Lawn Care Business Forum Lawn Care Business Book Lawn Care Business Blog Lawn Care Software
Home Forum Contract & Flyer Templates Blog Software Videos Podcast Calculators / Estimators Store Mower Review Design It Yourself Lawn Business School

Go Back   GopherHaul Landscaping & Lawn Care Business Marketing Forum > Business > General Business Discussions

General Business Discussions A place to talk about general business discussions.

High Price? No Problem!


General Business Discussions

A place to talk about general business discussions.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 08-13-2012, 11:59 PM
SouthallMowing SouthallMowing is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 122
Rep Power: 4
SouthallMowing is on a distinguished road
Default High Price? No Problem!

Today I got a phone call from a woman about 5 miles outside of my service area asking for an estimate. I nicely told her I'd take the job, but it's out of my service area. She wanted me to cut it ASAP. So I told her I can refer her to someone. She said that she can just push mow it if I can't do it. So by this time I'm wondering what is up with this. So I get there for the estimate. Nice plot of land. 2.34 acres to be exact. It's only going to be a 2 or 3 week job, once a week of course. Anyway, as I'm walking around I find nothing in the way besides a house for this. Awesome! Still don't really want to take the job. When I get to the outer edge of my service area my price is around $50. It's only another 5 minutes, so I'll give her an estimate and see what she says. So I tell her $80. (The whole next one to talk loses, comes into play here) There was a VERY long pause, and finally she says I'll ask my husband. Bam. I was thinking "He doesn't want to have to do it he doesn't care". So she says to go for it. I was happy and kinda mad at the same time. Dídn't want the job, but if she's going to throw her money away, why not toss it at me. Anyway, my question to you all is this...Has anyone ever jacked up the price cause they didn't want a job (that they could do)?
__________________
[center]CENTER]
Reply With Quote

Stop guess-timating. Learn how to estimate and make money! $$$
Mow Time Estimator Lawn Care Price Estimator Mulch and Topsoil Calculator Snow Plow Estimate Calculator


  #2  
Old 08-14-2012, 12:10 AM
SECTLANDSCAPING SECTLANDSCAPING is offline
new member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: CT
Posts: 1,912
Rep Power: 0
SECTLANDSCAPING is on a distinguished road
Default

Lawn care business tipsLawn Care Business Book
thats not a high price. I just quoted 2/3 acre for $80 right next door to my other client. It does include some light weeding but thats only 5 minutes or so every week.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-14-2012, 12:30 AM
WorkForMySelf WorkForMySelf is offline
new member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 210
Rep Power: 0
WorkForMySelf is on a distinguished road
Default

cut 2.35 acres for $80? She duped you
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-14-2012, 05:11 AM
LawnBoy0311 LawnBoy0311 is offline
new member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: East Coast
Posts: 1,169
Rep Power: 0
LawnBoy0311 is on a distinguished road
Default

right now i cut a yard a little over a half acre for $80, its got quite a bit of trimming though. with what you explained sounds like it will go for around $175+ here.

But to answer your question- yes. I have done it a few times. I actually just did it 2 days ago. This lady called and wanted her bush trimmed up, and weed/mulch her garden. The garden was very small-it would only require about 10 cubic ft of mulch. The whole job would only take me maybe 30 or 45 minutes. I quoted $195. Thats a no brainer that its not worth the price. She emailed me back and wanted me to start today. I told her the earliest I can start is next week and I need 50% paid. She said payment wasnt a problem, but wanted it done asap and she would call me in a few days to let me know if she couldn't find anyone else. When she calls, my schedule will be filled next week. I quoted such a high price because this lady was being a HUGE PITA and I could tell she was going to inspect every minor detail of work. This job was not worth it to me.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-14-2012, 06:48 AM
stevef1201 stevef1201 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 1,224
Rep Power: 6
stevef1201 is on a distinguished road
Default

I have 'jacked up' the price for jobs that I dont want, It is standard practice. If you dont get the job well you didnt want it anyhow, of you do get it you make good money. win win
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-14-2012, 06:53 AM
wat5150 wat5150 is offline
new member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 604
Rep Power: 0
wat5150 is on a distinguished road
Default

Sometimes when I read these posts I shake my head. It seems as though some people take clients and phone calls coming in for granted. Sure there are some lame clients but thats life, they are always going to be there no matter what you do for a job. We shouldnt take things(people calling for service,money coming in, extra jobs) for granted. I understand there are the crap jobs out there that we pass on if its just not worth it...I get that. What really makes me think is someone agreeing to go out and do the estimate, gets there and says the lawn is great, pretty straightforward and then tries to bid high so as to not get the job?!?!?!?!?!?!! Because you just really didnt want to?? Why are you doing this?? Why did you go to the estimate?? I mean this is @ss backwards business sense. I used to run a restaurant before I got into this. Its a cut throat industry(kind of like lawn care can be). Dont take the money and jobs for granted, someday they may not be there. remember that our economy is in the toilet, too many people struggling..And I read posts on here about Yeah I just didnt want to do it and well she would inspect every bit of my work...Really?? What do you expect of most people that are paying money for a service???? Sometimes they are demanding, sometimes too much so but we basically deal with it to get the check. I think some of you guys havent struggled before and just dont understand.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-14-2012, 08:01 AM
xandrew245x xandrew245x is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 648
Rep Power: 3
xandrew245x is on a distinguished road
Default

Your not leaving very much profit margin for yourself and your business, I would have probably charged at least $120 for a job like that.
__________________

Carlisle Lawn Care
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-14-2012, 01:19 PM
LawnBoy0311 LawnBoy0311 is offline
new member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: East Coast
Posts: 1,169
Rep Power: 0
LawnBoy0311 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wat5150 View Post
Sometimes when I read these posts I shake my head. It seems as though some people take clients and phone calls coming in for granted. Sure there are some lame clients but thats life, they are always going to be there no matter what you do for a job. We shouldnt take things(people calling for service,money coming in, extra jobs) for granted. I understand there are the crap jobs out there that we pass on if its just not worth it...I get that. What really makes me think is someone agreeing to go out and do the estimate, gets there and says the lawn is great, pretty straightforward and then tries to bid high so as to not get the job?!?!?!?!?!?!! Because you just really didnt want to?? Why are you doing this?? Why did you go to the estimate?? I mean this is @ss backwards business sense. I used to run a restaurant before I got into this. Its a cut throat industry(kind of like lawn care can be). Dont take the money and jobs for granted, someday they may not be there. remember that our economy is in the toilet, too many people struggling..And I read posts on here about Yeah I just didnt want to do it and well she would inspect every bit of my work...Really?? What do you expect of most people that are paying money for a service???? Sometimes they are demanding, sometimes too much so but we basically deal with it to get the check. I think some of you guys havent struggled before and just dont understand.
Maybe if we all lived in the same area, we'd all be the same. But we don't. I live in an area that has mostly government work. This "bad economy" everyone talks about hasn't affected this area. I moved here 5 years ago with ford explorer and all my clothes in the back. I had NOTHING to my name. I just got back from Iraq, finished my 4 years in the Marine Corps, and had to start all over. At one point I had to sell off a few personal things just to make my car payment. I now have 1 house and just bought another piece of property in NC. So YOU want to talk about STRUGGLE? Come on bro, you never know whos on the other end of the computer when your typing. For all I know someone is in here worth millions and only doing lawn care for fun! I have a full time job, I do this for extra $$. Because getting off at 2pm from work and having nothing to do is no fun. Not to mention I need something to keep me busy and tired so I don't have to take meds to fall asleep. But...oh yeah...thats a whole other STRUGGLE. Now I feel bad because you came from the restaurant business, so I'll explain on bidding high. I had a client call and ask for a quote. It was out of my service area, but I figured hey, why not. So I went. I bid high because of the extra travel, and got it. Now its worth it to me to drive that little extra ways. Bottom line, I'm looking to make money. I'm not looking for a head ache-but my purple heart explains why I have them all the time...oh wait...thats ANOTHER STRUGGLE.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-14-2012, 03:05 PM
wat5150 wat5150 is offline
new member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 604
Rep Power: 0
wat5150 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawnBoy0311 View Post
Maybe if we all lived in the same area, we'd all be the same. But we don't. I live in an area that has mostly government work. This "bad economy" everyone talks about hasn't affected this area. I moved here 5 years ago with ford explorer and all my clothes in the back. I had NOTHING to my name. I just got back from Iraq, finished my 4 years in the Marine Corps, and had to start all over. At one point I had to sell off a few personal things just to make my car payment. I now have 1 house and just bought another piece of property in NC. So YOU want to talk about STRUGGLE? Come on bro, you never know whos on the other end of the computer when your typing. For all I know someone is in here worth millions and only doing lawn care for fun! I have a full time job, I do this for extra $$. Because getting off at 2pm from work and having nothing to do is no fun. Not to mention I need something to keep me busy and tired so I don't have to take meds to fall asleep. But...oh yeah...thats a whole other STRUGGLE. Now I feel bad because you came from the restaurant business, so I'll explain on bidding high. I had a client call and ask for a quote. It was out of my service area, but I figured hey, why not. So I went. I bid high because of the extra travel, and got it. Now its worth it to me to drive that little extra ways. Bottom line, I'm looking to make money. I'm not looking for a head ache-but my purple heart explains why I have them all the time...oh wait...thats ANOTHER STRUGGLE.
You miss my point. My point is that there seems to be a lot of taking things for granted. Oh and if you think because I have a customer service background(restaurant) and I dont know what bidding high is your mistaken, very much so. I read in a post that someone doesnt want to do work because the client will scrutinize them, Oh thats too bad, but its called life. I applaud your military background and Im thankful to all our past and present service people but I dont think it has much to do with what Im talking about. You are lucky you live in an area not affected by our economy. I think thats about 1% of the country. You picked a good spot. But people p!ssing and moaning about oh I cant drive 5 mins or I dont want any feedback from a customer is just lame. My opinion, obviously you dont agree but it is what it is.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08-14-2012, 05:26 PM
LawnBoy0311 LawnBoy0311 is offline
new member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: East Coast
Posts: 1,169
Rep Power: 0
LawnBoy0311 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wat5150 View Post
You miss my point. My point is that there seems to be a lot of taking things for granted. Oh and if you think because I have a customer service background(restaurant) and I dont know what bidding high is your mistaken, very much so. I read in a post that someone doesnt want to do work because the client will scrutinize them, Oh thats too bad, but its called life. I applaud your military background and Im thankful to all our past and present service people but I dont think it has much to do with what Im talking about. You are lucky you live in an area not affected by our economy. I think thats about 1% of the country. You picked a good spot. But people p!ssing and moaning about oh I cant drive 5 mins or I dont want any feedback from a customer is just lame. My opinion, obviously you dont agree but it is what it is.
I didn't miss your point at all. I understand what you meant. Having spent 8 years in customer service, I also understand that too. BUT, to deal with a potential BAD customer, is not something I would want to deal with. I don't want to deal with a complainer that wants me there everyday to tell me something else I did "wrong", although it was never agreed that I would provide that service. Or if they try to get freebies out of me, saying I never did what they wanted, although it was something else I never agreed to do. Weeding out bad customers is definatly part of my business, because I don't want people bad mouthing me or my company. I work too hard for that. This goes for bad payers too. Your not a customer if you don't pay on time. I don't think people take things for granted. They try to think too much into this business. If it's profitable, take it. Even if its a little out of your service area.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Did I bid to high? caddy0291 General Talk 4 08-11-2011 04:08 PM
Was my bid to high or was I LOWBALLED!!!! winkie61 Online Lawn Care Estimator - Help me bid this job 14 03-23-2011 01:10 PM
You pay a high price for reassurance. Steve Money, Finances, Stocks, Bonds, & Investments. 0 03-11-2011 02:36 AM
just want to say high fatboy1450 Introduce Yourself 2 01-05-2011 06:44 PM
Getting high end customers Steve Lawn Care Marketing & Post your marketing material for review! 9 08-14-2010 10:30 AM

» Recent Threads
  RatingTitle, Username, & Date Last Post Replies Views
Stander Vs. Zt
totalscape
12-20-2014 07:57 PM
Today 12:29 AM
by rmccutchan
5 114
Complete body therapy...
zermin
Yesterday 11:51 PM
Yesterday 11:51 PM
by zermin
0 17
Repair or replace the...
lxarth
12-17-2014 05:07 PM
Yesterday 09:46 PM
by Just Cuts
10 306
Facebook
element009
03-23-2011 09:36 AM
Yesterday 04:33 PM
by stevef1201
38 9,897
Ideas on a large bid
Knaubone
Yesterday 11:57 AM
Yesterday 11:57 AM
by Knaubone
0 46
what do you "love" to...
calebmoss
07-06-2011 10:05 PM
Yesterday 12:52 AM
by rmccutchan
31 9,067
I'm BACK!
SuperiorPower
12-16-2014 11:08 PM
12-20-2014 11:33 PM
by SuperiorPower
7 263
These are the days on...
ExtremeLawncareServices
03-22-2014 10:12 AM
12-19-2014 09:45 PM
by ExtremeLawncareServices
189 16,768
Georgia Boys!
Chilehead
12-18-2014 10:23 PM
12-19-2014 09:36 PM
by Chilehead
2 124
Employee job training...
brookline
12-15-2014 08:15 PM
12-19-2014 07:48 PM
by SuperiorPower
9 371
Hello from Md
homey
12-17-2014 06:55 PM
12-19-2014 06:00 PM
by homey
5 215
Has Obamacare helped or...
Steve
12-18-2014 04:37 PM
12-19-2014 05:43 PM
by stevef1201
3 150
What Fertilizer to Use?
acrajchel
04-07-2014 02:56 PM
12-17-2014 01:11 PM
by Steve
23 3,023
Grass hopper mower
ExtremeLawncareServices
12-05-2013 09:51 AM
12-17-2014 09:40 AM
by SuperiorPower
34 6,170
Peco Bagger
AGPS
11-18-2014 02:20 PM
12-17-2014 09:13 AM
by SuperiorPower
15 1,387
New to Gopher Haul-from...
323k13l
12-12-2014 10:34 PM
12-15-2014 02:58 PM
by Steve
3 340
hi
creteland
12-12-2014 09:06 AM
12-15-2014 01:45 PM
by Steve
5 330
New addition to my small...
googus
12-12-2014 07:36 PM
12-15-2014 07:47 AM
by googus
4 406
Ferris IS700Z
rmccutchan
12-14-2014 01:10 AM
12-14-2014 11:41 PM
by rmccutchan
4 306
Charge what the market...
Billy Goat
12-09-2014 12:39 PM
12-14-2014 06:39 PM
by biglee
20 850
Hi from IL
steveinil
11-25-2014 02:07 PM
12-12-2014 07:18 AM
by steveinil
4 847
Utility Company Right of...
eastsidelandcare
12-11-2014 04:54 PM
12-11-2014 04:54 PM
by eastsidelandcare
0 315
leaf removal
Double J LLC
10-03-2014 05:24 PM
12-11-2014 04:50 PM
by eastsidelandcare
33 4,156
suggestions on full lawn...
Brian3137
12-10-2014 07:18 PM
12-11-2014 03:41 PM
by Steve
6 432
new to me box truck
jrayb39667
03-06-2014 11:20 PM
12-11-2014 09:43 AM
by Sprinkler Buddy
18 3,433
Hello from SW FL!!
5StarLawnscaping
12-05-2014 02:35 PM
12-10-2014 02:45 PM
by WesleySnips
7 673
Echo pb200 blower fuel...
googus
12-06-2014 09:03 PM
12-09-2014 06:35 PM
by Steve
3 526
Are you prepared for the...
Steve
12-02-2014 04:13 PM
12-09-2014 06:22 PM
by Steve
7 943
Email Address Name
Just Cuts
12-07-2014 09:49 PM
12-08-2014 03:15 PM
by Steve
3 470
Inspection form
stevef1201
12-07-2014 10:38 AM
12-08-2014 03:10 PM
by Steve
1 471
Truck, Trailer,...
hawthornelawncare
12-23-2011 01:01 AM
12-08-2014 12:37 PM
by jrs.landscaping
108 34,289
Back Pack Blower
Ian Lovejoy
11-09-2014 08:41 AM
12-07-2014 06:35 PM
by stevef1201
24 1,770
Innovation by mandate
bayoubandit
11-29-2014 01:33 PM
12-06-2014 03:27 PM
by SGL1
12 1,017
Trying something new,...
ExtremeLawncareServices
09-21-2014 10:07 PM
12-05-2014 11:06 AM
by Steve
9 2,307
Good help is hard to find
Hanks Lawn Care Services
11-19-2014 03:27 PM
12-04-2014 01:32 PM
by stevef1201
15 1,496
How many hours is too...
Just Cuts
12-04-2014 09:00 AM
12-04-2014 01:02 PM
by Just for Cuts
6 657
Does this sound like a...
googus
12-03-2014 07:47 AM
12-04-2014 12:37 PM
by Steve
5 734
New website
Chilehead
11-20-2014 04:39 PM
12-04-2014 12:27 PM
by Steve
14 1,267
New website
SGL1
12-02-2014 10:55 PM
12-03-2014 11:17 PM
by BLC7
19 903
Websites, how long...
Dan Tanner
03-09-2014 08:29 AM
12-03-2014 11:12 PM
by SGL1
21 3,292
I Want to buy old...
ExtremeLawncareServices
10-10-2014 11:04 PM
12-03-2014 10:36 PM
by ExtremeLawncareServices
8 1,912
GPS trackers for...
Billy Goat
12-02-2014 06:09 PM
12-03-2014 07:17 PM
by Steve
8 755
My site is on fronts page
tbtigers03
11-14-2014 05:58 PM
12-03-2014 06:31 PM
by SGL1
17 1,496
Hiring Subs over Temps
Billy Goat
12-02-2014 06:26 AM
12-03-2014 01:24 PM
by Steve
3 676
Thanksgiving cards
Steve
11-10-2008 11:57 AM
12-02-2014 11:11 PM
by SGL1
11 9,568
New parking area
ExtremeLawncareServices
11-07-2014 09:47 PM
12-02-2014 02:17 PM
by jrs.landscaping
12 1,527
Pressure Washing...
WesleySnips
07-31-2014 07:13 PM
12-02-2014 08:47 AM
by SGL1
6 1,549
old contracts
bayoubandit
11-29-2014 11:10 AM
12-01-2014 11:20 AM
by Steve
3 742
Hi to you NOTHERNERS
stevef1201
11-11-2014 05:56 PM
12-01-2014 10:54 AM
by Steve
9 1,319
Lawn care truck
Steve
10-10-2009 03:40 AM
12-01-2014 10:45 AM
by Steve
32 15,234
» Popular Tags
4wd 4x4 apartment complex apartment lawn care estimate applying bark bid bob villa care collections commercial decorating demonstration ditches edging employee problems estimate ferris four wheel drive gopherhaul hardscapes hills hiring how much to charge how to hydraulic installation introduction landscape services lawn lawn care lawn care busines plan lawn care business lawn care business seo lawn care business show lawn care business website lawn care business website seo lawn care seo lawn care website lawn care website seo managing a lawn care business mulch mulch price new buisness past due patio install per hour charge per hour service podcast reo scag v-ride scripts shell snow snow plowing sprayer starting a business starting a lawn care business steve sulky toro tractor auger trailer mate pro tree truck new used landscape turfgrass consulting up sell employee walk behind won't return wright stander rh
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.1.0

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:06 AM.


(C) 2011 Riggs Publications - Terms of use & Privacy Policy

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:06 AM.

(C) 2011 Riggs Publications - Terms of use & Privacy Policy