Lawn Care Business Forum Lawn Care Business Book Lawn Care Business Blog Lawn Care Software
Home Forum Contract & Flyer Templates Blog Software Videos Podcast Calculators / Estimators Store Mower Review Design It Yourself Lawn Business School

Go Back   GopherHaul Landscaping & Lawn Care Business Marketing Forum > Business > General Business Discussions

General Business Discussions A place to talk about general business discussions.

selling weekly service vs.bi-weekly


General Business Discussions

A place to talk about general business discussions.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #11  
Old 07-09-2012, 10:41 AM
Steve's Avatar
Steve Steve is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 36,307
Rep Power: 10
Steve has disabled reputation
Default

Are there wealthier areas in town that you could go door to door with some flyers to see if you could reach out to them?
__________________
- Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.
Reply With Quote

Stop guess-timating. Learn how to estimate and make money! $$$
Mow Time Estimator Lawn Care Price Estimator Mulch and Topsoil Calculator Snow Plow Estimate Calculator


  #12  
Old 07-10-2012, 05:49 AM
sunsetlandscaping sunsetlandscaping is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 75
Rep Power: 3
sunsetlandscaping is on a distinguished road
Default

Lawn care business tipsLawn Care Business Book
In my area, because of the sandy soil conditions, it is hard to find people that want it mowed every week. Unless they fertilize, which I try to upsell. Most of the people I mow for, have second homes up here, and they don't put much money into the lawn. I am not turning down any work at this point just starting out. It is what it is. If your area is just that way, you may have to upsell on different services or get more accounts.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 07-10-2012, 07:57 AM
Godslapper Godslapper is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: I live in a house
Age: 48
Posts: 99
Rep Power: 3
Godslapper is on a distinguished road
Default

The weekly customer draw backs are. Lets say you are a one man show. and you can mow 10 average lawns a day at one hour or less per lawn. You work 5 days a week that's only 50 customers. You can get some other work to keep you busy with 50 customers but you can only trim stuff and do mulch every so offten. In other words, you might run out of things to do for them. plus if you want to mow the same lawns on the same day every week then every thing has to go perfect all the time. Good luck with that. Plus it's hard to find weekly customers in a small area. Most people think once a week is to offten. If you can find enough to keep you busy, I think you'll find that the drive time each day will be more than you would like. Around here we mow about every 10 days (about) A one man crew can do around 90 customers if he has his act together. That also gives you tha oppertunity for other work. Just my .02 cent.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 07-10-2012, 08:03 AM
Godslapper Godslapper is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: I live in a house
Age: 48
Posts: 99
Rep Power: 3
Godslapper is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsetlandscaping View Post
In my area, because of the sandy soil conditions, it is hard to find people that want it mowed every week. Unless they fertilize, which I try to upsell. Most of the people I mow for, have second homes up here, and they don't put much money into the lawn. I am not turning down any work at this point just starting out. It is what it is. If your area is just that way, you may have to upsell on different services or get more accounts.
Don't forget that if you want to sell fertilizer you need a triangle on your truck and the guys that have them spend a lot of time and money for the privilege to do that work.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 07-10-2012, 02:49 PM
Von Bobbeh's Avatar
Von Bobbeh Von Bobbeh is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 166
Rep Power: 3
Von Bobbeh is on a distinguished road
Default

I use this method: after I get a call for a bid I give the costumer two options
weekly service is $30 a cut with free herbicide weed maintenance OR $40 a cut bi-weekly and $15/bottle for herbicide. Or what ever prices, biweekly always is more.

I also briefly discuss (if they are not already sold) that It is easier for me to keep their property in top-notch shape by having weekly service and they are in-fact, getting far more value for little more money.

I've learn I HATEEEEEEEEE bi-weekly barring July and August when I enjoy a bit more free time anyways.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 07-10-2012, 03:42 PM
sunsetlandscaping sunsetlandscaping is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 75
Rep Power: 3
sunsetlandscaping is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godslapper View Post
Don't forget that if you want to sell fertilizer you need a triangle on your truck and the guys that have them spend a lot of time and money for the privilege to do that work.
I not quite sure I follow when you say triangle. When I sell fertilizer, I sell just regular scotts turf builder with no pesticide or herbicide. This is legal in my state.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 07-10-2012, 04:41 PM
wat5150 wat5150 is offline
new member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 604
Rep Power: 0
wat5150 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godslapper View Post
The weekly customer draw backs are. Lets say you are a one man show. and you can mow 10 average lawns a day at one hour or less per lawn. You work 5 days a week that's only 50 customers. You can get some other work to keep you busy with 50 customers but you can only trim stuff and do mulch every so offten. In other words, you might run out of things to do for them. plus if you want to mow the same lawns on the same day every week then every thing has to go perfect all the time. Good luck with that. Plus it's hard to find weekly customers in a small area. Most people think once a week is to offten. If you can find enough to keep you busy, I think you'll find that the drive time each day will be more than you would like. Around here we mow about every 10 days (about) A one man crew can do around 90 customers if he has his act together. That also gives you tha oppertunity for other work. Just my .02 cent.
Only 50 customers? Thats not bad for a one man show.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 07-10-2012, 04:46 PM
Godslapper Godslapper is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: I live in a house
Age: 48
Posts: 99
Rep Power: 3
Godslapper is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsetlandscaping View Post
I not quite sure I follow when you say triangle. When I sell fertilizer, I sell just regular scotts turf builder with no pesticide or herbicide. This is legal in my state.
You're lucky. In NY if you want to apply anything to a customers lawn you must commplete an 80 hour course and pay a bunch of money. After that you must attend classses a cupple of times a year. The average cost for that is about $500 bucks each time. You then get a certificate that says you were there. Each of these classes are worth between 1 or 2 credits. You must have a least 6 credits in order to renew your applicators licence. This doesn't even begin to touch on all the red tape at the end of the year or the neighbor notification law. Oh yeah if True Green or someone else that went through all the BS to do this sees you doing it and you don't have the Triangle marker on your truck... you could be in a lot of trouble. Of course it's ok to spot treat weeds, but that's it. What state are you in ?
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 07-11-2012, 02:55 AM
sunsetlandscaping sunsetlandscaping is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 75
Rep Power: 3
sunsetlandscaping is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godslapper View Post
You're lucky. In NY if you want to apply anything to a customers lawn you must commplete an 80 hour course and pay a bunch of money. After that you must attend classses a cupple of times a year. The average cost for that is about $500 bucks each time. You then get a certificate that says you were there. Each of these classes are worth between 1 or 2 credits. You must have a least 6 credits in order to renew your applicators licence. This doesn't even begin to touch on all the red tape at the end of the year or the neighbor notification law. Oh yeah if True Green or someone else that went through all the BS to do this sees you doing it and you don't have the Triangle marker on your truck... you could be in a lot of trouble. Of course it's ok to spot treat weeds, but that's it. What state are you in ?
I am in Michigan, we have to get an applicator's license to, but not if only your putting down regular fertilizer. No wonder guy's are not afraid to charge for fertilizing.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 07-11-2012, 06:12 AM
ringahding1's Avatar
ringahding1 ringahding1 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Stillwater, MN
Posts: 286
Rep Power: 5
ringahding1 is on a distinguished road
Default

When I sell...I know I am selling me. But, I have written a post on my website to help weed through customers that want bi-weekly or one time mowing. Do not get me wrong, we will take on these jobs if in our area, but will charge more than a normal weekly mowing.
The one thing I have learned over the years is that I had to realize people are contacting a professional. So this is the way I need to conduct myself when selling my services. Almost teaching the potential client the benefits of a weekly lawn cutting as opposed to a bi-weekly.

Hope that helps.
__________________
08 F250 Ext Cab/04 Chevy 3500
05 F350/04 F350 Diesel/12 Ram 4500 Dump
3 -60 Toro Zmaster/Lesco 48
3 -8'2" Boss V-Plows
1- Hiniker 9'6" V-Plow
20' Enclosed trailer
18' Skid & 16' Open Trailer
2012 - S185 Bobcat


Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
No more bi-weekly accounts! element009 General Talk 51 05-09-2012 09:29 PM
Weekly Rant! Apex Lawn & Landscape General Talk 7 05-04-2012 01:24 AM
bi-weekly? mcgreen1 Online Lawn Care Estimator - Help me bid this job 9 03-23-2012 09:24 PM
Do you charge a different price for weekly,10 day or 14 day service? cmpenn67 Starting a lawn care business. 24 04-27-2010 10:56 PM
Bi-weekly customers MattLuciano General Talk 6 04-14-2009 12:04 AM

» Recent Threads
  RatingTitle, Username, & Date Last Post Replies Views
Brake job!
kslawn
08-30-2014 07:49 AM
Yesterday 06:07 PM
by 04bluesilverado
3 104
Mowing 7 acres
avetslawncare
Yesterday 04:24 PM
Yesterday 05:55 PM
by stevef1201
3 61
Help pricing cut down 7...
Bradcook21
08-26-2014 11:17 PM
Yesterday 04:48 PM
by avetslawncare
6 197
New to the industry-...
Lsmain
Yesterday 10:53 AM
Yesterday 10:53 AM
by Lsmain
0 51
Sod
RosalesLawnCare
08-27-2014 03:47 PM
08-30-2014 07:00 PM
by RosalesLawnCare
2 143
Lawn Route Templates
Landscaper1165
08-30-2014 01:52 PM
08-30-2014 05:04 PM
by stevef1201
1 87
Exmark Lazer Z S-Series...
BLC7
08-22-2014 10:18 AM
08-30-2014 09:49 AM
by BLC7
10 373
Hello! New here and...
CaliforniaFriendly
08-29-2014 11:30 AM
08-29-2014 05:39 PM
by jrs.landscaping
1 108
Stihl engine isn't...
Marcintosh
08-12-2014 08:30 PM
08-28-2014 09:28 PM
by Marcintosh
12 510
Hello
jawnebgoode
08-28-2014 08:37 PM
08-28-2014 08:37 PM
by jawnebgoode
0 54
Hello from Ohio
kurtwin
08-28-2014 05:06 PM
08-28-2014 05:06 PM
by kurtwin
0 74
Softball field
kslawn
08-15-2014 09:28 AM
08-28-2014 12:01 PM
by Steve
16 602
Lawn needs top soil What...
jymie
08-26-2014 11:01 AM
08-28-2014 11:58 AM
by Steve
5 204
Walk Behinds and Texas...
SGL1
08-26-2014 03:53 PM
08-27-2014 10:38 PM
by SGL1
5 193
Say Hello !!!
Steve
03-19-2007 11:18 AM
08-27-2014 08:33 PM
by kurtwin
1,187 331,232
These are the days on...
ExtremeLawncareServices
03-22-2014 09:12 AM
08-26-2014 04:21 PM
by ExtremeLawncareServices
110 6,622
How do I approach...
Bradcook21
08-21-2014 01:48 AM
08-26-2014 05:08 AM
by Billy Goat
12 501
Tender Process
M2Dave
08-24-2014 12:31 PM
08-25-2014 04:14 PM
by Steve
2 181
Grass hopper mower
ExtremeLawncareServices
12-05-2013 08:51 AM
08-25-2014 04:02 PM
by Steve
26 3,839
Need help pricing basic...
Bradcook21
08-22-2014 01:21 AM
08-22-2014 01:05 PM
by Steve
2 275
Yearly contract Pricing
jrob0691
08-21-2014 08:57 AM
08-22-2014 01:01 PM
by Steve
6 348
yearly contract help...
jrob0691
08-21-2014 04:09 PM
08-22-2014 12:48 PM
by Steve
1 222
Pampas bushes
Bradcook21
08-22-2014 01:30 AM
08-22-2014 07:17 AM
by grassdoctore
1 194
2014 Gie-expo
ExtremeLawncareServices
08-19-2014 11:22 PM
08-21-2014 08:50 PM
by phlawncare
2 235
Fuel Can Spouts
Shark1611
08-16-2014 09:09 AM
08-21-2014 08:23 PM
by SGL1
11 476
Have you ever had to...
SouthernRootsLawnCare
07-26-2014 02:41 PM
08-21-2014 05:03 PM
by stevef1201
6 740
Hello
M2Dave
08-21-2014 12:32 AM
08-21-2014 01:38 PM
by Steve
1 200
New Landscaping Business
rekon32
08-16-2014 02:26 PM
08-21-2014 12:33 PM
by SouthallMowing
8 533
Downed Tree Chop Bid
WesleySnips
08-16-2014 03:47 PM
08-20-2014 01:44 PM
by SGL1
10 506
60 inch honda/bunton...
pblawncare
08-17-2014 11:30 AM
08-18-2014 03:19 PM
by Steve
2 252
Replacement Parts -...
nicholas-KC
08-16-2014 08:40 AM
08-18-2014 03:16 PM
by Steve
4 360
Preparing the soil
Billy Goat
08-16-2014 06:18 PM
08-18-2014 03:01 PM
by Steve
1 275
What to pay help
phlawncare
08-04-2014 08:33 PM
08-18-2014 10:33 AM
by jrs.landscaping
29 1,100
Hello
Jeff1
08-07-2014 11:18 PM
08-15-2014 11:53 PM
by Jeff1
11 564
Lie #2 RESIDENTIAL...
ExtremeLawncareServices
01-06-2014 05:02 AM
08-15-2014 01:46 PM
by mattthelawnguy
54 6,676
Need help 30 HP koler...
Shady Grady
08-01-2014 03:31 PM
08-15-2014 08:46 AM
by kslawn
18 740
New Boomless Sprayer!
BlackRain75
01-03-2014 01:01 PM
08-14-2014 02:37 AM
by BlackRain75
12 1,934
first year update
cmdlawncare
08-12-2014 05:41 PM
08-13-2014 03:29 PM
by Steve
1 365
Hello from Jacksonville,...
JM Lawn Care
08-10-2014 07:15 AM
08-13-2014 07:04 AM
by Sprinkler Buddy
9 477
Hello everyone new to...
maddyandrays
08-11-2014 04:51 PM
08-12-2014 08:58 PM
by Shark1611
2 315
Walk behinds
hpruitcei
08-07-2014 06:28 PM
08-12-2014 02:35 PM
by mattthelawnguy
7 582
New name help
stevef1201
08-10-2014 04:27 PM
08-12-2014 12:03 PM
by Steve
6 470
my little green dilemmas
Lawn Techie
08-03-2014 11:47 AM
08-11-2014 01:20 PM
by Steve
7 567
what the best...
CleanCutsLLC
08-02-2014 01:02 AM
08-11-2014 01:16 PM
by Steve
6 619
Texas lawn care company...
Livingston Lawn Care
07-25-2014 11:29 AM
08-11-2014 01:19 AM
by ExtremeLawncareServices
13 876
Covering all the bases
janslawncare
08-08-2014 10:11 AM
08-08-2014 01:41 PM
by Steve
1 411
New from Florida
ADE
08-06-2014 08:40 PM
08-08-2014 01:32 PM
by Steve
4 478
JOB - Landscape Install...
janslawncare
08-08-2014 10:06 AM
08-08-2014 10:06 AM
by janslawncare
0 370
Battery power tools or...
Steve
08-07-2014 12:24 PM
08-07-2014 05:18 PM
by mattthelawnguy
2 377
My client just told me...
Greg'slawnandlandscape
08-04-2014 08:39 AM
08-06-2014 11:14 PM
by grassdoctore
12 719
» Popular Tags
2wd 4x4 34'' advertisement apartment lawn care estimate article marketing bid butterfly gardens care charge commercial courtesy call credit card customers decorating employee problems exmark ferris foreman four wheel drive gopherhaul grass gravely health holiday lighting how much to charge husqvarna hydraulic installation kansas city landscape services lawn lawn care lawn care business book lawn care business seo lawn care business show lawn care business website lawn care business website seo lawn care website leaf lighting brass outdoor lights marketing mechanic monthly mow mulch mulch price new buisness new business payment podcast property management company scag scag v-ride schedule seo small engine repair starting a business steep lawns stihl sulky toro tractor auger trailer mate pro tree care truck new used landscape walk behind walker won't return wright stander rh
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.1.0

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:04 AM.


(C) 2011 Riggs Publications - Terms of use & Privacy Policy

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:04 AM.

(C) 2011 Riggs Publications - Terms of use & Privacy Policy