you more, you've gotta drop them and break hearts.

Being new, I accepted every lawn
I felt successful having many lawns, however, the majority of my starter lawns were terrible. We're talking hills on top of hills, with obstacles to maneuver around every couple of feet.... Sure I got paid well, but a lot of my time was wasted, a major drop in productivity.

e.g.;

Lots of crap lawns = less time
less time = dead end

lots of good lawns = more time
more time = more lawns

Right now I'm extremely picky. I wont even quote most lawns, and it's one of the best changes I have ever made.


ANYWAY,
For me, I always retain approximately 77% of my previous clients every year, and I receive 37% new business every year (mostly) from referrals.

All of my clients had an optional survey on their contract, but most were too ignorant to fill it out... One of the questions was, "how did you find out about us?"

One customer wrote, "I saw you cutting grass, I walked over and said hello can you cut my grass next year, you said ok"




Forgot what we're talking about here... Off topic yet?
I'd like to let at least 1 client in particular go, how did u go about letting a client go?
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08-31-2012, 09:32 AM
jymie's Avatar
jymie jymie is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Hamburg New York
Posts: 912
Rep Power: 7
jymie is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaz View Post
I'd like to let at least 1 client in particular go, how did u go about letting a client go?
I'm sorry but you will need to get another service, I must down size my area of service.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Some Customers... doug1980 General Talk 11 06-17-2009 10:35 AM
Converting Seasonal Customers to Annual Customers Greenmind Starting a lawn care business. 4 03-07-2008 01:28 AM
How NOT to get customers Steve Lawn Care Marketing & Post your marketing material for review! 0 11-28-2007 01:09 AM
Customers gene gls Gopher Software Support Archived Question & Answers - Read Only 1 03-20-2006 07:22 AM

» Recent Threads
  RatingTitle, Username, & Date Last Post Replies Views
pros and cons on...
Wolf4dk
Today 12:26 AM
Today 12:26 AM
by Wolf4dk
0 13
Online Estimator
acrajchel
Yesterday 05:58 PM
Yesterday 11:32 PM
by Just for Cuts
2 53
Opinions on truck wrap
Truro
02-28-2015 04:21 PM
Yesterday 11:32 PM
by Chilehead
5 136
My Newborn son
avetslawncare
02-27-2015 01:07 PM
Yesterday 08:13 PM
by SGL1
3 80
I'm Back With The Best...
aduttonater
02-21-2015 01:41 AM
Yesterday 07:57 PM
by SGL1
14 600
New Website
brian'slawncare
Yesterday 06:35 PM
Yesterday 07:51 PM
by SGL1
1 35
Ugliest lawn contest
Steve
02-23-2015 04:17 PM
Yesterday 04:18 PM
by SGL1
3 306
How to sell annual...
GroPro
02-17-2015 12:31 PM
Yesterday 01:46 PM
by Chilehead
8 588
stubbon people
Bradcook21
02-16-2015 04:25 PM
Yesterday 12:38 PM
by Mr. Mow
42 1,338
rock salt
Bradcook21
02-24-2015 11:17 AM
02-28-2015 08:46 AM
by jrs.landscaping
23 511
price for snow clearing?
Bradcook21
02-25-2015 09:11 PM
02-27-2015 08:54 PM
by Bradcook21
5 206
Facebook
element009
03-23-2011 09:36 AM
02-27-2015 11:37 AM
by ExtremeLawncareServices
52 11,828
Blade sharpener
Just for Cuts
07-04-2014 01:31 PM
02-26-2015 03:43 PM
by Mr. Mow
15 1,760
viking cyclon.
uppercut
01-29-2015 09:12 PM
02-26-2015 02:54 PM
by Steve
5 520
Start LIKING FACEBOOK...
rlclawncare123
02-26-2015 01:06 AM
02-26-2015 02:41 PM
by Steve
1 124
Another website update
Chilehead
02-26-2015 11:24 AM
02-26-2015 12:46 PM
by Just for Cuts
3 118
tips on creating a...
BLAZIER-1991
01-08-2015 07:22 PM
02-26-2015 02:44 AM
by ExtremeLawncareServices
5 727
New Lawn Care Service...
rlclawncare123
02-26-2015 12:49 AM
02-26-2015 02:24 AM
by ExtremeLawncareServices
1 132
Finally!
SGL1
02-22-2015 09:46 PM
02-25-2015 10:15 PM
by SGL1
13 470
leaf removal.. mulching...
facework84
08-05-2011 03:26 PM
02-25-2015 08:07 PM
by Steve
5 2,809
How many customers?
SC93
02-25-2015 12:40 AM
02-25-2015 04:59 PM
by SC93
5 247
Irrigation...
charlieallen
02-24-2015 01:16 PM
02-25-2015 02:58 PM
by Steve
6 242
use a small business...
BLAZIER-1991
12-25-2014 12:21 AM
02-25-2015 12:46 AM
by SC93
33 2,845
honest opinion please
uppercut
02-17-2015 02:30 AM
02-24-2015 07:12 PM
by homey
10 668
2nd year advice anyone
Bradcook21
02-18-2015 07:00 PM
02-24-2015 05:15 PM
by Bradcook21
14 652
need help
lawnexpers115
02-23-2015 05:36 PM
02-24-2015 02:49 PM
by Steve
3 283
Hello People
nativikee
02-23-2015 07:17 PM
02-24-2015 02:43 PM
by Steve
4 280
New member
qua ke zik 001
02-23-2015 11:24 AM
02-23-2015 03:40 PM
by Steve
1 239
New Video
Sprinkler Buddy
02-22-2015 09:18 PM
02-23-2015 03:19 PM
by Sprinkler Buddy
2 265
need help with SCAG...
apmAkron
02-23-2015 09:14 AM
02-23-2015 01:57 PM
by apmAkron
3 262
which degrees would be...
BLAZIER-1991
02-20-2015 04:46 PM
02-23-2015 01:47 PM
by Steve
9 426
Trouble logging in
avetslawncare
02-21-2015 02:06 PM
02-23-2015 01:44 PM
by Steve
1 576
John Deere Quik Track...
acrajchel
02-20-2015 03:12 PM
02-23-2015 01:40 PM
by Steve
1 294
Trimming and...
joshlawncare
02-15-2015 02:04 PM
02-22-2015 09:48 PM
by SGL1
5 628
where can i post this
zippy-phil
02-17-2015 07:58 PM
02-20-2015 02:02 PM
by Steve
7 513
These are the days on...
ExtremeLawncareServices
01-11-2015 11:41 AM
02-19-2015 04:43 PM
by ExtremeLawncareServices
29 2,675
Thumbs up or down?
lawnman1959
02-18-2015 11:40 AM
02-19-2015 01:22 PM
by Chilehead
3 427
Am I growing too fast?
Mattcrump
08-04-2011 11:54 PM
02-19-2015 12:34 PM
by Steve
11 5,221
Say Hello !!!
Steve
03-19-2007 12:18 PM
02-19-2015 12:31 PM
by Steve
1,215 372,235
How to obtain more...
winkie61
02-17-2015 08:31 AM
02-19-2015 12:29 PM
by Steve
3 539
Mowing 2 acres
Bradcook21
01-05-2015 03:13 PM
02-19-2015 12:23 PM
by Steve
16 1,485
FREE Custom Website...
breadcrumb
01-31-2015 10:58 PM
02-18-2015 01:32 PM
by Steve
5 1,130
Taking a step back
Billy Goat
02-16-2015 07:37 AM
02-18-2015 01:17 PM
by Chilehead
9 608
Employees
stevej
02-17-2015 05:25 PM
02-18-2015 12:47 PM
by Mr. Mow
1 416
Landscapers from hell!!
Chilehead
01-29-2015 03:55 PM
02-17-2015 07:48 PM
by ExtremeLawncareServices
9 1,033
Cannot access your Itune...
winkie61
02-17-2015 10:00 AM
02-17-2015 03:26 PM
by Steve
1 366
Advertising on internet...
Sprinkler Buddy
02-13-2015 01:22 PM
02-17-2015 01:00 PM
by Steve
9 689
new to this forum
NIP'N'TUK
02-14-2015 07:54 PM
02-16-2015 10:03 PM
by Steve
2 507
Advice on bidding 20...
sleepydunn
02-15-2015 07:38 PM
02-16-2015 09:59 PM
by Steve
4 628
New to me mower
xandrew245x
04-27-2014 08:02 PM
02-16-2015 09:48 PM
by Steve
8 1,409
» Popular Tags
2wd 4x4 ad landscaping aerocore apartment bid apartment lawn care estimate applying auger billy goat brushcutter bush contract help deliquentaccounts demonstration design ditches door hangers employee problems estimate facebook foreman four wheel drive google gopherhaul gravely growing a lawn care business how to jobs john deere quik trac landscape services lawn lawn care lawn care busines plan lawn care business lawn care business seo lawn care business show lawn care business website lawn care business website seo lawn care seo lawn care website lawn care website seo lawn mowing managing a lawn care business marketing marketing secrets mulch new mower per hour service podcast pricing pto secrets to landscaping seo shell shreaded snow plowing sq ft starting a lawn care business steep lawns theft toro toro grand stand tractor auger trailer trailer mate pro up sell employee web design website design winterization wood wright stander rh
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.1.0

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:44 AM.


(C) 2011 Riggs Publications - Terms of use & Privacy Policy

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:44 AM.

(C) 2011 Riggs Publications - Terms of use & Privacy Policy