Lawn Care Business Forum Lawn Care Business Book Lawn Care Business Blog Lawn Care Software
Home Forum Contract & Flyer Templates Blog Software Videos Podcast Calculators / Estimators Store Mower Review Design It Yourself Lawn Business School

Go Back   GopherHaul Landscaping & Lawn Care Business Marketing Forum > Business > General Business Discussions

General Business Discussions A place to talk about general business discussions.

Are pre-payments bad?


General Business Discussions

A place to talk about general business discussions.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #11  
Old 01-27-2012, 03:39 AM
USA Lawn Care USA Lawn Care is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 62
Rep Power: 4
USA Lawn Care is on a distinguished road
Default

right now my customers are pre-paid month to month with a few that I mow that pay me when I show up.

dpld....if you don't mind me asking....are your customers paying by check or cc or both? I believe sometime this season, we will be using a cc payment option. Might just be thru paypal....don't know yet. I'm real particular about making choices when it comes to offering this new way of paying (cc), we're checking out different rates, etc. My brother in law (my accountant extraordinaire) suggested maybe collecting for the month on the last Monday of the previous month. It's still a work in progress with decisions that need to be made by the end of Feb.


anyhow....billing clients ahead of time and collecting "as we mow" has probably been the single most important way I have kept my business operating in the black with no debt.
Reply With Quote

Stop guess-timating. Learn how to estimate and make money! $$$
Mow Time Estimator Lawn Care Price Estimator Mulch and Topsoil Calculator Snow Plow Estimate Calculator


  #12  
Old 01-27-2012, 04:35 AM
CHEESE2009's Avatar
CHEESE2009 CHEESE2009 is offline
Dr. Scott - Ruler of the Underworld
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Switzerland, Grindelwald
Age: 73
Posts: 4,475
Rep Power: 10
CHEESE2009 is on a distinguished road
Default

Lawn care business tipsLawn Care Business Book
Have a plan to protect you from clients who cancel service, and request a refund.

Getting money early, means you might spend it. lol. That's the only issue really...

Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 01-27-2012, 05:57 AM
jymie's Avatar
jymie jymie is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Hamburg New York
Posts: 901
Rep Power: 6
jymie is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by USA Lawn Care View Post
right now my customers are pre-paid month to month with a few that I mow that pay me when I show up.

dpld....if you don't mind me asking....are your customers paying by check or cc or both? I believe sometime this season, we will be using a cc payment option. Might just be thru paypal....don't know yet. I'm real particular about making choices when it comes to offering this new way of paying (cc), we're checking out different rates, etc. My brother in law (my accountant extraordinaire) suggested maybe collecting for the month on the last Monday of the previous month. It's still a work in progress with decisions that need to be made by the end of Feb.


anyhow....billing clients ahead of time and collecting "as we mow" has probably been the single most important way I have kept my business operating in the black with no debt.
Check into merchantanywhere.com you can use it through a smart phone and they have a bluetooth reader/printer option also.
Plus, they can set you up for part of the year. Ex. our season around here runs from Mid April - Nov, you only get a monthly fee for the month you operate your business. In Dec you get a yearly fee of $99, and the monthly fee was $24.95 (Apr - Nov), plus any transaction fees. I am also looking into inuit payment processing. They are sending me the reader to see if it will work on my phone.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 01-27-2012, 07:20 AM
TiedemanLLC TiedemanLLC is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 226
Rep Power: 3
TiedemanLLC is on a distinguished road
Default

I think many of you are missing my point with the pre-payments. When I am referring to the pre-payments I am not taking a week or a month in advance, I am talking about an entire year ahead of time, sometimes with me it's years in advance.

Now with the pre-payments will do have a "no refund" clause in our contract. All you can receive is credit towards services (not products).
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 01-27-2012, 07:28 AM
mark123's Avatar
mark123 mark123 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Pennsyltucky
Posts: 1,401
Rep Power: 7
mark123 is on a distinguished road
Default

To me, money is money. In advance, during service or at the end of the month is all the same.

I could see where having someone pay in advance would be a good thing if it locks them in and you can pre-order the products without worrying that they'll cancel. No refund would have to be the rule. The discounts are too steep though. I'd say 6% to save the tax or 10% tops no matter how far in advance they pay. I've not offered discounts for pre-payments but I may for the fertilizer treatments, never for mowing.

Last edited by mark123; 01-27-2012 at 07:31 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 01-27-2012, 07:42 AM
jymie's Avatar
jymie jymie is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Hamburg New York
Posts: 901
Rep Power: 6
jymie is on a distinguished road
Default

I had two customers last season that opted to pay the whole season ahead of time, they are contract customers. I give them the option to pay the whole year at 20% off the weekly rate. It gives me some up front capitol to work with to start the year which is a good thing.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 01-27-2012, 08:25 AM
dpld dpld is offline
new member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: nj
Posts: 885
Rep Power: 0
dpld is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiedemanLLC View Post
I think many of you are missing my point with the pre-payments. When I am referring to the pre-payments I am not taking a week or a month in advance, I am talking about an entire year ahead of time, sometimes with me it's years in advance.

Now with the pre-payments will do have a "no refund" clause in our contract. All you can receive is credit towards services (not products).


i think beyond that everyone is not looking at the whole picture here.

for me the money i discounted represented a larger savings in the end because i offered a full service such as lawn mowing, shrub trimming, lawn treatments and mulch, etc, etc.
at one point we had 75% of 120 accounts giving me pre payment for the entire year.
well, come febuary i would have 3/4 of my revenue in my hand before i even started to work and with that money i would go to my supplier for lawn chemicals and fertilizer and i would buy and pay for every drop and granular of product i would need for the entire year.
that alone would save me 30% off that cost.
then i would go to my mulch supplier and and on average i was useing 1,200 cubic yards of mulch each year and i would pre pay in febuary for the whole year and i was getting mulch that guys were paying $18.00 per yard for $10.00 per yard.
do the math on that one, not to mention when my supplier seen me pulling in every febuary he knew it was pay day and he loved getting paid up front for that much mulch at a time of year when he was selling nothing.
not to mention when my truck pulls in to the yard to pick up, he dropped what he was doing and immediately loaded me up and i would by-pass the long line of guys waiting to get loaded which also saved me time.
guys used to get pissed and complain and his answer would be " money talks and bull**** walks " and i will do the same for you if you come here every febuary and pay me upfront for the season.

at my yard me and one of my former employee who started his own business bought a 2,000 gallon fuel cell and we even would buy our fuel in bulk.

i never had to sweat payroll and had my payroll in the bank for the whole year collecting intrest before i even had to pay out one dime in payroll.

my point is you have to think outside the box and not veiw everything with a tunnel vision and take advantage of everything you can to capitalize on it and it was a two way street for savings for me and the customer.
i would have substanial savings and i passed it down to the customer and rewarded them for pre payment and the 25% of the accounts that did not pre-pay were on the auto-pay and that saved me the trouble of having to send bills out and wait for the remainder of my money.

it is a win win for everyone.

Last edited by dpld; 01-27-2012 at 08:31 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 01-27-2012, 08:38 AM
dpld dpld is offline
new member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: nj
Posts: 885
Rep Power: 0
dpld is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by USA Lawn Care View Post
right now my customers are pre-paid month to month with a few that I mow that pay me when I show up.

dpld....if you don't mind me asking....are your customers paying by check or cc or both? I believe sometime this season, we will be using a cc payment option. Might just be thru paypal....don't know yet. I'm real particular about making choices when it comes to offering this new way of paying (cc), we're checking out different rates, etc. My brother in law (my accountant extraordinaire) suggested maybe collecting for the month on the last Monday of the previous month. It's still a work in progress with decisions that need to be made by the end of Feb.


anyhow....billing clients ahead of time and collecting "as we mow" has probably been the single most important way I have kept my business operating in the black with no debt.

they do both and the people who do auto-pay use their cards because they have to have a card on file in order to do the auto-pay.

but as i mentioned in earlier posts all i do is commercial now and i bill ahead of the services so to some degree it works out as the same with some slight variations but with the commercial work the dollar amount is much greater as well as most corp's don't use credit cards to pay for expenses that large.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 01-27-2012, 08:47 AM
TiedemanLLC TiedemanLLC is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 226
Rep Power: 3
TiedemanLLC is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpld View Post
i think beyond that everyone is not looking at the whole picture here.

for me the money i discounted represented a larger savings in the end because i offered a full service such as lawn mowing, shrub trimming, lawn treatments and mulch, etc, etc.
at one point we had 75% of 120 accounts giving me pre payment for the entire year.
well, come febuary i would have 3/4 of my revenue in my hand before i even started to work and with that money i would go to my supplier for lawn chemicals and fertilizer and i would buy and pay for every drop and granular of product i would need for the entire year.
that alone would save me 30% off that cost.
then i would go to my mulch supplier and and on average i was useing 1,200 cubic yards of mulch each year and i would pre pay in febuary for the whole year and i was getting mulch that guys were paying $18.00 per yard for $10.00 per yard.
do the math on that one, not to mention when my supplier seen me pulling in every febuary he knew it was pay day and he loved getting paid up front for that much mulch at a time of year when he was selling nothing.
not to mention when my truck pulls in to the yard to pick up, he dropped what he was doing and immediately loaded me up and i would by-pass the long line of guys waiting to get loaded which also saved me time.
guys used to get pissed and complain and his answer would be " money talks and bull**** walks " and i will do the same for you if you come here every febuary and pay me upfront for the season.

at my yard me and one of my former employee who started his own business bought a 2,000 gallon fuel cell and we even would buy our fuel in bulk.

i never had to sweat payroll and had my payroll in the bank for the whole year collecting intrest before i even had to pay out one dime in payroll.

my point is you have to think outside the box and not veiw everything with a tunnel vision and take advantage of everything you can to capitalize on it and it was a two way street for savings for me and the customer.
i would have substanial savings and i passed it down to the customer and rewarded them for pre payment and the 25% of the accounts that did not pre-pay were on the auto-pay and that saved me the trouble of having to send bills out and wait for the remainder of my money.

it is a win win for everyone.
good points
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 01-27-2012, 04:06 PM
Steve's Avatar
Steve Steve is online now
Administrator
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 36,207
Rep Power: 10
Steve has disabled reputation
Default

Quote:
I was waiting for someone to finally ask this question, thank you. Even though you are getting 3 years of cash pumped into your system is that three years worth of cash actually good for the long haul. It may be a short term gain, but does it actually hurt you?
What % of your total net income from a customer is profit? This needs to be known first before you can take the next step to figure if it is worthwhile offering such discounts.

Then you gotta try and figure if you are getting any discounts from your suppliers to buy in bulk.

And then you also have to account for what % of your customers pay on time and how much time you spend tracking down late payers or how much you lose from non-payment.

When I would see discussions on 10% discount for prepay of a full year I would kind of cringe because we see how crazy some of our members get at using credit cards to accept payment. That is what 3% of the sale? Now how about dealing with 10% of the sale?

At 25% yikes!

Could you get better results by billing each month ahead of time?

To figure this out, I would play with some figures on two fictitious customers and see what the results are to service. Have each customer projected out over 3 years where one prepays with a discount and another doesn't prepay.
__________________
- Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Contracts and Payments Liberty Landscaping LLC General Business Discussions 3 04-01-2011 09:31 AM
Dealing with payments?!?!?! Fresh Cut General Talk 16 10-04-2009 10:22 PM
recurring payments All Aspects Landscaping General Business Discussions 14 03-14-2008 05:46 PM
How to make payments Gopher Software Support Archived Question & Answers - Read Only 5 07-06-2006 05:44 AM
Payments off of Statements Gopher Software Support Archived Question & Answers - Read Only 1 07-20-2005 05:43 PM

» Recent Threads
  RatingTitle, Username, & Date Last Post Replies Views
Formulas Used
BaileynSamsMum
Today 06:40 AM
Today 02:52 PM
by BaileynSamsMum
2 42
Will summer ever come
ExtremeLawncareServices
Today 08:27 AM
Today 02:32 PM
by Steve
1 28
From Concord NC
SouthernRootsLawnCare
07-26-2014 02:34 PM
Today 02:28 PM
by Steve
3 74
Have you ever had to...
SouthernRootsLawnCare
07-26-2014 02:41 PM
Today 02:28 PM
by Steve
4 133
Echo Edger 'Neutral'
WesleySnips
07-25-2014 05:28 PM
Today 02:25 PM
by Steve
4 124
Building credit
Matther777
07-27-2014 05:20 PM
Today 02:20 PM
by Steve
7 134
Need input on a bid
phlawncare
Yesterday 08:51 PM
Today 02:17 PM
by Steve
1 54
Spreading Weeds?
WesleySnips
07-27-2014 09:46 PM
Today 02:11 PM
by Steve
4 103
Single tree, mow customer
WesleySnips
06-27-2014 10:12 AM
Today 06:47 AM
by WesleySnips
15 645
New from Texas
Livingston Lawn Care
07-25-2014 11:17 AM
Yesterday 01:29 PM
by Steve
3 138
Left handed edging with...
SGL1
07-23-2014 08:59 PM
Yesterday 07:39 AM
by SGL1
15 335
Echo PE 266 edger
stevef1201
07-01-2014 01:28 PM
07-27-2014 10:14 PM
by WesleySnips
5 343
These are the days on...
ExtremeLawncareServices
03-22-2014 09:12 AM
07-27-2014 01:21 PM
by ExtremeLawncareServices
80 4,662
Texas lawn care company...
Livingston Lawn Care
07-25-2014 11:29 AM
07-27-2014 08:16 AM
by Just for Cuts
7 191
need some help geting...
dalvan0
07-13-2014 09:28 PM
07-26-2014 04:39 PM
by BLC7
7 332
new trailer help
mattthelawnguy
07-11-2014 08:21 PM
07-25-2014 06:31 PM
by mattthelawnguy
13 510
You know it;s gonna be a...
stevef1201
07-25-2014 08:50 AM
07-25-2014 01:34 PM
by Steve
1 99
Customer letters
kslawn
07-23-2014 06:17 AM
07-25-2014 01:20 PM
by Steve
5 215
Got my first lawn job...
SGL1
06-11-2014 09:19 PM
07-24-2014 07:09 PM
by SGL1
29 1,287
Need help determining...
Jbss861
07-20-2014 02:33 PM
07-24-2014 01:11 PM
by Steve
13 398
Should I ?
googus
07-22-2014 04:06 PM
07-24-2014 12:10 PM
by Steve
4 230
My First Apartment...
SSLCtn
05-26-2014 10:17 PM
07-24-2014 06:46 AM
by kslawn
15 925
Crop Rotation Techniques...
eastsidelandcare
07-17-2014 03:47 PM
07-24-2014 06:38 AM
by kslawn
3 228
Selling lawns like...
eastsidelandcare
07-17-2014 03:51 PM
07-24-2014 06:28 AM
by kslawn
3 279
Scag new "Eliminator"......
ExtremeLawncareServices
07-20-2014 10:45 AM
07-23-2014 05:37 PM
by Just for Cuts
9 321
need professional advice...
Fiddlers_green
07-20-2014 07:21 PM
07-23-2014 12:42 PM
by Steve
3 223
new to me box truck
jrayb39667
03-06-2014 10:20 PM
07-23-2014 12:40 PM
by Steve
15 1,436
Lawn Service back in...
LawnCareMan280
07-18-2014 09:00 PM
07-23-2014 11:48 AM
by Steve
4 256
Overspray?
stevef1201
07-21-2014 04:20 PM
07-23-2014 11:39 AM
by Steve
3 166
Hello Everyone! Newbie...
SLKlawn
07-17-2014 06:22 PM
07-22-2014 01:53 PM
by Steve
6 299
Proper height for lawn
rob lederhilger
05-26-2014 08:01 AM
07-21-2014 02:53 PM
by LawnDoctor
9 680
Blade sharpener
Just for Cuts
07-04-2014 12:31 PM
07-21-2014 01:48 PM
by Steve
9 534
What's my business worth?
Chaz
07-16-2014 01:35 PM
07-21-2014 01:45 PM
by Steve
4 313
1.5 Acre Jungle
WesleySnips
07-15-2014 05:57 PM
07-20-2014 11:31 AM
by ExtremeLawncareServices
21 642
Gopher schedule software
Ray
07-18-2014 04:13 PM
07-18-2014 04:13 PM
by Ray
0 208
2006 Chevy fuel pump...
KevinsLawns
07-17-2014 08:39 PM
07-18-2014 11:51 AM
by Steve
1 196
Halfway point of year!
Steve
07-01-2014 12:08 PM
07-18-2014 11:38 AM
by Steve
14 763
I got told to leave and...
gwilson98
06-16-2014 02:07 PM
07-17-2014 11:43 AM
by Steve
16 1,076
Hey guys this is the...
prmenter@gmail.com
07-07-2014 08:23 PM
07-16-2014 08:10 PM
by ExtremeLawncareServices
28 806
Mowing the hills
prmenter@gmail.com
07-08-2014 12:22 PM
07-16-2014 05:00 PM
by Just for Cuts
18 731
Say Hello !!!
Steve
03-19-2007 11:18 AM
07-15-2014 05:38 PM
by icon2000
1,184 320,870
Classified Ad Template...
bcfb
06-05-2013 02:40 AM
07-15-2014 11:16 AM
by Steve
15 3,755
Husqvarna pz 60
CDLAWNCARE
07-06-2014 06:50 PM
07-15-2014 08:53 AM
by kslawn
10 475
Lowballers
Chaz
07-11-2014 03:55 PM
07-14-2014 12:27 PM
by Steve
5 387
My new side job
Sprinkler Buddy
05-10-2014 05:23 AM
07-14-2014 12:15 PM
by Steve
10 847
Illegal spraying
GoGreenerKS
07-04-2014 09:11 AM
07-13-2014 10:36 PM
by GoGreenerKS
10 585
New Mower and Trailer
Chaz
06-25-2014 12:04 PM
07-13-2014 06:25 PM
by SGL1
7 597
What Fertilizer to Use?
acrajchel
04-07-2014 01:56 PM
07-12-2014 07:36 PM
by SGL1
21 1,930
Fuel and fuel additives
SGL1
07-06-2014 10:23 AM
07-11-2014 07:53 PM
by SGL1
15 588
Questions for a patchy...
jumcgee
07-09-2014 08:42 AM
07-11-2014 12:34 PM
by Steve
1 241
» Popular Tags
care charge christmas lighting christmas light service collections subcontractor courtesy call credit card processing customers decorating ecosymbiosis escrow exmark ferris four wheel drive fundraiser gopherhaul grass gravely gravely 34" zero turn hills holiday honda how much to charge how to bid hydraulic kawasaki lawn lawn care business lawn care business seo lawn care business show lawn care business website lawn care business website seo lawn care website lawn service leaf removal managing a lawn care business marketing mulch estimate native plants new buisness new mower office management online classifieds outdoor environments podcast push versus ride redmax reo rotating scag scag v-ride search engine optimization season seo snow sprayer starting a business starting a lawn care business steve stihl subcontractor tips toro tractor auger trailer mate pro turfgrass consulting walker winter money making ideas wright stander rh zero turn
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.1.0

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:49 PM.


(C) 2011 Riggs Publications - Terms of use & Privacy Policy

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:49 PM.

(C) 2011 Riggs Publications - Terms of use & Privacy Policy