Lawn Care Business Forum Lawn Care Business Book Lawn Care Business Blog Lawn Care Software
Home Forum Contract & Flyer Templates Blog Software Videos Podcast Calculators / Estimators Store Mower Review Design It Yourself Lawn Business School

Go Back   GopherHaul Landscaping & Lawn Care Business Marketing Forum > Business > Lawn Care Marketing & Post your marketing material for review!

Lawn Care Marketing & Post your marketing material for review! Lawn Care Marketing, Advertising, and Public Relations Discussion.

taping business cards to doors


Lawn Care Marketing & Post your marketing material for review!

Lawn Care Marketing, Advertising, and Public Relations Discussion.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #11  
Old 07-12-2012, 12:16 PM
dpld dpld is offline
new member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: nj
Posts: 885
Rep Power: 0
dpld is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PVMS View Post
So,......Don't make offers in your marketing...
Don't use flyers.....
Don't introduce yourself to anybody??

Got me beat how you have a business at all. To not use "old fashioned" marketing media means not contacting 50% of your potential clients.
Most people intend to look someone up to call them, but either forget or put it off for what ever reason. If you give them a good reason to call "you", they will.
It really does not need to take a long time to build a business. I had 100 clients in my first year.
I made a deal to myself from the start, that if I was still on the tools myself after 5 years, I would have to reassess my way of thinking.

As far as sticking a business card on a door, Its not something that I would probably do myself, unless the card had an offer of some kind on it, otherwise i feel it may be better than nothing, but a quite passive form of marketing.

well, the only thing i can say is you are compareing apples to oranges.
what i mean is i have had the benifit of being in business for 23 years and for me personally my business is well established and being all i do is commercial work i really don't have to market no more like i did because i am in business to business directories as well as i get a ton of refferals from management co's.

to top it off the area i live is so saturated with landscapers that people have a landscaper,roofers and home remodelers knocking on their door everyday so in my area it would be more like standing in a line to knock on your door.

plus, my state and all the towns are so hoily toily that god forbid you knock on someones door you will probably have the cops called on you and summoned for solicataion.

i am sure things may vary from state to state but for gods sake man you are in another country and there is obviously nothing wrong with that but i am sure things are drasticly different with the good people down under vs the usa and how things are percieved.
people here are so paranoid that you are staking out their house to rob it or see if a woman is alone in a house that when their alarms go off in their head that knock on a door can lead to trouble and that would not be worth it as well as i would hate to see a hard working guy starting out trying to make a honest living get the shaft and his only crime is trying to drum up some business.
Reply With Quote

Stop guess-timating. Learn how to estimate and make money! $$$
Mow Time Estimator Lawn Care Price Estimator Mulch and Topsoil Calculator Snow Plow Estimate Calculator


  #12  
Old 07-12-2012, 06:35 PM
PVMS PVMS is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Melbourne, Australia.
Posts: 36
Rep Power: 3
PVMS is on a distinguished road
Default

Lawn care business tipsLawn Care Business Book
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpld View Post
well, the only thing i can say is you are compareing apples to oranges.
what i mean is i have had the benifit of being in business for 23 years and for me personally my business is well established and being all i do is commercial work i really don't have to market no more like i did because i am in business to business directories as well as i get a ton of refferals from management co's.

to top it off the area i live is so saturated with landscapers that people have a landscaper,roofers and home remodelers knocking on their door everyday so in my area it would be more like standing in a line to knock on your door.

plus, my state and all the towns are so hoily toily that god forbid you knock on someones door you will probably have the cops called on you and summoned for solicataion.

i am sure things may vary from state to state but for gods sake man you are in another country and there is obviously nothing wrong with that but i am sure things are drasticly different with the good people down under vs the usa and how things are percieved.
people here are so paranoid that you are staking out their house to rob it or see if a woman is alone in a house that when their alarms go off in their head that knock on a door can lead to trouble and that would not be worth it as well as i would hate to see a hard working guy starting out trying to make a honest living get the shaft and his only crime is trying to drum up some business.
Wow, things must be rough over there,......the crime rate must be very high for people to be like that.
I was referring to residential propertys and not commercial. I would not door knock for that kind of work.
We get also get alot of people knocking on doors selling electricity contracts and cable tv who are pains that I hate dealing with, but when I have done it in the past, I only introduce myself as the local contractor, and hand them a flyer with no sales pitch, other than to keep us in mind if they need sombody, and leave. I let them ask for a quote, which they more than often will.
I also put welcome letters in propertys that are for lease in my area.

I stongly believe that its far more efficient going to the client with marketing compared to waiting for them to search for me on the net.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 07-12-2012, 08:36 PM
dpld dpld is offline
new member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: nj
Posts: 885
Rep Power: 0
dpld is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PVMS View Post
Wow, things must be rough over there,......the crime rate must be very high for people to be like that.
I was referring to residential propertys and not commercial. I would not door knock for that kind of work.
We get also get alot of people knocking on doors selling electricity contracts and cable tv who are pains that I hate dealing with, but when I have done it in the past, I only introduce myself as the local contractor, and hand them a flyer with no sales pitch, other than to keep us in mind if they need sombody, and leave. I let them ask for a quote, which they more than often will.
I also put welcome letters in propertys that are for lease in my area.

I stongly believe that its far more efficient going to the client with marketing compared to waiting for them to search for me on the net.

well, its not that we have a high crime rate it is just the state of mind of the stuck up high and mighty people with money that we have here as well as it is also perception on how these kind veiw someone knocking on their door.

most of the common everyday hardworking class people here do their own lawns and when i did do residential i concentrated on the high income households because they got the money to pay you to do everything. they are more concerned about keeping up with the jone's and living the high life where they can not be bothered. but i find people with money which ultimately is the ideal type of client that all landscapers want don't generally hire door knockers as well as they just don't commonly do business that way and more often then not are turned off by that.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 07-12-2012, 09:04 PM
WorkForMySelf WorkForMySelf is offline
new member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 210
Rep Power: 0
WorkForMySelf is on a distinguished road
Default

unless you already have warrants your going to get a ticket... i have been soliciting for years and only person I have heard get arrested was when I was at another company and he was a sex offender (background check time) Other than that, are you going to get too scared to knock on a door? Just sit at home and waste away because in 2012 there is not a much better way to get clients that I have found..
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 07-12-2012, 09:28 PM
shadrach's Avatar
shadrach shadrach is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Indiana
Posts: 256
Rep Power: 5
shadrach is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorkForMySelf View Post
Other than that, are you going to get too scared to knock on a door? Just sit at home and waste away because in 2012 there is not a much better way to get clients that I have found. If you are a 20 year old company then maybe you should stay out of the conversation. This thread is for helping new businesses.
He makes some pretty good points, especially about higher end clientele.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 07-12-2012, 09:45 PM
Hedgemaster Hedgemaster is offline
new member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 2,772
Rep Power: 0
Hedgemaster is on a distinguished road
Default

While I don't suggest leaving business cards, I thought I'd touch on the comment about taping things and leaving a sticky mess...

I keep a roll of 3M IV tape in my truck in case I ever need to leave a note or something.
It tears off by hand, sticks to almost anything, and peels off easily without any risk of damage, or leaving behind sticky residue.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 07-12-2012, 11:06 PM
PVMS PVMS is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Melbourne, Australia.
Posts: 36
Rep Power: 3
PVMS is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadrach View Post
He makes some pretty good points, especially about higher end clientele.
When I was just out of school 20 years ago, I was a weekend warrior cutting lawns for extra cash. At the time I targeted one rich suburb, which turned out to be a big headache for me.
I found the very rich clients would often call all hours, and be very demanding on very short notice. If they had a party or what ever on, I would get a call in a last minute panic to come and clean things up. Most of them were tighter than a fish's bum too.
My best targets are middle class people with a nice car in the driveway, and long grass. Single women and the elderly are my best payers and best clients.

This is purely an Australian point of view though,.....things may be much different in the U.S.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 07-12-2012, 11:12 PM
WorkForMySelf WorkForMySelf is offline
new member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 210
Rep Power: 0
WorkForMySelf is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PVMS View Post
When I was just out of school 20 years ago, I was a weekend warrior cutting lawns for extra cash. At the time I targeted one rich suburb, which turned out to be a big headache for me.
I found the very rich clients would often call all hours, and be very demanding on very short notice. If they had a party or what ever on, I would get a call in a last minute panic to come and clean things up. Most of them were tighter than a fish's bum too.
My best targets are middle class people with a nice car in the driveway, and long grass. Single women and the elderly are my best payers and best clients.

This is purely an Australian point of view though,.....things may be much different in the U.S.
Your absolutely right. The very rich view workers as slaves to work and to be paid how they please, and work when they please. The lower class simply cant afford to pay. The working upper class/ middle class is your best target always. They have the money to pay you without having their head up their ___. Too bad the middle class is constantly shrinking worldwide.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 07-13-2012, 04:47 AM
sunsetlandscaping sunsetlandscaping is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 75
Rep Power: 3
sunsetlandscaping is on a distinguished road
Default

The problem with my area, is that it is kind of a touristy location, in a small town. So the locals tend to kind of do there own thing, and most of the people I work for are out of towners with second homes here. So when I think about it, knocking on doors would kind of be pointless. I am a start up obviously, but am getting in the phone book this Sept. Has anyone had any luck with this?
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 07-13-2012, 06:45 AM
shadrach's Avatar
shadrach shadrach is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Indiana
Posts: 256
Rep Power: 5
shadrach is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PVMS View Post
My best targets are middle class people with a nice car in the driveway, and long grass. Single women and the elderly are my best payers and best clients.

This is purely an Australian point of view though,.....things may be much different in the U.S.
I think this is pretty much the same here. "Middle class" tend to be easier to deal with as far as expectations & older folks are the most likely to pay on time & without hassle consistently.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New business cards Rodriguez11 Truck & Trailer Sign Design, silk screened apparel & uniform discussion 7 08-25-2011 05:21 AM
Business Cards!!! CHEESE2009 Community Assistance 9 11-22-2009 09:41 PM
I need new business cards!!! CHEESE2009 Community Assistance 2 08-22-2009 06:44 PM
Business Cards Saddlewood Starting a lawn care business. 8 02-20-2009 01:55 AM
Business Cards gotta_mow Lawn Care Marketing & Post your marketing material for review! 7 06-02-2008 12:19 PM

» Recent Threads
  RatingTitle, Username, & Date Last Post Replies Views
Hi Steve From West...
Mr. Mow
Today 01:59 PM
Today 01:59 PM
by Mr. Mow
0 1
Cheapskate Landlord...
Mr. Mow
Yesterday 06:33 AM
Today 01:50 PM
by Mr. Mow
8 176
Dealing With Gas Can...
Mr. Mow
Today 01:41 PM
Today 01:41 PM
by Mr. Mow
0 6
What parts do you carry...
Just for Cuts
10-17-2014 09:08 AM
Today 01:36 PM
by Mr. Mow
16 544
Jungle to Beautiful
stevef1201
10-17-2014 09:54 AM
Today 01:26 PM
by stevef1201
11 374
These are the days on...
ExtremeLawncareServices
03-22-2014 09:12 AM
Today 01:19 PM
by ExtremeLawncareServices
158 11,193
Pressure Washing Like a...
TNTurf
08-01-2014 11:47 PM
Today 01:12 PM
by SGL1
6 617
Sunny Beach Tennis...
SGL1
10-19-2014 11:24 PM
Today 01:04 PM
by SGL1
4 147
Leaf Box & Loader Set...
ringahding1
Today 06:20 AM
Today 12:20 PM
by Steve
1 42
Have you ever had to...
SouthernRootsLawnCare
07-26-2014 02:41 PM
Yesterday 08:34 PM
by biglee
10 1,689
Hello, from TEXAS
sanchez5
10-17-2014 09:56 PM
Yesterday 06:15 PM
by Steve
3 249
Look out Bob Villa -...
Mr Dave
09-30-2014 10:06 AM
Yesterday 05:42 PM
by SGL1
7 1,214
how to fi d commercial...
mchampion319
10-19-2014 09:50 PM
Yesterday 04:41 PM
by Steve
1 122
Hello From Tennessee
mrmann901
10-17-2014 10:02 PM
Yesterday 04:24 PM
by Steve
1 204
questions on order to...
jack2048
10-13-2014 11:15 AM
Yesterday 03:27 PM
by Mr. Mow
15 636
Organic Lawn Care...
NHray
10-17-2014 06:05 PM
Yesterday 02:22 PM
by Steve
1 239
This sucks...
Matther777
09-18-2014 04:56 PM
Yesterday 02:14 PM
by Steve
14 2,081
Cement mixer
KevinsLawns
10-15-2014 08:03 PM
Yesterday 02:11 PM
by Steve
7 377
Hello ! New guy Rob here
RWorthley1
10-17-2014 04:05 PM
Yesterday 02:09 PM
by Steve
1 218
first year update
cmdlawncare
08-12-2014 05:41 PM
Yesterday 02:07 PM
by Steve
3 1,195
Pda
stevef1201
10-18-2014 02:05 PM
10-19-2014 11:27 PM
by SGL1
2 198
Snow Blowing
gwilson98
10-12-2014 02:21 PM
10-17-2014 02:51 PM
by Steve
6 560
Spreading Weeds?
WesleySnips
07-27-2014 09:46 PM
10-17-2014 07:49 AM
by SGL1
6 863
Grasswhoopins.com Anyone...
GRASS WHOOPINS
06-21-2011 11:38 PM
10-16-2014 01:30 PM
by ExtremeLawncareServices
42 9,221
I Want to buy old...
ExtremeLawncareServices
10-10-2014 10:04 PM
10-15-2014 09:12 PM
by ExtremeLawncareServices
6 603
Say Hello !!!
Steve
03-19-2007 11:18 AM
10-15-2014 06:43 PM
by NHray
1,190 339,915
Workmans compensation...
CDLAWNCARE
10-15-2014 08:05 AM
10-15-2014 02:57 PM
by Steve
2 345
Do you find weed eating...
chuck2s
10-15-2014 02:10 PM
10-15-2014 02:10 PM
by chuck2s
0 312
Incorporating &...
WesleySnips
10-01-2014 09:39 PM
10-15-2014 01:37 PM
by kslawn
20 1,404
Falling into business
stellarmowing
09-28-2014 04:35 PM
10-15-2014 05:57 AM
by ringahding1
8 1,427
Apartment Complex and...
lxarth
06-22-2011 01:10 PM
10-14-2014 06:25 PM
by jrs.landscaping
42 9,505
I LOVE hedge trimming
stevef1201
10-13-2014 09:05 AM
10-14-2014 01:06 PM
by Steve
5 447
Help with seeder...
ExtremeLawncareServices
10-09-2014 07:39 AM
10-13-2014 08:09 PM
by ExtremeLawncareServices
5 610
The Market watch
WesleySnips
10-12-2014 08:47 PM
10-13-2014 05:40 PM
by SGL1
3 450
Help pricing a large...
Bradcook21
10-07-2014 06:49 AM
10-13-2014 02:00 PM
by Steve
7 799
leaf removal
Double J LLC
10-03-2014 04:24 PM
10-13-2014 06:46 AM
by Billy Goat
19 1,424
Acerage Rake
acrajchel
04-23-2014 07:23 PM
10-12-2014 10:53 PM
by SGL1
2 763
John Deere z235 Deck
WesleySnips
09-29-2014 06:02 PM
10-12-2014 06:20 PM
by kslawn
25 1,571
Credit card contract
SGL1
10-06-2014 05:31 PM
10-12-2014 03:40 PM
by SGL1
18 987
Truck craft dump bed...
ExtremeLawncareServices
10-04-2014 08:41 PM
10-10-2014 11:35 AM
by Steve
7 888
First Time River Rock...
berryjam
10-09-2014 06:09 PM
10-10-2014 11:08 AM
by Steve
2 541
West cost lawn prices
SGlawncare
10-09-2014 09:51 PM
10-10-2014 11:03 AM
by Steve
1 529
Question?what should I...
dalvan0
09-24-2014 11:10 PM
10-09-2014 05:58 PM
by kslawn
28 2,057
Mowing the hills
EyeCatchersNow
07-08-2014 12:22 PM
10-09-2014 04:19 PM
by Just for Cuts
25 2,923
snowplowing
jshak40
09-01-2014 07:20 AM
10-09-2014 02:21 PM
by Steve
25 3,568
Changing Scag Freedom Z...
maggiedavidson
10-06-2014 12:24 PM
10-08-2014 06:34 PM
by ExtremeLawncareServices
7 774
The most dangerous part...
Steve
10-06-2014 02:45 PM
10-07-2014 04:18 PM
by ExtremeLawncareServices
3 756
Good Mower
jack2048
10-04-2014 05:34 PM
10-07-2014 01:05 PM
by Steve
7 842
Mulching fad killing...
Tree geek
10-06-2014 08:37 PM
10-06-2014 08:37 PM
by Tree geek
0 659
Help a brother...
tbtigers03
09-28-2014 11:41 AM
10-06-2014 02:53 PM
by Steve
11 1,383
» Popular Tags
4x4 apartment complex article marketing auger bark bid billy goat brushcutter blades care charge collections decorating ditches equipment rental exmark ferris foreman four wheel drive fundraiser gopherhaul grass gravely growing a lawn care business how much to charge how to bid husqvarna john deere quik trac kawasaki landscape services lawn lawn care lawn care business lawn care business seo lawn care business show lawn care business website lawn care business website seo lawn care website leaf removal marketing mr dave mulch mulch estimate new buisness new mower podcast promotion pto redmax running a business scag scripts search engine optimization seo shreaded small engine repair snow sprayer starting a business steve stihl theft theft of services top dresser toro toro grand stand trailer trimmer rack turfgrass consulting walker wood
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.1.0

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:46 PM.


(C) 2011 Riggs Publications - Terms of use & Privacy Policy

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:46 PM.

(C) 2011 Riggs Publications - Terms of use & Privacy Policy