Lawn Care Business Forum Lawn Care Business Book Lawn Care Business Blog Lawn Care Software
Home Forum Contract & Flyer Templates Blog Software Videos Podcast Calculators / Estimators Store Mower Review Design It Yourself Lawn Business School

Go Back   GopherHaul Landscaping & Lawn Care Business Marketing Forum > Business > General Business Discussions

General Business Discussions A place to talk about general business discussions.

In need of advice


General Business Discussions

A place to talk about general business discussions.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 01-09-2012, 11:28 PM
hansenslawncare hansenslawncare is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Woodbury, MN
Posts: 86
Rep Power: 4
hansenslawncare is on a distinguished road
Default In need of advice

I was wondering if I could get some advice for my lawn care company? Currently I have 16 residential snow removal customers, and 1 commercial property that I maintain. These customers are all new this snow season, so as of yet I do not have them signed up for lawn care, etc. I'd like to at least double or triple this amount of customers for the coming lawn care season. Here's what I do have for marketing ideas, etc. 1.) website, hansenslawncare.com 2.) about 2500 postcards that I plan to insert into newspaper boxes around early March, (I plan to insert about 500 postcards at three different weeks all to the same houses each time.)

Basically I am requesting any advice/tips on converting these customers to the lawn care, and gaining more small to mid-size commercial clients as well.

Thank you for any input,

Richard
Reply With Quote

Stop guess-timating. Learn how to estimate and make money! $$$
Mow Time Estimator Lawn Care Price Estimator Mulch and Topsoil Calculator Snow Plow Estimate Calculator


  #2  
Old 01-09-2012, 11:36 PM
SECTLANDSCAPING SECTLANDSCAPING is offline
new member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: CT
Posts: 1,912
Rep Power: 0
SECTLANDSCAPING is on a distinguished road
Default

Lawn care business tipsLawn Care Business Book
I wouldnt put a postcard in a mailbox, especially with my name and number. Thats a criminal offense. You either have to use door hangers, tape to door, etc. Just stay away from the postbox.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-10-2012, 08:06 AM
dpld dpld is offline
new member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: nj
Posts: 885
Rep Power: 0
dpld is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SECTLANDSCAPING View Post
I wouldnt put a postcard in a mailbox, especially with my name and number. Thats a criminal offense. You either have to use door hangers, tape to door, etc. Just stay away from the postbox.
you can also bring all your addressed post cards down to the post office and get the post card rate which is like half of the standard rate.
they also sell self stick post card rate stamps.
it cuts the cost of sending them out down as well as comes accross more professional.

most people do not like having flyers left on their property and more often then not you come off as a fly by night stalker.

all you need is a street name and house number.

i keep a pad handy and i when i drive around i create my own sudo mailing list by targeting properties that look like they use a professional lawn service.
when i see a nice property that looks like they use a pro they get their house number and street name on the list.

by doing this it ensures that all your marketing goes to people who legitimately could have a need for your services and eliminates the do it yourselfers as well as cuts back on any of your competitors from getting their hands on your promo's.

over the years i compiled a huge mailing list that way and it has yeilded far better results then door hanging and mass mailers and is the sole reason as to whaty i am and what i have today.

the best part is the whole list is in my computer and when i want to do a run i print the whole list on the self stick address labels.

you can go to post cards.com and choose from many styles of landscaper post cards and customize them as you see fit.
they usually cost about $55.00 for 500 cards and they arrive in a week and when they come i slap on the self stick address labels and the self stick post card rate stamps and in about 1 hr i drive to the post office and drop them in the box and wait for the magic to begin for a total cost of about $140.00.

i must also include that after doing it regularly i bought a postage machine that came with a scale and it actually cost a little less that way then the self stick post card rate stamps.

the key is to do it often and mix it up and not use the same card and you will have to do it a couple times to start getting results but by putting your name in their mail box and making sure they see your name regularly it will ensure the next time they need a landscaper they will think of you.

i have about 13 different designs and for all types of services like a spring is here and a snow plow card and a sign up now and save promo for the winter or a time to mulch card for the summer you get the drift.

i also use the mailing list to send out a monthly newsletter with tips and advice as well as i pick a lucky customer to give a free cut for the month to and it creates a intrest amongst the customers in anticipation to seeing themselves as the monthly winner.

if you ever wanted to get into mass mailings this is the only way and forget the companies that send your stuff out with every other company thats willing to get ripped off .
when you mail to a entire area just think of how many cards will get sent to people who would never use a landscaper or even how many landscapers are getting your flyer? i have recieved hundreds over the years from other companies in the val pak coupons.

i always thought how useless it is to have a flyer or postcard from a landscaper being sent to a landscaper.

Last edited by dpld; 01-10-2012 at 08:09 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-10-2012, 09:56 AM
hansenslawncare hansenslawncare is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Woodbury, MN
Posts: 86
Rep Power: 4
hansenslawncare is on a distinguished road
Default

@ SECTLANDSCAPING

"Stay away from the mailboxes" alright good advice. I was thinking of placing them in the newspaper box, what do you think, have you seen success with this? I guess I would pretty much throw just about anything out of my newspaper box, but that's just me.

@dpld

Thank you for all the advice. I was considering doing what you suggested with selecting addresses that I specifically thought would need services I provide. I've checked out gotprint.com, they have really good prices on their website. There's also a guy close to me that will print me 2500 cards from $125.00, which is more expensive than gotprint.com,but he's small business and I'd rather support him than a large company. What do you think?

Again, thanks for all the advice. Any thoughts on my website? Anything I should add to/or take away from the site? Thanks...
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-10-2012, 10:48 AM
dpld dpld is offline
new member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: nj
Posts: 885
Rep Power: 0
dpld is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hansenslawncare View Post
@ SECTLANDSCAPING

"Stay away from the mailboxes" alright good advice. I was thinking of placing them in the newspaper box, what do you think, have you seen success with this? I guess I would pretty much throw just about anything out of my newspaper box, but that's just me.

@dpld

Thank you for all the advice. I was considering doing what you suggested with selecting addresses that I specifically thought would need services I provide. I've checked out gotprint.com, they have really good prices on their website. There's also a guy close to me that will print me 2500 cards from $125.00, which is more expensive than gotprint.com,but he's small business and I'd rather support him than a large company. What do you think?

Again, thanks for all the advice. Any thoughts on my website? Anything I should add to/or take away from the site? Thanks...

thats great, happy to be of any help.

i did not check your site out yet but i definitly will.

also, if you by a large quantity of cards make sure they are not dated like, new for 2012. because if you have too many they will end up as garbage.
like i said its good to have several types for different times of the year but at the same time keeping them timeless.

good luck.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-10-2012, 11:16 AM
hansenslawncare hansenslawncare is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Woodbury, MN
Posts: 86
Rep Power: 4
hansenslawncare is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpld View Post
thats great, happy to be of any help.

i did not check your site out yet but i definitly will.

also, if you by a large quantity of cards make sure they are not dated like, new for 2012. because if you have too many they will end up as garbage.
like i said its good to have several types for different times of the year but at the same time keeping them timeless.

good luck.
Alright great advice, I'll keep that in mind as well. Thanks
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-10-2012, 02:52 PM
Steve's Avatar
Steve Steve is online now
Administrator
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 37,460
Rep Power: 10
Steve has disabled reputation
Default

Quote:
about 2500 postcards that I plan to insert into newspaper boxes around early March, (I plan to insert about 500 postcards at three different weeks all to the same houses each time.)
You know we ran into a situation on here a little while back where the newspaper called the lawn care business owner for putting cards in their newspaper boxes. Doing so is actually violates some variation of trespassing.

Check out the discussion. Putting Fliers in Newspaper Box Laws?

With all this discussion, has it changed your plan on what you may do with your lawn care marketing now?
__________________
- Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-10-2012, 06:48 PM
hansenslawncare hansenslawncare is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Woodbury, MN
Posts: 86
Rep Power: 4
hansenslawncare is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
You know we ran into a situation on here a little while back where the newspaper called the lawn care business owner for putting cards in their newspaper boxes. Doing so is actually violates some variation of trespassing.

Check out the discussion. Putting Fliers in Newspaper Box Laws?

With all this discussion, has it changed your plan on what you may do with your lawn care marketing now?
To answer your question Steve, yes! I think what I'll do now is take this advice and run with it.

For example, like previously mentioned, I will visit neighborhoods where I currently have customers and note the address of the surrounding neighbors and just "suck up" the postage costs and mail each person a postcard. I might be paying more up front but at least it's legal, the safe route.

Any other advice would be kindly appreciated, thank you!
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-10-2012, 09:21 PM
dpld dpld is offline
new member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: nj
Posts: 885
Rep Power: 0
dpld is on a distinguished road
Default

just stick to it and if you can dedicate 150 to 200 dollars a month on it or even every other month and continuously build your list you will make boat loads.

just don't expect to do it once or twice and see earth shattering results in this economy. allthough way back when the first time i did it i got 9 replies and 3 new lawn contracts that netted me 5,500.00 bucks for the season and considering it only cost me like 150.00 bucks to do the run, i would say it more then paid for itself and was well worth the time.

like i said now that you know the secret all you have to do is streamline it so you can do everything in house with minimal cost and time.
keep making your list, every day you go places and pass nice properties just jot them down, get a postage machine its the cheapest way to mail, find a cheap source of high quality post cards and finally get a mailing list software so you can keep all your addresses on file and print them on self stick labels on a moment notice.

one other thing i will add is that even if you are small and starting out get a real business phone line because they come with a free listing and directory assistance for anyone looking for your number.
one easy trick consumers can do when they get a flier in the mail and they want to see if the guy is halfway legitimate is they call directory assistance to see if you are listed.
if you are not that can be a immediate turn off to any potential customer intrested in your services and you definitly come off as ham and egg.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-11-2012, 09:24 PM
hansenslawncare hansenslawncare is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Woodbury, MN
Posts: 86
Rep Power: 4
hansenslawncare is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpld View Post
just stick to it and if you can dedicate 150 to 200 dollars a month on it or even every other month and continuously build your list you will make boat loads.

just don't expect to do it once or twice and see earth shattering results in this economy. allthough way back when the first time i did it i got 9 replies and 3 new lawn contracts that netted me 5,500.00 bucks for the season and considering it only cost me like 150.00 bucks to do the run, i would say it more then paid for itself and was well worth the time.

like i said now that you know the secret all you have to do is streamline it so you can do everything in house with minimal cost and time.
keep making your list, every day you go places and pass nice properties just jot them down, get a postage machine its the cheapest way to mail, find a cheap source of high quality post cards and finally get a mailing list software so you can keep all your addresses on file and print them on self stick labels on a moment notice.

one other thing i will add is that even if you are small and starting out get a real business phone line because they come with a free listing and directory assistance for anyone looking for your number.
one easy trick consumers can do when they get a flier in the mail and they want to see if the guy is halfway legitimate is they call directory assistance to see if you are listed.
if you are not that can be a immediate turn off to any potential customer intrested in your services and you definitly come off as ham and egg.
Thanks a lot for the information, what you suggested definitely seems like the route I am going to take. I appreciate the help and the encouragement, without it I'd probably be doing something less effective.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
customers, lawn care

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Need advice on Name CanadayLandscaping Starting a lawn care business. 17 01-10-2012 01:23 PM
want some advice??? Ducke Truck, Trailer, and Outdoor Power Equipment Discussion, Repairs. 8 01-08-2012 06:34 PM
Advice winosa1 General Talk 9 09-01-2010 12:49 AM
New and Need Advice Brian1773 Introduce Yourself 3 10-29-2009 08:48 AM
I'm new and need advice. mccarthyjohn Introduce Yourself 2 09-21-2008 02:38 PM

» Recent Threads
  RatingTitle, Username, & Date Last Post Replies Views
Should I buy this Exmark...
googus
Today 09:22 AM
Today 03:29 PM
by googus
3 51
Just about mid year, how...
GreenWorx
06-24-2015 07:05 PM
Today 02:53 PM
by American L&T
6 1,893
another newish job for me
holymoly
06-07-2015 08:34 AM
Today 02:06 PM
by American L&T
9 2,098
Unemployment rates drop,...
Steve
Yesterday 12:40 PM
Today 09:42 AM
by Steve
2 60
Before & After tree...
COREtreeservice
07-01-2015 09:20 PM
07-01-2015 09:20 PM
by COREtreeservice
0 66
Dogs
Mr. Mow
06-29-2015 02:37 PM
07-01-2015 11:28 AM
by Steve
6 1,851
Ready to learn and get...
Koley Lawn & Landscape
06-28-2015 05:16 AM
07-01-2015 11:26 AM
by Steve
8 1,843
Three Stripe Land Care...
hammr04
06-30-2015 07:19 PM
07-01-2015 11:24 AM
by Steve
1 65
Country Life Lawn Care
darleneh
06-29-2015 11:24 AM
06-30-2015 01:25 PM
by Steve
3 1,725
Rubber mulch...
avetslawncare
06-24-2015 09:28 PM
06-29-2015 09:23 PM
by Chilehead
6 1,852
I dont know what to do...
Bradcook21
06-21-2015 08:49 AM
06-29-2015 02:30 PM
by Mr. Mow
11 2,114
Marketing ideas
xandrew245x
04-29-2014 06:35 AM
06-25-2015 07:11 PM
by GreenWorx
34 5,709
Never ending sod jobs
avetslawncare
06-05-2015 09:46 PM
06-25-2015 11:42 AM
by Steve
11 2,332
Weed and Feed Service...
mike94740
06-23-2015 05:50 PM
06-24-2015 09:56 PM
by avetslawncare
2 1,780
Trimming hedges / trees,...
Hard-Body lawn & garden
06-23-2015 07:08 PM
06-24-2015 09:59 AM
by Steve
1 1,780
Hi Everyone from Arkansas
KellyMarie
06-04-2015 04:16 PM
06-23-2015 01:34 PM
by KellyMarie
4 2,050
how to make customers...
Bradcook21
05-27-2015 05:04 PM
06-23-2015 06:36 AM
by GreenWorx
7 2,279
problems with a customer...
LawnCareMan280
06-16-2015 10:26 PM
06-22-2015 11:11 AM
by Steve
6 2,072
Please review this FREE...
markty
06-21-2015 07:42 AM
06-22-2015 11:00 AM
by Steve
1 1,801
A good commercial bid...
burtle
06-20-2015 09:09 PM
06-22-2015 10:56 AM
by Steve
1 1,865
What would you do with...
holymoly
06-20-2015 06:48 PM
06-22-2015 10:48 AM
by Steve
1 1,821
New Member just joined...
vgoleco@hotmail.com
06-19-2015 03:49 PM
06-22-2015 10:42 AM
by Steve
2 1,834
Credit Cards - What's in...
Shark1611
06-16-2015 03:04 PM
06-21-2015 07:24 PM
by Chilehead
4 1,929
Blade usage
Wolf4dk
06-16-2015 12:18 AM
06-21-2015 05:35 PM
by kslawn
4 1,938
Hello, I am new to the...
adamslawnservices
06-17-2015 08:06 PM
06-19-2015 10:28 AM
by Steve
3 1,863
Is it too late to do...
markty
06-16-2015 05:28 PM
06-19-2015 10:22 AM
by Steve
4 1,944
First commercial bid
SGL1
06-12-2015 08:57 PM
06-18-2015 05:04 PM
by SGL1
9 2,312
Needing a website built
burtle
06-17-2015 09:02 AM
06-18-2015 11:02 AM
by Steve
7 2,009
I have been rude and...
biglee
06-15-2015 10:11 PM
06-18-2015 10:46 AM
by Steve
10 2,098
Start LIKING FACEBOOK...
rlclawncare123
02-26-2015 12:06 AM
06-17-2015 08:38 AM
by burtle
9 3,185
Customer keeps adding...
Mr. Mow
06-13-2015 06:22 AM
06-16-2015 10:23 AM
by Steve
11 2,285
Pass discounts onto...
burnell76
06-03-2015 06:33 PM
06-16-2015 10:02 AM
by burnell76
3 2,034
burned grass only where...
nhauto
06-15-2015 05:28 PM
06-16-2015 09:45 AM
by Steve
2 1,901
Half year mark review.
Steve
06-02-2015 11:24 AM
06-15-2015 01:04 PM
by Steve
18 2,623
These are the days on...
ExtremeLawncareServices
01-11-2015 10:41 AM
06-15-2015 01:01 PM
by Steve
86 9,682
New Member
Bruce Fehr
06-05-2015 07:13 PM
06-15-2015 12:53 PM
by Steve
6 2,037
New to the business,...
CarefreeMowing
06-12-2015 02:36 PM
06-15-2015 12:50 PM
by Steve
1 1,920
Beginner Mistakes:...
Steve
01-31-2007 11:45 AM
06-13-2015 08:48 AM
by holymoly
45 12,012
New to the forum, new to...
CarefreeMowing
06-11-2015 12:35 PM
06-12-2015 10:44 AM
by Steve
2 1,837
problems with a customer
LawnCareMan280
05-19-2015 06:28 PM
06-11-2015 10:50 PM
by stallman419
8 2,384
Website Review
Outdoordesignsknox
06-08-2015 08:44 PM
06-11-2015 09:48 PM
by Just for Cuts
13 2,277
Anyone need help? I have...
biglee
05-06-2015 12:22 PM
06-10-2015 01:45 PM
by holymoly
15 2,973
Hello from the GREAT...
gbfarmsllc
06-09-2015 11:10 AM
06-10-2015 01:29 PM
by Sprinkler Buddy
2 1,903
Hey guys and gals, I'm...
Joeyhall
06-03-2015 03:54 PM
06-08-2015 02:15 PM
by chris2500hd
8 2,148
Mowing Bermuda...
Mr. Mow
06-02-2015 12:45 PM
06-08-2015 12:45 PM
by Steve
12 2,305
Hey Guys
PrattLandscaping
06-07-2015 06:37 PM
06-08-2015 12:23 PM
by Steve
2 1,917
Share your stolen...
SGL1
05-27-2015 09:05 PM
06-08-2015 11:54 AM
by Steve
25 2,861
Hello there My name is...
zwalk1839
06-04-2015 11:10 PM
06-08-2015 11:52 AM
by Steve
4 2,030
Laid off oil field...
Mr. Mow
05-30-2015 09:03 AM
06-08-2015 06:20 AM
by Mr. Mow
4 2,144
How do you find one time...
Greg'slawnandlandscape
06-02-2015 09:57 PM
06-05-2015 09:49 PM
by avetslawncare
4 2,065
» Popular Tags
ad landscaping advertising apartment complex apartment lawn care estimate applying bark billy goat brushcutter blowout bob villa collections commercial curb appeal services demonstration design door hangers edging employee problems equipment dealer equipment rental facebook foreman free advertising free lawn care google growing a lawn care business hardscapes hills how to husqvarna increase customers jobs landscape landscape services landscaping lawn aeration lawn care lawn care busines plan lawn mowing marketing marketing secrets more customers business mr dave new business ordinance past due patio install per hour service plowing pricing push versus ride scripts secrets to landscaping shell shreaded small engine repair snow plowing sq ft square foot trailer trailer mate pro tree tree pics trimmer rack up sell employee web design website website design winterization wood www.greenturion.co.za
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.1.0

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:06 PM.


(C) 2011 Riggs Publications - Terms of use & Privacy Policy

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:06 PM.

(C) 2011 Riggs Publications - Terms of use & Privacy Policy