Lawn Care Business Forum Lawn Care Business Book Lawn Care Business Blog Lawn Care Software
Home Forum Contract & Flyer Templates Blog Software Videos Podcast Calculators / Estimators Store Mower Review Design It Yourself Lawn Business School

Go Back   GopherHaul Landscaping & Lawn Care Business Marketing Forum > Business > General Business Discussions

General Business Discussions A place to talk about general business discussions.

Where my customers @?


General Business Discussions

A place to talk about general business discussions.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 08-29-2012, 04:14 PM
Columbianalawns Columbianalawns is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Irmo, SC
Posts: 7
Rep Power: 4
Columbianalawns is on a distinguished road
Default Where my customers @?

So, I started this business in March, I've got around 20 accounts, I advertise w/ google adwords, flyers when I'm especially bored and business cards (sometimes). Should I just be content with waiting until next march to send out postcards and flood the areas I want with them? I know its time for fall services should I advertise those through post cards, fliers and what not?
Reply With Quote

Stop guess-timating. Learn how to estimate and make money! $$$
Mow Time Estimator Lawn Care Price Estimator Mulch and Topsoil Calculator Snow Plow Estimate Calculator


  #2  
Old 08-29-2012, 08:53 PM
Chaz Chaz is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 183
Rep Power: 4
Chaz is on a distinguished road
Default

Lawn care business tipsLawn Care Business Book
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbianalawns View Post
So, I started this business in March, I've got around 20 accounts, I advertise w/ google adwords, flyers when I'm especially bored and business cards (sometimes). Should I just be content with waiting until next march to send out postcards and flood the areas I want with them? I know its time for fall services should I advertise those through post cards, fliers and what not?
if you want work you gotta find it, talk to your current clients see if they are interested in anything soon, tell them you are looking for work and if they know anyone who needs some landscaping to pass your name.

otherwise do a little bit of advertising
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-29-2012, 08:54 PM
SECTLANDSCAPING SECTLANDSCAPING is offline
new member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: CT
Posts: 1,912
Rep Power: 0
SECTLANDSCAPING is on a distinguished road
Default

20 is not bad at all for your first year.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-30-2012, 02:20 AM
CHEESE2009 CHEESE2009 is offline
Dr. Scott - Ruler of the Underworld
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Switzerland, Grindelwald
Age: 74
Posts: 4,475
Rep Power: 0
CHEESE2009 is on a distinguished road
Default

20 is fantastic for your first year, congrats!


From experience, the next batch of clients should (or have) come from referrals.

After your first year, you may actually lose several of those clients, because you will want to get rid of them. During my first year, I have learned what doesn't float well with me, for example:

Having less clients allowed me to start relationships
This turned out bad for me, because now (years later) they expect me to still have 20 minutes to spare talking with them.
GOOD + BAD = BAD

Being able to communicate with your clients may seem like a great thing at first, you will feel like a hero, the "lawn guy with a personal touch". This is going to kill you later on, but you actually need to have this learning experience.

Being new, I allowed for my clients to negotiate.
Big mistake, as you grow these clients will become a burden - they take up all kinds of space and resources. If you can't find a way for them to pay you more, you've gotta drop them and break hearts.

Being new, I accepted every lawn
I felt successful having many lawns, however, the majority of my starter lawns were terrible. We're talking hills on top of hills, with obstacles to maneuver around every couple of feet.... Sure I got paid well, but a lot of my time was wasted, a major drop in productivity.

e.g.;

Lots of crap lawns = less time
less time = dead end

lots of good lawns = more time
more time = more lawns

Right now I'm extremely picky. I wont even quote most lawns, and it's one of the best changes I have ever made.


ANYWAY,
For me, I always retain approximately 77% of my previous clients every year, and I receive 37% new business every year (mostly) from referrals.

All of my clients had an optional survey on their contract, but most were too ignorant to fill it out... One of the questions was, "how did you find out about us?"

One customer wrote, "I saw you cutting grass, I walked over and said hello can you cut my grass next year, you said ok"




Forgot what we're talking about here... Off topic yet?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-30-2012, 11:56 AM
Steve's Avatar
Steve Steve is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 37,343
Rep Power: 10
Steve has disabled reputation
Default

Are you getting referrals? Are you asking for them from your current customers? Are you marketing to the neighbors of your current customers?
__________________
- Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-30-2012, 03:54 PM
xandrew245x xandrew245x is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 648
Rep Power: 3
xandrew245x is on a distinguished road
Default

If I had 20 clients right now I would be very very happy.
__________________

Carlisle Lawn Care
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-30-2012, 05:19 PM
stevef1201 stevef1201 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 1,236
Rep Power: 7
stevef1201 is on a distinguished road
Default

NEVER STOP ADVERTISING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fall is comming- advertise fall cleanup
Spring is comming advertise lawn maintenance fertilizing spring clean up plant installaiton

etc etc etc

NEVER stop advertising.

Current customers, look for new customers There are thousands of people who are tired of the current company, or the guy quit, or they want something that the current guy does not do.

That is thousands in your area not nation wide.

You have potentialy 1000 customers waiting to hear from you
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-30-2012, 06:21 PM
CHEESE2009 CHEESE2009 is offline
Dr. Scott - Ruler of the Underworld
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Switzerland, Grindelwald
Age: 74
Posts: 4,475
Rep Power: 0
CHEESE2009 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevef1201 View Post
You have potentialy 1000 customers waiting to hear from you
You think I'm some kind of wh0re or something?

lolololol
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-31-2012, 08:11 AM
Chaz Chaz is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 183
Rep Power: 4
Chaz is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHEESE2009 View Post
20 is fantastic for your first year, congrats!


From experience, the next batch of clients should (or have) come from referrals.

After your first year, you may actually lose several of those clients, because you will want to get rid of them. During my first year, I have learned what doesn't float well with me, for example:

Having less clients allowed me to start relationships
This turned out bad for me, because now (years later) they expect me to still have 20 minutes to spare talking with them.
GOOD + BAD = BAD

Being able to communicate with your clients may seem like a great thing at first, you will feel like a hero, the "lawn guy with a personal touch". This is going to kill you later on, but you actually need to have this learning experience.

Being new, I allowed for my clients to negotiate.
Big mistake, as you grow these clients will become a burden - they take up all kinds of space and resources. If you can't find a way for them to pay you more, you've gotta drop them and break hearts.

Being new, I accepted every lawn
I felt successful having many lawns, however, the majority of my starter lawns were terrible. We're talking hills on top of hills, with obstacles to maneuver around every couple of feet.... Sure I got paid well, but a lot of my time was wasted, a major drop in productivity.

e.g.;

Lots of crap lawns = less time
less time = dead end

lots of good lawns = more time
more time = more lawns

Right now I'm extremely picky. I wont even quote most lawns, and it's one of the best changes I have ever made.


ANYWAY,
For me, I always retain approximately 77% of my previous clients every year, and I receive 37% new business every year (mostly) from referrals.

All of my clients had an optional survey on their contract, but most were too ignorant to fill it out... One of the questions was, "how did you find out about us?"

One customer wrote, "I saw you cutting grass, I walked over and said hello can you cut my grass next year, you said ok"




Forgot what we're talking about here... Off topic yet?
I'd like to let at least 1 client in particular go, how did u go about letting a client go?
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08-31-2012, 08:32 AM
jymie's Avatar
jymie jymie is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Hamburg New York
Posts: 912
Rep Power: 7
jymie is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaz View Post
I'd like to let at least 1 client in particular go, how did u go about letting a client go?
I'm sorry but you will need to get another service, I must down size my area of service.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Some Customers... doug1980 General Talk 11 06-17-2009 09:35 AM
Converting Seasonal Customers to Annual Customers Greenmind Starting a lawn care business. 4 03-07-2008 12:28 AM
How NOT to get customers Steve Lawn Care Marketing & Post your marketing material for review! 0 11-28-2007 12:09 AM
Customers gene gls Gopher Software Support Archived Question & Answers - Read Only 1 03-20-2006 06:22 AM

» Recent Threads
  RatingTitle, Username, & Date Last Post Replies Views
Irrigation
pboy8634
02-21-2010 12:46 PM
Yesterday 10:05 PM
by biglee
25 8,359
Beginner Mistakes:...
Steve
01-31-2007 11:45 AM
Yesterday 09:58 PM
by biglee
37 8,997
More Rain or Less?
Steve
05-20-2015 12:06 PM
Yesterday 01:48 PM
by Matther777
7 127
What's your next...
Steve
05-15-2015 11:54 AM
05-21-2015 11:23 PM
by biglee
13 306
Peace garden ideas
SGL1
05-13-2015 03:15 PM
05-21-2015 07:51 PM
by avetslawncare
16 444
Equipment dealers
mattthelawnguy
05-21-2015 04:33 PM
05-21-2015 04:33 PM
by mattthelawnguy
0 38
Show us your stripes
Just for Cuts
05-21-2015 03:07 PM
05-21-2015 03:07 PM
by Just for Cuts
0 55
problems with a customer
LawnCareMan280
05-19-2015 06:28 PM
05-21-2015 02:58 PM
by Just for Cuts
4 133
These are the days on...
ExtremeLawncareServices
01-11-2015 10:41 AM
05-20-2015 09:18 PM
by ExtremeLawncareServices
84 6,704
Total yard rehab
SGL1
04-23-2015 03:59 PM
05-19-2015 08:22 PM
by SGL1
15 757
Say Hello !!!
Steve
03-19-2007 11:18 AM
05-19-2015 04:12 PM
by NinaMarie86
1,223 388,894
New Lawn Service
carmelitaslawnservice
05-19-2015 10:02 AM
05-19-2015 02:51 PM
by Steve
1 82
Landscaper Jailed After...
SGL1
05-18-2015 08:15 AM
05-19-2015 02:37 PM
by Steve
5 174
Pictures of commercial...
avetslawncare
04-01-2015 09:47 PM
05-19-2015 02:29 PM
by Steve
38 1,941
feeling like im being...
Bradcook21
05-17-2015 07:33 AM
05-19-2015 02:11 PM
by Steve
6 190
good news yesterday
Bradcook21
05-17-2015 07:08 AM
05-19-2015 06:16 AM
by Bradcook21
3 122
ignition coil
jasonw
05-12-2015 05:31 PM
05-18-2015 12:07 PM
by Steve
3 244
Anyone need help? I have...
biglee
05-06-2015 12:22 PM
05-18-2015 12:06 PM
by Steve
13 636
Big (to me) mulch job
tl757
04-23-2015 05:32 PM
05-15-2015 08:46 PM
by biglee
22 1,445
big dog mowers?
Bradcook21
05-13-2015 04:03 PM
05-14-2015 10:55 AM
by Steve
4 271
Small HOA Bid
lxarth
05-06-2015 10:37 PM
05-13-2015 11:55 AM
by Steve
9 480
New company in Michigan
SEM
04-24-2015 09:27 PM
05-13-2015 11:51 AM
by Steve
11 610
Fired for refusing to...
Mr. Mow
05-09-2015 06:15 AM
05-12-2015 01:36 PM
by Steve
6 478
What a JERK!
Chilehead
05-06-2015 08:13 AM
05-12-2015 01:14 PM
by Steve
9 550
I have ZERO confidence...
Just for Cuts
05-01-2015 04:24 PM
05-12-2015 03:53 AM
by jrs.landscaping
31 1,027
landscape insurance
clarkslawn
03-30-2015 10:14 PM
05-11-2015 01:15 PM
by Steve
6 996
String trim BEFORE mow...
Mr. Mow
04-12-2015 08:13 AM
05-10-2015 07:50 PM
by ExtremeLawncareServices
9 1,021
Bought my first STIHL...
Mr. Mow
05-09-2015 06:29 AM
05-10-2015 08:36 AM
by Mr. Mow
9 390
advice wanted please and...
CHenricks
05-07-2015 08:40 PM
05-08-2015 04:20 PM
by CHenricks
7 405
Hello
SallyBorowicz
05-06-2015 11:14 AM
05-08-2015 02:21 PM
by Steve
3 324
Mower Advice
tl757
05-06-2015 02:31 PM
05-08-2015 01:45 PM
by Steve
6 443
Home today...Still...
biglee
05-06-2015 11:59 AM
05-07-2015 12:06 PM
by biglee
2 322
I'm Back With The Best...
aduttonater
02-21-2015 12:41 AM
05-07-2015 11:17 AM
by Steve
79 3,878
color fliers?
holymoly
04-18-2015 02:32 PM
05-07-2015 10:57 AM
by Steve
16 1,002
Looking good
mrsmichigan
05-06-2015 09:47 AM
05-07-2015 10:53 AM
by Steve
1 278
What are your biggest...
Steve
05-05-2015 01:24 PM
05-07-2015 10:52 AM
by Steve
2 317
is craiglist good to...
JBENI
04-16-2015 11:11 AM
05-06-2015 07:15 PM
by TheYardGuy
12 1,068
Go daddy web site and...
jcurr33
05-04-2015 06:00 PM
05-05-2015 11:57 AM
by Steve
2 352
How busy are you now?
Steve
05-04-2015 01:10 PM
05-05-2015 11:47 AM
by Steve
4 387
mowfinder
scaypa
04-27-2015 05:44 PM
05-04-2015 01:14 PM
by Steve
1 420
Latest video, Facebook...
Sprinkler Buddy
05-01-2015 06:54 AM
05-04-2015 01:09 PM
by Steve
3 384
weed
avetslawncare
04-16-2015 07:56 PM
05-01-2015 11:38 AM
by Steve
8 798
so i need somehelp with...
dalvan0
04-28-2015 07:43 PM
04-30-2015 10:55 PM
by avetslawncare
3 689
Anyone have a Lawn Care...
nishirandall
04-28-2015 08:45 PM
04-30-2015 12:00 AM
by Steve
1 458
mowing pic
joshlawncare
04-25-2015 12:34 PM
04-29-2015 10:55 PM
by Steve
5 562
Help with a truck
bdodson89
04-27-2015 08:15 PM
04-29-2015 10:47 PM
by Steve
4 455
Ford F250 Wheel loaders...
jrs.landscaping
04-28-2015 05:34 AM
04-29-2015 07:47 AM
by jrs.landscaping
2 420
Correct me if I'm wrong...
SGL1
04-26-2015 02:41 PM
04-28-2015 06:57 AM
by SGL1
12 578
equipment marketplace?
jrs.landscaping
04-27-2015 04:49 PM
04-27-2015 06:09 PM
by jrs.landscaping
2 394
Buying contracts /...
greenscaper123
04-26-2015 04:46 PM
04-27-2015 05:59 PM
by Steve
2 464
» Popular Tags
ad landscaping aerocore apartment complex auger bark billy goat brushcutter blades blowout bob villa collections commercial contract help curb appeal services demonstration design edging employee problems equipment dealer equipment rental facebook ferris flyers foreman grass growing a lawn care business hardscapes hills hiring husqvarna hydraulic john deere quik trac landscape landscape services lawn aeration lawn care lawn mowing marketing marketing secrets more customers business mr dave mulch ordinance past due patio install per hour charge pricing profit on employee pto push versus ride running a business scag v-ride scripts secrets to landscaping seo shell small engine repair square foot steep lawns sulky swzt toro grand stand trailer tree trimmer rack truck new used landscape up sell employee web design website won't return www.greenturion.co.za
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.1.0

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:45 AM.


(C) 2011 Riggs Publications - Terms of use & Privacy Policy

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:45 AM.

(C) 2011 Riggs Publications - Terms of use & Privacy Policy