Lawn Care Business Forum Lawn Care Business Book Lawn Care Business Blog Lawn Care Software
Home Forum Contract & Flyer Templates Blog Software Videos Podcast Calculators / Estimators Store Mower Review Design It Yourself Lawn Business School

Go Back   GopherHaul Landscaping & Lawn Care Business Marketing Forum > Lawn Care, Landscaping, and Property Management Forums > General Talk

General Talk If it doesn't fit anywhere else, post it here.

Smoking


General Talk

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, post it here.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #21  
Old 05-16-2012, 05:42 AM
ringahding1's Avatar
ringahding1 ringahding1 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Stillwater, MN
Posts: 280
Rep Power: 5
ringahding1 is on a distinguished road
Default

No smoking while working on YOUR properties......PERIOD...I am a heavy smoker and I wait until the job is complete...

Make it a RULE..it is your company after all
__________________
08 F250 Ext Cab/05 F350/04 Chevy 3500
3 - 60 Toro Zmaster/Lesco 48
2 - 8'2" Boss V-Plows
20' Enclosed trailer/16' Open trailer
18' Skid Loader Trailer
S185 Bobcat 2-Speed



ringlawncare.com
Reply With Quote

Stop guess-timating. Learn how to estimate and make money! $$$
Mow Time Estimator Lawn Care Price Estimator Mulch and Topsoil Calculator Snow Plow Estimate Calculator


  #22  
Old 05-16-2012, 12:26 PM
veteranslawncaresystems veteranslawncaresystems is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: granite city illinois
Posts: 55
Rep Power: 3
veteranslawncaresystems is on a distinguished road
Default

Lawn care business tipsLawn Care Business Book
i dont allow smoking while working, but what is your customer smoked would that change your opion in smoking while working or talking with the customer
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 05-16-2012, 03:06 PM
PineHillLawn PineHillLawn is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Nixa, MO
Posts: 117
Rep Power: 3
PineHillLawn is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by veteranslawncaresystems View Post
i dont allow smoking while working, but what is your customer smoked would that change your opion in smoking while working or talking with the customer

Not in my opinion it wouldn't. I don't mind a customer smoking in front as we talk but what would bother me is, if a neighbor saw us talking and me or my guys were smoking too, that might be a red flag to a not want me to mow there yard. Business is business! First impressions are a big deal to alot of people. Your always being watched, no matter if you think you are or not while out on a property. I know something like smoking isn't a big deal to some but, to others it can be a huge deal, you have to make sure you are always coming off as professional and I think smoking on someones property looks bad for business.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 05-16-2012, 06:24 PM
CHEESE2009's Avatar
CHEESE2009 CHEESE2009 is offline
Dr. Scott - Ruler of the Underworld
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Switzerland, Grindelwald
Age: 73
Posts: 4,475
Rep Power: 10
CHEESE2009 is on a distinguished road
Default

Well if Santa can do it...

Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 05-16-2012, 09:41 PM
Cashin H&P Cashin H&P is offline
new member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Bedford NH
Posts: 409
Rep Power: 0
Cashin H&P is on a distinguished road
Default

I dip, I have one employee who smokes and I do not allow him to smoke at a job site. I also do not allow smoking in the truck as I do not want my truck to smell worse then it does after a long day of mowing anyway haha. on a serious note though When im dipping i can present my self as if im doing nothing out of the ordinary which helps, I still try not to chew while on a job site thouhg mostly cuz ill end up spitting on my self at some piont and thats nasty
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 05-16-2012, 10:19 PM
JeffK26
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

You always have to think about who is watching.

You have one customer that smokes, so it's ok to smoke around him/her. 3 neighbors see you smoking on that neighbors lot. That deters them from hiring you.
sure, you do a great job, sure every line is straight, sure ever edge is straight, sure everything looks like a MLB park...everything is always perfect............except, smoking............... "hey i have a customer that doesn't care if I smoke all day at his property. You just lost 1-3 customers that do not want that no matter how the end result is.

Some don't mind, some do....., but there are people that will not hire you if you smoke, no matter what type of work you do............but no one will NOT hire you because you do NOT smoke.

It may suck, it may not...but the bottom line is always this...........the customer is paying you money to perform a service they can do themselves or hire someone else to do. Why hurt your chances over a freakin stupid thing like a freakin cigarette?

The customer is not always right, but they are right if they don't want a smoker on their property. It is their property after all.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 05-16-2012, 10:22 PM
PineHillLawn PineHillLawn is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Nixa, MO
Posts: 117
Rep Power: 3
PineHillLawn is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffK26 View Post
You always have to think about who is watching.

You have one customer that smokes, so it's ok to smoke around him/her. 3 neighbors see you smoking on that neighbors lot. That deters them from hiring you.
sure, you do a great job, sure every line is straight, sure ever edge is straight, sure everything looks like a MLB park...everything is always perfect............except, smoking............... "hey i have a customer that doesn't care if I smoke all day at his property. You just lost 1-3 customers that do not want that no matter how the end result is.

Some don't mind, some do....., but there are people that will not hire you if you smoke, no matter what type of work you do............but no one will NOT hire you because you do NOT smoke.

It may suck, it may not...but the bottom line is always this...........the customer is paying you money to perform a service they can do themselves or hire someone else to do. Why hurt your chances over a freakin stupid thing like a freakin cigarette?

The customer is not always right, but they are right if they don't want a smoker on their property. It is their property after all.
Couldn't have said it better. My thoughts exactly!!!!
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 05-24-2012, 11:18 AM
Grass Doctor Grass Doctor is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: san antonio tx
Posts: 407
Rep Power: 2
Grass Doctor is on a distinguished road
Default i only smoke not drink

how about this i smoke menthol's love the smoke coming out of my mouth i smoke in my truck in the job where ever i feel like lighting up one. if a customer approach me which is very common i just say excuse me ligth off the cigarette and putted on my pocket, this dont bother me at all i understand personal relationship it part of my business, so back to this smoking subject i have had lets say 3 to 4 of my customer inviting inside there homes to get an appraisal they want to sit down and their comfort zone so to the customer want he wants i dont go to McDonald and let them serve me whatever they want i am detailed when it comes to me spending my money so i ask for what i want. i do what i want that please me with it. so they star talking about the job and light up a cigarette ask me if it was okey for them to smoke what should said its your house u can do what ever u want with it right they ask me if i smoke i said yes they offer me one i said no thanks i said i smoke menthol they said u can smoke if u want to sure, again customer service its my first priority, for me customers don't really care if u smoke or not they will probably care more on the way u are dress, i wear polo shirts (under armor) short's, boots or golf tennis shoes i dont have any type of piercing i had ear piercing but i took them off after i got my very first call for business never put them back. more than smoking i will say what affects you its ur personallythe way you talk i have customers that even buy pizzas for me and my crew every day serving us cafe and donuts in the morning before we star working, when i do 3 or more days landscape jobs there is no way i am going to stay whit out smoking for 3 days have that make me look bad not at all they have call me back and refer me to their friends all they care about quality. i HAVE SMOKE INSIDE CUSTOMERS HOUSES they have never ask me for a discount and yes i got the jobs and make good money. oh by the way this customers live in gated community's in houses of 350.000 to 500.000 not low life people. i should stop smoking its bad for my health .
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 05-24-2012, 11:42 AM
PineHillLawn PineHillLawn is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Nixa, MO
Posts: 117
Rep Power: 3
PineHillLawn is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grass Doctor View Post
how about this i smoke menthol's love the smoke coming out of my mouth i smoke in my truck in the job where ever i feel like lighting up one. if a customer approach me which is very common i just say excuse me ligth off the cigarette and putted on my pocket, this dont bother me at all i understand personal relationship it part of my business, so back to this smoking subject i have had lets say 3 to 4 of my customer inviting inside there homes to get an appraisal they want to sit down and their comfort zone so to the customer want he wants i dont go to McDonald and let them serve me whatever they want i am detailed when it comes to me spending my money so i ask for what i want. i do what i want that please me with it. so they star talking about the job and light up a cigarette ask me if it was okey for them to smoke what should said its your house u can do what ever u want with it right they ask me if i smoke i said yes they offer me one i said no thanks i said i smoke menthol they said u can smoke if u want to sure, again customer service its my first priority, for me customers don't really care if u smoke or not they will probably care more on the way u are dress, i wear polo shirts (under armor) short's, boots or golf tennis shoes i dont have any type of piercing i had ear piercing but i took them off after i got my very first call for business never put them back. more than smoking i will say what affects you its ur personallythe way you talk i have customers that even buy pizzas for me and my crew every day serving us cafe and donuts in the morning before we star working, when i do 3 or more days landscape jobs there is no way i am going to stay whit out smoking for 3 days have that make me look bad not at all they have call me back and refer me to their friends all they care about quality. i HAVE SMOKE INSIDE CUSTOMERS HOUSES they have never ask me for a discount and yes i got the jobs and make good money. oh by the way this customers live in gated community's in houses of 350.000 to 500.000 not low life people. i should stop smoking its bad for my health .
Ok, once I finally got the jist of what your saying in this post (not easy to do by the way) I understood what your saying (kind of). In my book, you never smoke on or around a customer or their property. If you need a smoke go to the truck and have one. Smoking is something people are tolerating less and less these days. I don't have a problem with anyone smoking, that's your choice. I used to smoke and did so for over ten years. But the majority of people nowadays don't want to smell it. I know one of my customers, that if she saw me smoking on her property I'd get fired on the spot. Thats how I landed her in the first place. Her old lawn care service guy smoked while he mowed her yard and it pissed her off, so she hired me. You have to use common sense when it comes to others property. If they dont mind smoking, fine smoke, but you need to know that before you just do it "where ever i feel like lighting up one".
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 05-24-2012, 12:41 PM
Grass Doctor Grass Doctor is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: san antonio tx
Posts: 407
Rep Power: 2
Grass Doctor is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PineHillLawn View Post
Ok, once I finally got the jist of what your saying in this post (not easy to do by the way) I understood what your saying (kind of). In my book, you never smoke on or around a customer or their property. If you need a smoke go to the truck and have one. Smoking is something people are tolerating less and less these days. I don't have a problem with anyone smoking, that's your choice. I used to smoke and did so for over ten years. But the majority of people nowadays don't want to smell it. I know one of my customers, that if she saw me smoking on her property I'd get fired on the spot. Thats how I landed her in the first place. Her old lawn care service guy smoked while he mowed her yard and it pissed her off, so she hired me. You have to use common sense when it comes to others property. If they dont mind smoking, fine smoke, but you need to know that before you just do it "where ever i feel like lighting up one".
sure i get the point and im sorry for my tarzan English thanks for talking ur time, but dont u think there is more important thinks than this smoking think like the way u dress or talk with ur crew or act in their homes in my case most of my customers they even tell me that if i need their restrooms all i need to do is ask or open the door i never done this, thats too far bothering for me. but i believe that its trust from their part and their please whit our work. i will not let use my restrooms to any body that i dont know i have even being invite it to their special occasions Christmas, thanks giving etc. and yes i smoke in their properties and they know i do i truly believe they care more about the quality than if u smoke or not but ill change my contracts and put in a section if they will want to make their home a non smoking area while we service their lawn or landscape their house for customers like your its a free country after all brother.

some like some of our crew members are smoker so please let us know if u will be obsessed if we smoke in your property and like to little boxes one for yes and one for no so this smoking issue its solve .
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
smoking

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Quit smoking fail? CHEESE2009 General Talk 2 09-26-2011 05:14 PM
Smoking bans Steve General Talk 0 01-12-2007 05:47 PM
Thank You for Smoking Steve GopherHaul Lawn Care Business Show, Video, Book & Podcast Discussions. 3 04-22-2006 12:21 AM

» Recent Threads
  RatingTitle, Username, & Date Last Post Replies Views
Truck Signage
Dan Tanner
Yesterday 11:00 PM
Yesterday 11:00 PM
by Dan Tanner
0 15
REO calling
Dan Tanner
Yesterday 05:03 PM
Yesterday 10:46 PM
by Dan Tanner
3 72
What Fertilizer to Use?
acrajchel
04-07-2014 01:56 PM
Yesterday 10:13 PM
by grassdoctore
8 233
These are the days on...
ExtremeLawncareServices
03-22-2014 09:12 AM
Yesterday 08:26 PM
by ExtremeLawncareServices
30 942
Nationwide lawn care...
Billy Goat
04-15-2014 05:21 PM
Yesterday 07:35 PM
by stevef1201
8 147
Accepting credit cards,...
Darksteel
03-17-2014 08:01 PM
Yesterday 01:02 PM
by jymie
15 662
Instagram
Gerardo_Landscape
Yesterday 11:28 AM
Yesterday 11:28 AM
by Gerardo_Landscape
0 27
Help with weed liability!
Prolawnofchatt
04-15-2014 09:10 AM
Yesterday 11:20 AM
by kslawn
3 122
Trimec
acrajchel
04-15-2014 08:24 PM
Yesterday 11:10 AM
by Steve
3 70
leaf removal
tlf59263
04-15-2014 10:00 PM
Yesterday 11:05 AM
by Steve
2 93
Gopher Forum Discount!
BlackRain75
04-12-2014 10:44 PM
Yesterday 10:50 AM
by Steve
9 221
hello
NFrailey
04-15-2014 01:39 PM
Yesterday 10:48 AM
by Steve
1 67
Any greenhouse operators...
GoGreenerKS
04-15-2014 11:21 AM
Yesterday 10:43 AM
by Steve
3 87
Pricing a Mulch Job
dmcalpi
04-07-2014 02:16 PM
Yesterday 09:40 AM
by jymie
21 540
google earth
CDLAWNCARE
04-12-2014 03:24 PM
Yesterday 09:36 AM
by jymie
8 185
Looking for advice on a...
Tekeda1
04-13-2014 09:53 AM
Yesterday 08:54 AM
by Tekeda1
12 242
There has to be an...
CDLAWNCARE
04-14-2014 12:59 PM
04-15-2014 04:06 PM
by Dan Tanner
6 144
First Day Back!
BelleCityLawn1
04-09-2014 09:13 PM
04-15-2014 11:16 AM
by Steve
11 280
Mow America
stevegredler
04-13-2014 01:02 PM
04-14-2014 09:53 PM
by kslawn
5 157
Power Broom
acrajchel
04-14-2014 07:46 AM
04-14-2014 12:47 PM
by CDLAWNCARE
2 84
Say Hello !!!
Steve
03-19-2007 11:18 AM
04-14-2014 11:34 AM
by Steve
1,176 284,182
Equipment reviews
Greg'slawnandlandscape
04-09-2014 07:17 AM
04-14-2014 11:27 AM
by Greg'slawnandlandscape
13 372
Sulky and Turf Tracer
acrajchel
04-07-2014 01:44 PM
04-14-2014 10:51 AM
by Steve
8 270
Aerating Prices?
Dan Tanner
04-08-2014 03:16 PM
04-14-2014 10:31 AM
by Steve
13 375
Estimating help
acrajchel
04-11-2014 06:06 PM
04-14-2014 10:20 AM
by Steve
3 138
Lawn Renovation
stevef1201
04-11-2014 12:00 PM
04-14-2014 10:03 AM
by Steve
5 153
Need help bidding church...
GreenRidge Lawn&Landscape
04-07-2014 08:01 PM
04-14-2014 09:49 AM
by Steve
12 362
Hello all
Griff20114
04-12-2014 05:08 PM
04-14-2014 09:46 AM
by Steve
1 83
Step by Step Spring Lawn...
WarriorLawnscaping
04-10-2014 07:01 AM
04-14-2014 09:43 AM
by Steve
5 200
Jeff Cowden
jcowden
04-11-2014 07:27 PM
04-14-2014 09:39 AM
by Steve
1 89
Exmark Commercial 30...
Dan Tanner
04-11-2014 05:35 AM
04-14-2014 09:37 AM
by Steve
4 160
What Was Your Setup When...
superrman77
02-11-2014 10:53 AM
04-14-2014 08:04 AM
by acrajchel
21 1,526
Small guy time to get a...
googus
04-08-2014 08:16 AM
04-13-2014 07:18 PM
by A. Kulak Landscaping
9 286
Weekly vs. Bi-weekly
CDLAWNCARE
04-12-2014 01:48 PM
04-13-2014 06:03 PM
by kslawn
9 294
Weed ID help
TwinBrosLC
04-12-2014 10:39 AM
04-13-2014 07:40 AM
by stevef1201
4 125
Lexington, KY
acrajchel
04-07-2014 01:06 PM
04-11-2014 09:49 PM
by acrajchel
1 112
Food Plot Management
BlackRain75
04-11-2014 10:20 AM
04-11-2014 03:51 PM
by Steve
4 110
Estimating a job
acrajchel
04-08-2014 11:07 AM
04-11-2014 03:32 PM
by Steve
6 256
New Boomless Sprayer!
BlackRain75
01-03-2014 01:01 PM
04-11-2014 03:25 PM
by Steve
11 980
Hello....
SWFloridaLawns
04-10-2014 06:15 PM
04-11-2014 02:28 PM
by Steve
2 110
Truck, Trailer,...
hawthornelawncare
12-23-2011 12:01 AM
04-10-2014 10:33 PM
by ExtremeLawncareServices
78 24,953
Trading Accounts
goodtimez
04-09-2014 05:42 PM
04-10-2014 01:55 PM
by Steve
2 138
Grass that has...
erock289
04-09-2014 10:21 AM
04-10-2014 01:52 PM
by Steve
3 155
Prowrap Trimmer Engine...
Steve
05-24-2006 07:05 PM
04-10-2014 01:09 PM
by Steve
10 2,186
1st annual Easter egg...
Greg'slawnandlandscape
04-09-2014 06:58 AM
04-10-2014 01:07 PM
by Steve
1 102
Hello everyone
aceslawnandgarden
04-03-2014 06:54 PM
04-10-2014 01:06 PM
by Steve
9 347
Weed control programs
Mallard91
04-02-2014 12:25 PM
04-10-2014 12:56 PM
by Steve
6 321
homeowner vs...
GoGreenerKS
04-07-2014 10:54 AM
04-10-2014 12:52 PM
by Steve
8 263
Hello
smgibson
04-07-2014 10:06 PM
04-10-2014 12:39 PM
by Steve
2 108
33" Cub Cadet Walk...
Dan Tanner
04-07-2014 08:49 AM
04-10-2014 12:35 PM
by Steve
5 181
» Popular Tags
2wd 4x4 advertisement article marketing birdscaping blower care charge christmas christmas light service credit card customers echo exmark fall ferris financing flower bed for sale four wheel drive franchise gopherhaul gravely gravely 34" zero turn health holiday holiday decorating how much to charge installation invoice kansas city labor cost late lawn lawn care lawn care business lawn care business show lawn clarksville lawn service clarksville tn leaf cleanup lesco lighting brass outdoor lights llc llp marketing mowing mulch mulch price new and restored landscapes new buisness new business office management oil podcast promotion redmax scag seo snow sole proprietorship starting a business stihl subcontractor theft of services tips tree care unreasonable walker yard clarksville zero turn
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.1.0

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:27 AM.


(C) 2011 Riggs Publications - Terms of use & Privacy Policy

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:27 AM.

(C) 2011 Riggs Publications - Terms of use & Privacy Policy