Lawn Care Business Forum Lawn Care Business Book Lawn Care Business Blog Lawn Care Software
Home Forum Contract & Flyer Templates Blog Software Videos Podcast Calculators / Estimators Store Mower Review Design It Yourself Lawn Business School

Go Back   GopherHaul Landscaping & Lawn Care Business Marketing Forum > Lawn Care, Landscaping, and Property Management Forums > Truck, Trailer, and Outdoor Power Equipment Discussion, Repairs.

Truck, Trailer, and Outdoor Power Equipment Discussion, Repairs. Questions on your truck, trailer, commercial lawn mowers, lawn mower, mower parts, lawn tractors, engines, edgers, trimmers, pole saws, aerators, hydro seeders, snow plows, chain saws, stump grinders??

Diesel Powered Mowers


Truck, Trailer, and Outdoor Power Equipment Discussion, Repairs.

Questions on your truck, trailer, commercial lawn mowers, lawn mower, mower parts, lawn tractors, engines, edgers, trimmers, pole saws, aerators, hydro seeders, snow plows, chain saws, stump grinders??
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #11  
Old 02-23-2012, 12:02 PM
The Cleaning Doctor's Avatar
The Cleaning Doctor The Cleaning Doctor is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Helena, MT
Posts: 927
Rep Power: 7
The Cleaning Doctor is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpld View Post
off road diesel is the same as home heating oil and it has the dye in it as well as it is not nearly as clean as the diesel fuel plus home heating ol cost about the same so combine that with running dirtier fuel through your machine you are better off running the real diesel fuel.

until i switched my home over to natural gas i only used diesel fuel for my furnace over the conventional home heating oil and as a result i got double the time per tankfull as well as my furnaces efficency was a lot higher and my maintenance was almost eliminated compared to the crap they sell as #2 home heating oil.
That is like comparing apple to oranges. Those are 2 totally different technologies as far as combustion. One requires and ignition source that does not burn as clean (I used to repair boilers) while the other burns more completely because of the sealed chamber and the compression of the fuel air mixture.
__________________
Pat
Reply With Quote

Stop guess-timating. Learn how to estimate and make money! $$$
Mow Time Estimator Lawn Care Price Estimator Mulch and Topsoil Calculator Snow Plow Estimate Calculator


  #12  
Old 02-23-2012, 02:17 PM
dpld dpld is offline
new member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: nj
Posts: 885
Rep Power: 0
dpld is on a distinguished road
Default

Lawn care business tipsLawn Care Business Book
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cleaning Doctor View Post
That is like comparing apple to oranges. Those are 2 totally different technologies as far as combustion. One requires and ignition source that does not burn as clean (I used to repair boilers) while the other burns more completely because of the sealed chamber and the compression of the fuel air mixture.
i was not compareing natural gas to diesel i was comparing diesel fuel to #2 heating oil.

i only reffered to the natural gas because i recently switched over to it when they ran the line down my street and i was speaking of the diesel and #2 heating oil as in past tense as far as heating my home.

as far as the diesel and #2 heating oil or otherwise known as off road diesel the #2 fuel oil is much dirtier and there is obviously a reason for that.
a diesel engine can not run as efficiently off of #2 because of the impurities in it and as a result will cause problems for the diesel engine mainly the injector pump and injectors by running it long term whereas the oil burner furnace can tolerate the impurities but even the oil burner can benefit and run more efficiently off of the diesel fuel.

also the #2 oil has a dye in it that causes a blue smoke to appear in the exaust to tip off law enforcement that you are running the #2 in your vehicle to avoid the road taxes which will result in impounding the vehicle and heavy fines and that dye also causes excessive soot build up in the burner plentum.

Last edited by dpld; 02-23-2012 at 02:31 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 02-23-2012, 03:09 PM
picframer's Avatar
picframer picframer is offline
Andy
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia
Posts: 2,885
Rep Power: 11
picframer will become famous soon enough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpld View Post
i was not compareing natural gas to diesel i was comparing diesel fuel to #2 heating oil.

i only reffered to the natural gas because i recently switched over to it when they ran the line down my street and i was speaking of the diesel and #2 heating oil as in past tense as far as heating my home.

as far as the diesel and #2 heating oil or otherwise known as off road diesel the #2 fuel oil is much dirtier and there is obviously a reason for that.
a diesel engine can not run as efficiently off of #2 because of the impurities in it and as a result will cause problems for the diesel engine mainly the injector pump and injectors by running it long term whereas the oil burner furnace can tolerate the impurities but even the oil burner can benefit and run more efficiently off of the diesel fuel.

also the #2 oil has a dye in it that causes a blue smoke to appear in the exaust to tip off law enforcement that you are running the #2 in your vehicle to avoid the road taxes which will result in impounding the vehicle and heavy fines and that dye also causes excessive soot build up in the burner plentum.
I was confused by this comment as I have since I was a kid interchanged furnace oil with off road diesel for diesel tractors, I was always told they were the same, so I asked a long time friend who owns a fuel depot (Esso), he has been in the business for 36 years, he said they are the same although he did however state that the refining process here in Canada is very different than the USA, it could well be that the furnace oil in your state is not refined as much as it is here.

What got me to thinking about this is I have a diesel generator here at home, installed it I believe in 1996, the fuel for it is supplied from a T off my furnace oil barrel (located outside the house), it does a weekly test so it does see quite a few hours of use over the year, we also tend to loose power at least three times a year, I have run off the generator for a max of 5 days, generally it's less than 24 hours.

The engine is a Yanmar, other than changing the oil and fuel filter once a year, I have never touch it.

Here is an article on the various grades.

http://www.enviroharvest.ca/dieselvsheating.htm
__________________
Andy
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 02-23-2012, 04:13 PM
dpld dpld is offline
new member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: nj
Posts: 885
Rep Power: 0
dpld is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by picframer View Post
I was confused by this comment as I have since I was a kid interchanged furnace oil with off road diesel for diesel tractors, I was always told they were the same, so I asked a long time friend who owns a fuel depot (Esso), he has been in the business for 36 years, he said they are the same although he did however state that the refining process here in Canada is very different than the USA, it could well be that the furnace oil in your state is not refined as much as it is here.

What got me to thinking about this is I have a diesel generator here at home, installed it I believe in 1996, the fuel for it is supplied from a T off my furnace oil barrel (located outside the house), it does a weekly test so it does see quite a few hours of use over the year, we also tend to loose power at least three times a year, I have run off the generator for a max of 5 days, generally it's less than 24 hours.

The engine is a Yanmar, other than changing the oil and fuel filter once a year, I have never touch it.

Here is an article on the various grades.

http://www.enviroharvest.ca/dieselvsheating.htm

well being in the united states and you being in canada i would not have a clue as to what the differences are if any at all.

both fuels are the same with the exception of the dyes and impurities.
pretty much in a nutshell, the #2 oil is the bottom of the barrel and the obvious differences between a diesel engine and a furnace are vast but the furnace is more tolerent of the swill that goes through it then the engine is.

but with that said anytime you have a cleaner grade of fuel it will burn longer and cleaner regardless of how it is used even if it were burned in a can.
for me i was not satisfied with buying the #2 oil because being it had more inert properties in it you were only getting about 75 to 80% real fuel compared to the good grade and as i said i got more bang for the buck by just useing the quality grade.
the easiest way to see the difference is put some diesel and #2 oil in two different clear glass jars and the diesel is golden and translucent and the #2 is dark and merky with all kinds of swill floating around and if you let the #2 settle out you will see all kinds of crud on the bottom.
i have a 200 gal fuel cell in the back of my truck with a pump and nozzle on it so it was easy for me to drive to the station and fill it up and drive home and transfer it into my home heating oil tank.

obviously most people don't have that option and being i did i took advantage of it.
i have a lot of good freinds that are mechanics and two of them are diesel mechanics on big rigs and they concur with my opinion and that solidified my original thoughts.

as far as diesel engines go, they are great motors and do have less parts but at the same time they are very expensive to fix and the heart and sole of the engine is the injector pump as well as the injectors and if they get screwed up your engine will not run properly and just like," we are what we eat " the same holds true for a diesel engine.
my main reason for even getting into this part of the debate was to convey to anyone who chooses to use a diesel equipted peice of equipment and spend that extra money was to spare themselves the trouble of saving a few bucks on cheap fuel because in the long run they will not get the optimum efficiency out of the motor as well as cause themselves some mechanical related issues with the engine that will result in unwanted repairs as well as more fuel filter costs and oil changes.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 02-23-2012, 08:28 PM
B-2 Lawncare B-2 Lawncare is offline
new member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 191
Rep Power: 0
B-2 Lawncare is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegroundscrew View Post
I have a 2005 diesel truck that has a 140 miles on it and it continues to run like a charm. I also have a 2011 diesel that is just bar none the best ditruck out there. I love diesel because they last forever and that is why I only buy diesel trucks. I think all gas trucks should go away and make everything diesel.

But to get to the point. I have heard about diesel engines in mowers and I only know of Grass Hopper having a few diesel but there are no dealers in my area. I wanted to ask you guys a few questions regarding diesels in mowers.

What companies are using diesel mowers?
Is diesel in mowers a good choice (as I'm guessing they will last forever)?
Are they comparable in price of gas mowers?
And in general what are all your thoughts or experience using diesel powered mowers?
1 what I would look at is who is going to take care of you.
2 yes the diesel motors will last longer, but you are still using the same mowing platform as a commercial gas mower.
3 yes they are comparable to gas.
4 we run tractors both gas and diesel, but come winter the gas tractors get parked and the diesel tractor get changed over to snow removal. If all I was going to do was mow I would only buy gas, because of the price.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 02-24-2012, 12:31 AM
The Cleaning Doctor's Avatar
The Cleaning Doctor The Cleaning Doctor is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Helena, MT
Posts: 927
Rep Power: 7
The Cleaning Doctor is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpld View Post
i was not compareing natural gas to diesel i was comparing diesel fuel to #2 heating oil.

Neither was I. I was talking about the combustion in a boiler as compared to a diesel engine.
__________________
Pat
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 02-24-2012, 07:32 AM
dpld dpld is offline
new member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: nj
Posts: 885
Rep Power: 0
dpld is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cleaning Doctor View Post
Neither was I. I was talking about the combustion in a boiler as compared to a diesel engine.
well then, i was not comparing the combustion proccess of either of the two i was talking about the differences on how one fuel burns better and more efficiently then the other as well as the differences of how the dirtier fuel will effect a engine.

a diesel engine has so much compression that it can ignite coal dust in the cylinder chamber but you would not want to run that through your injector pump either.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 02-24-2012, 07:48 AM
musimowing & more inc. musimowing & more inc. is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 2
Rep Power: 5
musimowing & more inc. is on a distinguished road
Default musi mowing & more inc

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegroundscrew View Post
I have a 2005 diesel truck that has a 140 miles on it and it continues to run like a charm. I also have a 2011 diesel that is just bar none the best diesel truck out there. I love diesel because they last forever and that is why I only buy diesel trucks. I think all gas trucks should go away and make everything diesel.

But to get to the point. I have heard about diesel engines in mowers and I only know of Grass Hopper having a few diesel but there are no dealers in my area. I wanted to ask you guys a few questions regarding diesels in mowers.

What companies are using diesel mowers?
Is diesel in mowers a good choice (as I'm guessing they will last forever)?
Are they comparable in price of gas mowers?
And in general what are all your thoughts or experience using diesel powered mowers?
Check out the Walker Super B MBSY - they have a new out front mower with a rear discharge / mulching deck with a YANMAR DIESEL ENGING. Purchased last year and with just over 200 hours on it, still runs like brand new and just sips the fuel.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 02-24-2012, 01:52 PM
thegroundscrew's Avatar
thegroundscrew thegroundscrew is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Bellevue, WA (425) - 15 minutes from Seattle (206, my city's filthy)
Posts: 141
Rep Power: 5
thegroundscrew is on a distinguished road
Default

Great post so far. It appears that their are mixed feelings about diesel powered mowers. I'm still thinking whether I follow through on purchasing a diesel. My uncle runs diesel for his trucks and he actually makes it himself. He can make 60 gallons a batch which takes 24 hours to make. He said it only costs him 70 cents a gallon. I did some research on making your own diesel fuel and this is a machine you can buy for only $1,500. All you need to do is get all the material required and mix it (most importantly get the oil). But i can go around many restaurants in the area and get their oil. I know at the golf course i work at they have 15 gallons of oil a week. Here is what a biodiesel processor looks like http://www.saferwholesale.com/Search...&Submit=Search.

What are all your thoughts on this?
__________________

Curtis Michael
President
The Grounds Crew
(425) 765-2638
www.thegroundscrewllc.com
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 02-24-2012, 02:50 PM
dpld dpld is offline
new member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: nj
Posts: 885
Rep Power: 0
dpld is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegroundscrew View Post
Great post so far. It appears that their are mixed feelings about diesel powered mowers. I'm still thinking whether I follow through on purchasing a diesel. My uncle runs diesel for his trucks and he actually makes it himself. He can make 60 gallons a batch which takes 24 hours to make. He said it only costs him 70 cents a gallon. I did some research on making your own diesel fuel and this is a machine you can buy for only $1,500. All you need to do is get all the material required and mix it (most importantly get the oil). But i can go around many restaurants in the area and get their oil. I know at the golf course i work at they have 15 gallons of oil a week. Here is what a biodiesel processor looks like http://www.saferwholesale.com/Search...&Submit=Search.

What are all your thoughts on this?

a lot of people have jumped on that wagon so getting the used cooking oil may become a little tricky.

and the mower as you buy it will need to be modified slightly for the use of bio-diesel and if purchasing new you might want to see if it will need to be modified as well as if it will affect the warranty.

we have a huge senior development by me that has about 3,000 units and it is so big they have their own bank,church,temple and several resturaunts and the in house maintnence for the grounds has a proccessor for the bio-fuel and they use the stuff exclusively.
it works out well for them because they get 250 gallons of oil a week and they always have plenty but it also serves them well because before they made their own fuel they had to deal with the issue of getting rid of the oil so for them the benefit is two fold.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
BAttery Powered Push Mowers SageDesignLM Truck, Trailer, and Outdoor Power Equipment Discussion, Repairs. 12 04-22-2011 08:04 AM
Is Propane Powered Equipment a Gimmick? BudgetGreenLawns.com Community Assistance 3 11-09-2009 05:33 PM
Gas or diesel? LOUROCK Truck, Trailer, and Outdoor Power Equipment Discussion, Repairs. 14 08-18-2008 12:07 PM
Diesel Grasshopper.... musician/lawnman Truck, Trailer, and Outdoor Power Equipment Discussion, Repairs. 6 04-13-2008 07:11 PM
Propane powered mowers? Steve General Business Discussions 7 10-05-2007 10:27 PM

» Recent Threads
  RatingTitle, Username, & Date Last Post Replies Views
Is it too late?
Cpadgett
05-28-2016 09:10 AM
Today 11:40 AM
by Chilehead
3 68
Whats up??
Cpadgett
05-27-2016 10:57 AM
Yesterday 11:09 PM
by Cpadgett
1 40
Firefighter gone Lawn...
Firehouselawn@hotmail.com
03-10-2016 04:50 PM
05-27-2016 08:17 PM
by J.A.S.LawnService
7 9,691
help with sole...
greenbuds
03-24-2016 12:21 PM
05-27-2016 12:20 PM
by Wolf4dk
3 9,427
To mow weekly or Biweekly
WarriorLandscapingCAN
05-11-2016 04:09 PM
05-26-2016 04:45 PM
by lawngawd7
9 352
Help a Brother Out -...
Hedgemaster
01-23-2012 04:19 PM
05-26-2016 04:34 PM
by Crossett73
91 33,734
Hello from Alabama
pruzilla
05-25-2016 01:20 PM
05-26-2016 08:14 AM
by pruzilla
2 69
Hello from Centreville!
Daveylawns
05-23-2016 09:04 AM
05-24-2016 04:08 PM
by Steve
1 85
Laying new grass, Sod...
WarriorLandscapingCAN
05-23-2016 10:07 AM
05-23-2016 08:41 PM
by Steve
1 73
I need some aeration...
rootytalbot
08-14-2015 12:32 PM
05-23-2016 09:06 AM
by Daveylawns
10 3,794
Prolin
rmccutchan
05-21-2016 04:53 PM
05-21-2016 06:36 PM
by rmccutchan
2 94
Upgraded to a new mower
Stevenor92
05-17-2016 08:17 PM
05-20-2016 07:08 PM
by Stevenor92
8 224
Intro
LaraRahmani
05-18-2016 02:54 PM
05-19-2016 02:43 PM
by Steve
2 123
Best Push Mower You Have...
markty
05-14-2016 03:46 PM
05-18-2016 07:34 PM
by Stevenor92
4 203
New mower!!!!
Stevenor92
05-18-2016 03:46 AM
05-18-2016 06:39 PM
by Stevenor92
2 128
Say Hello !!!
Steve
03-19-2007 11:18 AM
05-18-2016 02:59 PM
by LaraRahmani
1,249 435,095
Stupid idea?
hopolb33
05-13-2016 11:25 AM
05-16-2016 11:22 AM
by Steve
1 173
Planting SKYBOUND CEDARS
FrankieeLawnz
05-13-2016 03:59 PM
05-16-2016 11:21 AM
by Steve
1 157
Edging Fad...
Tree geek
05-10-2016 11:29 PM
05-15-2016 11:12 PM
by Tree geek
2 206
Business Overload
Chilehead
05-06-2016 09:27 PM
05-13-2016 11:15 AM
by Steve
11 418
Hello from great state...
Cel1980
05-11-2016 09:00 AM
05-13-2016 11:07 AM
by Steve
2 180
Did this job free to...
JJand M Lawncare
05-02-2016 02:33 PM
05-11-2016 03:54 PM
by JJand M Lawncare
10 451
How to tell Cust. to...
GeeGood
04-09-2008 09:55 PM
05-09-2016 07:08 PM
by JJand M Lawncare
16 5,543
Echo SRM 230 trouble.
Jack Rabbit
05-08-2016 06:16 PM
05-08-2016 11:22 PM
by Just for Cuts
1 164
Toro ZTR Issues
rsanchez1203
05-06-2016 09:27 PM
05-07-2016 10:26 AM
by Steve
2 190
Correct way to quote a...
WarriorLandscapingCAN
05-02-2016 11:52 AM
05-03-2016 10:59 AM
by Steve
1 309
» Popular Tags
advertising become an entrepreneur best mower be your own boss break business education business help business management contractor hacks deck lift dethatcher edging entrepreneur entrepreneur education estimates free lawn care fuel problems fuel pump half moon blade hydro increase customers jjandm lawncare landscape landscape design landscaping landscaping design company landscaping richmond va landscping lawncare lawn mowing lawnservice lowering grade marketing mulch new business planting plowing raising grade residential lawn care richmond va richmond virginia lawn care roundup safety scag snowblower snow plowing snow shovel solo solo backpack sprayer start a business start a lawn care business start business start up swzt toro timecutter tree tree pics tree service video walk behind what to charge work from home
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.1.0

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:26 PM.


(C) 2011 Riggs Publications - Terms of use & Privacy Policy

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:26 PM.

(C) 2011 Riggs Publications - Terms of use & Privacy Policy