Lawn Care Business Forum Lawn Care Business Book Lawn Care Business Blog Lawn Care Software
Home Forum Contract & Flyer Templates Blog Software Videos Podcast Calculators / Estimators Store Mower Review Design It Yourself Lawn Business School

Go Back   GopherHaul Landscaping & Lawn Care Business Marketing Forum > Lawn Care, Landscaping, and Property Management Forums > General Talk

General Talk If it doesn't fit anywhere else, post it here.

Outdoor wood furnace


General Talk

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, post it here.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 09-10-2012, 09:06 AM
xandrew245x xandrew245x is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 648
Rep Power: 3
xandrew245x is on a distinguished road
Default Outdoor wood furnace

I was wondering if any of you guys use an outdoor wood furnace to heat your home?


I currently have a boiler and hot water baseboard that runs off of heating oil, and man that **** is expensive.

An outdoor wood furnace would work great for heating my house and my hot water, and on top of it I could heat my garage without feeling bad about wasting excess money, hell I could even heat my pool!

Just wondering if anyone uses one, if you like it or not or could recommend any brands to me.
__________________

Carlisle Lawn Care
Reply With Quote

Stop guess-timating. Learn how to estimate and make money! $$$
Mow Time Estimator Lawn Care Price Estimator Mulch and Topsoil Calculator Snow Plow Estimate Calculator


  #2  
Old 09-10-2012, 09:33 AM
dpld dpld is offline
new member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: nj
Posts: 885
Rep Power: 0
dpld is on a distinguished road
Default

Lawn care business tipsLawn Care Business Book
i looked into them and loved the idea especially when i get all the premium firewood i could want for free.

the problem i have had is here in my state NJ the towns are in a all out campaign against them and have passed ordinances prohibiting them.

i am certain that is not the case elsewhere and probably pertains to my home state that we appropriately call "New Germany" and i was very disappointed that i was not allowed to use one.

i have done a lot of research on them and the BTU's that they put out is enormous and you can get units that have enough output that you can heat your house, garage, swimming pool and driveway at once with one single unit.

they are very efficient as well as you can hook up a secondary fuel to them where if you ran them out of wood or could not get out to it to reload it, it will switch over to keep the heat flowing.

they also get more time out of each load then traditional means of burning wood and overall are not much more then a furnace for your home.

i would say if you can use one where you live to go for it and as i said if i was not prevented from using one i would have had one years ago.
my buddy has one and he says it is the best thing he has ever done in regards to heating his home and when i visited him in january his home was so hot he had to open windows to cool it down.

i thought that was pretty funny because anyone who uses oil or gas would not be in that kind of position without putting themselves in the poor house not to mention that when you are paying for the fuel you have a tendency to keep the heat on the low side rather then the high side.

good luck with that.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-10-2012, 10:00 AM
xandrew245x xandrew245x is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 648
Rep Power: 3
xandrew245x is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpld View Post
i looked into them and loved the idea especially when i get all the premium firewood i could want for free.

the problem i have had is here in my state NJ the towns are in a all out campaign against them and have passed ordinances prohibiting them.

i am certain that is not the case elsewhere and probably pertains to my home state that we appropriately call "New Germany" and i was very disappointed that i was not allowed to use one.

i have done a lot of research on them and the BTU's that they put out is enormous and you can get units that have enough output that you can heat your house, garage, swimming pool and driveway at once with one single unit.

they are very efficient as well as you can hook up a secondary fuel to them where if you ran them out of wood or could not get out to it to reload it, it will switch over to keep the heat flowing.

they also get more time out of each load then traditional means of burning wood and overall are not much more then a furnace for your home.

i would say if you can use one where you live to go for it and as i said if i was not prevented from using one i would have had one years ago.
my buddy has one and he says it is the best thing he has ever done in regards to heating his home and when i visited him in january his home was so hot he had to open windows to cool it down.

i thought that was pretty funny because anyone who uses oil or gas would not be in that kind of position without putting themselves in the poor house not to mention that when you are paying for the fuel you have a tendency to keep the heat on the low side rather then the high side.

good luck with that.
There was an ordinance in my township that it had to be 200' of every boundary line, but that changed in january when some old people were elected out. Now there is no laws against them.

I know exactly what you mean, when I am not home I keep the temperature as low as I can, and when I'm home I keep it just warm enough that I don't freeze, but I would love to just walk into a nice warm cozy house once.
__________________

Carlisle Lawn Care
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-10-2012, 11:05 AM
stevef1201 stevef1201 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 1,152
Rep Power: 6
stevef1201 is on a distinguished road
Default

Now realize I am talking about a small 1 bedroom, 1 bath, open kitchen living room house. About 800 SF. This was a friends house when I lived in Fairbanks AK. He had a wood buring stove, one that you can get right now, he would stoke it at night, and the place was HOT. when he got up in the morning throw a couple of logs on, open the damper some, and make his coffee right on top. He would also use the thing for making his breakfast. He used about a cord of wood every two or three weeks, and beleive me when I tell you it was far from 'warm enogh to keep from freezeing'. Now of course the insulations was great, so keeping it warm when it was around 50 below was not real hard.

Properly operating wood stoves cost less and are more effectiant than coal or fuel oil.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-10-2012, 11:35 AM
xandrew245x xandrew245x is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 648
Rep Power: 3
xandrew245x is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevef1201 View Post
Now realize I am talking about a small 1 bedroom, 1 bath, open kitchen living room house. About 800 SF. This was a friends house when I lived in Fairbanks AK. He had a wood buring stove, one that you can get right now, he would stoke it at night, and the place was HOT. when he got up in the morning throw a couple of logs on, open the damper some, and make his coffee right on top. He would also use the thing for making his breakfast. He used about a cord of wood every two or three weeks, and beleive me when I tell you it was far from 'warm enogh to keep from freezeing'. Now of course the insulations was great, so keeping it warm when it was around 50 below was not real hard.

Properly operating wood stoves cost less and are more effectiant than coal or fuel oil.
I know a couple people around here that have outdoor furnaces and love them.

They said during our typical winter they only use 3-4 cords of wood a winter.

Around here even if I bought the wood, that is only $50-100 a cord, much cheaper than the $1600 I paid to heat my house last winter.
__________________

Carlisle Lawn Care
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-10-2012, 12:35 PM
dpld dpld is offline
new member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: nj
Posts: 885
Rep Power: 0
dpld is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by xandrew245x View Post
I know a couple people around here that have outdoor furnaces and love them.

They said during our typical winter they only use 3-4 cords of wood a winter.

Around here even if I bought the wood, that is only $50-100 a cord, much cheaper than the $1600 I paid to heat my house last winter.

plus don't forget the fire is not in your house and neither is the smoke and ashes.
the outdoor furnaces give you the best of both worlds in having a home feel like a traditional heating system without all the muss and fuss of the stove being in your house.

plus the outdoor furnaces can get up to 36 hours out of each load so you don't have to deal with stoking the fire throughout the day.

my friends that have wood stoves homes smell like smoke and that gets old after a while as well as it can cause issues with breathing over the years.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-10-2012, 02:38 PM
Steve's Avatar
Steve Steve is online now
Administrator
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 36,540
Rep Power: 10
Steve has disabled reputation
Default

There had been a couple of members in the past that used them. One I think was using wood pellets as the fuel source so he could have it automatically feed the fire as needed.

Another I think just used wood and the outdoor heater was set a way back from his home.
__________________
- Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wood Chipper Shark1611 Online Lawn Care Estimator - Help me bid this job 6 09-18-2013 04:35 PM
Wood Cutting & Splitting Attachment SECTLANDSCAPING Truck, Trailer, and Outdoor Power Equipment Discussion, Repairs. 6 01-16-2012 02:02 PM
Wood Restoration The Cleaning Doctor General Talk 3 05-23-2010 07:04 PM
wood signs makbootzy Show Off - Picture Post - Photo Gallery 9 04-01-2008 11:55 AM
Fire Wood Signs AMW Graphics Truck & Trailer Sign Design, silk screened apparel & uniform discussion 1 11-29-2007 01:58 PM

» Recent Threads
  RatingTitle, Username, & Date Last Post Replies Views
These are the days on...
ExtremeLawncareServices
03-22-2014 09:12 AM
Today 03:33 PM
by biglee
160 12,038
Lawn Care business...
crieg122
10-23-2014 01:23 PM
Today 03:27 PM
by biglee
17 758
Pavers
crieg122
10-28-2014 02:49 PM
Today 12:49 PM
by Steve
6 271
Client won't pay...
WesleySnips
Yesterday 02:53 PM
Today 12:00 PM
by Steve
6 190
Hi Steve From West...
Mr. Mow
10-21-2014 01:59 PM
Today 11:56 AM
by Steve
5 587
Got my first lawn job...
SGL1
06-11-2014 09:19 PM
Today 09:53 AM
by Max Wagner
30 2,540
Gie-review / What's new...
ExtremeLawncareServices
10-25-2014 09:19 AM
Today 09:30 AM
by ExtremeLawncareServices
7 486
Business Name
sanchez5
10-28-2014 11:55 PM
Today 05:51 AM
by ringahding1
10 310
"Price...
Mr. Mow
Yesterday 03:21 PM
Today 05:48 AM
by ringahding1
3 156
Help a brother...
tbtigers03
09-28-2014 11:41 AM
Today 05:41 AM
by ringahding1
15 1,959
sod job
SGlawncare
Yesterday 08:21 PM
Yesterday 08:21 PM
by SGlawncare
0 19
Difference between lawn...
sanchez5
10-29-2014 04:20 PM
Yesterday 02:08 PM
by Steve
2 193
My Newest Toy (B.P....
Dan Tanner
10-23-2014 05:50 PM
10-29-2014 12:26 PM
by Steve
6 546
West cost lawn prices
SGlawncare
10-09-2014 09:51 PM
10-28-2014 11:08 PM
by SGlawncare
4 905
Say Hello !!!
Steve
03-19-2007 11:18 AM
10-28-2014 02:51 PM
by Steve
1,193 341,149
Business Cards
crieg122
10-25-2014 12:03 PM
10-28-2014 02:37 PM
by crieg122
4 419
So how do you guys...
Mr. Mow
10-26-2014 07:55 AM
10-28-2014 04:56 AM
by Billy Goat
2 358
Pressure Washing Like a...
TNTurf
08-01-2014 11:47 PM
10-27-2014 10:36 PM
by SGlawncare
12 1,276
new to the forum
madmedic8575
10-24-2014 02:52 PM
10-27-2014 12:14 PM
by Steve
1 381
Dealing With Gas Can...
Mr. Mow
10-21-2014 01:41 PM
10-26-2014 10:59 AM
by stevef1201
13 742
Leaf removal
madmedic8575
10-24-2014 04:14 PM
10-26-2014 07:45 AM
by Mr. Mow
5 509
raking leaves ?
robert8509
10-22-2014 09:19 PM
10-25-2014 12:09 PM
by biglee
10 646
Leaf Box & Loader Set...
ringahding1
10-21-2014 06:20 AM
10-25-2014 11:46 AM
by crieg122
6 638
hey everyone
robert8509
10-22-2014 08:16 PM
10-24-2014 11:07 PM
by robert8509
7 539
12 Years in Business!
Chilehead
10-23-2014 08:07 AM
10-23-2014 11:08 PM
by Chilehead
2 456
Cheapskate Landlord...
Mr. Mow
10-20-2014 06:33 AM
10-23-2014 05:55 PM
by biglee
13 794
Hi from SoCal
Jmoney
10-23-2014 11:29 AM
10-23-2014 12:51 PM
by Steve
1 418
Workmans compensation...
CDLAWNCARE
10-15-2014 08:05 AM
10-23-2014 12:33 PM
by Steve
5 891
Pda
stevef1201
10-18-2014 02:05 PM
10-23-2014 06:12 AM
by ringahding1
4 718
Hello, from TEXAS
sanchez5
10-17-2014 09:56 PM
10-22-2014 01:27 PM
by Steve
6 782
Organic Lawn Care...
NHray
10-17-2014 06:05 PM
10-22-2014 01:23 PM
by Steve
3 744
first year update
cmdlawncare
08-12-2014 05:41 PM
10-22-2014 07:47 AM
by ringahding1
4 1,739
What parts do you carry...
Just for Cuts
10-17-2014 09:08 AM
10-21-2014 01:36 PM
by Mr. Mow
16 1,029
Jungle to Beautiful
stevef1201
10-17-2014 09:54 AM
10-21-2014 01:26 PM
by stevef1201
11 886
Sunny Beach Tennis...
SGL1
10-19-2014 11:24 PM
10-21-2014 01:04 PM
by SGL1
4 616
Have you ever had to...
SouthernRootsLawnCare
07-26-2014 02:41 PM
10-20-2014 08:34 PM
by biglee
10 2,217
Look out Bob Villa -...
Mr Dave
09-30-2014 10:06 AM
10-20-2014 05:42 PM
by SGL1
7 1,712
how to fi d commercial...
mchampion319
10-19-2014 09:50 PM
10-20-2014 04:41 PM
by Steve
1 588
Hello From Tennessee
mrmann901
10-17-2014 10:02 PM
10-20-2014 04:24 PM
by Steve
1 654
questions on order to...
jack2048
10-13-2014 11:15 AM
10-20-2014 03:27 PM
by Mr. Mow
15 1,112
This sucks...
Matther777
09-18-2014 04:56 PM
10-20-2014 02:14 PM
by Steve
14 2,649
Cement mixer
KevinsLawns
10-15-2014 08:03 PM
10-20-2014 02:11 PM
by Steve
7 839
Hello ! New guy Rob here
RWorthley1
10-17-2014 04:05 PM
10-20-2014 02:09 PM
by Steve
1 688
Snow Blowing
gwilson98
10-12-2014 02:21 PM
10-17-2014 02:51 PM
by Steve
6 1,035
Spreading Weeds?
WesleySnips
07-27-2014 09:46 PM
10-17-2014 07:49 AM
by SGL1
6 1,331
Grasswhoopins.com Anyone...
GRASS WHOOPINS
06-21-2011 11:38 PM
10-16-2014 01:30 PM
by ExtremeLawncareServices
42 9,742
I Want to buy old...
ExtremeLawncareServices
10-10-2014 10:04 PM
10-15-2014 09:12 PM
by ExtremeLawncareServices
6 1,047
Do you find weed eating...
chuck2s
10-15-2014 02:10 PM
10-15-2014 02:10 PM
by chuck2s
0 769
Incorporating &...
WesleySnips
10-01-2014 09:39 PM
10-15-2014 01:37 PM
by kslawn
20 1,908
Falling into business
stellarmowing
09-28-2014 04:35 PM
10-15-2014 05:57 AM
by ringahding1
8 1,901
» Popular Tags
4wd 4x4 aerocore apartment bid apartment lawn care estimate applying article marketing auger bid blades bush care charge collections subcontractor commercial decorating deliquentaccounts demonstration ditches employee problems estimate exmark ferris four wheel drive gopherhaul gravely growing a lawn care business how much to charge how to installation introduction john deere quik trac kawasaki landscape services lawn lawn care lawn care busines plan lawn care business lawn care business seo lawn care business show lawn care business website lawn care business website seo lawn care website mulch new mower patio install podcast pto redmax reo running a business scag search engine optimization seo shell snow snow plowing sprayer starting a business steep lawns steve stihl theft of services top dresser toro toro grand stand trailer mate pro tree turfgrass consulting walker
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.1.0

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:52 PM.


(C) 2011 Riggs Publications - Terms of use & Privacy Policy

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:52 PM.

(C) 2011 Riggs Publications - Terms of use & Privacy Policy