Lawn Care Business Forum Lawn Care Business Book Lawn Care Business Blog Lawn Care Software
Home Forum Contract & Flyer Templates Blog Software Videos Podcast Calculators / Estimators Store Mower Review Design It Yourself Lawn Business School

Go Back   GopherHaul Landscaping & Lawn Care Business Marketing Forum > Business > General Business Discussions

General Business Discussions A place to talk about general business discussions.

Ma, Nh, Prov,ri


General Business Discussions

A place to talk about general business discussions.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 08-29-2012, 01:11 PM
SECTLANDSCAPING SECTLANDSCAPING is offline
new member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: CT
Posts: 1,912
Rep Power: 0
SECTLANDSCAPING is on a distinguished road
Default Ma, Nh, Prov,ri

Anyone in these areas that are looking to plow large parking lots contact me. I have bid sheets for about 20 locations all to far away from me. I figure ill pass to someone local.

If you get a contract a check in the mail would make me happy.
Reply With Quote

Stop guess-timating. Learn how to estimate and make money! $$$
Mow Time Estimator Lawn Care Price Estimator Mulch and Topsoil Calculator Snow Plow Estimate Calculator


  #2  
Old 09-02-2012, 01:26 PM
SECTLANDSCAPING SECTLANDSCAPING is offline
new member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: CT
Posts: 1,912
Rep Power: 0
SECTLANDSCAPING is on a distinguished road
Default

Lawn care business tipsLawn Care Business Book
Sometimes you guys surprise me. The bids are due tomorrow and not one person is interested.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-02-2012, 01:49 PM
dpld dpld is offline
new member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: nj
Posts: 885
Rep Power: 0
dpld is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SECTLANDSCAPING View Post
Sometimes you guys surprise me. The bids are due tomorrow and not one person is interested.

would'nt you need to be in those area's to have any interest ?

being that most on this site are small up and comers maybe they don't have the equipment to handle or the money for the additional insurance.

plus it is a holiday weekend and there is not much action here as well as who the heck had their deadline on a holiday?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-02-2012, 02:06 PM
SECTLANDSCAPING SECTLANDSCAPING is offline
new member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: CT
Posts: 1,912
Rep Power: 0
SECTLANDSCAPING is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpld View Post
would'nt you need to be in those area's to have any interest ?

being that most on this site are small up and comers maybe they don't have the equipment to handle or the money for the additional insurance.

plus it is a holiday weekend and there is not much action here as well as who the heck had their deadline on a holiday?
I posted it 4-5 days ago. People had time to see it.

There 3-4 MA guys on here. NH, CT, RI, only 1 or 2 in each state. So I can see the limited interest there.

They wouldnt know the size of the lots without requesting info. Some could be around 1/2 acre. Which will only take a half hour to plow. I do know most the Kohls and Shaws are a few acres each but even that can be handled by a solo op. A few locations do their own deicing and walks.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-02-2012, 03:45 PM
dpld dpld is offline
new member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: nj
Posts: 885
Rep Power: 0
dpld is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SECTLANDSCAPING View Post
I posted it 4-5 days ago. People had time to see it.

There 3-4 MA guys on here. NH, CT, RI, only 1 or 2 in each state. So I can see the limited interest there.

They wouldnt know the size of the lots without requesting info. Some could be around 1/2 acre. Which will only take a half hour to plow. I do know most the Kohls and Shaws are a few acres each but even that can be handled by a solo op. A few locations do their own deicing and walks.

well, if they were interested then they would have replied and being they have not i guess they are not.
at least you can say you tried.

why don't you take on the work and use subs?

i do and frankly i have to because i need dozens of trucks and machinery to handle my accounts as well as dozens of laborers to handle the walk ways and it is more profitable to use subs then to be bothered with carrying all that equipment all year.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-02-2012, 04:02 PM
SECTLANDSCAPING SECTLANDSCAPING is offline
new member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: CT
Posts: 1,912
Rep Power: 0
SECTLANDSCAPING is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpld View Post
well, if they were interested then they would have replied and being they have not i guess they are not.
at least you can say you tried.

why don't you take on the work and use subs?

i do and frankly i have to because i need dozens of trucks and machinery to handle my accounts as well as dozens of laborers to handle the walk ways and it is more profitable to use subs then to be bothered with carrying all that equipment all year.
I tried using subs last year and it didnt work out. These properties were only 15-20 miles away but with the amount of work I had by the time I got there it was to late. I cant let subs tarnish my reputation because they dont want to show up. Now I will only use subs for a back up option or when I know if theres a problem I can still get one of my guys there. Ill still use them but wont rely on them like that again.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-02-2012, 05:27 PM
Cashin H&P Cashin H&P is offline
new member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Bedford NH
Posts: 409
Rep Power: 0
Cashin H&P is on a distinguished road
Default

I am in nh but I just do drive ways. I would love to take on some bigger stuff but subs just seem like a pain in the neck. And I can't afford to hav
e equipment sitting.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-02-2012, 05:57 PM
dpld dpld is offline
new member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: nj
Posts: 885
Rep Power: 0
dpld is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SECTLANDSCAPING View Post
I tried using subs last year and it didnt work out. These properties were only 15-20 miles away but with the amount of work I had by the time I got there it was to late. I cant let subs tarnish my reputation because they dont want to show up. Now I will only use subs for a back up option or when I know if theres a problem I can still get one of my guys there. Ill still use them but wont rely on them like that again.

in order to use subs you need to have many, and you also have to better screen them in the hiring process to see if they have other work and they are using you as a back up plan.

you also need to have a binding sub contractor agreement that if they agree and sign it that they will be held accountable if they fail to deliver.

you need to have subs, back up subs and back ups for the back ups because you can not take anyone's word these days and you need to put yourself in a position to always have options.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09-02-2012, 06:06 PM
SECTLANDSCAPING SECTLANDSCAPING is offline
new member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: CT
Posts: 1,912
Rep Power: 0
SECTLANDSCAPING is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashin home and property View Post
I am in nh but I just do drive ways. I would love to take on some bigger stuff but subs just seem like a pain in the neck. And I can't afford to hav
e equipment sitting.
You dont even need a plow for these you would only have to do the following areas: store sidewalk, loading dock, entrances, and stairs for the emergency exists:

101 Nashua Mall Nashua,NH
30 Plaistow Road Plaistow,NH
2 Cluffs Crossing Road Salem, NH
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 09-02-2012, 06:12 PM
SECTLANDSCAPING SECTLANDSCAPING is offline
new member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: CT
Posts: 1,912
Rep Power: 0
SECTLANDSCAPING is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpld View Post
in order to use subs you need to have many, and you also have to better screen them in the hiring process to see if they have other work and they are using you as a back up plan.

you also need to have a binding sub contractor agreement that if they agree and sign it that they will be held accountable if they fail to deliver.

you need to have subs, back up subs and back ups for the back ups because you can not take anyone's word these days and you need to put yourself in a position to always have options.
Thats what I tried to do I was in contact with about 10 and only 2 would show. I only needed 2-3. I had guys telling me they were on the way and I wouldnt find out they didnt show till last minute. Others just never would pick up the phone. We had a real light winter with only 5 storms I think people found other work.

I could try the contract but how exactly would I word that? I did have a basic sub agreement but it didnt have any penalties in it.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump

» Recent Threads
  RatingTitle, Username, & Date Last Post Replies Views
Building credit
Matther777
Yesterday 05:20 PM
Today 06:35 PM
by Matther777
4 83
Spreading Weeds?
WesleySnips
Yesterday 09:46 PM
Today 06:21 PM
by kslawn
3 67
Have you ever had to...
SouthernRootsLawnCare
07-26-2014 02:41 PM
Today 01:36 PM
by Steve
2 98
From Concord NC
SouthernRootsLawnCare
07-26-2014 02:34 PM
Today 01:30 PM
by Steve
1 51
New from Texas
Livingston Lawn Care
07-25-2014 11:17 AM
Today 01:29 PM
by Steve
3 120
Echo Edger 'Neutral'
WesleySnips
07-25-2014 05:28 PM
Today 01:22 PM
by Steve
2 99
Single tree, mow customer
WesleySnips
06-27-2014 10:12 AM
Today 01:21 PM
by Steve
14 617
Left handed edging with...
SGL1
07-23-2014 08:59 PM
Today 07:39 AM
by SGL1
15 317
Echo PE 266 edger
stevef1201
07-01-2014 01:28 PM
Yesterday 10:14 PM
by WesleySnips
5 340
These are the days on...
ExtremeLawncareServices
03-22-2014 09:12 AM
Yesterday 01:21 PM
by ExtremeLawncareServices
80 4,636
Texas lawn care company...
Livingston Lawn Care
07-25-2014 11:29 AM
Yesterday 08:16 AM
by Just for Cuts
7 184
need some help geting...
dalvan0
07-13-2014 09:28 PM
07-26-2014 04:39 PM
by BLC7
7 325
new trailer help
mattthelawnguy
07-11-2014 08:21 PM
07-25-2014 06:31 PM
by mattthelawnguy
13 493
You know it;s gonna be a...
stevef1201
07-25-2014 08:50 AM
07-25-2014 01:34 PM
by Steve
1 97
Customer letters
kslawn
07-23-2014 06:17 AM
07-25-2014 01:20 PM
by Steve
5 206
Got my first lawn job...
SGL1
06-11-2014 09:19 PM
07-24-2014 07:09 PM
by SGL1
29 1,266
Need help determining...
Jbss861
07-20-2014 02:33 PM
07-24-2014 01:11 PM
by Steve
13 388
Should I ?
googus
07-22-2014 04:06 PM
07-24-2014 12:10 PM
by Steve
4 223
My First Apartment...
SSLCtn
05-26-2014 10:17 PM
07-24-2014 06:46 AM
by kslawn
15 920
Crop Rotation Techniques...
eastsidelandcare
07-17-2014 03:47 PM
07-24-2014 06:38 AM
by kslawn
3 223
Selling lawns like...
eastsidelandcare
07-17-2014 03:51 PM
07-24-2014 06:28 AM
by kslawn
3 276
Scag new "Eliminator"......
ExtremeLawncareServices
07-20-2014 10:45 AM
07-23-2014 05:37 PM
by Just for Cuts
9 309
need professional advice...
Fiddlers_green
07-20-2014 07:21 PM
07-23-2014 12:42 PM
by Steve
3 213
new to me box truck
jrayb39667
03-06-2014 10:20 PM
07-23-2014 12:40 PM
by Steve
15 1,417
Lawn Service back in...
LawnCareMan280
07-18-2014 09:00 PM
07-23-2014 11:48 AM
by Steve
4 249
Overspray?
stevef1201
07-21-2014 04:20 PM
07-23-2014 11:39 AM
by Steve
3 159
Hello Everyone! Newbie...
SLKlawn
07-17-2014 06:22 PM
07-22-2014 01:53 PM
by Steve
6 295
Proper height for lawn
rob lederhilger
05-26-2014 08:01 AM
07-21-2014 02:53 PM
by LawnDoctor
9 673
Blade sharpener
Just for Cuts
07-04-2014 12:31 PM
07-21-2014 01:48 PM
by Steve
9 521
What's my business worth?
Chaz
07-16-2014 01:35 PM
07-21-2014 01:45 PM
by Steve
4 304
1.5 Acre Jungle
WesleySnips
07-15-2014 05:57 PM
07-20-2014 11:31 AM
by ExtremeLawncareServices
21 619
Gopher schedule software
Ray
07-18-2014 04:13 PM
07-18-2014 04:13 PM
by Ray
0 197
2006 Chevy fuel pump...
KevinsLawns
07-17-2014 08:39 PM
07-18-2014 11:51 AM
by Steve
1 191
Halfway point of year!
Steve
07-01-2014 12:08 PM
07-18-2014 11:38 AM
by Steve
14 750
I got told to leave and...
gwilson98
06-16-2014 02:07 PM
07-17-2014 11:43 AM
by Steve
16 1,070
Hey guys this is the...
prmenter@gmail.com
07-07-2014 08:23 PM
07-16-2014 08:10 PM
by ExtremeLawncareServices
28 796
Mowing the hills
prmenter@gmail.com
07-08-2014 12:22 PM
07-16-2014 05:00 PM
by Just for Cuts
18 721
Say Hello !!!
Steve
03-19-2007 11:18 AM
07-15-2014 05:38 PM
by icon2000
1,184 320,677
Classified Ad Template...
bcfb
06-05-2013 02:40 AM
07-15-2014 11:16 AM
by Steve
15 3,741
Husqvarna pz 60
CDLAWNCARE
07-06-2014 06:50 PM
07-15-2014 08:53 AM
by kslawn
10 469
Lowballers
Chaz
07-11-2014 03:55 PM
07-14-2014 12:27 PM
by Steve
5 382
My new side job
Sprinkler Buddy
05-10-2014 05:23 AM
07-14-2014 12:15 PM
by Steve
10 841
Illegal spraying
GoGreenerKS
07-04-2014 09:11 AM
07-13-2014 10:36 PM
by GoGreenerKS
10 579
New Mower and Trailer
Chaz
06-25-2014 12:04 PM
07-13-2014 06:25 PM
by SGL1
7 591
What Fertilizer to Use?
acrajchel
04-07-2014 01:56 PM
07-12-2014 07:36 PM
by SGL1
21 1,914
Fuel and fuel additives
SGL1
07-06-2014 10:23 AM
07-11-2014 07:53 PM
by SGL1
15 579
Questions for a patchy...
jumcgee
07-09-2014 08:42 AM
07-11-2014 12:34 PM
by Steve
1 235
toro proline blades wont...
boog
06-25-2014 06:26 PM
07-11-2014 05:28 AM
by kslawn
18 681
Contents of Marketing to...
prmenter@gmail.com
07-09-2014 05:25 PM
07-10-2014 03:23 PM
by Steve
3 333
Shindaiwa
CLB454
05-13-2014 09:04 PM
07-10-2014 03:04 PM
by Steve
14 813
» Popular Tags
4wd advertisement article marketing auger bid charge christmas lighting christmas light service courtesy call credit card processing customers decorating escrow estimate exmark ferris fundraiser gopherhaul grass gravely gravely 34" zero turn hills holiday holiday decorating holiday lighting how much to charge introduction john deere quik trac lawn lawn care lawn care business lawn care business book lawn care business seo lawn care business show lawn care business website lawn care business website seo lawn care website leaf leaf removal lighting managing a lawn care business marketing mulch native plants new buisness new mower outdoor environments payment podcast property management company push versus ride redmax reo scag scripts search engine optimization seo snow starting a business starting a lawn care business steve stihl subcontractor theft toro trailer turfgrass consulting walker winter zero turn
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.1.0

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:39 PM.


(C) 2011 Riggs Publications - Terms of use & Privacy Policy

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:39 PM.

(C) 2011 Riggs Publications - Terms of use & Privacy Policy