Lawn Care Business Forum Lawn Care Business Book Lawn Care Business Blog Lawn Care Software
Home Forum Contract & Flyer Templates Blog Software Videos Podcast Calculators / Estimators Store Mower Review Design It Yourself Lawn Business School

Go Back   GopherHaul Landscaping & Lawn Care Business Marketing Forum > Just starting your lawn care or landscaping business? > Introduce Yourself

Introduce Yourself Welcome all new forum members. Please introduce yourself and tell us about you. Tell us about your company. How did you get started? How long have you been in business? What do you do for fun? Don't be shy, say hello! It's fun and educational to interact on the forum!

Slow and steady we go


Introduce Yourself

Welcome all new forum members. Please introduce yourself and tell us about you. Tell us about your company. How did you get started? How long have you been in business? What do you do for fun? Don't be shy, say hello! It's fun and educational to interact on the forum!
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 09-13-2012, 08:53 AM
nitalouise nitalouise is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 10
Rep Power: 2
nitalouise is on a distinguished road
Default Slow and steady we go

Hi Everyone,

Slowly getting the business up and running, with a lot of education from this forum and many others. Our business is that of 2 people, husband and wife team, I being the wife and the business end of it. He has had 4 steady customers and many one time jobs for the past 2 years, all neighbors in our area, and word of mouth has brought quite a few 1 time handyman jobs. Him being a Carpenter by trade has really helped in that area also, but as you may know the Carpentry trade can get slow to almost nothing which has happend to him in the past year. So we decided if he can keep 4 fulltime customers for 2 years, why can't we get and keep more. That's when we decided to start calling this a business. We are slowly gathering information on things we need to learn, deciding a name and logo and so on. He does snow blowing so that's what the plan is for this winter, then in the Spring start a full-blown marketing campaigne after we aquire all the equiptment needed, a truck being one of them in order to break out of the surrounding area. Anyone out there have any suggestions for someone who has been dabbling in it and has decided to take it a few steps farther? Also, do you think people will be put off by a husband and wife team, I will be dealing a lot with the customers on the business end of it. Are they going to have an issue with that from your experience? Also, I can't seem to find any info as to weather Pennsylvania requires a Business Liscence to Operate in the state, some say yes some say no. Im not talking about a state tax number or federal tax number either. Many questions, also, or if you can think of anything else we many need in the state of PA. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote

Stop guess-timating. Learn how to estimate and make money! $$$
Mow Time Estimator Lawn Care Price Estimator Mulch and Topsoil Calculator Snow Plow Estimate Calculator


  #2  
Old 09-13-2012, 01:04 PM
Steve's Avatar
Steve Steve is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 35,737
Rep Power: 10
Steve has disabled reputation
Default

Lawn care business tipsLawn Care Business Book
Welcome to our forum!

Quote:
Anyone out there have any suggestions for someone who has been dabbling in it and has decided to take it a few steps farther?
Can you scale up your marketing? Go through your social network and talk to people you know. Ask around and see if anyone needs any property care of maintenance. Hand out business cards to them and ask them to give an extra to someone they know.

Quote:
Also, do you think people will be put off by a husband and wife team, I will be dealing a lot with the customers on the business end of it. Are they going to have an issue with that from your experience?
There are many husband and wive teams on here and they tend to be successful. Their are many great points about doing it that way. One can play good guy while the other can play bad guy. It helps with collections and when bidding on work you are unsure of. Plus someone can answer the phones and respond quickly to small fires that tend to grow into big fires.

Quote:
Also, I can't seem to find any info as to weather Pennsylvania requires a Business Liscence to Operate in the state, some say yes some say no. Im not talking about a state tax number or federal tax number either.
We have many members on here from PA. Depending on the services you offer, there may be a license requirement. I'd check online to find out for sure. Each township can differ on this issue so there is no way for knowing for sure unless you do a little digging.
__________________
- Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-14-2012, 08:19 AM
Caskey Lawns & Landscapes's Avatar
Caskey Lawns & Landscapes Caskey Lawns & Landscapes is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Gettysburg PA
Posts: 281
Rep Power: 3
Caskey Lawns & Landscapes is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitalouise View Post
Hi Everyone,

Slowly getting the business up and running, with a lot of education from this forum and many others. Our business is that of 2 people, husband and wife team, I being the wife and the business end of it. He has had 4 steady customers and many one time jobs for the past 2 years, all neighbors in our area, and word of mouth has brought quite a few 1 time handyman jobs. Him being a Carpenter by trade has really helped in that area also, but as you may know the Carpentry trade can get slow to almost nothing which has happend to him in the past year. So we decided if he can keep 4 fulltime customers for 2 years, why can't we get and keep more. That's when we decided to start calling this a business. We are slowly gathering information on things we need to learn, deciding a name and logo and so on. He does snow blowing so that's what the plan is for this winter, then in the Spring start a full-blown marketing campaigne after we aquire all the equiptment needed, a truck being one of them in order to break out of the surrounding area. Anyone out there have any suggestions for someone who has been dabbling in it and has decided to take it a few steps farther? Also, do you think people will be put off by a husband and wife team, I will be dealing a lot with the customers on the business end of it. Are they going to have an issue with that from your experience? Also, I can't seem to find any info as to weather Pennsylvania requires a Business Liscence to Operate in the state, some say yes some say no. Im not talking about a state tax number or federal tax number either. Many questions, also, or if you can think of anything else we many need in the state of PA. Thanks in advance.
Go to the PA open for business site it will tell yu all you need to know for PA..
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New to the biz-slow start berryjam Introduce Yourself 13 09-17-2012 10:31 AM
Slow to introduce myself steven59937 Introduce Yourself 4 12-09-2011 10:57 PM
Things are Slow/Finding new things to do osbornl1 Starting a lawn care business. 10 06-26-2011 06:04 PM
Fast or slow? Steve General Talk 1 12-26-2006 02:09 PM

» Recent Threads
  RatingTitle, Username, & Date Last Post Replies Views
Truck Signage
Dan Tanner
Yesterday 11:00 PM
Today 06:38 AM
by BelleCityLawn1
2 48
REO calling
Dan Tanner
Yesterday 05:03 PM
Today 05:45 AM
by kslawn
4 89
roof shoveling
CDLAWNCARE
02-21-2014 10:15 AM
Today 04:26 AM
by dalenpalmer
12 730
What Fertilizer to Use?
acrajchel
04-07-2014 01:56 PM
Yesterday 10:13 PM
by grassdoctore
8 242
These are the days on...
ExtremeLawncareServices
03-22-2014 09:12 AM
Yesterday 08:26 PM
by ExtremeLawncareServices
30 947
Nationwide lawn care...
Billy Goat
04-15-2014 05:21 PM
Yesterday 07:35 PM
by stevef1201
8 153
Accepting credit cards,...
Darksteel
03-17-2014 08:01 PM
Yesterday 01:02 PM
by jymie
15 670
Instagram
Gerardo_Landscape
Yesterday 11:28 AM
Yesterday 11:28 AM
by Gerardo_Landscape
0 31
Help with weed liability!
Prolawnofchatt
04-15-2014 09:10 AM
Yesterday 11:20 AM
by kslawn
3 125
Trimec
acrajchel
04-15-2014 08:24 PM
Yesterday 11:10 AM
by Steve
3 72
leaf removal
tlf59263
04-15-2014 10:00 PM
Yesterday 11:05 AM
by Steve
2 94
Gopher Forum Discount!
BlackRain75
04-12-2014 10:44 PM
Yesterday 10:50 AM
by Steve
9 225
hello
NFrailey
04-15-2014 01:39 PM
Yesterday 10:48 AM
by Steve
1 68
Any greenhouse operators...
GoGreenerKS
04-15-2014 11:21 AM
Yesterday 10:43 AM
by Steve
3 89
Pricing a Mulch Job
dmcalpi
04-07-2014 02:16 PM
Yesterday 09:40 AM
by jymie
21 548
google earth
CDLAWNCARE
04-12-2014 03:24 PM
Yesterday 09:36 AM
by jymie
8 187
Looking for advice on a...
Tekeda1
04-13-2014 09:53 AM
Yesterday 08:54 AM
by Tekeda1
12 247
There has to be an...
CDLAWNCARE
04-14-2014 12:59 PM
04-15-2014 04:06 PM
by Dan Tanner
6 144
First Day Back!
BelleCityLawn1
04-09-2014 09:13 PM
04-15-2014 11:16 AM
by Steve
11 282
Mow America
stevegredler
04-13-2014 01:02 PM
04-14-2014 09:53 PM
by kslawn
5 159
Power Broom
acrajchel
04-14-2014 07:46 AM
04-14-2014 12:47 PM
by CDLAWNCARE
2 84
Say Hello !!!
Steve
03-19-2007 11:18 AM
04-14-2014 11:34 AM
by Steve
1,176 284,239
Equipment reviews
Greg'slawnandlandscape
04-09-2014 07:17 AM
04-14-2014 11:27 AM
by Greg'slawnandlandscape
13 375
Sulky and Turf Tracer
acrajchel
04-07-2014 01:44 PM
04-14-2014 10:51 AM
by Steve
8 274
Aerating Prices?
Dan Tanner
04-08-2014 03:16 PM
04-14-2014 10:31 AM
by Steve
13 378
Estimating help
acrajchel
04-11-2014 06:06 PM
04-14-2014 10:20 AM
by Steve
3 140
Lawn Renovation
stevef1201
04-11-2014 12:00 PM
04-14-2014 10:03 AM
by Steve
5 154
Need help bidding church...
GreenRidge Lawn&Landscape
04-07-2014 08:01 PM
04-14-2014 09:49 AM
by Steve
12 364
Hello all
Griff20114
04-12-2014 05:08 PM
04-14-2014 09:46 AM
by Steve
1 84
Step by Step Spring Lawn...
WarriorLawnscaping
04-10-2014 07:01 AM
04-14-2014 09:43 AM
by Steve
5 200
Jeff Cowden
jcowden
04-11-2014 07:27 PM
04-14-2014 09:39 AM
by Steve
1 90
Exmark Commercial 30...
Dan Tanner
04-11-2014 05:35 AM
04-14-2014 09:37 AM
by Steve
4 163
What Was Your Setup When...
superrman77
02-11-2014 10:53 AM
04-14-2014 08:04 AM
by acrajchel
21 1,530
Small guy time to get a...
googus
04-08-2014 08:16 AM
04-13-2014 07:18 PM
by A. Kulak Landscaping
9 290
Weekly vs. Bi-weekly
CDLAWNCARE
04-12-2014 01:48 PM
04-13-2014 06:03 PM
by kslawn
9 298
Weed ID help
TwinBrosLC
04-12-2014 10:39 AM
04-13-2014 07:40 AM
by stevef1201
4 128
Lexington, KY
acrajchel
04-07-2014 01:06 PM
04-11-2014 09:49 PM
by acrajchel
1 113
Food Plot Management
BlackRain75
04-11-2014 10:20 AM
04-11-2014 03:51 PM
by Steve
4 113
Estimating a job
acrajchel
04-08-2014 11:07 AM
04-11-2014 03:32 PM
by Steve
6 259
New Boomless Sprayer!
BlackRain75
01-03-2014 01:01 PM
04-11-2014 03:25 PM
by Steve
11 981
Hello....
SWFloridaLawns
04-10-2014 06:15 PM
04-11-2014 02:28 PM
by Steve
2 111
Truck, Trailer,...
hawthornelawncare
12-23-2011 12:01 AM
04-10-2014 10:33 PM
by ExtremeLawncareServices
78 24,956
Trading Accounts
goodtimez
04-09-2014 05:42 PM
04-10-2014 01:55 PM
by Steve
2 143
Grass that has...
erock289
04-09-2014 10:21 AM
04-10-2014 01:52 PM
by Steve
3 156
Prowrap Trimmer Engine...
Steve
05-24-2006 07:05 PM
04-10-2014 01:09 PM
by Steve
10 2,187
1st annual Easter egg...
Greg'slawnandlandscape
04-09-2014 06:58 AM
04-10-2014 01:07 PM
by Steve
1 102
Hello everyone
aceslawnandgarden
04-03-2014 06:54 PM
04-10-2014 01:06 PM
by Steve
9 355
Weed control programs
Mallard91
04-02-2014 12:25 PM
04-10-2014 12:56 PM
by Steve
6 322
homeowner vs...
GoGreenerKS
04-07-2014 10:54 AM
04-10-2014 12:52 PM
by Steve
8 264
Hello
smgibson
04-07-2014 10:06 PM
04-10-2014 12:39 PM
by Steve
2 110
» Popular Tags
2wd 4x4 advertisement article marketing birdscaping blower care charge christmas christmas light service credit card customers echo exmark fall ferris financing flower bed for sale four wheel drive franchise gopherhaul gravely gravely 34" zero turn health holiday holiday decorating how much to charge installation invoice kansas city labor cost late lawn lawn care lawn care business lawn care business show lawn clarksville lawn service clarksville tn leaf cleanup lesco lighting brass outdoor lights llc llp marketing mowing mulch mulch price new and restored landscapes new buisness new business office management oil podcast promotion redmax scag seo snow sole proprietorship starting a business stihl subcontractor theft of services tips tree care unreasonable walker yard clarksville zero turn
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.1.0

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:38 AM.


(C) 2011 Riggs Publications - Terms of use & Privacy Policy

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:38 AM.

(C) 2011 Riggs Publications - Terms of use & Privacy Policy