Lawn Care Business Forum Lawn Care Business Book Lawn Care Business Blog Lawn Care Software
Home Forum Contract & Flyer Templates Blog Software Videos Podcast Calculators / Estimators Store Mower Review Design It Yourself Lawn Business School

Go Back   GopherHaul Landscaping & Lawn Care Business Marketing Forum > Lawn Care, Landscaping, and Property Management Forums > Health, Safety and Accident Issues.

Health, Safety and Accident Issues. Discussion on health & safety issues that effect the lawn care, landscaping, tree care, power washing, snow plowing and other trades. Talks of accidents that have occurred and how they could have been prevented. OSHA rules.

Mans 6 yr old son pulled into woodchipper


Health, Safety and Accident Issues.

Discussion on health & safety issues that effect the lawn care, landscaping, tree care, power washing, snow plowing and other trades. Talks of accidents that have occurred and how they could have been prevented. OSHA rules.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 04-11-2012, 07:17 PM
SECTLANDSCAPING SECTLANDSCAPING is offline
new member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: CT
Posts: 1,912
Rep Power: 0
SECTLANDSCAPING is on a distinguished road
Default Mans 6 yr old son pulled into woodchipper

Salem plans special fund, candlelight vigil for 6-year-old victim of tragic accident

By Jeffrey A. Johnson
http://www.theday.com/article/201204...120419884/1018
Publication: theday.com
Published 04/11/2012 12:00 AM
Updated 04/11/2012 06:24 PM

Salem - The town has started a special fund at the Chelsea Groton Bank at Salem Four Corners called the "Bourgeois Family Fund" for the family of the six-year-old boy who died Tuesday when he was pulled in by a commercial-size wood chipper.

People can make donations only at that Chelsea branch or by dropping off or mailing donations to the Town Hall.

First Selectman Kevin Lyden also said this afternoon that the town is planning a candlelight vigil for 7:45 p.m. Thursday night on the Town Green, located near the town offices and the Congregational Church of Salem on Hartford Road.

Jeffrey Bourgeois was the victim of the tragic accident while with his father, Scott, at a work site at 24 Brookside Drive. Scott Bourgeois and his wife, Corinne, own C&S Tree Removal.

Lyden, who visited the Bourgeois home early today with his wife, Kathleen, and son, Charlie, said that numerous people in town have contacted him looking for a way to help the family. One elderly woman stopped by the Town Hall today with tears in her eyes to deliver a donation, Lyden said.

"There's no magic answer to get through all of this," Lyden said. "It's a process with a million steps."

Margaret Caron, the president of the Parent Teacher Organization and a Board of Education member, also said there has been an outpouring of support for the Bourgeois family. Caron said her son, Ben, is best friends with Zacary Bourgeois, the older brother of Jeffrey.

"The pain we are experiencing as a community is profound," Caron said. "As the days pass we will help each other heal and we will take solace in the fact that we were fortunate to know Jeff during his brief time here with us. Our hearts are with Scott, Corey, Nicole and Zach."
Reply With Quote

Stop guess-timating. Learn how to estimate and make money! $$$
Mow Time Estimator Lawn Care Price Estimator Mulch and Topsoil Calculator Snow Plow Estimate Calculator


  #2  
Old 04-11-2012, 08:29 PM
Cashin H&P Cashin H&P is offline
new member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Bedford NH
Posts: 409
Rep Power: 0
Cashin H&P is on a distinguished road
Default

Lawn care business tipsLawn Care Business Book
Quote:
Originally Posted by SECTLANDSCAPING View Post
Salem plans special fund, candlelight vigil for 6-year-old victim of tragic accident

By Jeffrey A. Johnson
http://www.theday.com/article/201204...120419884/1018
Publication: theday.com
Published 04/11/2012 12:00 AM
Updated 04/11/2012 06:24 PM

Salem - The town has started a special fund at the Chelsea Groton Bank at Salem Four Corners called the "Bourgeois Family Fund" for the family of the six-year-old boy who died Tuesday when he was pulled in by a commercial-size wood chipper.

People can make donations only at that Chelsea branch or by dropping off or mailing donations to the Town Hall.

First Selectman Kevin Lyden also said this afternoon that the town is planning a candlelight vigil for 7:45 p.m. Thursday night on the Town Green, located near the town offices and the Congregational Church of Salem on Hartford Road.

Jeffrey Bourgeois was the victim of the tragic accident while with his father, Scott, at a work site at 24 Brookside Drive. Scott Bourgeois and his wife, Corinne, own C&S Tree Removal.

Lyden, who visited the Bourgeois home early today with his wife, Kathleen, and son, Charlie, said that numerous people in town have contacted him looking for a way to help the family. One elderly woman stopped by the Town Hall today with tears in her eyes to deliver a donation, Lyden said.

"There's no magic answer to get through all of this," Lyden said. "It's a process with a million steps."

Margaret Caron, the president of the Parent Teacher Organization and a Board of Education member, also said there has been an outpouring of support for the Bourgeois family. Caron said her son, Ben, is best friends with Zacary Bourgeois, the older brother of Jeffrey.

"The pain we are experiencing as a community is profound," Caron said. "As the days pass we will help each other heal and we will take solace in the fact that we were fortunate to know Jeff during his brief time here with us. Our hearts are with Scott, Corey, Nicole and Zach."
This is really is a terrible accident. I feel so sorry for that family. However who brings a 6 year old to a job site like that.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-12-2012, 04:10 AM
CS-LawnService CS-LawnService is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Paw Paw West Virginia
Age: 51
Posts: 133
Rep Power: 4
CS-LawnService is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashin home and property View Post
This is really is a terrible accident. I feel so sorry for that family. However who brings a 6 year old to a job site like that.
I agree and who does not watch a 6 year old when they are around dangerous equipments.
I think the parents should be charged for child endangerment ,as parents we have a responsibility for our children and this parent failed in that responsibility
__________________
Chris Hoeltke
serving Winchester Virginia and surrounding areas
C&S Lawn Service

Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-12-2012, 10:27 AM
SECTLANDSCAPING SECTLANDSCAPING is offline
new member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: CT
Posts: 1,912
Rep Power: 0
SECTLANDSCAPING is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CS-LawnService View Post
I agree and who does not watch a 6 year old when they are around dangerous equipments.
I think the parents should be charged for child endangerment ,as parents we have a responsibility for our children and this parent failed in that responsibility
This is what surprised me. The parents are getting sympathy for this accident instead of criticism. Theres a lot of people who get charged with risk of injury to a minor for petty things. This type of equipment is dangerous for even adults. Theres definitely negligence here.

On the other side I couldnt imagine this happening to me. I dont know how I could ever go back to work afterwards.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-12-2012, 11:06 AM
Apex Lawn & Landscape Apex Lawn & Landscape is offline
new member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Pittsburgh suburbs
Posts: 384
Rep Power: 0
Apex Lawn & Landscape is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SECTLANDSCAPING View Post
This is what surprised me. The parents are getting sympathy for this accident instead of criticism. Theres a lot of people who get charged with risk of injury to a minor for petty things. This type of equipment is dangerous for even adults. Theres definitely negligence here.

On the other side I couldnt imagine this happening to me. I dont know how I could ever go back to work afterwards.
This just pisses me off...I agree with the criticism comment..they in no way should be getting sympathy. How can a parent be so negligent !!! ? If my kid were to step near my machine I would stop instantly what I'm doing and tell them to leave now! I couldn't imagine going back to work either, honestly think I'd give up on everything . I get the chills just thinking of this scenario.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-12-2012, 12:19 PM
CS-LawnService CS-LawnService is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Paw Paw West Virginia
Age: 51
Posts: 133
Rep Power: 4
CS-LawnService is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex Lawn & Landscape View Post
This just pisses me off...I agree with the criticism comment..they in no way should be getting sympathy. How can a parent be so negligent !!! ? If my kid were to step near my machine I would stop instantly what I'm doing and tell them to leave now! I couldn't imagine going back to work either, honestly think I'd give up on everything . I get the chills just thinking of this scenario.
They may not have a choice about going back to work ,it was a death on a job site that means OSHA investigation .I can only imagine the fines the owner will face.
__________________
Chris Hoeltke
serving Winchester Virginia and surrounding areas
C&S Lawn Service

Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-12-2012, 03:23 PM
CHEESE2009 CHEESE2009 is offline
Dr. Scott - Ruler of the Underworld
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Switzerland, Grindelwald
Age: 74
Posts: 4,475
Rep Power: 0
CHEESE2009 is on a distinguished road
Default

I was feeling chipper until I read this.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-12-2012, 04:34 PM
PineHillLawn PineHillLawn is offline
new member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Nixa, MO
Posts: 117
Rep Power: 0
PineHillLawn is on a distinguished road
Default

Yeah this is horrble its happened but the chance should have been taken out of the equasion. You never, never, never let a small kid near anything like this. They don't understand how dangerous stuff like this is and can get hurt from just intrigue. I feel bad someone lost a child this way but come on, use common sense. I won't mow or weedeat my yard if I see my 3 yr old outside playing anywhere close. If it hurts when I get hit with a rock or twig, it's sure to hurt my little girl. I can wait or she can go inside.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 05-05-2012, 10:36 AM
JesseN JesseN is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 27
Rep Power: 4
JesseN is on a distinguished road
Default

Jesus, I can't imagine witnessing your kid getting wood chipped
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07-09-2012, 09:59 AM
dpld dpld is offline
new member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: nj
Posts: 885
Rep Power: 0
dpld is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SECTLANDSCAPING View Post
This is what surprised me. The parents are getting sympathy for this accident instead of criticism. Theres a lot of people who get charged with risk of injury to a minor for petty things. This type of equipment is dangerous for even adults. Theres definitely negligence here.

On the other side I couldnt imagine this happening to me. I dont know how I could ever go back to work afterwards.
i feel for the family and even though i would have to say they put the child in that position, they have to live with that the rest of their lives.

i want my kids to grow up and get a education so they don't have to do what i do for a living but at the same time when they are old enough i want them to experience what i do so they not only know what it is like to work for a living but maybe inspire them to stay in school and get the education they need.
but with that said i would never bring my kids around any equipment especially at age 6 with a wood chipper.
i have heard dozens of stories over the years about experienced adults getting devoured by wood chippers and just the thought of that alone i would not let a child be around one when it was off much less working.

i am a little shocked how there is no talk of why the child was even near the machine as well as what were the parents thinking.
people have dyfus called on them for bringing their kids to school late and get charged for child neglect.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
wood chipper accident

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
lady pulled out in front of my wrecking my work truck! afronumeric Community Assistance 12 06-15-2011 07:51 PM
Pulled over a few minutes ago CHEESE2009 General Talk 11 02-06-2011 07:35 AM
Pulled the trigger armowing General Talk 6 08-03-2009 05:57 PM

» Recent Threads
  RatingTitle, Username, & Date Last Post Replies Views
Things your lawn care...
Steve
Today 11:48 AM
Today 11:48 AM
by Steve
0 6
I can't believe people...
ExtremeLawncareServices
05-25-2015 10:29 AM
Today 11:45 AM
by jrs.landscaping
9 205
Show us your stripes
Just for Cuts
05-21-2015 03:07 PM
Today 11:35 AM
by Steve
5 155
What a JERK!
Chilehead
05-06-2015 08:13 AM
Today 11:28 AM
by Steve
14 730
Pissed off customers
stonegatedesigns
Yesterday 05:29 PM
Today 11:26 AM
by Steve
3 90
Great start to the season
jcurr33
05-25-2015 08:49 PM
Yesterday 01:50 PM
by Steve
2 76
uploading video on here?
holymoly
05-24-2015 08:13 AM
Yesterday 01:37 PM
by Steve
2 84
new here ! need help
pgrace
05-23-2015 11:29 PM
Yesterday 01:35 PM
by Steve
1 89
Equipment dealers
mattthelawnguy
05-21-2015 04:33 PM
Yesterday 01:32 PM
by Steve
4 138
What's your next...
Steve
05-15-2015 11:54 AM
Yesterday 01:25 PM
by Steve
14 378
problems with a customer
LawnCareMan280
05-19-2015 06:28 PM
Yesterday 01:22 PM
by Steve
5 200
More Rain or Less?
Steve
05-20-2015 12:06 PM
05-24-2015 04:37 PM
by SGL1
12 267
Irrigation
pboy8634
02-21-2010 12:46 PM
05-22-2015 10:05 PM
by biglee
25 8,451
Beginner Mistakes:...
Steve
01-31-2007 11:45 AM
05-22-2015 09:58 PM
by biglee
37 9,173
Peace garden ideas
SGL1
05-13-2015 03:15 PM
05-21-2015 07:51 PM
by avetslawncare
16 516
These are the days on...
ExtremeLawncareServices
01-11-2015 10:41 AM
05-20-2015 09:18 PM
by ExtremeLawncareServices
84 6,834
Total yard rehab
SGL1
04-23-2015 03:59 PM
05-19-2015 08:22 PM
by SGL1
15 823
Say Hello !!!
Steve
03-19-2007 11:18 AM
05-19-2015 04:12 PM
by NinaMarie86
1,223 389,941
New Lawn Service
carmelitaslawnservice
05-19-2015 10:02 AM
05-19-2015 02:51 PM
by Steve
1 124
Landscaper Jailed After...
SGL1
05-18-2015 08:15 AM
05-19-2015 02:37 PM
by Steve
5 228
Pictures of commercial...
avetslawncare
04-01-2015 09:47 PM
05-19-2015 02:29 PM
by Steve
38 2,027
feeling like im being...
Bradcook21
05-17-2015 07:33 AM
05-19-2015 02:11 PM
by Steve
6 234
good news yesterday
Bradcook21
05-17-2015 07:08 AM
05-19-2015 06:16 AM
by Bradcook21
3 166
ignition coil
jasonw
05-12-2015 05:31 PM
05-18-2015 12:07 PM
by Steve
3 280
Anyone need help? I have...
biglee
05-06-2015 12:22 PM
05-18-2015 12:06 PM
by Steve
13 710
Big (to me) mulch job
tl757
04-23-2015 05:32 PM
05-15-2015 08:46 PM
by biglee
22 1,511
big dog mowers?
Bradcook21
05-13-2015 04:03 PM
05-14-2015 10:55 AM
by Steve
4 304
Small HOA Bid
lxarth
05-06-2015 10:37 PM
05-13-2015 11:55 AM
by Steve
9 530
New company in Michigan
SEM
04-24-2015 09:27 PM
05-13-2015 11:51 AM
by Steve
11 661
Fired for refusing to...
Mr. Mow
05-09-2015 06:15 AM
05-12-2015 01:36 PM
by Steve
6 523
I have ZERO confidence...
Just for Cuts
05-01-2015 04:24 PM
05-12-2015 03:53 AM
by jrs.landscaping
31 1,130
landscape insurance
clarkslawn
03-30-2015 10:14 PM
05-11-2015 01:15 PM
by Steve
6 1,040
String trim BEFORE mow...
Mr. Mow
04-12-2015 08:13 AM
05-10-2015 07:50 PM
by ExtremeLawncareServices
9 1,082
Bought my first STIHL...
Mr. Mow
05-09-2015 06:29 AM
05-10-2015 08:36 AM
by Mr. Mow
9 435
advice wanted please and...
CHenricks
05-07-2015 08:40 PM
05-08-2015 04:20 PM
by CHenricks
7 448
Hello
SallyBorowicz
05-06-2015 11:14 AM
05-08-2015 02:21 PM
by Steve
3 359
Mower Advice
tl757
05-06-2015 02:31 PM
05-08-2015 01:45 PM
by Steve
6 484
Home today...Still...
biglee
05-06-2015 11:59 AM
05-07-2015 12:06 PM
by biglee
2 363
I'm Back With The Best...
aduttonater
02-21-2015 12:41 AM
05-07-2015 11:17 AM
by Steve
79 4,014
color fliers?
holymoly
04-18-2015 02:32 PM
05-07-2015 10:57 AM
by Steve
16 1,053
Looking good
mrsmichigan
05-06-2015 09:47 AM
05-07-2015 10:53 AM
by Steve
1 306
What are your biggest...
Steve
05-05-2015 01:24 PM
05-07-2015 10:52 AM
by Steve
2 357
is craiglist good to...
JBENI
04-16-2015 11:11 AM
05-06-2015 07:15 PM
by TheYardGuy
12 1,141
Go daddy web site and...
jcurr33
05-04-2015 06:00 PM
05-05-2015 11:57 AM
by Steve
2 385
How busy are you now?
Steve
05-04-2015 01:10 PM
05-05-2015 11:47 AM
by Steve
4 420
mowfinder
scaypa
04-27-2015 05:44 PM
05-04-2015 01:14 PM
by Steve
1 446
Latest video, Facebook...
Sprinkler Buddy
05-01-2015 06:54 AM
05-04-2015 01:09 PM
by Steve
3 418
weed
avetslawncare
04-16-2015 07:56 PM
05-01-2015 11:38 AM
by Steve
8 831
so i need somehelp with...
dalvan0
04-28-2015 07:43 PM
04-30-2015 10:55 PM
by avetslawncare
3 727
Anyone have a Lawn Care...
nishirandall
04-28-2015 08:45 PM
04-30-2015 12:00 AM
by Steve
1 491
» Popular Tags
aerocore apartment bid apartment lawn care estimate applying auger billy goat brushcutter blades blowout bush commercial curb appeal services deliquentaccounts demonstration ditches door hangers employee problems equipment rental estimate facebook foreman free advertising google growing a lawn care business how to husqvarna jobs john deere quik trac landscape landscape services landscaping training lawn lawn care lawn care busines plan managing a lawn care business marketing more customers business mr dave mulch new business patio install per hour service pricing pto scag secrets to landscaping sell the vision shell shreaded small engine repair snow plowing sq ft square foot starting a lawn care business steep lawns swzt theft toro toro grand stand tractor auger trailer trailer mate pro tree trimmer rack up sell employee web design website website design winterization wood wright stander rh
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.1.0

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:36 PM.


(C) 2011 Riggs Publications - Terms of use & Privacy Policy

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:36 PM.

(C) 2011 Riggs Publications - Terms of use & Privacy Policy