Lawn Care Business Forum Lawn Care Business Book Lawn Care Business Blog Lawn Care Software
Home Forum Contract & Flyer Templates Blog Software Videos Podcast Calculators / Estimators Store Mower Review Design It Yourself Lawn Business School

Go Back   GopherHaul Landscaping & Lawn Care Business Marketing Forum > Lawn Care, Landscaping, and Property Management Forums > Outdoor Power Equipment Discussion, Repairs, Buy or Sell

Outdoor Power Equipment Discussion, Repairs, Buy or Sell Outdoor power equipment discussions. Questions on commercial lawn mowers, lawn mower, mower parts, lawn tractors, engines, edgers, trimmers, pole saws, aerators, hydro seeders, snow plows, chain saws, stump grinders, trucks and trailers?

Equip Prep Checklist


Outdoor Power Equipment Discussion, Repairs, Buy or Sell

Outdoor power equipment discussions. Questions on commercial lawn mowers, lawn mower, mower parts, lawn tractors, engines, edgers, trimmers, pole saws, aerators, hydro seeders, snow plows, chain saws, stump grinders, trucks and trailers?
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 07-02-2012, 09:51 AM
morecaffeine morecaffeine is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2
Rep Power: 2
morecaffeine is on a distinguished road
Post Equip Prep Checklist

We're thinking of putting together an end of day checklist for our peeps to run down before they leave for the day to ensure that all the equipment, etc. is cared for, fueled, and so on - you get the picture. Hoping this ensures our rollout the next day is as fluid as possible. Thinking something that includes:
  • Refuel mowers
  • Refuel hand tools
  • Check fuel containers. How many need filling?
  • Blow mowers and hand tools clean
  • Inventory hand tools. Are all accounted for?
  • Are trimmer lines stocked and loaded?
  • Are there any items that need maintenance? If so, report to crew leader.

Any suggestions past this? Other thoughts? Have you done this in the past and, if so, did it work?

We're not looking to hinder our crews but trying to make ensure we're as proactive about the next day's start as possible and ensuring we're taking care of our equip.
Reply With Quote

Stop guess-timating. Learn how to estimate and make money! $$$
Mow Time Estimator Lawn Care Price Estimator Mulch and Topsoil Calculator Snow Plow Estimate Calculator


  #2  
Old 07-02-2012, 12:08 PM
Steve's Avatar
Steve Steve is online now
Administrator
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 35,779
Rep Power: 10
Steve has disabled reputation
Default

Lawn care business tipsLawn Care Business Book
I think the checklist is a great idea. Anything you can do that creates structure for your business along with easy to follow instructions, will improve efficiency.

I'd say, go through the process yourself first. Write down each step you take and create a check list from it.

Once you make it, you can attach it in a post and see how others may alter it. That could help you optimize your checklist.
__________________
- Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-02-2012, 05:35 PM
krzys666 krzys666 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 49
Rep Power: 3
krzys666 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by morecaffeine View Post
We're thinking of putting together an end of day checklist for our peeps to run down before they leave for the day to ensure that all the equipment, etc. is cared for, fueled, and so on - you get the picture. Hoping this ensures our rollout the next day is as fluid as possible. Thinking something that includes:
  • Refuel mowers
  • Refuel hand tools
  • Check fuel containers. How many need filling?
  • Blow mowers and hand tools clean
  • Inventory hand tools. Are all accounted for?
  • Are trimmer lines stocked and loaded?
  • Are there any items that need maintenance? If so, report to crew leader.

Any suggestions past this? Other thoughts? Have you done this in the past and, if so, did it work?

We're not looking to hinder our crews but trying to make ensure we're as proactive about the next day's start as possible and ensuring we're taking care of our equip.
we do it a little different, but we probably have a larger set up.
1)we refuel everything. we have a 500 gallon tank under the garage, in ground.
we go to new jersey once a week, and use about 300-400 gallons a week. jersey gas is 50-60 cents a gallon cheaper.

2) we change all our blades daily, sharpened once a week, we have 7 sets per machine.

3)all machines are power washed from big mowers, trimmers, blowers ect. we keep everything very clean, so there is no build up on any of the machines of dirt, oil, grass, or grease, especially around the carbs, exaust, and around the primer bulb.

4) trimmer lines are checked.

5) grease for hedge trimmers is checked if they are used.

6) oil is checked on everything

7) record hours on all machines.

8) refuel the trucks, refueling containers on the trucks

9) powerwash the tucks and trailers

10) all hand tools are washed.

we have 3 part time mechanics work on our machines, they change oil, engines when needed, sharpen blades, check belts, grease all grease fittings, fit any machines that need fixing, check all machines that run as suppose to, check any bolts that may get lose, asses any machines we get donated from clients or pick up. they do not work every day, typically 3 days a week in the evenings or Sunday. they get paid 12 an hour, plus a 12 pack of buds a week
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-02-2012, 07:39 PM
krzys666 krzys666 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 49
Rep Power: 3
krzys666 is on a distinguished road
Default

i have spent a great deal of money on marketing
we do a lot of marketing and the business flows

my main problem has been hiring. i just cant find good employes. for the neighborhoods i serve the employes must look good, presentable and speak english well, not perfect but good
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-02-2012, 08:47 PM
dpld dpld is offline
new member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: nj
Posts: 885
Rep Power: 0
dpld is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by krzys666 View Post
i have spent a great deal of money on marketing
we do a lot of marketing and the business flows

my main problem has been hiring. i just cant find good employes. for the neighborhoods i serve the employes must look good, presentable and speak english well, not perfect but good
join the club, i service corporate headquarter commercial properties and half the guys you hire today have tattoo's up and down their throats with big hoopa joops in their ears.
they all like like a ex con or a circus side show freak.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-03-2012, 08:52 AM
CHEESE2009's Avatar
CHEESE2009 CHEESE2009 is offline
Dr. Scott - Ruler of the Underworld
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Switzerland, Grindelwald
Age: 73
Posts: 4,475
Rep Power: 10
CHEESE2009 is on a distinguished road
Default

You should hire your competitors staff. You might find that special somebody to take some initiative to help control your company.

It's better than getting 1000 phone calls / emails from Punjabi's who just want your money.

-

As for a checklist, it wouldn't hurt.

My work rules are;
1. No grass left in the trailer, or on equipment.
2. Garbage must be cleared from the truck.
3. No sexual harassment lawsuits.
4. Do a good job, or die.
5. Hold the camera steady when filming me cut a lawn, or die.
6. Don't bring women troubles to work, I am your lover 9-5.
7. Laugh at my jokes.
8. Have a sense of humor, turn your anger into joy - or goodbye!
etc


#8 is really important. If you are able to find someone who finds humor in the trouble they get into, you've got a winner.

For example, if it's a beautiful sunny day, but by the time we load up and arrive to a client further away and it decides to rain only on their street, we laugh it off. Then laugh at ourselves for having such bad luck.

Last edited by CHEESE2009; 07-03-2012 at 08:57 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-18-2012, 10:28 AM
morecaffeine morecaffeine is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2
Rep Power: 2
morecaffeine is on a distinguished road
Default

I actually like this suggestion a good bit. We're set for pretty rapid expansion so having this in place before hand is one less thing to change later on after bad habits are established. Much apprec!

Quote:
Originally Posted by krzys666 View Post
we do it a little different, but we probably have a larger set up.
1)we refuel everything. we have a 500 gallon tank under the garage, in ground.
we go to new jersey once a week, and use about 300-400 gallons a week. jersey gas is 50-60 cents a gallon cheaper.

2) we change all our blades daily, sharpened once a week, we have 7 sets per machine.

3)all machines are power washed from big mowers, trimmers, blowers ect. we keep everything very clean, so there is no build up on any of the machines of dirt, oil, grass, or grease, especially around the carbs, exaust, and around the primer bulb.

4) trimmer lines are checked.

5) grease for hedge trimmers is checked if they are used.

6) oil is checked on everything

7) record hours on all machines.

8) refuel the trucks, refueling containers on the trucks

9) powerwash the tucks and trailers

10) all hand tools are washed.

we have 3 part time mechanics work on our machines, they change oil, engines when needed, sharpen blades, check belts, grease all grease fittings, fit any machines that need fixing, check all machines that run as suppose to, check any bolts that may get lose, asses any machines we get donated from clients or pick up. they do not work every day, typically 3 days a week in the evenings or Sunday. they get paid 12 an hour, plus a 12 pack of buds a week
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
checklists, equipment care, equipment repair

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Some of my Equip. LawnMoore Show Off - Picture Post - Photo Gallery 3 10-08-2010 12:48 PM
The good old 12-point marketing checklist Steve Lawn Care Marketing & Post your marketing material for review! 0 10-25-2006 07:37 PM

» Recent Threads
  RatingTitle, Username, & Date Last Post Replies Views
New Trailer
bobwill2009
Yesterday 12:46 PM
Today 01:34 PM
by B&B Lawn Services
4 90
Pushy customers
christopherhicks82
04-22-2014 08:22 PM
Today 01:04 PM
by Dan Tanner
8 177
Back for this year
xandrew245x
02-21-2014 04:30 PM
Today 12:46 PM
by xandrew245x
20 1,031
Truck, Trailer,...
hawthornelawncare
12-23-2011 12:01 AM
Today 12:39 PM
by Steve
80 25,369
Pond...
xandrew245x
04-22-2014 03:29 PM
Today 12:23 PM
by Steve
5 117
Mangwi Landscaping
bondservojc13
Yesterday 09:56 PM
Today 12:22 PM
by Steve
2 68
Acerage Rake
acrajchel
Yesterday 07:23 PM
Today 12:17 PM
by Steve
1 44
2.5 acre mowing
xandrew245x
04-18-2014 06:55 AM
Today 12:05 PM
by Steve
16 364
Advertising On...
JacobsLawnMowing
03-17-2014 03:21 PM
Today 11:58 AM
by Steve
14 899
In a bit situation need...
googus
04-22-2014 08:01 AM
Yesterday 10:03 PM
by googus
9 179
Any greenhouse operators...
GoGreenerKS
04-15-2014 11:21 AM
Yesterday 12:37 PM
by Steve
7 221
The $20 Mow Job
Dan Tanner
04-21-2014 07:24 PM
Yesterday 12:06 PM
by Steve
5 200
quickbooks users
CDLAWNCARE
04-20-2014 09:03 AM
Yesterday 06:48 AM
by CDLAWNCARE
4 180
Looking for advice on a...
Tekeda1
04-13-2014 09:53 AM
04-22-2014 07:55 PM
by Just for Cuts
23 586
About D@## Time!
TamMik
04-02-2014 08:10 AM
04-22-2014 05:14 PM
by BelleCityLawn1
19 880
What Was Your Setup When...
superrman77
02-11-2014 10:53 AM
04-22-2014 12:29 AM
by Tony317
22 1,728
Sulky and Turf Tracer
acrajchel
04-07-2014 01:44 PM
04-22-2014 12:07 AM
by Tony317
9 451
danny 2
danny2
04-19-2014 10:19 PM
04-21-2014 12:25 PM
by Steve
3 140
this mower is driving me...
boog
04-17-2014 12:07 PM
04-21-2014 12:10 PM
by kslawn
13 367
What Fertilizer to Use?
acrajchel
04-07-2014 01:56 PM
04-21-2014 12:02 PM
by kslawn
20 614
I Got Taken...,
Dan Tanner
04-19-2014 06:26 AM
04-21-2014 11:49 AM
by Steve
4 233
new to this forum!
mower13126
04-18-2014 07:37 PM
04-21-2014 11:39 AM
by Steve
4 152
REO calling
Dan Tanner
04-16-2014 05:03 PM
04-21-2014 11:33 AM
by Steve
12 351
employee pay
4 seasons maintenance
04-10-2011 09:34 PM
04-20-2014 04:40 PM
by Dan Tanner
20 6,893
These are the days on...
ExtremeLawncareServices
03-22-2014 09:12 AM
04-20-2014 11:13 AM
by ExtremeLawncareServices
32 1,218
Lawn Renovation
stevef1201
04-11-2014 12:00 PM
04-20-2014 11:11 AM
by kslawn
10 372
Customers droping like...
goodtimez
04-18-2014 09:53 AM
04-19-2014 08:09 AM
by CDLAWNCARE
7 237
Best Bulk Mulch delivery...
Steven Virgadamo
04-18-2014 09:52 AM
04-18-2014 05:34 PM
by Steve
2 106
Steve Virgadamo,...
Steven Virgadamo
04-18-2014 09:49 AM
04-18-2014 05:08 PM
by Steve
2 91
Instagram
Gerardo_Landscape
04-16-2014 11:28 AM
04-18-2014 04:51 PM
by Steve
3 191
Help with weed liability!
Prolawnofchatt
04-15-2014 09:10 AM
04-18-2014 04:47 PM
by Steve
5 255
Nationwide lawn care...
Billy Goat
04-15-2014 05:21 PM
04-18-2014 04:39 PM
by Steve
9 268
Truck Signage
Dan Tanner
04-16-2014 11:00 PM
04-18-2014 04:04 PM
by stevef1201
10 293
leaf removal
tlf59263
04-15-2014 10:00 PM
04-18-2014 03:59 PM
by stevef1201
6 244
Pay per click advertising
roostertail
02-12-2014 07:26 PM
04-17-2014 07:11 PM
by yardrate
10 641
Accepting credit cards,...
Darksteel
03-17-2014 08:01 PM
04-16-2014 01:02 PM
by jymie
15 810
Trimec
acrajchel
04-15-2014 08:24 PM
04-16-2014 11:10 AM
by Steve
3 151
Gopher Forum Discount!
BlackRain75
04-12-2014 10:44 PM
04-16-2014 10:50 AM
by Steve
9 349
hello
NFrailey
04-15-2014 01:39 PM
04-16-2014 10:48 AM
by Steve
1 137
Pricing a Mulch Job
dmcalpi
04-07-2014 02:16 PM
04-16-2014 09:40 AM
by jymie
21 797
google earth
CDLAWNCARE
04-12-2014 03:24 PM
04-16-2014 09:36 AM
by jymie
8 299
There has to be an...
CDLAWNCARE
04-14-2014 12:59 PM
04-15-2014 04:06 PM
by Dan Tanner
6 239
First Day Back!
BelleCityLawn1
04-09-2014 09:13 PM
04-15-2014 11:16 AM
by Steve
11 372
Mow America
stevegredler
04-13-2014 01:02 PM
04-14-2014 09:53 PM
by kslawn
5 280
Power Broom
acrajchel
04-14-2014 07:46 AM
04-14-2014 12:47 PM
by CDLAWNCARE
2 156
Say Hello !!!
Steve
03-19-2007 11:18 AM
04-14-2014 11:34 AM
by Steve
1,176 286,984
Equipment reviews
Greg'slawnandlandscape
04-09-2014 07:17 AM
04-14-2014 11:27 AM
by Greg'slawnandlandscape
13 536
Aerating Prices?
Dan Tanner
04-08-2014 03:16 PM
04-14-2014 10:31 AM
by Steve
13 547
Estimating help
acrajchel
04-11-2014 06:06 PM
04-14-2014 10:20 AM
by Steve
3 247
Need help bidding church...
GreenRidge Lawn&Landscape
04-07-2014 08:01 PM
04-14-2014 09:49 AM
by Steve
12 503
» Popular Tags
4x4 ads article marketing blower butterfly gardens care charge christmas light hanging christmas lighting color jet courtesy call craigslist credit card cultivation customers decorating echo exmark ferris florida four wheel drive fundraiser gopherhaul grass gravely health holiday holiday lighting how much to charge kansas city labor cost lawn lawn care lawn care business lawn care business book lawn care business show lawn clarksville leaf marketing mechanic monthly mow mowing mulch mulch price new buisness new business new start office management oil payment podcast property management company requests riding mower scag schedule selling seo snow starting a business steve stihl tree care turfgrass consulting upsell walk behind walker winter money making ideas yard clarksville
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.1.0

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:45 PM.


(C) 2011 Riggs Publications - Terms of use & Privacy Policy

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:45 PM.

(C) 2011 Riggs Publications - Terms of use & Privacy Policy