Lawn Care Business Forum Lawn Care Business Book Lawn Care Business Blog Lawn Care Software
Home Forum Contract & Flyer Templates Blog Software Videos Podcast Calculators / Estimators Store Mower Review Design It Yourself Lawn Business School

Go Back   GopherHaul Landscaping & Lawn Care Business Marketing Forum > Lawn Care, Landscaping, and Property Management Forums > Truck, Trailer, and Outdoor Power Equipment Discussion, Repairs.

Truck, Trailer, and Outdoor Power Equipment Discussion, Repairs. Questions on your truck, trailer, commercial lawn mowers, lawn mower, mower parts, lawn tractors, engines, edgers, trimmers, pole saws, aerators, hydro seeders, snow plows, chain saws, stump grinders??

Diesel Powered Mowers


Truck, Trailer, and Outdoor Power Equipment Discussion, Repairs.

Questions on your truck, trailer, commercial lawn mowers, lawn mower, mower parts, lawn tractors, engines, edgers, trimmers, pole saws, aerators, hydro seeders, snow plows, chain saws, stump grinders??
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #21  
Old 02-24-2012, 04:27 PM
picframer's Avatar
picframer picframer is offline
Andy
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia
Posts: 2,885
Rep Power: 9
picframer will become famous soon enough
Default

My tractors are not bio, two excavators and my Jetta are, I burn fish oil and never have an issue, super cheap as I live right on the Atlantic so there are many processing plants, some of the city bus's are running fish oil also. the Jetta will burn whatever you put in it However for max power the garage #1 is the best.
__________________
Andy
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Reply With Quote

Stop guess-timating. Learn how to estimate and make money! $$$
Mow Time Estimator Lawn Care Price Estimator Mulch and Topsoil Calculator Snow Plow Estimate Calculator


  #22  
Old 02-25-2012, 11:54 AM
HAMPTON ROADS LAWN CARE HAMPTON ROADS LAWN CARE is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 78
Rep Power: 3
HAMPTON ROADS LAWN CARE is on a distinguished road
Default

Lawn care business tipsLawn Care Business Book
Quote:
Originally Posted by picframer View Post
the engine is a Yanmar, they can't be beat, most of the fishing boats here run these engines also,

Those boats must be small!!!

I was a charter boat Capt for 4 years before joining the Military and I ran a 36 Chris w/270 cummins and a 36 hat w/3208 cats as well as a 31 bertram w/3116 cats and I will tell you any Bertram's running yanmars couldent keep up lol


Its a good small diesel though!!!

(sorry to get off track)
__________________
LICENSED AND INSURED

Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 02-25-2012, 12:00 PM
HAMPTON ROADS LAWN CARE HAMPTON ROADS LAWN CARE is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 78
Rep Power: 3
HAMPTON ROADS LAWN CARE is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpld View Post
off road diesel is the same as home heating oil and it has the dye in it as well as it is not nearly as clean as the diesel fuel plus home heating ol cost about the same so combine that with running dirtier fuel through your machine you are better off running the real diesel fuel.


I have to disagree with you here diesel is a dirty fuel to begin with but this is totally different the only difference is the dye that they put into it because it is not taxed for road use!!!

There is something like 30-40 cent tax on each gallon.

I remember back in 1998-2000 i was putting off road diesel in my boat and it was 90 cent a gallon and gas was still a little over $2 a gallon!!
__________________
LICENSED AND INSURED

Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 02-25-2012, 12:04 PM
HAMPTON ROADS LAWN CARE HAMPTON ROADS LAWN CARE is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 78
Rep Power: 3
HAMPTON ROADS LAWN CARE is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpld View Post
also the #2 oil has a dye in it that causes a blue smoke to appear in the exaust to tip off law enforcement that you are running the #2 in your vehicle to avoid the road taxes

I have never ever seen this Blue smoke!!!!

Is this a myth or have you seen it in real life because i have been running off road diesel since 1997 and have never ever seen this!!!
__________________
LICENSED AND INSURED

Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 02-25-2012, 12:09 PM
HAMPTON ROADS LAWN CARE HAMPTON ROADS LAWN CARE is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 78
Rep Power: 3
HAMPTON ROADS LAWN CARE is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegroundscrew View Post
Great post so far. It appears that their are mixed feelings about diesel powered mowers. I'm still thinking whether I follow through on purchasing a diesel. My uncle runs diesel for his trucks and he actually makes it himself. He can make 60 gallons a batch which takes 24 hours to make. He said it only costs him 70 cents a gallon. I did some research on making your own diesel fuel and this is a machine you can buy for only $1,500. All you need to do is get all the material required and mix it (most importantly get the oil). But i can go around many restaurants in the area and get their oil. I know at the golf course i work at they have 15 gallons of oil a week. Here is what a biodiesel processor looks like http://www.saferwholesale.com/Search...&Submit=Search.

What are all your thoughts on this?
I know a guy who has been running his ford on this for almost 2 years now he said the only problem is the pain in the *** filling it up lol

He has a huge processor in his garage and makes all of his own and when the truck is running the exhaust smells like fried chicken lol
__________________
LICENSED AND INSURED

Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 02-25-2012, 05:45 PM
dpld dpld is offline
new member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: nj
Posts: 885
Rep Power: 0
dpld is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAMPTON ROADS LAWN CARE View Post
I have to disagree with you here diesel is a dirty fuel to begin with but this is totally different the only difference is the dye that they put into it because it is not taxed for road use!!!

There is something like 30-40 cent tax on each gallon.

I remember back in 1998-2000 i was putting off road diesel in my boat and it was 90 cent a gallon and gas was still a little over $2 a gallon!!

diesel is not dirty fuel, it just does not burn as efficiently as gas does and if the engine is cold or not at full operating temperature it will cause the excessive smoke.
diesel engines will actually cool down at a idle and you will get more build up in the motor if you idle to long and that build up leetches down the cylinder walls into the oil.

heat is the determining factor in how clean it burns and if you are driving down the highway and look at a big rig going down the highway that is running at temp the exaust is almost a clear as a car's running on gas.

as i said before if you don't believe me that the diesel is not cleaner then the #2 just put a little of each in two seperate glass containers and you will see what i am saying, proof is in the pudding.

in 1998-2000 most everything was cheaper and i could buy a pack of cigerettes for half of what they cost today so i am a little confused as to what 10 years ago has to do what things cost today.

10 years ago there was a noticeable difference in fuel prices compared to how they were used in over the road and off road but in todays world with speculators and demand have changed that dramatically to the point where it is not so different anymore.

the only factor that could change that is where you live because fuel prices vary from region to region.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 02-25-2012, 05:52 PM
dpld dpld is offline
new member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: nj
Posts: 885
Rep Power: 0
dpld is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAMPTON ROADS LAWN CARE View Post
I have never ever seen this Blue smoke!!!!

Is this a myth or have you seen it in real life because i have been running off road diesel since 1997 and have never ever seen this!!!
the dyes purpose is for law enforcemet and the dot to determine visually if you are running the correct fuel and no it is not a myth and if you drive in my state running off road diesel on the road you will not go 2 days before you get caught.

and on top of being heavily fined you will also need to make arraingments to find another way to get where you are going because your vehicle will be impounded and will not be released until once again you pay some more heavy fines and have the entire fuel system cleaned out of the existing off road fuel.

i have seen it a thousand times and if you don't believe me fill your tank with some #2 and take a ride through the garden state and you will get a very expensive education in the differences between the two.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 02-26-2012, 11:05 AM
picframer's Avatar
picframer picframer is offline
Andy
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia
Posts: 2,885
Rep Power: 9
picframer will become famous soon enough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAMPTON ROADS LAWN CARE View Post
Those boats must be small!!!

I was a charter boat Capt for 4 years before joining the Military and I ran a 36 Chris w/270 cummins and a 36 hat w/3208 cats as well as a 31 bertram w/3116 cats and I will tell you any Bertram's running yanmars couldent keep up lol


Its a good small diesel though!!!

(sorry to get off track)
Most are small operations, 40 foot or less boats, keep in mind the AY series of Yanmar is 911 H.P., that will push a pretty good size boat. The vast majority of sail boats here are Yanmar, they sell the #2 diesel right at the yaught clubs.
__________________
Andy
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 02-28-2012, 07:37 PM
HAMPTON ROADS LAWN CARE HAMPTON ROADS LAWN CARE is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 78
Rep Power: 3
HAMPTON ROADS LAWN CARE is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpld View Post
diesel is not dirty fuel, it just does not burn as efficiently as gas does and if the engine is cold or not at full operating temperature it will cause the excessive smoke.
diesel engines will actually cool down at a idle and you will get more build up in the motor if you idle to long and that build up leetches down the cylinder walls into the oil.

heat is the determining factor in how clean it burns and if you are driving down the highway and look at a big rig going down the highway that is running at temp the exaust is almost a clear as a car's running on gas.

as i said before if you don't believe me that the diesel is not cleaner then the #2 just put a little of each in two seperate glass containers and you will see what i am saying, proof is in the pudding.

in 1998-2000 most everything was cheaper and i could buy a pack of cigerettes for half of what they cost today so i am a little confused as to what 10 years ago has to do what things cost today.

10 years ago there was a noticeable difference in fuel prices compared to how they were used in over the road and off road but in todays world with speculators and demand have changed that dramatically to the point where it is not so different anymore.

the only factor that could change that is where you live because fuel prices vary from region to region.
Well what I mean about it being dirtier is the fact that it is not refined as much as gas is and that there is more oil in diesel than gas and I have been runnin diesels since the mid 90's so there is not a whole lot you can tell me about them lol

And what I meant about 10 years ago is that diesel has jumped almost 3 dollars a gallon and gas has only jumped about $1.50 so there is know way that it is all on road tax!
__________________
LICENSED AND INSURED

Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 02-28-2012, 07:39 PM
HAMPTON ROADS LAWN CARE HAMPTON ROADS LAWN CARE is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 78
Rep Power: 3
HAMPTON ROADS LAWN CARE is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpld View Post
the dyes purpose is for law enforcemet and the dot to determine visually if you are running the correct fuel and no it is not a myth and if you drive in my state running off road diesel on the road you will not go 2 days before you get caught.

and on top of being heavily fined you will also need to make arraingments to find another way to get where you are going because your vehicle will be impounded and will not be released until once again you pay some more heavy fines and have the entire fuel system cleaned out of the existing off road fuel.

i have seen it a thousand times and if you don't believe me fill your tank with some #2 and take a ride through the garden state and you will get a very expensive education in the differences between the two.
Trust me I will never do it also I will take your education lesson on here as to it lol but i was just wondering because of all my years running off-road diesel I have never seen this!
__________________
LICENSED AND INSURED

Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
BAttery Powered Push Mowers SageDesignLM Truck, Trailer, and Outdoor Power Equipment Discussion, Repairs. 12 04-22-2011 08:04 AM
Is Propane Powered Equipment a Gimmick? BudgetGreenLawns.com Community Assistance 3 11-09-2009 05:33 PM
Gas or diesel? LOUROCK Truck, Trailer, and Outdoor Power Equipment Discussion, Repairs. 14 08-18-2008 12:07 PM
Diesel Grasshopper.... musician/lawnman Truck, Trailer, and Outdoor Power Equipment Discussion, Repairs. 6 04-13-2008 07:11 PM
Propane powered mowers? Steve General Business Discussions 7 10-05-2007 10:27 PM

» Recent Threads
  RatingTitle, Username, & Date Last Post Replies Views
Incorporating &...
WesleySnips
Yesterday 09:39 PM
Today 03:47 AM
by Sprinkler Buddy
1 52
Hello from Kentucky
TRV
09-30-2014 05:42 PM
Yesterday 09:21 PM
by TRV
3 155
Mowing the hills
EyeCatchersNow
07-08-2014 12:22 PM
Yesterday 05:57 PM
by Steve
21 1,876
Real Estate??
tbtigers03
09-30-2014 06:43 PM
Yesterday 05:01 PM
by stevef1201
5 210
John Deere z235 Deck
WesleySnips
09-29-2014 06:02 PM
Yesterday 04:38 PM
by WesleySnips
5 257
Sprinkler head guards...
Sprinkler Buddy
09-27-2014 04:55 AM
Yesterday 02:50 PM
by Sprinkler Buddy
6 459
Look out Bob Villa -...
Mr Dave
09-30-2014 10:06 AM
Yesterday 02:19 PM
by Steve
5 228
Question?what should I...
dalvan0
09-24-2014 11:10 PM
Yesterday 01:39 PM
by Steve
17 848
Whe does Mowing season...
jack2048
09-30-2014 07:05 AM
Yesterday 01:38 PM
by jack2048
4 222
Kohler command carb...
ExtremeLawncareServices
09-21-2014 03:09 PM
Yesterday 01:30 PM
by Steve
26 1,188
Help a brother...
tbtigers03
09-28-2014 11:41 AM
Yesterday 01:26 PM
by Steve
7 409
Give Me Your Problems
ellakit
09-30-2014 04:10 PM
09-30-2014 04:10 PM
by ellakit
0 17
Say Hello !!!
Steve
03-19-2007 11:18 AM
09-30-2014 03:53 PM
by ellakit
1,188 336,327
Falling into business
stellarmowing
09-28-2014 04:35 PM
09-30-2014 02:17 PM
by Steve
4 370
hey
sizemorelawncare
09-28-2014 08:12 PM
09-29-2014 03:10 PM
by Steve
2 297
Update on LawnsAway and...
Ian Lovejoy
09-28-2014 10:24 AM
09-29-2014 03:09 PM
by Steve
2 352
Need to figure out how...
tjslawnde
09-28-2014 10:31 AM
09-29-2014 03:05 PM
by Steve
4 364
Aerocore Deck?
wdrdoctor
09-26-2014 06:21 PM
09-29-2014 02:36 PM
by Steve
3 487
Hello from CNY
arazucontracting
09-22-2014 06:07 PM
09-29-2014 02:33 PM
by Steve
3 744
How to price lawn mowing.
jack2048
09-24-2014 04:18 PM
09-29-2014 02:27 PM
by Steve
4 603
Pricing ????
6295danny
01-14-2013 07:54 PM
09-29-2014 02:22 PM
by Steve
35 6,616
30 Inch Push Mowers Pros...
Billy Goat
06-27-2013 08:07 PM
09-27-2014 04:11 PM
by SGL1
30 7,147
Replacing a Shindi T-27
Dan Tanner
09-13-2014 12:59 PM
09-26-2014 04:16 PM
by stevef1201
5 1,125
Looking for feed back on...
ExtremeLawncareServices
09-17-2014 08:38 AM
09-25-2014 09:18 AM
by ExtremeLawncareServices
10 1,155
These are the days on...
ExtremeLawncareServices
03-22-2014 09:12 AM
09-25-2014 08:01 AM
by ExtremeLawncareServices
124 9,357
Trying something new,...
ExtremeLawncareServices
09-21-2014 09:07 PM
09-23-2014 11:13 AM
by Steve
4 838
This sucks...
Matther777
09-18-2014 04:56 PM
09-22-2014 08:02 PM
by ExtremeLawncareServices
11 1,213
Not sure, but anyone do...
SnowRemoval2k14
09-22-2014 12:10 AM
09-22-2014 04:49 PM
by Steve
1 784
Tribulations of working...
stevef1201
09-13-2014 08:37 AM
09-22-2014 04:45 PM
by Steve
9 1,112
Mulching beds
Bradcook21
09-21-2014 07:43 AM
09-22-2014 04:43 PM
by Steve
3 854
Scag turf tiger hydrolic...
ExtremeLawncareServices
09-04-2014 10:55 PM
09-22-2014 04:35 PM
by Steve
12 1,478
2014 Gie-expo
ExtremeLawncareServices
08-19-2014 11:22 PM
09-21-2014 09:23 PM
by ExtremeLawncareServices
3 1,520
Mowing 7 acres
avetslawncare
08-31-2014 04:24 PM
09-19-2014 03:29 PM
by acrajchel
6 1,735
snowplowing
jshak40
09-01-2014 07:20 AM
09-19-2014 11:49 AM
by Steve
23 2,168
Lowballers scrubs &...
Darksteel
01-13-2014 07:35 AM
09-18-2014 06:32 PM
by Northwoods Outdoors
58 7,557
Hello from upstate NY!
A&MLawn&Snow
09-18-2014 11:19 AM
09-18-2014 04:10 PM
by Sprinkler Buddy
2 947
Price to apply fertilizer
SS.Lawncare
09-15-2014 11:10 AM
09-18-2014 01:16 PM
by Steve
9 1,130
Trailer tires
J.A.S.LawnService
09-01-2014 10:17 AM
09-17-2014 09:57 PM
by curts lawn care
4 1,566
new to the forum
SGlawncare
09-16-2014 11:20 PM
09-17-2014 08:29 PM
by curts lawn care
3 955
Help With Snow Blowing...
Robertf31
09-13-2014 10:55 PM
09-17-2014 12:34 PM
by Steve
11 1,325
Non-Stop Summer?
SouthallMowing
09-14-2014 10:51 PM
09-17-2014 10:48 AM
by stevef1201
6 1,079
Poll - net income
Dan5082
11-15-2010 08:08 PM
09-16-2014 04:44 PM
by jrs.landscaping
12 3,831
Getting lowballed!
PineHillLawn
06-27-2012 07:23 AM
09-16-2014 01:25 PM
by jrs.landscaping
24 5,571
Compare this summer to...
Steve
09-03-2014 12:52 PM
09-16-2014 11:20 AM
by Hanks Lawn Care Services
15 1,755
thinking about throwing...
veteranslawncaresystems
09-09-2014 10:31 PM
09-15-2014 03:41 PM
by Steve
12 1,480
Hello
Robertf31
09-12-2014 10:34 PM
09-15-2014 03:17 PM
by Steve
2 971
Newbie......Again
Jibber
09-13-2014 12:17 PM
09-15-2014 02:54 PM
by Sprinkler Buddy
2 1,099
need help with starter...
GoGreenerKS
09-12-2014 04:23 PM
09-15-2014 02:25 PM
by Steve
3 1,023
Brake job!
kslawn
08-30-2014 07:49 AM
09-15-2014 02:16 PM
by Steve
12 1,842
Hello
jawnebgoode
08-28-2014 08:37 PM
09-15-2014 02:15 PM
by Steve
3 1,567
» Popular Tags
2wd 4x4 aerocore apartment complex article marketing auger bid billy goat brushcutter blades care charge christmas collections collections subcontractor equipment rental exmark ferris foreman four wheel drive gopherhaul grass gravely growing a lawn care business health hills honda how much to charge husqvarna installation john deere quik trac landscape services lawn lawn care lawn care business lawn care business book lawn care business seo lawn care business show lawn care business website lawn care business website seo lawn care website lesco marketing mechanic monthly mr dave mulch mulch price new buisness new business new mower podcast pto running a business scag schedule scripts search engine optimization seo small engine repair starting a business starting a lawn care business steve stihl theft toro toro grand stand trailer trimmer rack walk behind walker
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.1.0

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:13 AM.


(C) 2011 Riggs Publications - Terms of use & Privacy Policy

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:13 AM.

(C) 2011 Riggs Publications - Terms of use & Privacy Policy