Lawn Care Business Forum Lawn Care Business Book Lawn Care Business Blog Lawn Care Software
Home Forum Contract & Flyer Templates Blog Software Videos Podcast Calculators / Estimators Store Mower Review Design It Yourself Lawn Business School

Go Back   GopherHaul Landscaping & Lawn Care Business Marketing Forum > Lawn Care, Landscaping, and Property Management Forums > General Talk

General Talk If it doesn't fit anywhere else, post it here.

I hate Subs


General Talk

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, post it here.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #11  
Old 01-19-2012, 03:02 PM
SECTLANDSCAPING SECTLANDSCAPING is offline
new member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: CT
Posts: 1,912
Rep Power: 0
SECTLANDSCAPING is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
What is your view on why they are so difficult to deal with? Also, can you tell ahead of time when you hire them if they are going to be problematic?
I havent figured it out yet. I see it like this though if there a guy with a plow there more likely to have a bad work ethic then another business. Another business might put there customers first though.

I talked to 5 subs with hopes of taking on 2. I did rule out one with just a conversation. He never did lots, didnt have a sander, and was the cheapest. The one I'm leaning towards is the most expensive but sounds like the most reliable. There a excavating company that have experience with large lots. I hinted that we could potentially use them for other projects.

I also looked at 3 trucks but didnt like any of them. There overpriced and wont last long. It seems like a waste to me.
Reply With Quote

Stop guess-timating. Learn how to estimate and make money! $$$
Mow Time Estimator Lawn Care Price Estimator Mulch and Topsoil Calculator Snow Plow Estimate Calculator


  #12  
Old 01-19-2012, 06:43 PM
TiedemanLLC TiedemanLLC is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 226
Rep Power: 5
TiedemanLLC is on a distinguished road
Default

Lawn care business tipsLawn Care Business Book
Quote:
Originally Posted by SECTLANDSCAPING View Post
I havent figured it out yet. I see it like this though if there a guy with a plow there more likely to have a bad work ethic then another business. Another business might put there customers first though.

I talked to 5 subs with hopes of taking on 2. I did rule out one with just a conversation. He never did lots, didnt have a sander, and was the cheapest. The one I'm leaning towards is the most expensive but sounds like the most reliable. There a excavating company that have experience with large lots. I hinted that we could potentially use them for other projects.

I also looked at 3 trucks but didnt like any of them. There overpriced and wont last long. It seems like a waste to me.
I do agree that most of my problems come from when they put their clients before mine. Another big thing is that they think I won't be looking at their work on the jobsite, so they cut corners. The worst is when they make promises of when they are going to be there, I then tell my clients the approximate time, and then they never show up.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 01-20-2012, 02:31 PM
Steve's Avatar
Steve Steve is online now
Administrator
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 38,067
Rep Power: 10
Steve has disabled reputation
Default

Quote:
I do agree that most of my problems come from when they put their clients before mine.
With such situations, would it be possible to pay less if the job is not completed by a certain time? Or no?
__________________
- Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 01-20-2012, 04:02 PM
TiedemanLLC TiedemanLLC is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 226
Rep Power: 5
TiedemanLLC is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
With such situations, would it be possible to pay less if the job is not completed by a certain time? Or no?
It may come back and back fire. They may decide that it's not worth the chance.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 01-20-2012, 06:17 PM
SECTLANDSCAPING SECTLANDSCAPING is offline
new member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: CT
Posts: 1,912
Rep Power: 0
SECTLANDSCAPING is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiedemanLLC View Post
It may come back and back fire. They may decide that it's not worth the chance.
I had a guy that was in the area and said he would clear a lot for me. From 4 a.m till 8 a.m he played games. After giving up on the guy I finally was able to make it there at 9:30 and the client was pissed. I ended up losing a contract with them and this one is close to being gone.

I had 6 people fill out applications. Talked to them all asking if they would be ready tonight. They all told me yes. Then when I started calling not one would pick up the phone. I was already short staffed and a truck went down. I was scrambling to find help. Finally a guy from Rhode Island showed up at 5 am. I couldve sent him to the above location but the other guy said he was 5 minutes away. Then time went by and I went up myself to find the lot was untouched.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 01-20-2012, 07:55 PM
TiedemanLLC TiedemanLLC is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 226
Rep Power: 5
TiedemanLLC is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SECTLANDSCAPING View Post
I had a guy that was in the area and said he would clear a lot for me. From 4 a.m till 8 a.m he played games. After giving up on the guy I finally was able to make it there at 9:30 and the client was pissed. I ended up losing a contract with them and this one is close to being gone.

I had 6 people fill out applications. Talked to them all asking if they would be ready tonight. They all told me yes. Then when I started calling not one would pick up the phone. I was already short staffed and a truck went down. I was scrambling to find help. Finally a guy from Rhode Island showed up at 5 am. I couldve sent him to the above location but the other guy said he was 5 minutes away. Then time went by and I went up myself to find the lot was untouched.
I feel your pain. The last two years have been horrible with me and subs. With plowing I have used six subs in the last five years on one property alone. It's a doctors office that opens up at 5am so it needs to be done. Seriously, how hard is it to have the snow removed before 4am?

The other subs that I always go through are irrigation companies. The worst is when they tell me when they are going to be there, so I have to go over to shut off the security system, but then they never show up. No phone call, no answering their phone, nothing.

This year we are really pulling everything back in house though. This may be our last year using subs.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 01-21-2012, 10:15 PM
SECTLANDSCAPING SECTLANDSCAPING is offline
new member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: CT
Posts: 1,912
Rep Power: 0
SECTLANDSCAPING is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiedemanLLC View Post

This year we are really pulling everything back in house though. This may be our last year using subs.
Thats what I was trying to do but I didnt have any luck finding a new truck. In a way its cheaper short term to hire a subcontractor. I paid one sub for two storms almost what I spent on repairs for one truck in a week.

It can even happen with a employee. Today one of my better guys walked off the job because I wouldnt do something his way. Some people have nerve.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 01-22-2012, 09:32 AM
TiedemanLLC TiedemanLLC is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 226
Rep Power: 5
TiedemanLLC is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SECTLANDSCAPING View Post
Thats what I was trying to do but I didnt have any luck finding a new truck. In a way its cheaper short term to hire a subcontractor. I paid one sub for two storms almost what I spent on repairs for one truck in a week.

It can even happen with a employee. Today one of my better guys walked off the job because I wouldnt do something his way. Some people have nerve.
I know what you mean about using subs. The cost is just so much better. But lately with the lack of control, and the lack of quality we are going to pull it in. We realize that the up front cost to get everything back in house will be large, but in the long term it will be better for us. It's almost like starting all over again.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 01-22-2012, 11:48 AM
dpld dpld is offline
new member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: nj
Posts: 885
Rep Power: 0
dpld is on a distinguished road
Default

i mentioned in earlier posts in other threads that i know this dude who has a multi million dollar snow business. 95% of his properties is done by subs.

he hires subs to do each individual task and he has it broken into routes and has owner drivers with trucks, owner operators with machines and he even has seperate crews subbed out for the walks.

he also hires them based on his needs where as if the route is pretty set with "A" subs then he would build a "B" list of secondary subs for no shows and break downs as well as if it is a long snow event and guys need to take breaks.

i know you may be reading this saying " what does this have to do with a little guy like me that just needs a guy or two for extra help ", but my point is everyone that works for him signs a contract and unless all the paperwork is in place you will not work and he will use someone else.

the snow shovel routes are set in stone and the pay varies based on the depth of snow and the drivers and operators get varying rates based on plow size and machine size as well as if they have their own workers comp insurance or if they don't he takes a cut to include you on his coverage.

he has a very nice system in place and the contracts he uses cover all the bases and can be used for any business size big or small.
he also works out of three states NJ,NY and PA so his contracts take into consideration the different and various labor laws and such.

i used to work for him years ago when i had a truck i wanted to keep moving and i have a copy of his full sub contractor agreement so if i can figure out how to scan it and get it into the talking picture box i will post it up for all to use.
and if i can not figure it out i'll mail it to you if you like.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 01-23-2012, 12:10 PM
Steve's Avatar
Steve Steve is online now
Administrator
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 38,067
Rep Power: 10
Steve has disabled reputation
Default

Quote:
i have a copy of his full sub contractor agreement so if i can figure out how to scan it and get it into the talking picture box i will post it up for all to use.
That would be great to see and I am sure it would be helpful. If you can, either scan it or take a picture of it and attach it. Thanks!
__________________
- Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
snow plow contract, sub contractor, sub-contractor

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Snow Plowing Subs in CT SECTLANDSCAPING Online Lawn Care Estimator - Help me bid this job 0 10-13-2011 02:44 PM
I Officially HATE Chevy jklawncare General Talk 10 04-24-2010 02:51 PM
I would hate to work with... CHEESE2009 General Talk 7 01-14-2010 04:26 AM
I hate to say it.... musician/lawnman General Talk 11 07-15-2009 11:32 AM
I hate hedges- help! VPS Lawn Care Online Lawn Care Estimator - Help me bid this job 8 10-08-2008 10:12 AM

» Recent Threads
  RatingTitle, Username, & Date Last Post Replies Views
Say Hello !!!
Steve
03-19-2007 11:18 AM
Yesterday 01:01 AM
by myrlage
1,256 444,018
A quick Intro
BLE
08-14-2016 05:17 PM
Yesterday 12:53 AM
by myrlage
3 1,281
Any successful one man...
WarriorLandscapingCAN
09-26-2016 06:04 AM
09-28-2016 07:16 AM
by Chilehead
2 153
What were your top...
WarriorLandscapingCAN
09-13-2016 05:10 PM
09-26-2016 05:43 PM
by Steve
4 463
Enter to win Free...
arthur712
09-25-2016 11:28 AM
09-26-2016 05:41 PM
by Steve
1 140
I have a new show!
Chilehead
09-19-2016 06:50 PM
09-23-2016 05:45 AM
by Chilehead
7 227
First commercial estimate
WarriorLandscapingCAN
09-19-2016 12:42 PM
09-22-2016 05:42 PM
by acrajchel
7 241
Larger projects - Labor...
WarriorLandscapingCAN
09-18-2016 07:38 AM
09-21-2016 06:51 AM
by Chilehead
5 253
I need some business...
Firehouselawn@hotmail.com
07-06-2016 05:42 AM
09-16-2016 01:50 PM
by DLC123
5 718
Is it too late?
Cpadgett
05-28-2016 09:10 AM
09-16-2016 01:35 PM
by DLC123
15 1,429
Not a newbie just...
lwlawn
09-09-2016 02:32 PM
09-16-2016 01:25 PM
by DLC123
2 603
I'm making stupid money...
WarriorLandscapingCAN
08-07-2016 07:07 PM
09-16-2016 01:15 PM
by DLC123
6 1,499
Lawn problem
magiccc
09-14-2016 11:37 AM
09-15-2016 06:14 AM
by Chilehead
2 381
What kind of seed do you...
Bradcook21
09-02-2016 02:58 PM
09-12-2016 07:18 AM
by joshp
4 1,019
Commercial Flail Mower...
Chickenthief
09-05-2016 04:46 PM
09-09-2016 04:50 PM
by Steve
7 875
Newbie here
paulgrant
09-07-2016 04:52 PM
09-09-2016 12:01 AM
by paulgrant
2 713
Hello, New Member Here,...
Chickenthief
09-05-2016 06:19 PM
09-08-2016 09:35 PM
by Chickenthief
6 840
Pricing fall cleanups?
WarriorLandscapingCAN
09-06-2016 11:17 AM
09-07-2016 04:06 PM
by Steve
3 810
My Invention
biglee
01-11-2015 06:51 PM
08-31-2016 02:47 PM
by Steve
21 3,373
» Popular Tags
annual apartment become an entrepreneur best mower be your own boss bidding business business education business help business management complex contractor hacks contracts convention converting customer dethatcher edging entrepreneur entrepreneur education estimate estimates fuel problems fuel pump half moon blade intro introduction jjandm lawncare l.t.rich landscape landscape design landscaping landscaping design company landscaping richmond va landscping lawn lawncare lawnservice lowering grade marketing mulch planting raising grade residential lawn care richmond va richmond virginia lawn care seasonal snowblower snow plowing snow shovel sprayer start a business start a lawn care business start business start up toro timecutter townhome tree tree service video web design websites what to charge work from home z-max z-spray
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.1.0

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:15 AM.


(C) 2011 Riggs Publications - Terms of use & Privacy Policy

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:15 AM.

(C) 2011 Riggs Publications - Terms of use & Privacy Policy