Lawn Care Business Forum Lawn Care Business Book Lawn Care Business Blog Lawn Care Software
Home Forum Contract & Flyer Templates Blog Software Videos Podcast Calculators / Estimators Store Mower Review Design It Yourself Lawn Business School

Go Back   GopherHaul Landscaping & Lawn Care Business Marketing Forum > Just starting your lawn care or landscaping business? > Community Assistance

Community Assistance Community questions, comments, and suggestions. Problems posting? Email me.

Business is Good


Community Assistance

Community questions, comments, and suggestions. Problems posting? Email me.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #11  
Old 08-25-2011, 09:22 PM
Hedgemaster Hedgemaster is offline
new member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 2,772
Rep Power: 0
Hedgemaster is on a distinguished road
Default

Are you going to edit it to sound less "dicklike"? LOL!

Seriously. I understand where you're coming from, but if I read that as a potential client, I'd throw it in the trash and call someone else. Too much focus on the "negative" in that.

I wish I had the time to sort through it and change the wording to say the same things, but in a less "hostile" manner.
Reply With Quote

Stop guess-timating. Learn how to estimate and make money! $$$
Mow Time Estimator Lawn Care Price Estimator Mulch and Topsoil Calculator Snow Plow Estimate Calculator


  #12  
Old 08-25-2011, 11:01 PM
CHEESE2009 CHEESE2009 is offline
Dr. Scott - Ruler of the Underworld
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Switzerland, Grindelwald
Age: 75
Posts: 4,473
Rep Power: 0
CHEESE2009 is on a distinguished road
Default

Lawn care business tipsLawn Care Business Book
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgemaster View Post
Are you going to edit it to sound less "dicklike"? LOL!

Seriously. I understand where you're coming from, but if I read that as a potential client, I'd throw it in the trash and call someone else. Too much focus on the "negative" in that.

I wish I had the time to sort through it and change the wording to say the same things, but in a less "hostile" manner.
I have no idea how. Frig.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 08-26-2011, 02:36 PM
Steve's Avatar
Steve Steve is online now
Administrator
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 38,067
Rep Power: 10
Steve has disabled reputation
Default

Quote:
Seriously. I understand where you're coming from, but if I read that as a potential client, I'd throw it in the trash and call someone else. Too much focus on the "negative" in that.
Do you think the concept is flawed or is it just the wording of the letter?

Would there be a better way to handle this?
__________________
- Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 08-29-2011, 12:51 PM
CHEESE2009 CHEESE2009 is offline
Dr. Scott - Ruler of the Underworld
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Switzerland, Grindelwald
Age: 75
Posts: 4,473
Rep Power: 0
CHEESE2009 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Do you think the concept is flawed or is it just the wording of the letter?

Would there be a better way to handle this?

Every person who knows me, says I have the face of an A-Hole. Having a letter that makes me look like so isn't too good.


I'm clueless to what I should add, and I would love some assistance!
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 08-30-2011, 12:28 PM
Steve's Avatar
Steve Steve is online now
Administrator
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 38,067
Rep Power: 10
Steve has disabled reputation
Default

I am wondering if it is the customers more than it is you. Maybe there is just a larger percentage of late payers/ no payers in your group than there is in other lawn care company customer rosters.

If that is the case, maybe the problem customers need to be replaced and that would solve it.
__________________
- Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 08-31-2011, 10:18 PM
CHEESE2009 CHEESE2009 is offline
Dr. Scott - Ruler of the Underworld
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Switzerland, Grindelwald
Age: 75
Posts: 4,473
Rep Power: 0
CHEESE2009 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
I am wondering if it is the customers more than it is you. Maybe there is just a larger percentage of late payers/ no payers in your group than there is in other lawn care company customer rosters.

If that is the case, maybe the problem customers need to be replaced and that would solve it.

Yeah, some of it is my fault too. Well, I mean I don't make it any better.

For one, I finally spoke to a person who just admitted to being like I am. If you know what the person wants, why answer the phone?

Sure there is a difference, as I am running a business, but, I have this HUGE problem with answering my phone, it's always some sort of favor I have to do.

100% of my calls are for me to go out of my way for a client, "Can you come earlier" bla bla.... After awhile, you end up looking bad... It's really not fair!


I hate answering the phone, because I personally do not want to go out of my way to make my life harder for a client who doesn't pay on time. When I answer a call, I end up feeling guilty and trying to explain my views will offend them... I can't win!

I don't want to upset the client, but it's a lose lose. No solution other than spending money I don't have on a receptionist.


I hate answering calls where the customer just wants to know my whereabouts, it's like they are obsessed! I come when I come, and that's usually on the day I'm hired to come on! COME ON!!!! LOL

Last edited by CHEESE2009; 08-31-2011 at 10:21 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 09-01-2011, 12:14 PM
Steve's Avatar
Steve Steve is online now
Administrator
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 38,067
Rep Power: 10
Steve has disabled reputation
Default

Is there something you can do about not liking to answer the phone? Is there anyone else that could help you with this?
__________________
- Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 09-02-2011, 06:51 AM
Ducke's Avatar
Ducke Ducke is offline
new member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: The Duck Pond
Posts: 844
Rep Power: 0
Ducke is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHEESE2009 View Post
Yeah, some of it is my fault too. Well, I mean I don't make it any better.

For one, I finally spoke to a person who just admitted to being like I am. If you know what the person wants, why answer the phone?

Sure there is a difference, as I am running a business, but, I have this HUGE problem with answering my phone, it's always some sort of favor I have to do.

100% of my calls are for me to go out of my way for a client, "Can you come earlier" bla bla.... After awhile, you end up looking bad... It's really not fair!


I hate answering the phone, because I personally do not want to go out of my way to make my life harder for a client who doesn't pay on time. When I answer a call, I end up feeling guilty and trying to explain my views will offend them... I can't win!

I don't want to upset the client, but it's a lose lose. No solution other than spending money I don't have on a receptionist.


I hate answering calls where the customer just wants to know my whereabouts, it's like they are obsessed! I come when I come, and that's usually on the day I'm hired to come on! COME ON!!!! LOL
Do like I do
Caller ID and Voice Mail.
Both are well worth the extra monthly charge.
and my police on Private #s is if you don't want me to know who's calling then I don't want to find out who is calling and I let it go it voice mail.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 09-02-2011, 07:46 PM
CHEESE2009 CHEESE2009 is offline
Dr. Scott - Ruler of the Underworld
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Switzerland, Grindelwald
Age: 75
Posts: 4,473
Rep Power: 0
CHEESE2009 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducke View Post
Do like I do
Caller ID and Voice Mail.
Both are well worth the extra monthly charge.
and my police on Private #s is if you don't want me to know who's calling then I don't want to find out who is calling and I let it go it voice mail.

I agree!

Also, a good tip of mine;

Get all of your clients phone numbers (cell, work, home).

If they call from anywhere but their home, 100% of the time it's because they want you to do a favor.

If they call from home, there is a chance they have your money... From experience, every call is never about my money. LOL. Just an idea that might work for others, but not me.


_____

Oh crap I forgot to take a pic of this street... I couldn't do two lawns because I in NO way can get my truck and trailer through, if I could, there is no way I could get out of this street.... The construction is so bad down here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 09-03-2011, 01:19 PM
TLC131 TLC131 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Lake Zurich, IL
Posts: 38
Rep Power: 6
TLC131 is on a distinguished road
Default

I also had a bi-polar picky lady that I no longer service and life has been so much better. Too many stories of me trying to be polite and she takes it wrong?

Last year I ran over a drain cover when I was mowing, and these people you dont really want to tell them u broke something. So I replaced it for free without telling her. 2 weeks later she complained that the cover wasnt exactly the same style and she couldnt get it off. The funny part is that I put tape around the base so it would fit more snug and I wouldnt have to keep putting it back on. LOL

Then, over the winter I plowed her driveway and sometimes she is nice but still irritating. During the huge blizzard (2 feet), I went back to customers drives a couple times to clear the entrances. She called a couple times which I guess is fine, but one time she got all emotional on me and was kinda like "Why did you come by so fast(hard, cause there was a lot of snow) and clear my entrance, you dont have a reason to be mad with me, I dont appreciate that."? I had been plowing for 25hrs at that point but I called her back and resolved it. SHOOT ME!

Bottom line is shes gone now so life is seriously so much better. I don't know why we put up with these people when they are such small customers $$.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
opinion on Business name Good or Bad????? brian77833 Starting a lawn care business. 10 06-06-2009 11:08 PM
good program for business? lazyhusband General Business Discussions 4 02-18-2009 06:20 PM
Good or bad business idea? Steve General Business Discussions 2 05-29-2007 09:58 AM
Ski business looks bad, landscaping looks good Steve General Business Discussions 0 01-06-2007 02:18 PM
A good add on for a landscape business? Steve General Business Discussions 0 08-01-2006 10:40 AM

» Recent Threads
  RatingTitle, Username, & Date Last Post Replies Views
Any successful one man...
WarriorLandscapingCAN
09-26-2016 06:04 AM
Today 07:16 AM
by Chilehead
2 59
What were your top...
WarriorLandscapingCAN
09-13-2016 05:10 PM
09-26-2016 05:43 PM
by Steve
4 376
Enter to win Free...
arthur712
09-25-2016 11:28 AM
09-26-2016 05:41 PM
by Steve
1 51
I have a new show!
Chilehead
09-19-2016 06:50 PM
09-23-2016 05:45 AM
by Chilehead
7 144
First commercial estimate
WarriorLandscapingCAN
09-19-2016 12:42 PM
09-22-2016 05:42 PM
by acrajchel
7 153
Larger projects - Labor...
WarriorLandscapingCAN
09-18-2016 07:38 AM
09-21-2016 06:51 AM
by Chilehead
5 170
I need some business...
Firehouselawn@hotmail.com
07-06-2016 05:42 AM
09-16-2016 01:50 PM
by DLC123
5 625
Is it too late?
Cpadgett
05-28-2016 09:10 AM
09-16-2016 01:35 PM
by DLC123
15 1,336
Not a newbie just...
lwlawn
09-09-2016 02:32 PM
09-16-2016 01:25 PM
by DLC123
2 524
I'm making stupid money...
WarriorLandscapingCAN
08-07-2016 07:07 PM
09-16-2016 01:15 PM
by DLC123
6 1,413
Lawn problem
magiccc
09-14-2016 11:37 AM
09-15-2016 06:14 AM
by Chilehead
2 293
What kind of seed do you...
Bradcook21
09-02-2016 02:58 PM
09-12-2016 07:18 AM
by joshp
4 927
Commercial Flail Mower...
Chickenthief
09-05-2016 04:46 PM
09-09-2016 04:50 PM
by Steve
7 798
Newbie here
paulgrant
09-07-2016 04:52 PM
09-09-2016 12:01 AM
by paulgrant
2 630
Hello, New Member Here,...
Chickenthief
09-05-2016 06:19 PM
09-08-2016 09:35 PM
by Chickenthief
6 754
Pricing fall cleanups?
WarriorLandscapingCAN
09-06-2016 11:17 AM
09-07-2016 04:06 PM
by Steve
3 724
Say Hello !!!
Steve
03-19-2007 11:18 AM
09-06-2016 05:25 PM
by Steve
1,255 443,854
My Invention
biglee
01-11-2015 06:51 PM
08-31-2016 02:47 PM
by Steve
21 3,284
fliers
joshp
08-19-2016 03:23 PM
08-30-2016 07:47 PM
by SC93
11 2,144
fert/lawn programs
joshp
08-28-2016 10:43 AM
08-30-2016 03:27 PM
by acrajchel
2 1,136
» Popular Tags
annual apartment become an entrepreneur best mower be your own boss bidding business business education business help business management complex contractor hacks contracts convention converting customer dethatcher edging entrepreneur entrepreneur education estimate estimates fuel problems fuel pump half moon blade intro introduction jjandm lawncare l.t.rich landscape landscape design landscaping landscaping design company landscaping richmond va landscping lawn lawncare lawnservice lowering grade marketing mulch planting raising grade residential lawn care richmond va richmond virginia lawn care seasonal snowblower snow plowing snow shovel sprayer start a business start a lawn care business start business start up toro timecutter townhome tree tree service video web design websites what to charge work from home z-max z-spray
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.1.0

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:15 PM.


(C) 2011 Riggs Publications - Terms of use & Privacy Policy

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:15 PM.

(C) 2011 Riggs Publications - Terms of use & Privacy Policy