Lawn Care Business Forum Lawn Care Business Book Lawn Care Business Blog Lawn Care Software
Home Forum Contract & Flyer Templates Blog Software Videos Podcast Calculators / Estimators Store Mower Review Design It Yourself Lawn Business School

Go Back   GopherHaul Landscaping & Lawn Care Business Marketing Forum > Lawn Care, Landscaping, and Property Management Forums > Online Lawn Care Estimator - Help me bid this job

Online Lawn Care Estimator - Help me bid this job
If you need help coming up with a bid for a lawn care, landscaping, tree cutting or irrigation job, post the specifics here and pictures of the job site. If you are looking to learn about bidding, review the jobs posted here.

Shrub Mess Reclaimed


Online Lawn Care Estimator - Help me bid this job

If you need help coming up with a bid for a lawn care, landscaping, tree cutting or irrigation job, post the specifics here and pictures of the job site. If you are looking to learn about bidding, review the jobs posted here.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #11  
Old 07-11-2011, 12:21 AM
Hedgemaster Hedgemaster is offline
new member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 2,772
Rep Power: 0
Hedgemaster is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducke View Post
Hedge
How do you like the Sthil Trimmer/ weed whacker.
My old Sthil weed whacker is on the way out and I was looking at buying a new one and may consider one of the combo units.

Graham

I'm very happy with the Stihl.
I bought it last summer and it's been good to me. Lots of power and starts easily.

Note that this isn't a Kombi System. Just about everyone assumes that it is because they see the attachment and it looks almost the same, but note the shaft - no "split".
I was going to get the Kombi System, but right off the bat it's $100 more (than the FS90R) if you are looking to start with the "powerhead and a string trimmer attachment. Since the dealer knew I was interested in "attachments", he steered me towards the FS90R, as it has a detachable head and accepts various gearbox attachments while keeping the strength of a straight shaft.

For me, personally, the only disadvantage (to the FS90R) is that if I want the pole pruner (chainsaw) attachment, there is no additional "reach" beyond the length of the shaft as it is. With the Kombi System, you can get an extension to give you a longer pole/added reach. Otherwise this unit takes almost all the same types of attachments. (except they don't have half a "shaft" attached to them - these attachments are not compatible w/Kombi System btw)

Here's a thread with some better pics of the trimmer attachment.
http://www.gopherforum.com/showthread.php?t=13790

I've gotten a lot of use from the trimmer attachment... well worth the money.
Reply With Quote

Stop guess-timating. Learn how to estimate and make money! $$$
Mow Time Estimator Lawn Care Price Estimator Mulch and Topsoil Calculator Snow Plow Estimate Calculator


  #12  
Old 07-11-2011, 03:55 AM
cruzgardening cruzgardening is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 277
Rep Power: 6
cruzgardening is on a distinguished road
Default

Lawn care business tipsLawn Care Business Book
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgemaster View Post
I'm very happy with the Stihl.
I bought it last summer and it's been good to me. Lots of power and starts easily.

Note that this isn't a Kombi System. Just about everyone assumes that it is because they see the attachment and it looks almost the same, but note the shaft - no "split".
I was going to get the Kombi System, but right off the bat it's $100 more (than the FS90R) if you are looking to start with the "powerhead and a string trimmer attachment. Since the dealer knew I was interested in "attachments", he steered me towards the FS90R, as it has a detachable head and accepts various gearbox attachments while keeping the strength of a straight shaft.

For me, personally, the only disadvantage (to the FS90R) is that if I want the pole pruner (chainsaw) attachment, there is no additional "reach" beyond the length of the shaft as it is. With the Kombi System, you can get an extension to give you a longer pole/added reach. Otherwise this unit takes almost all the same types of attachments. (except they don't have half a "shaft" attached to them - these attachments are not compatible w/Kombi System btw)

Here's a thread with some better pics of the trimmer attachment.
http://www.gopherforum.com/showthread.php?t=13790

I've gotten a lot of use from the trimmer attachment... well worth the money.
i have the same stihl but i have not used any attachments is it hard to add them? i mean what kind of toold do u use to change the head and add the trimmer?
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 07-11-2011, 09:11 AM
Hedgemaster Hedgemaster is offline
new member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 2,772
Rep Power: 0
Hedgemaster is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruzgardening View Post
i have the same stihl but i have not used any attachments is it hard to add them? i mean what kind of toold do u use to change the head and add the trimmer?
If it takes you more than 30 seconds to swap them out you probably shouldn't be allowed to operate a motor vehicle, let alone power tools.

Look at your Stihl. (or the pics in the link above) See those two "screws" on the top of the string trimmer head where the shaft ends? Take the included tool (seen in pics in the link above - it's essentially a "star" screwdriver) and loosen both of them about a half turn, then slide the head off. Slip the attachment of your choosing onto the shaft and tighten the two screws. Done.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 07-11-2011, 06:40 PM
Growing Green Growing Green is offline
new member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 323
Rep Power: 0
Growing Green is on a distinguished road
Default

I have the 110R Kombi system that I bought a couple of months ago. I have the straight lawn edger, adjustable hedge trimmer, straight trimmer and the pole pruner. It is awesome!!! Saves me a ton of time and takes about 20 seconds to switch out.

Matt
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 07-12-2011, 09:35 PM
Ducke's Avatar
Ducke Ducke is offline
new member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: The Duck Pond
Posts: 844
Rep Power: 0
Ducke is on a distinguished road
Default

On a slightly different topic I was out mowing yesterday and while I was driving down a small side street I saw a women trimming her hedge with her $25.00 HD Electric Weed Wacker
Funny thing is it actually looked good
I didn't have my camera as it was charging and I was so stunned by what I saw I forgot that my new phone has one in it.
Man it was funny here she was holding the whipper snipper by the throat and had tape over the trigger to keep it going and trimming the top which was at chest height.
Now I find myself wanting to go down the street again to see if I can catch her at it again.
What some people will do.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 07-13-2011, 12:15 AM
Hedgemaster Hedgemaster is offline
new member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 2,772
Rep Power: 0
Hedgemaster is on a distinguished road
Default

Hahaha!

I guess if the shrubs are thin enough you could get away with it, but that's an eye injury waiting to happen for sure!

On that note, you should have seen the contraption I rigged up to trim the top of a huge shrub next to my deck.
The deck is about 10' off the ground (sorry, I don't know what that is in "Canadian" ) and there used to be a huge shrub roughly 7' in diameter growing right next to it. I liked to keep the shrub height trimmed to about the top of the railing on the deck. The trouble was that there wasn't a safe place to put a step ladder near it due to the sloping ground, and I couldn't quite reach the far side of it while standing on the deck, so I rigged up a "pole trimmer".

I took an 8' furring strip (board about 1"x3") and slipped it through the front handle of my Black and Decker electric hedge trimmers, with the end resting against the "guard" of the trimmer. I then duct taped ( ) the snot out of it to attach it and drove some drywall screws into a few spots to help hold it in position, then duct taped that part as well.

Awesome. Now I have a hedge trimmer attached to an 8' board - PERFECT!
Well, not yet anyway... the thing was too "front heavy" (duh) so I drove a few more screws in near the "front" of the furring strip and tied a length of rope around that point to be used to support the front of said contraption with my left hand while holding the back part of the board with my right.

OK, so after a "test reach", I decided I had the rope attached at a good "balance point", and then plugged the thing into the extension cord. I used a twist tie to hold the trigger in the "on" position, and I duct taped the cord to the board to keep it out of the way, and then went to get my 6' step ladder.
LOL! Nothing says "danger" like swinging electric-powered gardening tools around while standing 4' up a step ladder at the edge of a deck that's 10' off the ground!!!

My wife couldn't watch.

It actually worked like a charm! I went up the ladder I had placed at the edge of the deck, and was able to use the rope with my left hand to control where the trimmer went. I just "swung" it back and forth, while holding onto the board with my right hand! Haha! Genius!
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 07-13-2011, 04:20 PM
Steve's Avatar
Steve Steve is online now
Administrator
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 37,823
Rep Power: 10
Steve has disabled reputation
Default

Could you show us a picture of this? This sounds interesting.
__________________
- Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 07-14-2011, 12:16 AM
cruzgardening cruzgardening is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 277
Rep Power: 6
cruzgardening is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgemaster View Post
Hahaha!

I guess if the shrubs are thin enough you could get away with it, but that's an eye injury waiting to happen for sure!

On that note, you should have seen the contraption I rigged up to trim the top of a huge shrub next to my deck.
The deck is about 10' off the ground (sorry, I don't know what that is in "Canadian" ) and there used to be a huge shrub roughly 7' in diameter growing right next to it. I liked to keep the shrub height trimmed to about the top of the railing on the deck. The trouble was that there wasn't a safe place to put a step ladder near it due to the sloping ground, and I couldn't quite reach the far side of it while standing on the deck, so I rigged up a "pole trimmer".

I took an 8' furring strip (board about 1"x3") and slipped it through the front handle of my Black and Decker electric hedge trimmers, with the end resting against the "guard" of the trimmer. I then duct taped ( ) the snot out of it to attach it and drove some drywall screws into a few spots to help hold it in position, then duct taped that part as well.

Awesome. Now I have a hedge trimmer attached to an 8' board - PERFECT!
Well, not yet anyway... the thing was too "front heavy" (duh) so I drove a few more screws in near the "front" of the furring strip and tied a length of rope around that point to be used to support the front of said contraption with my left hand while holding the back part of the board with my right.

OK, so after a "test reach", I decided I had the rope attached at a good "balance point", and then plugged the thing into the extension cord. I used a twist tie to hold the trigger in the "on" position, and I duct taped the cord to the board to keep it out of the way, and then went to get my 6' step ladder.
LOL! Nothing says "danger" like swinging electric-powered gardening tools around while standing 4' up a step ladder at the edge of a deck that's 10' off the ground!!!

My wife couldn't watch.

It actually worked like a charm! I went up the ladder I had placed at the edge of the deck, and was able to use the rope with my left hand to control where the trimmer went. I just "swung" it back and forth, while holding onto the board with my right hand! Haha! Genius!
haha a man has to do what a man has to do! haha sounds like fun :P
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bush & Shrub Installation clandscaping44 Starting a lawn care business. 14 07-11-2011 11:00 PM
shrub warranty whlineman Tree Care, Irrigation, Landscaping, Hardscapes 5 03-28-2011 06:42 PM
Shrub pruning bidding Jimmy53 Online Lawn Care Estimator - Help me bid this job 2 05-31-2009 09:54 PM
How to price shrub jobs? grassmowers08 Online Lawn Care Estimator - Help me bid this job 1 10-07-2008 08:56 AM

» Recent Threads
  RatingTitle, Username, & Date Last Post Replies Views
hello
2menandmowers
02-10-2016 07:32 AM
Today 04:02 PM
by Chilehead
3 88
Most requested days for...
Just for Cuts
02-12-2016 06:44 AM
Yesterday 08:46 AM
by Just for Cuts
3 81
Best two stroke oil
Greg_TopYardServices
02-08-2016 07:53 PM
Yesterday 07:09 AM
by Just for Cuts
12 219
back surgery
Bradcook21
01-28-2016 08:51 PM
02-11-2016 02:04 PM
by Bradcook21
16 473
Help Spread the word...
Sprinkler Buddy
12-02-2015 08:41 AM
02-11-2016 08:19 AM
by Sprinkler Buddy
19 1,378
Howdy Yall !!!
B&C
02-10-2016 10:06 AM
02-11-2016 01:05 AM
by Steve
1 73
Hello everyone!!!
1newkirk05
02-09-2016 03:16 PM
02-10-2016 04:05 PM
by jrs.landscaping
7 167
Tine Rake Detaching vs...
wigglesworth
02-09-2016 05:32 PM
02-09-2016 07:43 PM
by Steve
1 83
Finding open bids?!?
C&DPropertyManagement
02-07-2016 01:48 AM
02-09-2016 07:11 PM
by Steve
3 171
hello all
romanlandscape
01-29-2016 03:46 PM
02-07-2016 10:20 AM
by Bradcook21
6 269
Lawn Care Book Ranked #1
Steve
02-06-2016 12:36 AM
02-06-2016 12:36 AM
by Steve
0 136
Hi
Sellers Lawn Care
02-02-2016 01:48 PM
02-05-2016 08:03 AM
by Sellers Lawn Care
4 202
Collecting payments from...
Niagara Mowing
02-03-2016 05:21 PM
02-05-2016 08:00 AM
by Niagara Mowing
7 270
SMS assist? The good,...
jcurr33
01-27-2016 10:24 PM
02-04-2016 11:53 PM
by Steve
5 305
I need some help...
Anise
02-04-2016 01:39 PM
02-04-2016 11:51 PM
by Steve
3 170
Customers dodging the...
Rocky
11-06-2015 06:22 AM
02-04-2016 03:41 AM
by C&DPropertyManagement
7 1,552
Offering a "Trial"...
wybut076
02-01-2016 06:27 PM
02-03-2016 08:26 PM
by Just for Cuts
7 290
Iowa Caucus Predictions?
Steve
02-01-2016 06:31 PM
02-03-2016 12:40 AM
by Steve
1 139
Laying White River Rock
DiamondLawnCare
02-01-2016 08:27 PM
02-03-2016 12:17 AM
by Steve
1 165
Networking for a...
jcurr33
01-30-2016 09:26 PM
02-01-2016 06:27 PM
by Steve
4 238
Customer giving a 1099?
apmAkron
01-27-2016 07:22 PM
01-31-2016 08:55 PM
by Chilehead
6 301
happy to be here
redrobin
01-29-2016 10:45 AM
01-31-2016 08:44 PM
by Steve
1 177
Thought's on an "E-Z...
jcurr33
01-27-2016 10:48 PM
01-31-2016 08:38 PM
by Steve
4 278
Changes
Knaubone
01-30-2016 10:56 PM
01-31-2016 08:31 PM
by Steve
1 167
Thoughts on this Exmark...
googus
01-28-2016 04:24 PM
01-28-2016 08:09 PM
by Chilehead
1 191
1st year in
jcurr33
10-18-2015 05:07 PM
01-28-2016 07:49 PM
by Chilehead
6 4,187
Need opinion on zero...
Mr. Mow
01-24-2016 05:42 PM
01-28-2016 07:41 PM
by Chilehead
10 402
Opinion on liquid vs...
Bradcook21
01-25-2016 02:03 PM
01-28-2016 07:38 PM
by Chilehead
9 352
Finding property size
Gageslawncare
01-25-2016 11:08 AM
01-28-2016 12:05 PM
by Gageslawncare
10 380
Tiger TG 2661 Commercial...
lawnman1959
01-25-2016 08:12 PM
01-27-2016 07:57 PM
by Just for Cuts
5 280
Spouse as a dependent?
Steve
01-26-2016 01:51 AM
01-27-2016 10:44 AM
by Chilehead
3 236
Hello All
C&DPropertyManagement
01-23-2016 12:21 PM
01-26-2016 01:24 AM
by Steve
1 207
Credit Cards - What's in...
Shark1611
06-16-2015 04:04 PM
01-23-2016 03:43 PM
by C&DPropertyManagement
17 7,754
Start My Own Business?
mowandblow1980
01-12-2016 08:43 PM
01-19-2016 07:00 PM
by Steve
12 692
State of the nation 2016.
Steve
01-12-2016 12:05 AM
01-19-2016 06:57 PM
by Steve
6 429
little help? first big...
Brian3137
12-31-2015 12:39 PM
01-19-2016 06:54 PM
by Steve
23 1,163
Hi everybody...
Greg_TopYardServices
01-14-2016 08:10 AM
01-19-2016 02:47 PM
by SC93
12 504
What's your next...
Steve
05-15-2015 12:54 PM
01-17-2016 08:48 PM
by Homeland unlimited
25 7,980
Plow controller problems
scaypa
01-12-2016 05:49 PM
01-16-2016 10:46 AM
by scaypa
4 333
Say Hello !!!
Steve
03-19-2007 12:18 PM
01-15-2016 07:23 PM
by tannerduncan
1,244 428,347
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.1.0

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:22 PM.


(C) 2011 Riggs Publications - Terms of use & Privacy Policy

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:22 PM.

(C) 2011 Riggs Publications - Terms of use & Privacy Policy