Lawn Care Business Forum Lawn Care Business Book Lawn Care Business Blog Lawn Care Software
Home Forum Contract & Flyer Templates Blog Software Videos Podcast Calculators / Estimators Store Mower Review Design It Yourself Lawn Business School

Go Back   GopherHaul Landscaping & Lawn Care Business Marketing Forum > Lawn Care, Landscaping, and Property Management Forums > General Talk

General Talk If it doesn't fit anywhere else, post it here.

The bad part of town!


General Talk

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, post it here.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 04-14-2012, 07:25 PM
PineHillLawn PineHillLawn is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Nixa, MO
Posts: 117
Rep Power: 3
PineHillLawn is on a distinguished road
Default The bad part of town!

I just got back from a call from my ad on Craigslist for lawn care.

First of all it was in a rougher part of town, second there was no way to get to the front yard with anything but a 22" push mower and you'd have to carry up a set of stairs. The only other option would be to weed eat the enitre front yard, which while not huge, was just not worth my time. Then the back yard was in a place where after you weed eat the front yard you'd have to drive the whole truck and trailer around the block to get to the back yard, which was full of dog crap and had a mattress and other stuff piled up.

I figured it would take 15 minutes to mow and trim, and if I charged $25 plus an extra $10 if the dog crap wasn't cleaned up, it still wasn't a yard I wanted. As politely as I could I told the guy I just couldn't get my equipment in here.

Was this a wrong move? Should I have taken the job being that I'm just starting out and need the business?
Reply With Quote

Stop guess-timating. Learn how to estimate and make money! $$$
Mow Time Estimator Lawn Care Price Estimator Mulch and Topsoil Calculator Snow Plow Estimate Calculator


  #2  
Old 04-14-2012, 07:38 PM
jymie's Avatar
jymie jymie is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Hamburg New York
Posts: 898
Rep Power: 6
jymie is on a distinguished road
Default

Lawn care business tipsLawn Care Business Book
Quote:
Originally Posted by PineHillLawn View Post
I just got back from a call from my ad on Craigslist for lawn care.

First of all it was in a rougher part of town, second there was no way to get to the front yard with anything but a 22" push mower and you'd have to carry up a set of stairs. The only other option would be to weed eat the enitre front yard, which while not huge, was just not worth my time. Then the back yard was in a place where after you weed eat the front yard you'd have to drive the whole truck and trailer around the block to get to the back yard, which was full of dog crap and had a mattress and other stuff piled up.

I figured it would take 15 minutes to mow and trim, and if I charged $25 plus an extra $10 if the dog crap wasn't cleaned up, it still wasn't a yard I wanted. As politely as I could I told the guy I just couldn't get my equipment in here.

Was this a wrong move? Should I have taken the job being that I'm just starting out and need the business?
smart move, I never take on work in area's like this, I work to hard for my cash to risk being robbed.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-14-2012, 07:43 PM
SECTLANDSCAPING SECTLANDSCAPING is offline
new member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: CT
Posts: 1,912
Rep Power: 0
SECTLANDSCAPING is on a distinguished road
Default

you wouldve regretted taking it. You can tell a **** job when you bid. Theres no reason to believe the yard will ever be cleaned up.

I just bid three yards for one guy. One is just like described above. A fenced in backyard with no gate. You have to bring a push mower down two flights of stairs and then up to leave. I didnt have a choice to bid all 3 since there close enough together.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-14-2012, 07:48 PM
PineHillLawn PineHillLawn is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Nixa, MO
Posts: 117
Rep Power: 3
PineHillLawn is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SECTLANDSCAPING View Post
you wouldve regretted taking it. You can tell a **** job when you bid. Theres no reason to believe the yard will ever be cleaned up.

I just bid three yards for one guy. One is just like described above. A fenced in backyard with no gate. You have to bring a push mower down two flights of stairs and then up to leave. I didnt have a choice to bid all 3 since there close enough together.
Well is this the kind of yards you get from Craigslist ads? I even put a picture of the nicest yard I do and I got this call. Makes me kind of wonder if Cragslist is the right move.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-14-2012, 08:19 PM
Hedgemaster Hedgemaster is offline
new member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 2,772
Rep Power: 0
Hedgemaster is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PineHillLawn View Post
Well is this the kind of yards you get from Craigslist ads? I even put a picture of the nicest yard I do and I got this call. Makes me kind of wonder if Cragslist is the right move.
I dunno... I've had calls for a few of the yards as you described. (and turned them down)
Overall tough, I have a pretty mixed bag of "types" that I've gotten from Craigslist. To say that "wealthy people" don't use Craigslist is just not accurate.

I can't tell you what you should or shouldn't "take", but I will say this as a new guy going into my second season - If you fill your schedule with low-pay jobs, you won't have any time left for higher paying jobs when they present themselves.
I've retained almost all of my clients from my first season. I have a limited amount of spaces left to fill now and I've already turned down several jobs this spring because I either (a) Don't WANT them, or (b) don't want to work a low-paying job that I will regret taking.

I just picked up a biweekly that I'm getting $50/cut for. It's not terribly difficult and I think I can trim the time down to about 35 to 40 minutes after I get more familiar with it. Why fill that slot with a $15-$25 job?

Last season I took almost anything I could get. One thing I learned is that there are plenty (at least in my area) of people out there looking for a good lawn guy. No need to "settle" for the first lawn that comes your way.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-14-2012, 08:36 PM
JeffK26
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Don't base CL on that one property.

All kinds are on CL, not only cheapskates.

You did the right move. I'm starting out this year and I've turned down a few customers simply because the yard was either more dirt than grass, or dog crap.

More customers will come. I'm getting calls regularly.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-14-2012, 09:41 PM
SECTLANDSCAPING SECTLANDSCAPING is offline
new member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: CT
Posts: 1,912
Rep Power: 0
SECTLANDSCAPING is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PineHillLawn View Post
Well is this the kind of yards you get from Craigslist ads? I even put a picture of the nicest yard I do and I got this call. Makes me kind of wonder if Cragslist is the right move.
Yeah this guy found me on CL. I did 3-4 jobs for him before but I bid twice as many that I didnt get. I dont think I got this one either. I told him the only way I'm doing those yards if I can schedule them all the same day. Out of the 3 only 1 was a nice flat yard. The other had a steep hill down the whole backyard.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-15-2012, 04:44 AM
picframer's Avatar
picframer picframer is offline
Andy
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia
Posts: 2,885
Rep Power: 9
picframer will become famous soon enough
Default

I would say right thing, we all have area(s) in our cities that is less desirable to work in, I generally state we are currently booked solid.
__________________
Andy
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-15-2012, 10:46 AM
JLM's Avatar
JLM JLM is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Sunshine State
Age: 36
Posts: 102
Rep Power: 3
JLM is on a distinguished road
Default

I have a few in the bad part of town...It's hard to work with a Glock on your hip! LOL! What would you gain by taking the job? I dont see you picking up many lawns in that area I know first hand, I feel stuck with 2 lawns that I cant shake mowing for 2 of the nicest 75 and 82 year old ladies for next to nuthin, I have pulled no other customers from that area. You did good bud.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04-15-2012, 03:20 PM
mark123's Avatar
mark123 mark123 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Pennsyltucky
Posts: 1,401
Rep Power: 7
mark123 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgemaster View Post
I dunno... I've had calls for a few of the yards as you described. (and turned them down)
Overall tough, I have a pretty mixed bag of "types" that I've gotten from Craigslist. To say that "wealthy people" don't use Craigslist is just not accurate.

I can't tell you what you should or shouldn't "take", but I will say this as a new guy going into my second season - If you fill your schedule with low-pay jobs, you won't have any time left for higher paying jobs when they present themselves.
I've retained almost all of my clients from my first season. I have a limited amount of spaces left to fill now and I've already turned down several jobs this spring because I either (a) Don't WANT them, or (b) don't want to work a low-paying job that I will regret taking.

I just picked up a biweekly that I'm getting $50/cut for. It's not terribly difficult and I think I can trim the time down to about 35 to 40 minutes after I get more familiar with it. Why fill that slot with a $15-$25 job?

Last season I took almost anything I could get. One thing I learned is that there are plenty (at least in my area) of people out there looking for a good lawn guy. No need to "settle" for the first lawn that comes your way.
That's a great point. We aren't really selling lawn service, we are selling slots in our schedule. The point is to fill it with the best possible jobs.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New in town landerslawn Introduce Yourself 4 10-20-2011 04:19 PM
Was Out Of Town arthur712 General Talk 7 09-23-2009 10:30 PM
New in town. LavaEagle Introduce Yourself 3 05-27-2009 12:27 AM
How does your town do it? Steve Lawn Maintenance / Lawn Renovation 6 04-24-2009 07:31 PM
One business in my town. Little's General Business Discussions 7 04-17-2008 03:39 AM

» Recent Threads
  RatingTitle, Username, & Date Last Post Replies Views
In a bit situation need...
googus
04-22-2014 08:01 AM
Yesterday 10:03 PM
by googus
9 169
Mangwi Landscaping
bondservojc13
Yesterday 09:56 PM
Yesterday 09:56 PM
by bondservojc13
0 30
Pushy customers
christopherhicks82
04-22-2014 08:22 PM
Yesterday 09:07 PM
by christopherhicks82
5 143
Acerage Rake
acrajchel
Yesterday 07:23 PM
Yesterday 07:23 PM
by acrajchel
0 30
2.5 acre mowing
xandrew245x
04-18-2014 06:55 AM
Yesterday 07:11 PM
by acrajchel
15 341
New Trailer
bobwill2009
Yesterday 12:46 PM
Yesterday 06:46 PM
by BelleCityLawn1
2 68
Advertising On...
JacobsLawnMowing
03-17-2014 03:21 PM
Yesterday 06:02 PM
by bobwill2009
13 867
Any greenhouse operators...
GoGreenerKS
04-15-2014 11:21 AM
Yesterday 12:37 PM
by Steve
7 219
Pond...
xandrew245x
04-22-2014 03:29 PM
Yesterday 12:30 PM
by Steve
3 86
Truck, Trailer,...
hawthornelawncare
12-23-2011 12:01 AM
Yesterday 12:17 PM
by bobwill2009
79 25,323
The $20 Mow Job
Dan Tanner
04-21-2014 07:24 PM
Yesterday 12:06 PM
by Steve
5 196
quickbooks users
CDLAWNCARE
04-20-2014 09:03 AM
Yesterday 06:48 AM
by CDLAWNCARE
4 177
Looking for advice on a...
Tekeda1
04-13-2014 09:53 AM
04-22-2014 07:55 PM
by Just for Cuts
23 582
About D@## Time!
TamMik
04-02-2014 08:10 AM
04-22-2014 05:14 PM
by BelleCityLawn1
19 870
Back for this year
xandrew245x
02-21-2014 04:30 PM
04-22-2014 03:36 PM
by xandrew245x
19 1,010
What Was Your Setup When...
superrman77
02-11-2014 10:53 AM
04-22-2014 12:29 AM
by Tony317
22 1,717
Sulky and Turf Tracer
acrajchel
04-07-2014 01:44 PM
04-22-2014 12:07 AM
by Tony317
9 448
danny 2
danny2
04-19-2014 10:19 PM
04-21-2014 12:25 PM
by Steve
3 138
this mower is driving me...
boog
04-17-2014 12:07 PM
04-21-2014 12:10 PM
by kslawn
13 357
What Fertilizer to Use?
acrajchel
04-07-2014 01:56 PM
04-21-2014 12:02 PM
by kslawn
20 606
I Got Taken...,
Dan Tanner
04-19-2014 06:26 AM
04-21-2014 11:49 AM
by Steve
4 231
new to this forum!
mower13126
04-18-2014 07:37 PM
04-21-2014 11:39 AM
by Steve
4 149
REO calling
Dan Tanner
04-16-2014 05:03 PM
04-21-2014 11:33 AM
by Steve
12 349
employee pay
4 seasons maintenance
04-10-2011 09:34 PM
04-20-2014 04:40 PM
by Dan Tanner
20 6,885
These are the days on...
ExtremeLawncareServices
03-22-2014 09:12 AM
04-20-2014 11:13 AM
by ExtremeLawncareServices
32 1,216
Lawn Renovation
stevef1201
04-11-2014 12:00 PM
04-20-2014 11:11 AM
by kslawn
10 368
Customers droping like...
goodtimez
04-18-2014 09:53 AM
04-19-2014 08:09 AM
by CDLAWNCARE
7 231
Best Bulk Mulch delivery...
Steven Virgadamo
04-18-2014 09:52 AM
04-18-2014 05:34 PM
by Steve
2 103
Steve Virgadamo,...
Steven Virgadamo
04-18-2014 09:49 AM
04-18-2014 05:08 PM
by Steve
2 86
Instagram
Gerardo_Landscape
04-16-2014 11:28 AM
04-18-2014 04:51 PM
by Steve
3 181
Help with weed liability!
Prolawnofchatt
04-15-2014 09:10 AM
04-18-2014 04:47 PM
by Steve
5 248
Nationwide lawn care...
Billy Goat
04-15-2014 05:21 PM
04-18-2014 04:39 PM
by Steve
9 265
Truck Signage
Dan Tanner
04-16-2014 11:00 PM
04-18-2014 04:04 PM
by stevef1201
10 285
leaf removal
tlf59263
04-15-2014 10:00 PM
04-18-2014 03:59 PM
by stevef1201
6 239
Pay per click advertising
roostertail
02-12-2014 07:26 PM
04-17-2014 07:11 PM
by yardrate
10 638
Accepting credit cards,...
Darksteel
03-17-2014 08:01 PM
04-16-2014 01:02 PM
by jymie
15 806
Trimec
acrajchel
04-15-2014 08:24 PM
04-16-2014 11:10 AM
by Steve
3 149
Gopher Forum Discount!
BlackRain75
04-12-2014 10:44 PM
04-16-2014 10:50 AM
by Steve
9 349
hello
NFrailey
04-15-2014 01:39 PM
04-16-2014 10:48 AM
by Steve
1 132
Pricing a Mulch Job
dmcalpi
04-07-2014 02:16 PM
04-16-2014 09:40 AM
by jymie
21 789
google earth
CDLAWNCARE
04-12-2014 03:24 PM
04-16-2014 09:36 AM
by jymie
8 294
There has to be an...
CDLAWNCARE
04-14-2014 12:59 PM
04-15-2014 04:06 PM
by Dan Tanner
6 234
First Day Back!
BelleCityLawn1
04-09-2014 09:13 PM
04-15-2014 11:16 AM
by Steve
11 371
Mow America
stevegredler
04-13-2014 01:02 PM
04-14-2014 09:53 PM
by kslawn
5 275
Power Broom
acrajchel
04-14-2014 07:46 AM
04-14-2014 12:47 PM
by CDLAWNCARE
2 156
Say Hello !!!
Steve
03-19-2007 11:18 AM
04-14-2014 11:34 AM
by Steve
1,176 286,826
Equipment reviews
Greg'slawnandlandscape
04-09-2014 07:17 AM
04-14-2014 11:27 AM
by Greg'slawnandlandscape
13 530
Aerating Prices?
Dan Tanner
04-08-2014 03:16 PM
04-14-2014 10:31 AM
by Steve
13 538
Estimating help
acrajchel
04-11-2014 06:06 PM
04-14-2014 10:20 AM
by Steve
3 243
Need help bidding church...
GreenRidge Lawn&Landscape
04-07-2014 08:01 PM
04-14-2014 09:49 AM
by Steve
12 501
» Popular Tags
2wd 4x4 34'' ads article marketing blower butterfly gardens care charge christmas light hanging christmas lighting color jet courtesy call craigslist customers echo escrow exmark ferris florida four wheel drive fundraiser gopherhaul grass gravely holiday holiday lighting how much to charge installation labor cost lawn lawn care lawn care business lawn care business book lawn care business show lawn clarksville lawn service clarksville tn leaf marketing monthly mow mowing mulch mulch price new buisness new business new start oil outdoor environments payday payment podcast property management company redmax requests riding mower scag schedule selling seo snow social media starting a business stihl turfgrass consulting upsell walk behind walker winter money making ideas yard clarksville
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.1.0

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:39 AM.


(C) 2011 Riggs Publications - Terms of use & Privacy Policy

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:39 AM.

(C) 2011 Riggs Publications - Terms of use & Privacy Policy