Lawn Care Business Forum Lawn Care Business Book Lawn Care Business Blog Lawn Care Software
Home Forum Contract & Flyer Templates Blog Software Videos Podcast Calculators / Estimators Store Mower Review Design It Yourself Lawn Business School

Go Back   GopherHaul Landscaping & Lawn Care Business Marketing Forum > Lawn Care, Landscaping, and Property Management Forums > Online Lawn Care Estimator - Help me bid this job

Online Lawn Care Estimator - Help me bid this job
If you need help coming up with a bid for a lawn care, landscaping, tree cutting or irrigation job, post the specifics here and pictures of the job site. If you are looking to learn about bidding, review the jobs posted here.

Wood Chipper


Online Lawn Care Estimator - Help me bid this job

If you need help coming up with a bid for a lawn care, landscaping, tree cutting or irrigation job, post the specifics here and pictures of the job site. If you are looking to learn about bidding, review the jobs posted here.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 01-17-2012, 07:25 AM
Shark1611 Shark1611 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Texas Hill Country
Posts: 374
Rep Power: 6
Shark1611 is on a distinguished road
Default Wood Chipper

Have any of you had to bid on a large job where you need to use a wood chipper? I will have to rent a large one and the price is $700.00 a day. The property has large piles of tree limbs and brush. The owner is okay with me mulching the stuff up and spreading it out on the lot.

Man I have no clue as to how to price this out?
Reply With Quote

Stop guess-timating. Learn how to estimate and make money! $$$
Mow Time Estimator Lawn Care Price Estimator Mulch and Topsoil Calculator Snow Plow Estimate Calculator


  #2  
Old 01-17-2012, 08:50 AM
dpld dpld is offline
new member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: nj
Posts: 885
Rep Power: 0
dpld is on a distinguished road
Default

Lawn care business tipsLawn Care Business Book
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark1611 View Post
Have any of you had to bid on a large job where you need to use a wood chipper? I will have to rent a large one and the price is $700.00 a day. The property has large piles of tree limbs and brush. The owner is okay with me mulching the stuff up and spreading it out on the lot.

Man I have no clue as to how to price this out?

what size machine is it for rent?

is it a chipper or a tub grinder?

are you doing all the labor or does the chipper rental include the labor?

if you are just renting a chipper and doing all the work 700.00 per day seems way too high.
i can rent a 12" self feeding disc chipper for about 275.00 per day and 1,000.00 per week.

these types of jobs are very decieving and always end up being 3 x's harder then you initially thought regardless of how much experience you have and always take more time to do.

you also have to carefull if it is a rental to not let dirt and foreign debris to go through the machine or they will hit you up for a blade replacement fee and jobs like these usually have a good portion of the material on the bottom of the piles covered in dirt.

i obviously am only going by what you gave me but if it is a large job you also might want to go with doulble the help on the first day to give it a big hit and if and when you see that it is a nightmare you will at least have the man power to knock the snot out of it.

hope that helps, good luck.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-17-2012, 12:44 PM
picframer's Avatar
picframer picframer is offline
Andy
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia
Posts: 2,885
Rep Power: 11
picframer will become famous soon enough
Default

Sounds like a weekly rate to me, here is our rates however we have 8" Bearcat Chippers

Chipper and one staff $75.00 an hour, min 2 hours + $65.00 transportation fee, one time charge

Additional staff member $35.00 hour

Staff with Chainsaw $45.00 hour

Excavator to feed chippers $75.00 hour, min 4 hours plus $65.00 transportation

Max distance from home base, 1 hour drive/ 45 miles
__________________
Andy
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-17-2012, 07:25 PM
Ducke's Avatar
Ducke Ducke is offline
new member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: The Duck Pond
Posts: 844
Rep Power: 0
Ducke is on a distinguished road
Default

$700.00 a day rental ???
What size is the chipper ??? and have you shopped the rental around.
How big are the branches ???
Home Depot has good rental rates and a verity of equipment.
A Chipper Shredder that take branches up to 5" tow behind is $112.00 a day here.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-18-2012, 04:57 AM
picframer's Avatar
picframer picframer is offline
Andy
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia
Posts: 2,885
Rep Power: 11
picframer will become famous soon enough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducke View Post
$700.00 a day rental ???
What size is the chipper ??? and have you shopped the rental around.
How big are the branches ???
Home Depot has good rental rates and a verity of equipment.
A Chipper Shredder that take branches up to 5" tow behind is $112.00 a day here.
You and your staff will kill your arms with this unit, you need mechanical or power feed units, gravity simply doesn't work well, the second the blades start to dull you have to start pushing the branches into the flywheel, the vibration on your hands and arms will put them to sleep in no time.

United Rentals has 6, 8 & 9" as we have had to rent when our two were going full out, only issue I found renting is the quality of the sharpness of blades.
__________________
Andy
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-24-2012, 08:02 PM
Shark1611 Shark1611 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Texas Hill Country
Posts: 374
Rep Power: 6
Shark1611 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpld View Post
what size machine is it for rent?

is it a chipper or a tub grinder?

are you doing all the labor or does the chipper rental include the labor?

if you are just renting a chipper and doing all the work 700.00 per day seems way too high.
i can rent a 12" self feeding disc chipper for about 275.00 per day and 1,000.00 per week.

these types of jobs are very decieving and always end up being 3 x's harder then you initially thought regardless of how much experience you have and always take more time to do.

you also have to carefull if it is a rental to not let dirt and foreign debris to go through the machine or they will hit you up for a blade replacement fee and jobs like these usually have a good portion of the material on the bottom of the piles covered in dirt.

i obviously am only going by what you gave me but if it is a large job you also might want to go with doulble the help on the first day to give it a big hit and if and when you see that it is a nightmare you will at least have the man power to knock the snot out of it.

hope that helps, good luck.
it is a chipper and I got my price RGS rentals. I have never used one so I have no clue to how fast it will feed so maybe in this case i just tell the customer the rental fee plus per hour.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-25-2012, 01:55 PM
Steve's Avatar
Steve Steve is online now
Administrator
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 37,948
Rep Power: 10
Steve has disabled reputation
Default

Quote:
maybe in this case i just tell the customer the rental fee plus per hour.
Would it be better to just give them one price per hour and not let them know the hourly rental rate for the equipment?
__________________
- Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-26-2012, 07:50 AM
Shark1611 Shark1611 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Texas Hill Country
Posts: 374
Rep Power: 6
Shark1611 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Would it be better to just give them one price per hour and not let them know the hourly rental rate for the equipment?
Now that's a good idea. Would make simple.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-26-2012, 08:37 AM
wandfsmall wandfsmall is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 925
Rep Power: 6
wandfsmall is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark1611 View Post
Now that's a good idea. Would make simple.
When I was high school and college I would always be looking for work. Not only did I cut grass but I also worked for a tree trimmer for 2 years.(I grew up in a outdoor power equipment store those are the guys I talked to most were tree trimmers and commercial cutters) The guy I worked for had an equipment fee that he told customers was what it cost to operate the equipment while on site then an hourly fee when we could not aquatically bid a job on cleanups.
__________________
I am the owner of www.AllOutdoorParts.com an online mower parts distributor. I am also a Briggs Master Service Technician and Expert Certified Mechanic for Kohler. If my posts helps you please like my facebook page at www.facebook.com/alloutdoorparts
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 09-18-2013, 04:35 PM
Shark1611 Shark1611 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Texas Hill Country
Posts: 374
Rep Power: 6
Shark1611 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by picframer View Post
Sounds like a weekly rate to me, here is our rates however we have 8" Bearcat Chippers

Chipper and one staff $75.00 an hour, min 2 hours + $65.00 transportation fee, one time charge

Additional staff member $35.00 hour

Staff with Chainsaw $45.00 hour

Excavator to feed chippers $75.00 hour, min 4 hours plus $65.00 transportation

Max distance from home base, 1 hour drive/ 45 miles
Thank you this has been VERY helpful. The customer still has the large brush on his property and is ready for me to bid on it. We do a great deal of trimming during the winter and I so tired of handling all the brush to the dump site. I am looking at a 8" Bearcat CH8720. Is this the one you use and would you recommend it? The price is $14,695.00 and was going to pay cash for it. I am afraid to go buy a used one because I feel this type of equipment is abused.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wood Cutting & Splitting Attachment SECTLANDSCAPING Truck, Trailer, and Outdoor Power Equipment Discussion, Repairs. 6 01-16-2012 02:02 PM
Chipper Shredder vs Chipper Vac - or will I need both? Hedgemaster Truck, Trailer, and Outdoor Power Equipment Discussion, Repairs. 27 09-18-2010 07:56 PM
Wood Restoration The Cleaning Doctor General Talk 3 05-23-2010 07:04 PM
wood signs makbootzy Show Off - Picture Post - Photo Gallery 9 04-01-2008 11:55 AM
Fire Wood Signs AMW Graphics Truck & Trailer Sign Design, silk screened apparel & uniform discussion 1 11-29-2007 01:58 PM

» Recent Threads
  RatingTitle, Username, & Date Last Post Replies Views
Is it too late?
Cpadgett
05-28-2016 09:10 AM
Yesterday 10:32 PM
by Cpadgett
4 83
Whats up??
Cpadgett
05-27-2016 10:57 AM
05-29-2016 11:09 PM
by Cpadgett
1 44
Firefighter gone Lawn...
Firehouselawn@hotmail.com
03-10-2016 04:50 PM
05-27-2016 08:17 PM
by J.A.S.LawnService
7 9,700
help with sole...
greenbuds
03-24-2016 12:21 PM
05-27-2016 12:20 PM
by Wolf4dk
3 9,429
To mow weekly or Biweekly
WarriorLandscapingCAN
05-11-2016 04:09 PM
05-26-2016 04:45 PM
by lawngawd7
9 358
Help a Brother Out -...
Hedgemaster
01-23-2012 04:19 PM
05-26-2016 04:34 PM
by Crossett73
91 33,744
Hello from Alabama
pruzilla
05-25-2016 01:20 PM
05-26-2016 08:14 AM
by pruzilla
2 69
Hello from Centreville!
Daveylawns
05-23-2016 09:04 AM
05-24-2016 04:08 PM
by Steve
1 86
Laying new grass, Sod...
WarriorLandscapingCAN
05-23-2016 10:07 AM
05-23-2016 08:41 PM
by Steve
1 77
I need some aeration...
rootytalbot
08-14-2015 12:32 PM
05-23-2016 09:06 AM
by Daveylawns
10 3,796
Prolin
rmccutchan
05-21-2016 04:53 PM
05-21-2016 06:36 PM
by rmccutchan
2 95
Upgraded to a new mower
Stevenor92
05-17-2016 08:17 PM
05-20-2016 07:08 PM
by Stevenor92
8 228
Intro
LaraRahmani
05-18-2016 02:54 PM
05-19-2016 02:43 PM
by Steve
2 127
Best Push Mower You Have...
markty
05-14-2016 03:46 PM
05-18-2016 07:34 PM
by Stevenor92
4 205
New mower!!!!
Stevenor92
05-18-2016 03:46 AM
05-18-2016 06:39 PM
by Stevenor92
2 129
Say Hello !!!
Steve
03-19-2007 11:18 AM
05-18-2016 02:59 PM
by LaraRahmani
1,249 435,169
Stupid idea?
hopolb33
05-13-2016 11:25 AM
05-16-2016 11:22 AM
by Steve
1 175
Planting SKYBOUND CEDARS
FrankieeLawnz
05-13-2016 03:59 PM
05-16-2016 11:21 AM
by Steve
1 160
Edging Fad...
Tree geek
05-10-2016 11:29 PM
05-15-2016 11:12 PM
by Tree geek
2 209
Business Overload
Chilehead
05-06-2016 09:27 PM
05-13-2016 11:15 AM
by Steve
11 419
Hello from great state...
Cel1980
05-11-2016 09:00 AM
05-13-2016 11:07 AM
by Steve
2 181
Did this job free to...
JJand M Lawncare
05-02-2016 02:33 PM
05-11-2016 03:54 PM
by JJand M Lawncare
10 457
How to tell Cust. to...
GeeGood
04-09-2008 09:55 PM
05-09-2016 07:08 PM
by JJand M Lawncare
16 5,548
Echo SRM 230 trouble.
Jack Rabbit
05-08-2016 06:16 PM
05-08-2016 11:22 PM
by Just for Cuts
1 168
Toro ZTR Issues
rsanchez1203
05-06-2016 09:27 PM
05-07-2016 10:26 AM
by Steve
2 191
Correct way to quote a...
WarriorLandscapingCAN
05-02-2016 11:52 AM
05-03-2016 10:59 AM
by Steve
1 315
» Popular Tags
advertising become an entrepreneur best mower be your own boss break business education business help business management contractor hacks deck lift dethatcher edging entrepreneur entrepreneur education estimates free lawn care fuel problems fuel pump half moon blade hydro increase customers jjandm lawncare landscape landscape design landscaping landscaping design company landscaping richmond va landscping lawncare lawn mowing lawnservice lowering grade marketing mulch new business planting plowing raising grade residential lawn care richmond va richmond virginia lawn care roundup safety scag snowblower snow plowing snow shovel solo solo backpack sprayer start a business start a lawn care business start business start up swzt toro timecutter tree tree pics tree service video walk behind what to charge work from home
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.1.0

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:11 AM.


(C) 2011 Riggs Publications - Terms of use & Privacy Policy

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:11 AM.

(C) 2011 Riggs Publications - Terms of use & Privacy Policy