Lawn Care Business Forum Lawn Care Business Book Lawn Care Business Blog Lawn Care Software
Home Forum Contract & Flyer Templates Blog Software Videos Podcast Calculators / Estimators Store Mower Review Design It Yourself Lawn Business School

Go Back   GopherHaul Landscaping & Lawn Care Business Marketing Forum > Lawn Care, Landscaping, and Property Management Forums > Tree Care, Irrigation, Landscaping, Hardscapes

Tree Care, Irrigation, Landscaping, Hardscapes
Discuss issues dealing with landscapes, hardscapes, exterior landscape lighting and lighting fixtures, lawn irrigation, sprinklers, sprinkler heads, mulch, retaining walls, etc.

Plants, Mulch, Trees, Etc.


Tree Care, Irrigation, Landscaping, Hardscapes

Discuss issues dealing with landscapes, hardscapes, exterior landscape lighting and lighting fixtures, lawn irrigation, sprinklers, sprinkler heads, mulch, retaining walls, etc.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 06-06-2011, 12:30 PM
Shark1611 Shark1611 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Texas Hill Country
Posts: 374
Rep Power: 6
Shark1611 is on a distinguished road
Default Plants, Mulch, Trees, Etc.

Here comes another question that I am sure you pros will find funny. But being new at this I have been getting my plants from Home Depot and Lowes. We are a small town and do not have much to shop from. I asked the Lowes department head for a discount in that I bought a pallet of mulch, and a large about of plants but she said no way. Is this how it is in that we who do this for a living pay the same as Mary and Bob on a weekend?

I do like the one year warranty on the plants but thought I would get discounts like when I bought lumber from them.

Thank you for your help!
Reply With Quote

Stop guess-timating. Learn how to estimate and make money! $$$
Mow Time Estimator Lawn Care Price Estimator Mulch and Topsoil Calculator Snow Plow Estimate Calculator


  #2  
Old 06-06-2011, 12:48 PM
Fisher Fisher is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: White Bluff, TN
Posts: 156
Rep Power: 6
Fisher is on a distinguished road
Default

Lawn care business tipsLawn Care Business Book
I get discounts for bulk Items from Lowes and HD under my contractor account and there are restrictions and minimums. However, I do not buy much in the way of plants or mulch from them. In Tennessee to get a discount for plants from nurseries and legally the state requires that you have a Landscaper certificate ($200) and track all your live plant purchases as well as sod. Some nurseries will simply give a 20% discount even with out the certificate and even without the discount are usually cheaper than a chain store.

Try talking to someone else at lowes, considering they often have a sale on mulch at $2.50 per bag it shouldn't be hard to get a discount from regular price on the mulch when buying 75 bags on the pallet. even at 2.50 per bag of 2 cu.ft x 75 would be 150 cubic feet (just under 6 yards) for $187.50 plus tax. Where my full 6yds bulk mulch would run about $120-130 + tax
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-06-2011, 10:23 PM
Shark1611 Shark1611 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Texas Hill Country
Posts: 374
Rep Power: 6
Shark1611 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisher View Post
I get discounts for bulk Items from Lowes and HD under my contractor account and there are restrictions and minimums. However, I do not buy much in the way of plants or mulch from them. In Tennessee to get a discount for plants from nurseries and legally the state requires that you have a Landscaper certificate ($200) and track all your live plant purchases as well as sod. Some nurseries will simply give a 20% discount even with out the certificate and even without the discount are usually cheaper than a chain store.

Try talking to someone else at lowes, considering they often have a sale on mulch at $2.50 per bag it shouldn't be hard to get a discount from regular price on the mulch when buying 75 bags on the pallet. even at 2.50 per bag of 2 cu.ft x 75 would be 150 cubic feet (just under 6 yards) for $187.50 plus tax. Where my full 6yds bulk mulch would run about $120-130 + tax
Hey thanks so much. I did buy the pallet while it was on sell but when it came to the plants I got zero discount. I do know a place that has the bulk mulch and I could try that out. I was thinking the labor cost of digging it out of a trailer vs. dumping out of a bag would save me labor and time.

QUESTION: I have another bed that I need to do for the city. It was full of weeds and crab grass so i killed it all out with round up. Is it best to till it up and then plant my new plants followed by mulch and then spot spray round up when weeds come up?

Thank you again for your help. Just maybe one day I will be the one helping someone else.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-06-2011, 10:49 PM
Fisher Fisher is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: White Bluff, TN
Posts: 156
Rep Power: 6
Fisher is on a distinguished road
Default

I would usually wait about 7 days after killing out a bed and then till and treat again and try to wait another seven days before plantings. That's me though not sure about the others. A good 4 inch layer of mulch will greatly help deter any surviving roots or seed below from coming through.

Using a snow shovel on a flat wood trailer and a 5 tine pitchfork I can load, move (at a distance of 50' from the bed) and spread one yard of mulch in under 30 minutes. This equals 13.5 bags to be carried or rolled, opened and then spread. I will usually only use the bag when it's on sale that way even though I feel I may only save as much as 15 minutes in labor per yard, what I do like is that the bag is usually treated to kill weeds for 6 months as well as "guaranteed" to hold its color for a year. Much easier to store out of the weather as well.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-08-2011, 10:34 PM
Shark1611 Shark1611 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Texas Hill Country
Posts: 374
Rep Power: 6
Shark1611 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisher View Post
I would usually wait about 7 days after killing out a bed and then till and treat again and try to wait another seven days before plantings. That's me though not sure about the others. A good 4 inch layer of mulch will greatly help deter any surviving roots or seed below from coming through.

Using a snow shovel on a flat wood trailer and a 5 tine pitchfork I can load, move (at a distance of 50' from the bed) and spread one yard of mulch in under 30 minutes. This equals 13.5 bags to be carried or rolled, opened and then spread. I will usually only use the bag when it's on sale that way even though I feel I may only save as much as 15 minutes in labor per yard, what I do like is that the bag is usually treated to kill weeds for 6 months as well as "guaranteed" to hold its color for a year. Much easier to store out of the weather as well.
Thank you it looks like everyone else agrees do to no postings. I will get to work on theis in the next few days. You have been a great help.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-09-2011, 07:11 AM
Steve's Avatar
Steve Steve is online now
Administrator
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 38,008
Rep Power: 10
Steve has disabled reputation
Default

Quote:
I do like the one year warranty on the plants but thought I would get discounts like when I bought lumber from them.
Do you have any nurseries in your area at all?

I would figure the benefit to buying them at a discount from a nursery would outweigh the big box warranty.
__________________
- Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-09-2011, 08:49 AM
Fisher Fisher is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: White Bluff, TN
Posts: 156
Rep Power: 6
Fisher is on a distinguished road
Default

I'm with Steve on what he said. I save about 30% over the cost of the box stores easy, and when properly installed and the customer is educated on care(especially in summer) I also find that I have much better initial success with the plants from a nursery, for whatever reason they alway seem to do better.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
ID these plants Jack Rabbit Lawn Maintenance / Lawn Renovation 2 04-18-2010 02:20 PM
Pointy Trees Chollie2 Tree Care, Irrigation, Landscaping, Hardscapes 5 04-08-2009 06:39 AM
palm trees toxicweirdo Online Lawn Care Estimator - Help me bid this job 20 01-24-2009 11:22 PM
Trees for troops Steve Lawn Care Marketing & Post your marketing material for review! 1 12-29-2008 02:58 PM
Ornamentals plants out selling tobacco Steve General Business Discussions 0 05-17-2006 11:32 AM

» Recent Threads
  RatingTitle, Username, & Date Last Post Replies Views
Z246 Deck change question
JohnsLawnCare
Yesterday 01:47 PM
Yesterday 06:38 PM
by Steve
1 32
DIY Sprayer
acrajchel
Yesterday 09:13 AM
Yesterday 06:36 PM
by Steve
1 34
Hello Everyone
JohnsLawnCare
06-22-2016 11:14 AM
Yesterday 06:20 PM
by Steve
15 553
How much to charge for...
jymie
03-31-2013 05:59 PM
Yesterday 06:18 PM
by Steve
23 5,949
Hi from Long Island NY
Lori22
07-18-2016 02:01 PM
Yesterday 06:11 PM
by Steve
10 207
Hi everyone!
greenwavemedia
Yesterday 03:22 PM
Yesterday 03:22 PM
by greenwavemedia
0 23
New Site Hows it look
Infinitelawn
03-16-2015 10:32 AM
Yesterday 03:06 PM
by greenwavemedia
5 10,469
Needing a website built
burtle
06-17-2015 09:02 AM
Yesterday 02:58 PM
by greenwavemedia
15 18,311
Looking for new host
Just for Cuts
11-26-2015 06:58 AM
Yesterday 02:49 PM
by greenwavemedia
9 1,472
New Business Owner
danesdanglas87
07-20-2016 12:31 PM
07-21-2016 05:04 PM
by Steve
2 104
Hi! I'm Tony from Tampa
Lawnline
07-12-2016 06:47 PM
07-19-2016 04:45 PM
by Steve
5 626
Question about...
Bradcook21
07-18-2016 05:22 PM
07-19-2016 04:38 PM
by Steve
2 123
Hello from Watertown New...
lawnmanrick81
07-19-2016 03:57 PM
07-19-2016 04:11 PM
by Steve
1 70
Gutter Cleaning Tool
DanielThomas
07-18-2016 08:23 AM
07-18-2016 04:36 PM
by Steve
1 100
Starting on a lawn care...
Coco3465
07-16-2016 11:26 AM
07-17-2016 09:20 AM
by Steve
1 126
Aspiring Company Owner
TJ136
07-12-2016 05:12 AM
07-15-2016 02:52 PM
by SC93
6 226
Hi Everyone
JavelinaLawn
07-10-2016 07:29 PM
07-13-2016 02:01 PM
by Chilehead
5 763
Review of our lawn care...
Lawnline
07-12-2016 06:40 PM
07-12-2016 06:40 PM
by Lawnline
0 398
Custom Canopies
JohnsLawnCare
07-12-2016 08:38 AM
07-12-2016 04:14 PM
by Steve
1 272
Spot checked by...
Just for Cuts
06-28-2016 02:34 PM
07-11-2016 03:53 PM
by Steve
4 291
John Deere JS40 issues
Mr. Mow
07-06-2016 01:28 PM
07-11-2016 03:52 PM
by Steve
3 216
Start My Own Business?
mowandblow1980
01-12-2016 07:43 PM
07-11-2016 11:18 AM
by DanielThomas
15 1,770
Rubber mulch...
avetslawncare
06-24-2015 09:28 PM
07-11-2016 09:11 AM
by Chilehead
9 3,304
Firefighter gone Lawn...
Firehouselawn@hotmail.com
03-10-2016 04:50 PM
07-07-2016 05:07 PM
by Steve
11 10,548
I need some business...
Firehouselawn@hotmail.com
07-06-2016 05:42 AM
07-07-2016 05:00 PM
by Steve
4 258
Business Overload
Chilehead
05-06-2016 09:27 PM
07-07-2016 04:53 PM
by Steve
24 1,270
Chemical Applications
acrajchel
06-24-2016 06:44 PM
07-05-2016 12:38 PM
by Chilehead
6 374
Is it too late?
Cpadgett
05-28-2016 09:10 AM
07-05-2016 11:54 AM
by Steve
14 875
3 Applications or 5...
stansg1fresh
02-18-2013 12:02 PM
07-04-2016 09:19 AM
by LawnPerfection
9 1,707
Best Push Mower You Have...
markty
05-14-2016 03:46 PM
07-02-2016 03:41 AM
by markty
27 1,941
Great Arborist Ladder
SGL1
06-04-2016 09:56 AM
06-28-2016 08:04 PM
by mowandblow1980
11 695
Newbie
Jhoell
06-25-2016 03:28 AM
06-28-2016 02:11 PM
by Chilehead
2 270
Say Hello !!!
Steve
03-19-2007 11:18 AM
06-28-2016 11:02 AM
by Brownieboy
1,253 440,308
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.1.0

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:16 AM.


(C) 2011 Riggs Publications - Terms of use & Privacy Policy

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:16 AM.

(C) 2011 Riggs Publications - Terms of use & Privacy Policy