Lawn Care Business Forum Lawn Care Business Book Lawn Care Business Blog Lawn Care Software
Home Forum Contract & Flyer Templates Blog Software Videos Podcast Calculators / Estimators Store Mower Review Design It Yourself Lawn Business School

Go Back   GopherHaul Landscaping & Lawn Care Business Marketing Forum > Lawn Care, Landscaping, and Property Management Forums > Truck, Trailer, and Outdoor Power Equipment Discussion, Repairs.

Truck, Trailer, and Outdoor Power Equipment Discussion, Repairs. Questions on your truck, trailer, commercial lawn mowers, lawn mower, mower parts, lawn tractors, engines, edgers, trimmers, pole saws, aerators, hydro seeders, snow plows, chain saws, stump grinders??

Looking for a B/S Muffler


Truck, Trailer, and Outdoor Power Equipment Discussion, Repairs.

Questions on your truck, trailer, commercial lawn mowers, lawn mower, mower parts, lawn tractors, engines, edgers, trimmers, pole saws, aerators, hydro seeders, snow plows, chain saws, stump grinders??
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 01-01-2012, 08:19 PM
Ducke's Avatar
Ducke Ducke is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: The Duck Pond
Posts: 844
Rep Power: 5
Ducke is on a distinguished road
Default Looking for a B/S Muffler

Hey hey everyone.
To make a long story short I got my lazy a$$ off the sofa today and out into the shop.
I finally got the muffler off the Ryan Reno-o-thin man was it tough bugger too.
I have been looking for a replacement on line I have found a couple but they are either priced way High or out of stock.
So I was wondering if anyone may have something kicking around their shop.

here is the part # Muffler For Briggs and Stratton # 391313
Attached Images
File Type: jpg muffler.jpg (38.5 KB, 5 views)
__________________
Ducke's lawn Care and Introducing Duck's Seasonal Decor.
Reply With Quote

Stop guess-timating. Learn how to estimate and make money! $$$
Mow Time Estimator Lawn Care Price Estimator Mulch and Topsoil Calculator Snow Plow Estimate Calculator


  #2  
Old 01-01-2012, 08:32 PM
turf&tree turf&tree is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 67
Rep Power: 4
turf&tree is on a distinguished road
Default

Lawn care business tipsLawn Care Business Book
Ducke, glad to see you are up and off the couch lol.
I get parts from Stens and Rotary. I forgot to mention I also have a repair business. www.homelinkpowerpro.com if you can't find the muffler locally I can order it from Stens. My cost is $ 10.17 plus shipping. It should retail around you for about $ 19.00 if you can't get it I will be happy to order it for you and ship it up north. I usually order at least once per week . No B&S dealers in the frozen tundra?
Jim
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-01-2012, 08:40 PM
jasonw's Avatar
jasonw jasonw is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,008
Rep Power: 7
jasonw is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducke View Post
Hey hey everyone.
To make a long story short I got my lazy a$$ off the sofa today and out into the shop.
I finally got the muffler off the Ryan Reno-o-thin man was it tough bugger too.
I have been looking for a replacement on line I have found a couple but they are either priced way High or out of stock.
So I was wondering if anyone may have something kicking around their shop.

here is the part # Muffler For Briggs and Stratton # 391313
I have a chipper that has one of those, not sure if I am going to trash it or not yet "not running" If I do before you find another one I will be more than happy to give it to you, just cover the shipping.
__________________
White Company
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-01-2012, 08:41 PM
Ducke's Avatar
Ducke Ducke is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: The Duck Pond
Posts: 844
Rep Power: 5
Ducke is on a distinguished road
Default

Thanks Jim
I do have a couple of places here in town but I know what it will be.
Somewhere around 200% mark up. I will go out and look around on Tuesday when the city comes back to life.
I will let you know what I find.

Graham
__________________
Ducke's lawn Care and Introducing Duck's Seasonal Decor.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-01-2012, 09:04 PM
turf&tree turf&tree is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 67
Rep Power: 4
turf&tree is on a distinguished road
Default

Like I said I would charge you cost plus shipping.
Cheers Duckie
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-13-2012, 12:46 AM
SuperiorPower SuperiorPower is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 60
Rep Power: 5
SuperiorPower is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by turf&tree View Post
Like I said I would charge you cost plus shipping.
Cheers Duckie
That isn't a business. That is charity. You can't expect anyone to not make a living. I won't rip you off but by golly I gotta make a living or my family and I will go hungry. In that case I might as well close my doors. LCO folks want to make 200% or better. Why can't is it so wrong for a shop to make a buck? If I can't make a living I will close my doors. Again, cost plus shipping is flat out charity. When I have thousands of $$$ in parts in stock plus many more thousands in tools, building, training, etc., I will have to charge some profit. Period.
__________________
One of a dying breed; the servicing dealer. A Servicing Dealer services what they sell and are factory certified to make these repairs. Find & support them.

B&S Master Service Technician, Kohler Expert Technician & Honda Engine Technician. Website
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-13-2012, 08:43 AM
Ducke's Avatar
Ducke Ducke is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: The Duck Pond
Posts: 844
Rep Power: 5
Ducke is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperiorPower View Post
That isn't a business. That is charity. You can't expect anyone to not make a living. I won't rip you off but by golly I gotta make a living or my family and I will go hungry. In that case I might as well close my doors. LCO folks want to make 200% or better. Why can't is it so wrong for a shop to make a buck? If I can't make a living I will close my doors. Again, cost plus shipping is flat out charity. When I have thousands of $$$ in parts in stock plus many more thousands in tools, building, training, etc., I will have to charge some profit. Period.
Man who pissed in your cheerios this morning ???
I never asked for any deals and to be honest I didn't want any.
The guy is doing me a favour because I am a fellow Gopher Haul member.
Also if he gives me a deal on this maybe I just might buy more from him down the road because he helped get me out of a jam this time.
Also if you could kindly let me know where LCO are making 200% markup I would really like to move my operation to that area.
I like most LCO are in the same boat as you nickled and dimed by every home owner because every kid with a pick up and a mower will do the job for $20.00 .
I went to all my local dealers and none had the muffler, I even got one of the factory shops to order it B/S said none in stock 6- 8 weeks to get one in
so I then went on line but there is so many guys out there with $5.00 mufflers that I just don't trust them. So I went to the LCO industry my brothers and asked if anyone had one. Turf &Tree was nice enough to offer me a deal.
charity is not a bad thing try it some time it will come back and repay you double the effort.


PS
Hey Cheese this guy says we can go make 200% markup in his area want to join me in the move .............
__________________
Ducke's lawn Care and Introducing Duck's Seasonal Decor.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-13-2012, 10:29 AM
dpld dpld is offline
new member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: nj
Posts: 885
Rep Power: 0
dpld is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperiorPower View Post
That isn't a business. That is charity. You can't expect anyone to not make a living. I won't rip you off but by golly I gotta make a living or my family and I will go hungry. In that case I might as well close my doors. LCO folks want to make 200% or better. Why can't is it so wrong for a shop to make a buck? If I can't make a living I will close my doors. Again, cost plus shipping is flat out charity. When I have thousands of $$$ in parts in stock plus many more thousands in tools, building, training, etc., I will have to charge some profit. Period.

i don't mind anyone making a buck and if i need something like right now and a shop actually has the part in question in hand then i will pay what i got to in order to get back up and running again.

but the problem lies in that 99% of repair shops don't stock the parts and it is always " i can order it for you and have it in a few days " line and why would i do that when i can go online find the same part cheaper and have it in the same time frame.

plus you must understand something, we invest a boatload of money into our equipment and i myself have at any given time about 30,000 g's in lawn mowers and if i bought my mowers in parts based on prices repair shops sell parts for i would have 60,000 g's in mowers and i would still own the same amount of mowers.

i have enough equipment to the point where i stick to things that share similar parts as to where i try to stock up on a lot of things and buy bulk to save money.

you also have to take into consideration that landscapers get today to cut a lawn what we got 25 years ago but all the while everything else went up, insurance, fuel, labor and equipment.

i bought my first walker riding mower brand new for 4,800.00 23 years ago and i just bought a new one last year and it cost me 15,000.00 but i still get about the same to cut the lawn.
and you wonder why guys like us try to save a buck.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-13-2012, 11:56 AM
Ducke's Avatar
Ducke Ducke is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: The Duck Pond
Posts: 844
Rep Power: 5
Ducke is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpld View Post
i don't mind anyone making a buck and if i need something like right now and a shop actually has the part in question in hand then i will pay what i got to in order to get back up and running again.

but the problem lies in that 99% of repair shops don't stock the parts and it is always " i can order it for you and have it in a few days " line and why would i do that when i can go online find the same part cheaper and have it in the same time frame.

plus you must understand something, we invest a boatload of money into our equipment and i myself have at any given time about 30,000 g's in lawn mowers and if i bought my mowers in parts based on prices repair shops sell parts for i would have 60,000 g's in mowers and i would still own the same amount of mowers.

i have enough equipment to the point where i stick to things that share similar parts as to where i try to stock up on a lot of things and buy bulk to save money.

you also have to take into consideration that landscapers get today to cut a lawn what we got 25 years ago but all the while everything else went up, insurance, fuel, labor and equipment.

i bought my first walker riding mower brand new for 4,800.00 23 years ago and i just bought a new one last year and it cost me 15,000.00 but i still get about the same to cut the lawn.
and you wonder why guys like us try to save a buck.
All good points.
I was thinking while I was out clearing snow again today why is it i can get a muffler for $11.00 plus like $10.00 postage so total $31.00 but the B/S authorized Dealer up here wanted $75.00 for the same muffler ?????? talk about your mark up
__________________
Ducke's lawn Care and Introducing Duck's Seasonal Decor.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-13-2012, 12:03 PM
SuperiorPower SuperiorPower is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 60
Rep Power: 5
SuperiorPower is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducke View Post
Man who pissed in your cheerios this morning ???
I never asked for any deals and to be honest I didn't want any.
The guy is doing me a favour because I am a fellow Gopher Haul member.
Also if he gives me a deal on this maybe I just might buy more from him down the road because he helped get me out of a jam this time.
Also if you could kindly let me know where LCO are making 200% markup I would really like to move my operation to that area.
I like most LCO are in the same boat as you nickled and dimed by every home owner because every kid with a pick up and a mower will do the job for $20.00 .
I went to all my local dealers and none had the muffler, I even got one of the factory shops to order it B/S said none in stock 6- 8 weeks to get one in
so I then went on line but there is so many guys out there with $5.00 mufflers that I just don't trust them. So I went to the LCO industry my brothers and asked if anyone had one. Turf &Tree was nice enough to offer me a deal.
charity is not a bad thing try it some time it will come back and repay you double the effort.


PS
Hey Cheese this guy says we can go make 200% markup in his area want to join me in the move .............
Ducke (and everyone else who thought it or said it), seriously? No one peed in my cheerios. Sorry if I rubbed you guys wrong. Please don't take offense at what I am about to say. This is what I was trying to say at midnight on just a few hours of sleep in the previous 48 hours, with at least 3-4 more hours to go....

I guess I look at this the same way as you look at the "every kid with a pick up and a mower will do the job for $20.00". Your words, not mine. And I never said all LCO make 200% when you did say dealers make 200% on parts.

Think about this, I buy $200 in parts (we will call this the "perceived cost"). Shipping is normally at least $10.00. I spend an hour and a half looking up and order parts, stocking parts when they get here, calling customers, talking to and checking out customers when they pick up the parts, etc. Now I have 90 minutes wrapped up in the parts. Then you have to add utilities, insurance, building costs, etc. My labor rate is $50 per hour so if I were to expect to make labor rates handling and ordering parts I would need to charge at least $75 in labor. By now I am at over $300 for those parts. This is the "actual cost". Yet, everyone expects me to sell them a part which has a "perceived cost" of $10 for $12-13. If I throw away my labor, which no business owner should intentionally do EVER (I would never expect you to throw away your labor), then I might break even at $12-13. I WILL lose money at $10..... And $30,000-60,000 is NOTHING for a dealer stocking whole goods.

Currently I don't stock a lot of new whole goods. And if you walked into my shop today and said, hey, the next time you order parts, order me a part # 391313 and I will pick it up the same day you get it in, I would say, ok, I will cut you a break. But I would not sell it to to you at my cost (perceived cost). Would you cut my lawn at YOUR COST? I doubt it... What does it cost to mow my yard, $5 in gas (remember, this is the "perceived cost")? That is what I expect you to charge me........

Honestly, I will prefer to do business with a man who will tell me, he "will make a profit" cutting my lawn. Because he is likely being honest with me. Favors will always strain a relationship.

Please understand that I am in the business to make money. I don't mind giving you a deal but I also understand if I consistently sell at "perceived cost", I will actually lose a great deal of money very quickly. If he wants to do you a favor, then that's cool. But remember, lowballers are still lowballers. Or maybe he is running a "charity lawnmower repair shop" and is not a small engine parts supplier "lowballer"?

When I come on this board and hear you guys talking about the lowballers in your industry and your need to be able to make enough money to make it, I understand. I support your right, and your NEED, as a business man, to make money. I will fight for you guys all day long. I will fight the lowballer shoulder to shoulder with you. Will you fight them with me? THERE IS NO DIFFERENCE.

One more thought, do you want me to go tell your customers what your "perceived costs" are for operating your mower? They will beg for a $10 mow, and swear you are making 200% profit. I promise.

Again, don't be offended. This is how the scene looks from MY view. Meanwhile, I will continue to help you stand against the lowballers in your industry.
__________________
One of a dying breed; the servicing dealer. A Servicing Dealer services what they sell and are factory certified to make these repairs. Find & support them.

B&S Master Service Technician, Kohler Expert Technician & Honda Engine Technician. Website
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump

» Recent Threads
  RatingTitle, Username, & Date Last Post Replies Views
Hello from Md
homey
Yesterday 06:55 PM
Yesterday 06:55 PM
by homey
0 35
Repair or replace the...
lxarth
Yesterday 05:07 PM
Yesterday 06:08 PM
by Sprinkler Buddy
1 57
what do you "love" to...
calebmoss
07-06-2011 10:05 PM
Yesterday 05:09 PM
by Chilehead
28 8,841
Employee job training...
brookline
12-15-2014 08:15 PM
Yesterday 04:59 PM
by Chilehead
3 148
What Fertilizer to Use?
acrajchel
04-07-2014 02:56 PM
Yesterday 01:11 PM
by Steve
23 2,878
I'm BACK!
SuperiorPower
12-16-2014 11:08 PM
Yesterday 01:09 PM
by Steve
1 79
Grass hopper mower
ExtremeLawncareServices
12-05-2013 09:51 AM
Yesterday 09:40 AM
by SuperiorPower
34 6,018
Peco Bagger
AGPS
11-18-2014 02:20 PM
Yesterday 09:13 AM
by SuperiorPower
15 1,224
These are the days on...
ExtremeLawncareServices
03-22-2014 10:12 AM
12-15-2014 10:30 PM
by ExtremeLawncareServices
188 16,385
New to Gopher Haul-from...
323k13l
12-12-2014 10:34 PM
12-15-2014 02:58 PM
by Steve
3 223
hi
creteland
12-12-2014 09:06 AM
12-15-2014 01:45 PM
by Steve
5 225
New addition to my small...
googus
12-12-2014 07:36 PM
12-15-2014 07:47 AM
by googus
4 290
Ferris IS700Z
rmccutchan
12-14-2014 01:10 AM
12-14-2014 11:41 PM
by rmccutchan
4 201
Charge what the market...
Billy Goat
12-09-2014 12:39 PM
12-14-2014 06:39 PM
by biglee
20 720
Hi from IL
steveinil
11-25-2014 02:07 PM
12-12-2014 07:18 AM
by steveinil
4 739
Utility Company Right of...
eastsidelandcare
12-11-2014 04:54 PM
12-11-2014 04:54 PM
by eastsidelandcare
0 216
leaf removal
Double J LLC
10-03-2014 05:24 PM
12-11-2014 04:50 PM
by eastsidelandcare
33 3,949
suggestions on full lawn...
Brian3137
12-10-2014 07:18 PM
12-11-2014 03:41 PM
by Steve
6 319
new to me box truck
jrayb39667
03-06-2014 11:20 PM
12-11-2014 09:43 AM
by Sprinkler Buddy
18 3,273
Hello from SW FL!!
5StarLawnscaping
12-05-2014 02:35 PM
12-10-2014 02:45 PM
by WesleySnips
7 553
Echo pb200 blower fuel...
googus
12-06-2014 09:03 PM
12-09-2014 06:35 PM
by Steve
3 398
Facebook
element009
03-23-2011 09:36 AM
12-09-2014 06:24 PM
by Steve
36 9,705
Are you prepared for the...
Steve
12-02-2014 04:13 PM
12-09-2014 06:22 PM
by Steve
7 816
Email Address Name
Just Cuts
12-07-2014 09:49 PM
12-08-2014 03:15 PM
by Steve
3 363
Inspection form
stevef1201
12-07-2014 10:38 AM
12-08-2014 03:10 PM
by Steve
1 361
Truck, Trailer,...
hawthornelawncare
12-23-2011 01:01 AM
12-08-2014 12:37 PM
by jrs.landscaping
108 34,046
Back Pack Blower
Ian Lovejoy
11-09-2014 08:41 AM
12-07-2014 06:35 PM
by stevef1201
24 1,619
Innovation by mandate
bayoubandit
11-29-2014 01:33 PM
12-06-2014 03:27 PM
by SGL1
12 883
Trying something new,...
ExtremeLawncareServices
09-21-2014 10:07 PM
12-05-2014 11:06 AM
by Steve
9 2,188
Good help is hard to find
Hanks Lawn Care Services
11-19-2014 03:27 PM
12-04-2014 01:32 PM
by stevef1201
15 1,360
How many hours is too...
Just Cuts
12-04-2014 09:00 AM
12-04-2014 01:02 PM
by Just for Cuts
6 529
Does this sound like a...
googus
12-03-2014 07:47 AM
12-04-2014 12:37 PM
by Steve
5 601
New website
Chilehead
11-20-2014 04:39 PM
12-04-2014 12:27 PM
by Steve
14 1,141
New website
SGL1
12-02-2014 10:55 PM
12-03-2014 11:17 PM
by BLC7
19 773
Websites, how long...
Dan Tanner
03-09-2014 08:29 AM
12-03-2014 11:12 PM
by SGL1
21 3,137
I Want to buy old...
ExtremeLawncareServices
10-10-2014 11:04 PM
12-03-2014 10:36 PM
by ExtremeLawncareServices
8 1,793
GPS trackers for...
Billy Goat
12-02-2014 06:09 PM
12-03-2014 07:17 PM
by Steve
8 628
My site is on fronts page
tbtigers03
11-14-2014 05:58 PM
12-03-2014 06:31 PM
by SGL1
17 1,353
Hiring Subs over Temps
Billy Goat
12-02-2014 06:26 AM
12-03-2014 01:24 PM
by Steve
3 562
Thanksgiving cards
Steve
11-10-2008 11:57 AM
12-02-2014 11:11 PM
by SGL1
11 9,426
New parking area
ExtremeLawncareServices
11-07-2014 09:47 PM
12-02-2014 02:17 PM
by jrs.landscaping
12 1,403
Pressure Washing...
WesleySnips
07-31-2014 07:13 PM
12-02-2014 08:47 AM
by SGL1
6 1,425
old contracts
bayoubandit
11-29-2014 11:10 AM
12-01-2014 11:20 AM
by Steve
3 646
Hi to you NOTHERNERS
stevef1201
11-11-2014 05:56 PM
12-01-2014 10:54 AM
by Steve
9 1,192
Lawn care truck
Steve
10-10-2009 03:40 AM
12-01-2014 10:45 AM
by Steve
32 15,092
Intuit Quickbooks...
CDLAWNCARE
11-30-2014 10:19 AM
11-30-2014 10:19 AM
by CDLAWNCARE
0 543
Say Hello !!!
Steve
03-19-2007 12:18 PM
11-28-2014 01:36 PM
by Just Cuts
1,196 355,304
Hello from Kentucky
TRV
09-30-2014 06:42 PM
11-28-2014 10:49 AM
by Steve
13 2,229
Happy Thanksgiving!
Steve
11-27-2014 09:48 AM
11-27-2014 09:48 AM
by Steve
0 596
Contract or no contract?
TRV
11-20-2014 09:18 PM
11-26-2014 09:23 PM
by stevef1201
5 948
» Popular Tags
2wd 4x4 aerocore apartment complex auger bark billy goat brushcutter blades care charge christmas collections edging employee problems equipment rental estimate foreman four wheel drive gopherhaul gravely growing a lawn care business hardscapes hills holiday husqvarna jobs john deere quik trac labor cost landscape services lawn lawn care lawn care business podcast lawn care business seo lawn care business show lawn care business website lawn care business website seo lawn care website lighting lighting brass outdoor lights marketing mowing mr dave mulch mulch estimate new buisness new mower ordinance past due per hour service podcast pto push versus ride running a business savannah scripts search engine optimization seo shreaded small engine repair snow sprayer starting a business toro grand stand trailer trimmer rack truck new used landscape turfgrass consulting up sell employee won't return wood
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.1.0

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:02 AM.


(C) 2011 Riggs Publications - Terms of use & Privacy Policy

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:02 AM.

(C) 2011 Riggs Publications - Terms of use & Privacy Policy