Lawn Care Business Forum Lawn Care Business Book Lawn Care Business Blog Lawn Care Software
Home Forum Contract & Flyer Templates Blog Software Videos Podcast Calculators / Estimators Store Mower Review Design It Yourself Lawn Business School

Go Back   GopherHaul Landscaping & Lawn Care Business Marketing Forum > Lawn Care, Landscaping, and Property Management Forums > General Talk

General Talk If it doesn't fit anywhere else, post it here.

No more bi-weekly accounts!


General Talk

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, post it here.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #41  
Old 05-07-2012, 06:13 AM
stevef1201 stevef1201 is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 1,048
Rep Power: 6
stevef1201 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by element009 View Post
Steve, how can you charge someone 65 for 4 cuts and still make money? That's about 16 per cut.
this size yard takes about 8 minutes.
Reply With Quote

Stop guess-timating. Learn how to estimate and make money! $$$
Mow Time Estimator Lawn Care Price Estimator Mulch and Topsoil Calculator Snow Plow Estimate Calculator


  #42  
Old 05-07-2012, 06:32 AM
mark123's Avatar
mark123 mark123 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Pennsyltucky
Posts: 1,401
Rep Power: 7
mark123 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevef1201 View Post
this size yard takes about 8 minutes.
That's $2/minute which extrapolates to about $120/hour. Now if you could line up a bunch of those all in one stop you could actually get near that amount otherwise you need to consider drive time. My minimum is $20 per mow so I love jobs like that.
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 05-07-2012, 10:28 AM
lawncareftf lawncareftf is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 9
Rep Power: 4
lawncareftf is on a distinguished road
Default Drought

I was reading through this post and wanted to get everyone's feedback on my situation. I'm still very small and I do this part time. I started the business a year ago and focus on only residential lawns. I have about 15 regular clients and all but 1 is a bi-weekly. I haven't pushed to change this because a)I hadn't thought about it and b) we are in one of the worst droughts in history. Without the the rain and under the water restrictions we have most of the lawns I have are barely needing to be mowed every other week. Now I typically charge a little more doing it every other week versus every week ($30 weekly, $40 bi-weekly). So in your opinion should I leave things as they are until the rain comes back or should I start trying to convert everyone to weekly cuts and a monthly fee. I also bill per mowing now not monthly. Thanks
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 05-07-2012, 03:53 PM
mark123's Avatar
mark123 mark123 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Pennsyltucky
Posts: 1,401
Rep Power: 7
mark123 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawncareftf View Post
I was reading through this post and wanted to get everyone's feedback on my situation. I'm still very small and I do this part time. I started the business a year ago and focus on only residential lawns. I have about 15 regular clients and all but 1 is a bi-weekly. I haven't pushed to change this because a)I hadn't thought about it and b) we are in one of the worst droughts in history. Without the the rain and under the water restrictions we have most of the lawns I have are barely needing to be mowed every other week. Now I typically charge a little more doing it every other week versus every week ($30 weekly, $40 bi-weekly). So in your opinion should I leave things as they are until the rain comes back or should I start trying to convert everyone to weekly cuts and a monthly fee. I also bill per mowing now not monthly. Thanks
In my opinion, when you're just starting out you take what you can get and don't make any friends because these are the people you'll eventually phase out for better customers. My first year I took everything and I kept all but two up until this 4th year. I've got a few bi-weekly customers but I've dropped the "on call" lawns. I'm about to drop two bi-weekly lawns for a larger property and perhaps it will fund a bigger mower.
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 05-07-2012, 08:58 PM
Hedgemaster Hedgemaster is offline
new member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 2,772
Rep Power: 0
Hedgemaster is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark123 View Post
In my opinion, when you're just starting out you take what you can get and don't make any friends because these are the people you'll eventually phase out for better customers. My first year I took everything and I kept all but two up until this 4th year. I've got a few bi-weekly customers but I've dropped the "on call" lawns. I'm about to drop two bi-weekly lawns for a larger property and perhaps it will fund a bigger mower.
Makes sense. I'm on season "2" and I'm already refusing that "I'll call you when I need you" bullcrap. Get on my schedule, or get out of my contact list.
There are several clients that I really like as "people" (and they are great clients in general), but they don't pay squat. As I pick up more revenue-generating properties, they will unfortunately have to be cut loose.

Being "nice" by mowing the elderly lady's lawn for pennies may get you through the pearly gates, but it doesn't mean squat to the electric company, gas company, phone company, insurance company...

I just took on another biweekly today. UGH!!! LOL

The ONE positive to accepting them, is that if it's a lawn that isn't overgrown in 2 weeks, you can actually make more money on it. (IF you have the brains to charge MORE FOR BIWEEKLY)

This one was a guy I cut biweekly last year. $60/cut - one of my highest priced jobs. I mowed while the house was on the market. He ended up renting the house and the renters were responsible for the lawn.
He called today - it's back on the market and he wanted to know if I'd like the job again. Heck yeah. It was a beast last year with a 21" mower, but now that I have my walk behind, that $60/cut is much more profitable. (Plus I cut several other lawns on that street, so it's convenient)
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 05-08-2012, 07:03 AM
element009's Avatar
element009 element009 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Ocean County, NJ
Posts: 176
Rep Power: 4
element009 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark123 View Post
That's $2/minute which extrapolates to about $120/hour. Now if you could line up a bunch of those all in one stop you could actually get near that amount otherwise you need to consider drive time. My minimum is $20 per mow so I love jobs like that.
Yeah that's my point, there's got to be a minimum price that covers making the trip.
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 05-08-2012, 08:00 AM
mark123's Avatar
mark123 mark123 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Pennsyltucky
Posts: 1,401
Rep Power: 7
mark123 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by element009 View Post
Yeah that's my point, there's got to be a minimum price that covers making the trip.
I see. My point was that the money is in the small lawns. If you can get a tight and efficient route you can make far more money per hour cutting 40 $20 lawns than you can cutting 20 $40 lawns. Another benefit to having a larger number of smaller lawns is attrition affects you less. In other words, having 100 customer paying $20 each and losing 2 matters little; just replace them. Having 20 customers paying $100 and losing 2 is a bigger deal. That'll give you stomach problems.
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 05-08-2012, 08:22 AM
Hedgemaster Hedgemaster is offline
new member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 2,772
Rep Power: 0
Hedgemaster is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark123 View Post
I see. My point was that the money is in the small lawns. If you can get a tight and efficient route you can make far more money per hour cutting 40 $20 lawns than you can cutting 20 $40 lawns. Another benefit to having a larger number of smaller lawns is attrition affects you less. In other words, having 100 customer paying $20 each and losing 2 matters little; just replace them. Having 20 customers paying $100 and losing 2 is a bigger deal. That'll give you stomach problems.



That's just dumb. I won't drop my gate for less than $100.








Ooops. Wrong forum entirely.


Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 05-09-2012, 07:29 AM
element009's Avatar
element009 element009 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Ocean County, NJ
Posts: 176
Rep Power: 4
element009 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark123 View Post
I see. My point was that the money is in the small lawns. If you can get a tight and efficient route you can make far more money per hour cutting 40 $20 lawns than you can cutting 20 $40 lawns. Another benefit to having a larger number of smaller lawns is attrition affects you less. In other words, having 100 customer paying $20 each and losing 2 matters little; just replace them. Having 20 customers paying $100 and losing 2 is a bigger deal. That'll give you stomach problems.
True. Right now I'm trying to diversify my clientele. I want to have a good mix of both small and large residential accounts. Ultimately , though, I want to add commercial accounts in the mix. They pay on time and honor the contract.
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 05-09-2012, 08:22 PM
lawncareftf lawncareftf is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 9
Rep Power: 4
lawncareftf is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgemaster View Post
Makes sense. I'm on season "2" and I'm already refusing that "I'll call you when I need you" bullcrap. Get on my schedule, or get out of my contact list.
There are several clients that I really like as "people" (and they are great clients in general), but they don't pay squat. As I pick up more revenue-generating properties, they will unfortunately have to be cut loose.

Being "nice" by mowing the elderly lady's lawn for pennies may get you through the pearly gates, but it doesn't mean squat to the electric company, gas company, phone company, insurance company...

I just took on another biweekly today. UGH!!! LOL

The ONE positive to accepting them, is that if it's a lawn that isn't overgrown in 2 weeks, you can actually make more money on it. (IF you have the brains to charge MORE FOR BIWEEKLY)

This one was a guy I cut biweekly last year. $60/cut - one of my highest priced jobs. I mowed while the house was on the market. He ended up renting the house and the renters were responsible for the lawn.
He called today - it's back on the market and he wanted to know if I'd like the job again. Heck yeah. It was a beast last year with a 21" mower, but now that I have my walk behind, that $60/cut is much more profitable. (Plus I cut several other lawns on that street, so it's convenient)
The lawns down here right now are barely growing much less overgrown after two weeks so it works out for me. I do charge a slight bit more for bi-weekly lawns but I also cluster them. When I started up most of my lawns came via my parents neighborhood (where this all began by accident :-)) so they are all within a mile of each other. Several of them I can offload once and do multiple lawns - which saves time and money. I think if the lawns were spread out I might not be as okay keeping them. In fact I did drop one lawn this season because it was an outlyer from ALL my other lawns so it didn't make sense to keep it.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Do you charge a different price for weekly,10 day or 14 day service? cmpenn67 Starting a lawn care business. 24 04-27-2010 10:56 PM
Bi-weekly customers MattLuciano General Talk 6 04-14-2009 12:04 AM
Weekly podcast round table discussions Steve GopherHaul Lawn Care Business Show, Video, Book & Podcast Discussions. 5 04-16-2008 10:30 PM
Calculating Weekly Totals Gopher Software Support Archived Question & Answers - Read Only 1 06-16-2005 07:36 PM
Weekly Activitiy Schedule alpine692003 General Business Discussions 2 04-28-2004 07:42 PM

» Recent Threads
  RatingTitle, Username, & Date Last Post Replies Views
Pressure Washing Like a...
TNTurf
Yesterday 11:47 PM
Today 01:05 AM
by stevef1201
1 10
Easy money
stevef1201
11-14-2013 10:17 AM
Today 01:03 AM
by stevef1201
3 1,211
what the best...
CleanCutsLLC
Today 01:02 AM
Today 01:02 AM
by CleanCutsLLC
0 1
These are the days on...
ExtremeLawncareServices
03-22-2014 09:12 AM
Today 12:44 AM
by ExtremeLawncareServices
89 4,976
Say Hello !!!
Steve
03-19-2007 11:18 AM
Yesterday 11:42 PM
by TNTurf
1,186 322,864
Stuck again!!!!
Greg'slawnandlandscape
Yesterday 11:02 PM
Yesterday 11:02 PM
by Greg'slawnandlandscape
0 20
Need help 30 HP koler...
Shady Grady
Yesterday 03:31 PM
Yesterday 10:50 PM
by Shady Grady
3 58
trimming back shrubs
WesleySnips
07-31-2014 06:14 AM
Yesterday 05:36 PM
by Just for Cuts
5 114
Echo Edger 'Neutral'
WesleySnips
07-25-2014 05:28 PM
Yesterday 01:50 PM
by stevef1201
7 241
Pressure Washing...
WesleySnips
07-31-2014 06:13 PM
Yesterday 01:47 PM
by stevef1201
2 65
Buy a good company at a...
Steve
03-12-2011 06:38 AM
Yesterday 01:44 PM
by Steve
2 1,697
Building credit
Matther777
07-27-2014 05:20 PM
Yesterday 10:29 AM
by Greg'slawnandlandscape
13 322
Employee wont return...
Prolawnofchatt
06-13-2014 03:12 PM
07-31-2014 09:59 PM
by WesleySnips
5 572
Mow and leaf cleanup bid
SGL1
07-29-2014 07:28 PM
07-31-2014 07:14 PM
by SGL1
23 356
Late charge
Simon Abousaada
07-30-2014 07:23 PM
07-31-2014 12:41 PM
by Steve
2 102
Need input on a bid
phlawncare
07-28-2014 08:51 PM
07-31-2014 05:08 AM
by kslawn
7 229
New from Texas
Livingston Lawn Care
07-25-2014 11:17 AM
07-30-2014 01:03 PM
by Steve
5 234
Single tree, mow customer
WesleySnips
06-27-2014 10:12 AM
07-30-2014 12:31 PM
by Steve
17 764
Formulas Used
BaileynSamsMum
07-29-2014 06:40 AM
07-30-2014 12:19 PM
by Steve
3 172
Spreading Weeds?
WesleySnips
07-27-2014 09:46 PM
07-30-2014 06:29 AM
by kslawn
5 205
Will summer ever come
ExtremeLawncareServices
07-29-2014 08:27 AM
07-29-2014 08:29 PM
by SGL1
5 157
From Concord NC
SouthernRootsLawnCare
07-26-2014 02:34 PM
07-29-2014 02:28 PM
by Steve
3 166
Have you ever had to...
SouthernRootsLawnCare
07-26-2014 02:41 PM
07-29-2014 02:28 PM
by Steve
4 222
Left handed edging with...
SGL1
07-23-2014 08:59 PM
07-28-2014 07:39 AM
by SGL1
15 409
Echo PE 266 edger
stevef1201
07-01-2014 01:28 PM
07-27-2014 10:14 PM
by WesleySnips
5 408
Texas lawn care company...
Livingston Lawn Care
07-25-2014 11:29 AM
07-27-2014 08:16 AM
by Just for Cuts
7 247
need some help geting...
dalvan0
07-13-2014 09:28 PM
07-26-2014 04:39 PM
by BLC7
7 395
new trailer help
mattthelawnguy
07-11-2014 08:21 PM
07-25-2014 06:31 PM
by mattthelawnguy
13 601
You know it;s gonna be a...
stevef1201
07-25-2014 08:50 AM
07-25-2014 01:34 PM
by Steve
1 157
Customer letters
kslawn
07-23-2014 06:17 AM
07-25-2014 01:20 PM
by Steve
5 291
Got my first lawn job...
SGL1
06-11-2014 09:19 PM
07-24-2014 07:09 PM
by SGL1
29 1,389
Need help determining...
Jbss861
07-20-2014 02:33 PM
07-24-2014 01:11 PM
by Steve
13 477
Should I ?
googus
07-22-2014 04:06 PM
07-24-2014 12:10 PM
by Steve
4 310
My First Apartment...
SSLCtn
05-26-2014 10:17 PM
07-24-2014 06:46 AM
by kslawn
15 1,002
Crop Rotation Techniques...
eastsidelandcare
07-17-2014 03:47 PM
07-24-2014 06:38 AM
by kslawn
3 284
Selling lawns like...
eastsidelandcare
07-17-2014 03:51 PM
07-24-2014 06:28 AM
by kslawn
3 346
Scag new "Eliminator"......
ExtremeLawncareServices
07-20-2014 10:45 AM
07-23-2014 05:37 PM
by Just for Cuts
9 411
need professional advice...
Fiddlers_green
07-20-2014 07:21 PM
07-23-2014 12:42 PM
by Steve
3 290
new to me box truck
jrayb39667
03-06-2014 10:20 PM
07-23-2014 12:40 PM
by Steve
15 1,531
Lawn Service back in...
LawnCareMan280
07-18-2014 09:00 PM
07-23-2014 11:48 AM
by Steve
4 323
Overspray?
stevef1201
07-21-2014 04:20 PM
07-23-2014 11:39 AM
by Steve
3 226
Hello Everyone! Newbie...
SLKlawn
07-17-2014 06:22 PM
07-22-2014 01:53 PM
by Steve
6 370
Proper height for lawn
rob lederhilger
05-26-2014 08:01 AM
07-21-2014 02:53 PM
by LawnDoctor
9 736
Blade sharpener
Just for Cuts
07-04-2014 12:31 PM
07-21-2014 01:48 PM
by Steve
9 604
What's my business worth?
Chaz
07-16-2014 01:35 PM
07-21-2014 01:45 PM
by Steve
4 382
1.5 Acre Jungle
WesleySnips
07-15-2014 05:57 PM
07-20-2014 11:31 AM
by ExtremeLawncareServices
21 730
Gopher schedule software
Ray
07-18-2014 04:13 PM
07-18-2014 04:13 PM
by Ray
0 280
2006 Chevy fuel pump...
KevinsLawns
07-17-2014 08:39 PM
07-18-2014 11:51 AM
by Steve
1 260
Halfway point of year!
Steve
07-01-2014 12:08 PM
07-18-2014 11:38 AM
by Steve
14 837
I got told to leave and...
gwilson98
06-16-2014 02:07 PM
07-17-2014 11:43 AM
by Steve
16 1,160
» Popular Tags
4wd 34'' advertisement apartment complex article marketing auger bid blades butterfly gardens charge credit card customers exmark ferris financing first truck georgia gopherhaul grass gravely growing a lawn care business health holiday holiday decorating how much to charge john deere quik trac kansas city lawn lawn care lawn care business podcast lawn care business seo lawn care business show lawn care business website lawn care business website seo lawn care website lawn care website seo leaf lighting marketing mechanic monthly mow mulch mulch price new and restored landscapes new buisness new business organize payment podcast property management company pto savannah scag schedule scripts seo social media starting a business start up lawn care business stihl theft toro toro grand stand trailer tree care trimmer rack walker winter winter services
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.1.0

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:14 AM.


(C) 2011 Riggs Publications - Terms of use & Privacy Policy

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:14 AM.

(C) 2011 Riggs Publications - Terms of use & Privacy Policy